Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-17, 09:02 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
34] Elanor (Rigby) - quite possibly my favorite Beatles' song

36] Martha My Dear (just kiddin') - Julia - nice, soft tune

45] (Dear) Prudence - interesting song: "DP..... won't you come out to pla-a-aay?

Last edited by EagleGuy; 05-12-17 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-12-17, 09:44 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
The guys have been active! Does anyone know who Phil Vasar is? I didn't but I saw him tonight. Really good performer. More on him later.

Got a wedding tomorrow so my attempts to attend to this will be sporadic, at best.

I show the following unanswered: 23,25,28, 32, 35,37, 39,40, and 43. The usual smashing start. Let's go three each tomorrow and I will try to clean up tomorrow night. There is still a Part Three Name Game Quiz.

For today; OWK's answers have been acknowledged.

The rest of you varmits:

Gardens 35 - two of the more esoteric songs with America's No. 35. Daisy Jane. (I like it). And, Elvis Costello's No. 31 Veronica.

Coldshoulder - with old lovely Rita , the meter maid, No 29 and Shocking Blue's No. 38, Venus.

JB goes way back for Them and Gloria at No. 41. Hits a homer with Roy Orbison's Claudette (and The Everly's) at No. 24. Good mention on The Wilburys; Roy never caught a break.

Finally, just to show he's not a snob our great musicologist nails The Monkees' Valeri at No. 30.

Mr. Slippery slips one in at 42 with Arrowsmith's Janie's got A Gun.

EagleGuy goes yard with The Beatles 0n the soaring No. 34, Eleanor Rigby. When first heard, I thought - "What?" And, a sad-eyed John singing No. 36, Julia about his mum. Finally, we are calling out the Marhareshi who had more than heavenly delights on his mind with No. 45, and The Beatles with Dear Prudence - Mia Farrow's sister.
Quick, Mia 's husband did not go on the trip. What was his name?
Old 05-12-17, 10:11 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
I seem to recall she was married to Woody Allen, a "seedy character".
Old 05-12-17, 10:17 PM
All American

Yes, later on in the 80's, she was. She got to be in all of The Wood Man's movies but he married her daughter, Sun Yi Previn.

At the point with the trip to see the very earthly and earthy, Mahareshi, Mia was Mrs. Frank Sinatra. Still recall how crazy cool 'Ole Blue Eyes' looked in his Nehru jacket.

NOT!

Last edited by Bevo; 05-13-17 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-13-17, 06:30 AM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
25. "Clair"- Gilbert O'Sullivan. Interesting guy as he had the #1 song "Alone Again(Naturally) " and then followed it up with "Clair" which reached #2 as you mentioned in your clue. It nearly made the #1 status but was kept out of the top slot by "Me and Mrs Jones" and then "You're So Vain".

JB
Old 05-13-17, 06:35 AM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
23. Joni Mitchell, singing "Woke up, it was a Chelsea morning"........I could sing more, but it's normally frowned upon at the Monclova household.

As usual, I'm late to the party. Good guessing by our resident (new and old) experts!
Old 05-13-17, 07:08 AM
All American

Yeah, Gilbert - No. 25. - flashed across the sky with Along Again and Clair and then vanished, more or less. To me the early 70's were a vast wasteland. (And, the music wasn't that good either!)

Monclova - you and mom sneaking off on the rest of the Wayward Boys. It was Joni with Chelsea Morning No. - 23..
The rock stars seemed to have loved Joni a lot! I didn't get it on several levels.
Old 05-13-17, 09:38 AM
All American

37. "Devil With A Blue Dress" and/or "Good Golly Miss Molly" - Mitch Ryder & his
Detroit Wheels. By the clue I assume you want the Mitch Ryder medley incorporating
the Little Richard GGMM 50's classic with the DWABD 60's rocker. I would like to have a nickel for every bottle of 3.2% fire brewed Strohs I consumed
while this tune was either blasting out of a Wurlitzer or some house band was belting out this popular request followed by the obligatory
" OK, we're gonna slow it down now". Great memories from the college days.

JB
Old 05-13-17, 10:28 AM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
I thought I'd nailed a couple of answers, but I looked back and I think the following have already been answered correctly:
BlackHawk
35. "My Maria" - BW Stephenson
40. "Michelle" - The Beatles
43. "Rhiannon" - Fleetwood Mac
coldshoulder
39. (Walk Away) Renee

That does leave me with the following guess which was aided with the mention of the composer's recent death.
32. First a poem, then done as a speaking song by Judy Collins in '66. Big hit for this unusual performer who passes this year.
Suzanne, Leonard Cohen

ROCK ON!
Old 05-13-17, 12:08 PM
All American

JB - with a classic rocker with our girl Molly. Fifty one year old song!! No wonder so many of us have a difficult time walking! No. 37.

OWK checks in before heading out for the day.

35. My Maria - doesn't this song just swing?!

Michelle No. 40. One of the most recorded songs ever!

43. Coldshoulder - Rhiannon - funny, not one of my favorites of theirs and they have some nice little rocking love songs.

39. Boy, is Don't Walk Away Reneee a pretty song. I believe we talked about this one once as to how the writer was in love with the girl of another guy in the band. Not good! Four Tops did their stylistic version of this, too.

32. Leonard Cohen - with Suzzane; originally done by Suite Judy Blue Eyes herself.

The Hall and Oates' song is well known and really good!

Last edited by Bevo; 05-13-17 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-13-17, 09:16 PM
All American

28 - Hall and Oates with Sara Smiles. Part three maybe Mother's day.
Old 05-14-17, 04:57 PM
All American

Too busy, too nice! Sometime by noon - Part Three.
Old 05-15-17, 06:30 AM
All American

Got some time so here we go! Four answers from whenever you see this until 4:00. Then we will re-evaluate. As always add what you want and supply band, performer's name or whatever. Part Three of The Name Game Quiz!!

46. Wonderful group with female lead singer with a soaring voice. They were from Australia, I believe. Big hit and they had several. One other hit was "I Know I'll Never Find Another You".

47. "Oh ____, scooby do, I'm in love with you _____, scooby do.

48. Debauched character from a Velvet Underground song. "Sister ___".

49. That great late 60's Chicago sound with The Buckinghams. Everyone knew a girl or two with this name.

50. Classic's Four with a girl's name about the weather.

51. The original rocker ; just died a t90. Old fashioned name. "Oh _______, why can't you be true?"

52. Dexy's Midnight Runners.

53. Clapton's guitar cries for a Boyd (of course) sister on this classic rocker. Best friend's wife and that's not allowed!

54. "Turn on your red light."

55. Swamp music from Creedence a bout a boat.

56. Lead singer of a group that had a hit called "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in". Here singing about a vet's unfaithful wife.

57. 8675309

58. Ram Jam - kicky!!

58. Probably Mellencamp's first big hit about a couple of teens.

59. Dolly Parton's crossover about a man stealing rival.

60. Very long song by Creedence. First hit. Lot of guitar. Swampy.

61. First and last appearance by Kim Carnes; I believe she was in The New Christy Minstrels once.

62. Buddy Holy with the hiccups.

63. Great video featuring a Rod Stewart wife.

64. From The Prime of Miss. ____ Brody. Performer? and song title?

65. The wicked Mr. Pickett

66. Obscure from '62 by the Jaynetts.

67. A wonderful song. Features these lines: "Educated, well intentioned good girl in our town". "Wonder where I'd be if she had married me? Probably be driving kids to school." "Well. I guess I owe it all to ____ _____."
Old 05-15-17, 08:36 AM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
52. Eilleen
54. Roxanne
Old 05-15-17, 09:44 AM
All American

Gardens tending to the quiz knocks out No. 52 - Eileen and poor No. 54 - Roxanne. Good start!!
Old 05-15-17, 09:46 AM
All American

46. Georgy Girl - The Seekers
49. Susan - The Buckinghams
50. Stormy - Classics IV
51.Maybelline - Chuck Berry

JB
Old 05-15-17, 10:05 AM
All American

JB picks some nice period piece music with No. - 49 - Susan by The Buckinghams ("I love you ; yes; I do, I do... .") so, reminds me of 66-68. Classics IV with No - 50 is the same thing with Stormy. So - of that era.

The wonderful Georgy Girl by The Seekers is correct for - No. 46. Just one of those bands that popped up every once amidst all of the noise with a great song . A national treasure in Australia. Google for one of their reunion concerts. The female lead may have passed away, not sure.

Mr. Chuck Berry at No. 51. Lot of love for the real king of rock and his amazing early work.
Old 05-15-17, 10:28 AM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
57. "Jenny" - Tommy Tutone
58. "Black Betty" - Ram Jam (the first #58 on your list )
62. "Peggy Sue" - Buddy Holly

Ram Jam was formed by some ex-members of The Lemon Pipers, out of Oxford, Ohio. I saw Ram Jam (then named Starstruck) play "Black Betty" at the Boars Head Inn (now defunct?) in Oxford back in the seventies.
Old 05-15-17, 10:32 AM
All World

61. First and last appearance by Kim Carnes; I believe she was in The New Christy Minstrels once.
Betty (Davis Eyes)
64. From The Prime of Miss. ____ Brody. Performer? and song title?
Jean; Oliver
65. The wicked Mr. Pickett
Sally (Mustang Sally)

Keep the Ball Rollin'
Old 05-15-17, 10:37 AM
Varsity

rdlwolverine is on a distinguished road
Late to the party here, was away this weekend in Chapel Hill for son's girlfriend's graduation.

56 - Ruby (Don't take your love to town) - Kenny Rogers (and the First Edition?)
58 - Jack and Dianne - John Mellencamp's family was a very wealthy, prominent family in the part of Indiana in which he grew up. I think they owned department stores. He wanted to avoid association with the family when he was starting out in the area which is why he originally went by John Cougar and only added Mellencamp back in later.
64 - Jean (you''re young and alive) - Oliver
Old 05-15-17, 11:27 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlwolverine View Post
Late to the party here, was away this weekend in Chapel Hill for son's girlfriend's graduation.

56 - Ruby (Don't take your love to town) - Kenny Rogers (and the First Edition?)
58 - Jack and Dianne - John Mellencamp's family was a very wealthy, prominent family in the part of Indiana in which he grew up. I think they owned department stores. He wanted to avoid association with the family when he was starting out in the area which is why he originally went by John Cougar and only added Mellencamp back in later.
64 - Jean (you''re young and alive) - Oliver
rdlwolverine - Sounds like a nice visit to UNC...pretty area. Hey, I messed you up on #64. I originally had Peggy Sue (#62) as one of my picks. I was beaten by the clock on that answer by BlackHawk. As a result, I changed that answer to #64 ("Jean") which messed up your answer.

Very sorry, but you do have another guess.

ROCK ON!
Old 05-15-17, 11:32 AM
All American

Hey - outside peeling paint with the boy. He's worse now at 21 then he was at 13.

BlackHawk - No. 57 - Jenny by Tommy Tutone . Song was ok; Tommy Tutone? I hope that was a stage name?

58 - Black Betty - I listened to this again. Man, I would have been right in front of the stage!! This song crackles!

62. - Buddy H. and The Crickets at 62 with Peggy Sue. Our loss. What would his full career have been like? There is a reason that John Lennon picked the name "Beatles".

OWK pops in after telling the Mrs. he was working on some "tax stuff" - No. 61 - Kim Carnes' raspy Betty Davis Eyes.
My best friend's mom was Betty Bennett.

64. by Oliver and from the movie The Prime of Miss. Jean Brody (starring Maggie Smith). I always found this song romantic and sad and I loved it. Where is Oliver? (Probably with Tommy Tutone playing the Wyandot Country Fair this Sept.)

No. 65 - the first Mrs. Bevo was a "Sally". Think the world of her and have stayed friendly over 50 years (but we never see each other). No chance when bride and groom are 18 and 19. Toughed it out for six years. Interestingly enough, she is a grade school counselor and so was I. We had nothing but she took a rocking chair Christmas present I had bought her. I didn't care then - now I need it back!

Wilson Pickett, of course.

OWK - her folks had a pond.

rdlwolverine - I know Jack and Diane are correct. My math - so I can't count! No. 58 Loved this song. Interesting that John said he didn't care for the tune. Hit in the spring and summer of '82 and went deeply into lovers everywhere. I did not know that about the Mellencamps. I know he was called Littel Bas##rd.
I have a friend who has seen John over 25 times. I liked I Need A Lover. Does anyone recall when the band played a very small venue in Circlesville or Chillacothes?
Check out the you tube of Check It Out live from The Market Square Arena. You will TURN IT UP!

First band I ever saw on The Today Show was in 1969 and it was The First Edition. They played "Condition..." No. 56 Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town. Good song - different. Sort of like "One Tin Soldier".

Last edited by Bevo; 05-15-17 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-15-17, 02:40 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
We're late again (we'll try not to make this a habit, Mr. Bevo sir):

47. Denise.....Mrs. Monclova shows off by knowing it's by Randy & the Rainbows.

55. Proud Mary

60. Suzy Q This is still CCR's best!
Old 05-15-17, 04:54 PM
All American

Yeah, you both need to quit work to participate. Reminds me of my first year at New Riegel. On honors' night, Barney (real name) was receiving an award for not missing a day of school from K -12th. Sadly, he was not present. True.

No. 47 Denise is a happy song; makes me want to go to Upper's teen club in the late 50's , early 60's - The Teepee.

No. 55 - Proud Mary; not my favorite - played by every band in America.

No. 60 - Suzy Q; my favorite along with Looking Out My Back Door.

My math is wrecking the quiz! Not to worry; everyone is getting everything correct. I show the following unanswered: 48, 53, 59, 63, and 66. Tell me if I am wrong.

The numbers listed are shown on teh quiz for the question - even if not in sequence! So, if you want to answer 63, it is 63 on the quiz, even if it shouldn't be!

Let's go two each and then I know there is at least one, possibly two - unless the big bat returns - that will go unanswered.

Last edited by Bevo; 05-15-17 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-15-17, 07:31 PM
All American

66. "Sally, Go 'Round The Roses"- The Jaynettes

Bevo, I felt it was only fitting that I answer this question since you answered it back in September as part of my "One Hit Wonders" series, lol. For an instant replay check out post # 526 from 9/3/16. Only difference... it was the 1963 quiz instead of 1962.

JB
Old 05-15-17, 07:44 PM
All American

Do you have everything on microfilm?!

I actually thought thought that OWK had some part in that question. I have played the song enough now that I am starting to like it. Very strange, though; especially for then.

Listening to this on my aqua-colored, eight-transistor Chanel Master was why I was close to flunking out of the 6th. grade.

Great job as I would expect the unexpected from you!

As for what's left:

48 Is a Velvet Underground song and it's an album cut. Not a great song but an Andy Warhol type female is in the song.

53. Not a difficult question at all; It's Clapton's biggest hit by far, I would say, at least early hit.

59. Dolly is worried about the vixen stealing her man. "Please don't take him just because you can."

63. The hot mom in this video is Rachel Hunter, Rod Stewart's then wife. Maybe still?

66. The singer/songwriter is Leo Kotke. Who? This song was written by Tom T. Hall. Great story and lyrics by Tom and helped along by Leo and his slide 12-string guitar. Several you tube performances of this.
Old 05-15-17, 07:50 PM
All American

I just looked back at 526 and noticed that I mentioned my aqua-colored eight transistor radio in that post!!! !
Old 05-15-17, 08:13 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
I just looked back at 526 and noticed that I mentioned my aqua-colored eight transistor radio in that post!!! !
Yes, you did and I recall comparing that vision to Chuck Berry's mention of a "coffee colored Cadillac in the song "Nadine". As the Boss tells the story, no one had ever actually seen a coffee colored Cadillac, but could visualize one by closing their eyes and picturing one and yes, I can see that aqua colored transistor radio.

Your inquiry from the vault about micro-film reminded me of the time a co-worker was terminated for falsifying an expense report in which he requested a bogus reimbursement for the purchase of " new worm gears for the micro-fiche". Now that's some kind of imagination !!

Btw, I'm still sitting on several years worth of "One Hit Wonders" quizzes that I put on hold last fall as the interest waned, you have been warned. . .just sayin' lol.

JB

Last edited by Johnstown Benny; 05-15-17 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-15-17, 08:40 PM
All American

I ready for whatever you want to roll with. Let's face it; we have about five regulars and a stray loyalist off the reservation here and there and that's it.

I've tried to make it easier and not belabor anything. More clues and lyrics. After all, the prizes here are very small. When it starts to wane, just wrap it up and move on to the next "thing" - whatever it is. We've always said that the best part of what we do is what we talk about when we are suppose to be talking about something else.

From the looks of our "view" count, people visit but move on. We are sort of like the 101 year old guy who took a sky dive today and said he's like to do it again on his 102nd.! That's us! We will just keep doing whatever this is until the last one standing drinks the cognac, knowing that others will stop by to watch but may not want to leap from a plane.

So, jump in at your leisure. I have about four more of these things to go and each takes no more than two days, possibly three. With so few players, it gets late early.

I'll break whenever.
Old 05-15-17, 09:22 PM
All Region

coldshoulder is on a distinguished road
53. "Layla" -- Derek & the Dominos

63. "Stacey's Mom" -- Fountains of Wayne

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: