Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-18, 04:37 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
That's some serious hair, man...

Rockin' song!
Old 06-09-18, 09:21 PM
All Ohio

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Channel-surfing ... there's a doc about the Beatles on PBS right now. Looks pretty interesting.
Old 06-11-18, 10:33 AM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
I missed that and went looking for future viewing and couldn't see it being repeated.

New quiz a-comin' on song characters, muses, heart breakers, etc. (Hint - lots of girls!)

Why do guys join bands? No. 1 - Girls! Girls! Girls! Girls! No. 2 - Money to get girls!!

I saw Springsteen last night on the Tonys and thought he was really good. Would love to see Springsteen on Broadway.

Last edited by Bevo; 06-11-18 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-11-18, 04:45 PM
All American

Here is your first subject ...go:

1. From '82 Song was suppose to be about an interracial couple; tried to convey small-town life. Big summer hit.

2. This '64 tune was for a girl named Lupe Lugana; sung by a duo.

3. "You're my pride and joy, etc." Band said it was a throw away song to another hit they had. A connection to Frank Zappa.

4. This '66 hit featured a dulcimer and harpsichord. Lady Anne is mentioned in the song.

5. A Dale Hawkins' hit from '57; redone by these swamp music guys. Lot of infighting; star is still at it.

6. The working title for this was "Scrambled Eggs".

7. "Here's my story, it's sad but true".

8. From 63; the B side was "Little Deuce Coupe". About the time of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth - who was he? JB knows.

9. Another hit by No. 8; featured the wrecking crew players of Glen Campbell, Carol Kaya, Hal blaine and even Daryl Dragon.

10. Song was no. 1 in '73 and again 23 years later. First time by a solo artist and the second time by a duo.

11. "I played the janitor, you played the monitor".

12. "Has a pretty little flower bed of white gardenas".

13. By Paper Lace in '74.

14. No. 4 in '62; sort of a ballad and th guy who did this,"He was the bravest of them all".

15. "He stood 6'6" and weighed 245."

16. "He lay face down in the desert sand, clutching his six-gun in his hand". In another medium this performer owned a pretty big piece of land.

17. "The festival was over and the boys were all planning for the fall. The cabaret was quiet - cept for the drillin' in the wall".

18. "All you're life you've never seen a woman taken by the wind". Would you stay if she promised you heaven; will you ever win"?

19. "The kid's not my son".

20. "You don't need to turn on your red light".

21. "Now somewhere in the black mining hills of Dakota there lived a young boy named ___ ___. And one day his woman ran off with another man".

22. Stones - Ruby ____.

23. "And I need you more than want you and I want you for all time". Beautiful song.

24. This then recently married boxom "blonde" thought a red-headed bank clerk was flirting with her new husband.

25. "Well, I'm not the world's most passionate guy but when she squeezed me once it nearly broke my spine".

26. This ole doo wooper had a major hit with this song around 50 years ago about recent murders.

Three correct answers tonight and then again tomorrow. This should go quickly. I have more after this.

Last edited by Bevo; 06-12-18 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-11-18, 04:55 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
16: Ringo - Mr.Greene of Bonanza fame

15: Big Bad John : at the bottom of this mine lies a big, big man. / Jimmy Dean (sausage anyone)

7: Run Around Sue : Dion

:>---

EGA

Last edited by ohiopup; 06-11-18 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-11-18, 05:06 PM
All Yappi

#8: Ed Roth ...the Beatnik Bandit and other awesome cars... Rat Fink

(I won't name the song)

EGA
Old 06-11-18, 05:11 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
5. A Dale Hawkins' hit from '57; redone by these swamp music guys. Lot of infighting; star is still at it.
"Suzy Q" (later done by CCR)
2. This '64 tune was for a girl named Lupe Lugana; sung by a duo.
"Little Latin Lupe Lu" (written by Bill Medley)
14. No. 4 in '62; sort of a ballad and th guy who did this,"He was the bravest of them all".
"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" (Gene Pitney)

ROCK ON!
Old 06-11-18, 05:39 PM
All American

Get the brooms out; some guys are skipping supper to get this thang going!

Pup - 16. Yes, the proud land baron, Ben Cartwright.

17. The Sausage king of Chicago and everywhere else. I barely remember his tv show.

7. Loved Dion1 What a hipster!!

8. Good call on Ed Roth - I remember he was huge for a brief time in magazines (ads). I dug all of it! good job on not answering the music question and leaving it for others since you alerady got your three for the evening.

OWK - In from a few rounds of putt-putt.

5. Creedence with Suzy Q

2. Little Latin Lupe Lu by The Righteous Brothers

14. Gene Pitney - Sort of an unknown balladeer - superstar. This is The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Loved Twenty-Four Hour from Tulsa.

Good start - as usual! Time for beans; this is breakfast for supper night here.

Last edited by Bevo; 06-11-18 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-11-18, 06:02 PM
All Region

coldshoulder is on a distinguished road
1.) "Jack and Diane" -- John Cougar Mellencamp

20.) "Roxanne" -- The Police

25.) ("...L-O-L-A)...."Lola" -- The Kinks.....

I had a dog named Lola , half black lab, half St. Bernard, she was the best, very friendly despite her imposing size and bark. It's been three years since we had to put her down...I really miss her.
Old 06-11-18, 06:13 PM
All American

Coldshoulder - you all are pretty good at this!

1. Oh yeah - life goes onnnn; long after the thrill of living is gone. Oh yeah, they say life goes onnn...let me tell you about Jack and Diane. Two American kids doing the best they can.
Special place for me as Mrs. Bev and I first went out that summer; seems corny now. But, oh my - back then!

20. I was never a big Police fan but I really like this song! Roxanne.

25. I am not sure what I thought when I first heard Lola. Now, I get it, I think! Kinky from the Kinks! Our gal pal Chrissie Hynde had a child with one of these guys.
Old 06-11-18, 06:17 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
6. "Yesterday" - The Beatles

10. "My Maria" - BW Stevenson and Brooks & Dunn

22. "Ruby Tuesday" - The Rolling Stones
Old 06-11-18, 06:33 PM
All American

BlackHawk - 6. Good on those "eggs" by The Beatles. Isn't this one of the most re-recorded songs ever? George Martin influence with the strings. Wasn't Mc. around 24! Incredible maturity of emotion.

10. My Maria - A pretty vague clue so great job! I bet all of you guys "have some moves" on this. Makes my parts start jerking around and I get some serious air drum in.

22. Ruby Tuesday - I remember playing this song on the juke box (Along with No Milk Today ) at the Upper bowling alley in '66-'67.

Check out Dusty Springfield singing 24 Hours To Tulsa. Nails it!

Last edited by Bevo; 06-11-18 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-11-18, 07:02 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
3. Eleanor -- The Turtles

11. Kerry Anne -- The Hollies

18. Rhiannon -- Fleetwood Mac
Old 06-11-18, 08:03 PM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
13. The Night Chicago Died
23. Wichita Lineman
24. Dolly Parton's "Jolene"
Old 06-11-18, 08:06 PM
All American

Monclova - I was going to start off by saying all we were missing were you and the Diva but you have accorded yourself well (probably with an assist from Mrs.) by your trifecta.

3. Eleanor was the follow up to Happy Together. Rock Hall - should be. Use to see them at noon on Where The Action Is before Iwent to the pool. (Boy, was that I had life.)

11. Carrie Anne - think Edwardian. One of the first 45'sd I owned was Look Through Any Window.

18. Fleetwood Mac who had a former guitar player die this week. I weep for that and that Stevie and all of those swirling and twirling hemlines is 70!!
Old 06-11-18, 08:10 PM
All American

Still need: 4, 8, 9, 13, 17, 19, 21, 23, 24 and 26.
Old 06-11-18, 08:13 PM
All Region

I'm here; got 13, 23, 24.
Old 06-11-18, 09:02 PM
All American

Ah yes, the fair one is in the house.

Just a brief commercial for our fine little village. Couldn't help but notice tonight in our paper all of the doings in our town this past weekend: Fishing Derby at the park, St. Peter's one day Festival (Sat.) and finally our annual Pawzfest where anyone who wants brings their animal to the park to show off and goof off.

Finally, the banner has been raised from one side of main to the other announcing our annual Wyanstock (music fest and food at the fairgrounds); usually held in conjunction with the Fourth of July (fireworks at the high school) and which also includes our annual Firemens' July Fourth Chicken Barbeque.

By then town soft and hardball are close to wrapping up, the flag girls are practicing on the front lawn at the high school, and you can go anywhere in town and hear the band practicing at the football field for the upcoming season. Soon the cross country girlies and guys will be jogging throughout the downtown area.
Old 06-11-18, 09:07 PM
All Region

Yes, we lie awake every year the night of the festival because the band keeps us awake. They closed early this year because of the rain though.

I do love our town. And I am one of those running through the streets. My husband and I signed up for the Shelby triathlon today. I train every day for them, as does he. He's going for an Ironman, however, next year in Florida. I have no desire to go that far, so I just support him and do the less strenuous triathlons.
Old 06-11-18, 09:19 PM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Dolly Parton's God-daughter, Miley Cyrus, did a great cover of "Jolene". It's worth a listen. It was done before Miley went weird.
Old 06-11-18, 09:52 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
19. "Billy Jean" - Michael Jackson

26. "Abraham, Martin, and John" - Dion
Old 06-11-18, 10:30 PM
All American

my2sense - welcome to the show! You are correct on No. 24 and correct also on Miley's rendition of Jolene. She also does a pretty decent version of Dylan's Girl From North Country, I believe.

Zunardo - another regular drops by. One of the iron six (or seven) propelling this undertaking.

19. Billie Jean - Yes, the King of Pop says, The kid is not my son. Wasn't this what Michael was doing on Motown 25 when he introduced the moonwalk to America?

26. This beautiful tribute by Dion to the fallen Kennedy brothers and Abraham Lincoln, with the harp added, sounds like something you would imagine hearing in Heaven. Good clip somewhere on You Tube of Dion doing the tune on The Smothers' Brothers show.

As was pointed out when we discussed this Dion gem a while back, Dion said that he received thousands of letters from listeners thanking him for the song.

What's left? 4, 8, 9, 13, 17, 21, 23. Start again when you awake. I am off to The James in the morning, bright and early, and won't get back to this until mid-day.

I'll offer up a few more hints if need be.
Old 06-11-18, 10:43 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Monclova - I was going to start off by saying all we were missing were you and the Diva but you have accorded yourself well (probably with an assist from Mrs.) by your trifecta.
Thanks for the kind words, my brother from another mother.
As always, Mrs. M was right by my side telling me what it was that I was supposed to do .
The great thing is that she's always right!
Old 06-11-18, 10:46 PM
All American

It IS always nice when she tells me what I think!
Old 06-12-18, 06:23 AM
All Region

I think you missed my answers. Check out #5894 last night at 9:03, just after Monclova Steve posted.

Bevo's ignoring me.
Old 06-12-18, 08:57 AM
All World

Here are a couple of adds that I think are still unanswered:

4. This '66 hit featured a dulcimer and harpsichord. Lady Anne is mentioned in the song.
Lady Jane, Rolling Stones
8. From 63; the B side was "Little Deuce Coupe". About the time of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth - who was he? JB knows.
Surfer Girl, Beach Boys (no clue about Ed "Big Daddy" Roth)

ROCK ON!
Old 06-12-18, 09:03 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
I think you missed my answers. Check out #5894 last night at 9:03, just after Monclova Steve posted.

Bevo's ignoring me.
Diva - Bevo would never ignore you. I'll also post YOUR previous answers:

13. The Night Chicago Died
23. Wichita Lineman
24. Dolly Parton's "Jolene"

ROCK ON!
Old 06-12-18, 09:55 AM
All Region

Thanks OWK
Old 06-12-18, 11:55 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
...] (no clue about Ed "Big Daddy" Roth)

ROCK ON!
See my post #5886 (higher upon this page)...

Also ...

(Plastic model kit makers) Revell and Hawk had several 'Roth' creations on the market, back in the day...

IE.

EGA
Old 06-12-18, 12:19 PM
All American

Ok, ok, ok...I missed it! Jeeshhhh!! I have never ignored a woman. Even the 30ish ultra sound girl this morning told me I was a 'delightful' gentleman, (after my old man flirtiness wore her down)... wait for it...and reminded her of her dad!

Diva - 13. - I had Billy Don't Be A Hero for this but if they did The Night Chicago Died, good enough.

23. The exquisite Glen Campbell with a classic song of longing and yearning. The Wichita Lineman.

24. I've read many times that Dolly and Carl Dean are together forever but what happens behind closed doors stays there. Jolene it is. Good call for Miley on this, also.

OWK - thanks for bringing Diva's answers out where I could find them .

4. It is the Stones with Lady Jane. Never loved the song - ok

8. Guess you could call this a two-sided hit, right? You are the expert on Brain and the boys. There is a more than great version of Surfer Girl sung and played acoustically by Paul Simon on a Brian Wilson tribute show.

And there is always Lorrie Morgan's jaw dropping performance with the boys on Don't Worry Baby. Watch her and Paul on You Tube. Simon's performance is ethereal and Morgan can't believe she is actually doing the tune with the guys.

I always lose count - what's left - 9, 12, 17 and 21.

Last edited by Bevo; 06-12-18 at 01:05 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: