Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-27-17, 07:33 AM
All World

coachg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by belied dat View Post
Tons of good stuff here in your post.

Just want to expand thoughts on the bold/underline part. While there was MAJOR feedback on the DA not allowing HS soccer. Why isn't there ANY real feedback on NFHS (well, their state associations) not permitting players to do HS and club/DA at the same time?

Everyone wants USSF to cave in on this, but literally no one has addressed this from NFHS standpoint. NFHS has the exact same mandate that USSF does, just for their side. States have the decision to either go with it or against it. I know some states do allow for club and HS in the same season (Oklahoma being one I know of, immediately).

This whole issue could be solved if NFHS and USSF worked things out...just like USSF and any college organization (NJCAA, NCAA, NAIA, USCAA, NCCAA). Imagine if these entities worked together, everyone could essentially get what they wanted out of the sport AND the educational setting.

I agree with you 100%. Does anyone know how it works in the states that allow players to play in both in the same season? I am interested in how they train do players attend training for both teams so possibly train twice a day? How are the multiple games that HS plays a week handled? I would love to see OHSAA and USSF work together and resolve this for the players.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-17, 08:15 AM
All Region

belied dat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachg View Post
I agree with you 100%. Does anyone know how it works in the states that allow players to play in both in the same season? I am interested in how they train do players attend training for both teams so possibly train twice a day? How are the multiple games that HS plays a week handled? I would love to see OHSAA and USSF work together and resolve this for the players.
In my experience, semi-knowledgeable with Oklahoma HS, players do attend training twice a day. HS games are typically avoided with conflict and/or possibility of playing twice in one day. HS games in certain states are scheduled on specific days, so there is even less conflict with club -- Kansas is one that typically play games on Tuesdays and Thursdays (but, there's no club during season). Yes, there will be other days of the week when games are played, but that's typically a weekday.

I have heard ZERO complaints about this setup. The only time the complaints come into play is with the DA mandate. NFHS mandate brings no complaints.

Here's another coach who lost his job because he was offering girls to train (break scholastic eligibility rules) with a club during HS season.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/high-sc...146981989.html
Old 04-27-17, 09:09 AM
All District

Conan73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by belied dat View Post
Tons of good stuff here in your post.

Just want to expand thoughts on the bold/underline part. While there was MAJOR feedback on the DA not allowing HS soccer. Why isn't there ANY real feedback on NFHS (well, their state associations) not permitting players to do HS and club/DA at the same time?

Everyone wants USSF to cave in on this, but literally no one has addressed this from NFHS standpoint. NFHS has the exact same mandate that USSF does, just for their side. States have the decision to either go with it or against it. I know some states do allow for club and HS in the same season (Oklahoma being one I know of, immediately).

This whole issue could be solved if NFHS and USSF worked things out...just like USSF and any college organization (NJCAA, NCAA, NAIA, USCAA, NCCAA). Imagine if these entities worked together, everyone could essentially get what they wanted out of the sport AND the educational setting.

Good point. Why doesn't OHSAA allow players to play club soccer, while also playing for their respective high schools? For that matter, why doesn't OHSAA allow players to participate in college ID camps during the high school season? To me, they are selfishly looking out for their interests at the expense of the players.

Virginia and Florida are two states that do allow players to do high school and club at the same time. In both instances, players have been known to go to both practices on the same day (high school practice right after school and then go to club practice). If there is no conflict on game day, they may play both a high school game and a club game on the same day. However, if there is a showcase tournament or game that will have college scouts, the player will skip their high school game and play their club game instead. This pisses off the high school coaches, which is probably behind OHSAA's rule that prohibits kids from playing club during the high school season.

I personally don't like the idea of having kids playing both at the same time. In today's world where people can't make choices and want to do everything, it can lead to overtraining, which can lead to burnout and injuries. This is why the DA has said that they do not want their players to play high school soccer while playing in the DA. In any case, I think that kids should have a choice. The high school associations should give kids the right to play club soccer during the season if they want to. The kid can decide if they want to play for both teams during the season.
Old 04-27-17, 09:21 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
IMHO it's too much to play HS and club soccer at the same time. Overuse injuries would spike substantially. Additionally, one team will always get the "short end of the stick." This is seen now when an athlete plays two different sports in the same season. Think of the athlete that maybe runs XC or golfs for the HS in the fall and plays club soccer at the same time. What about the basketball player that plays club soccer? In the past, during the spring, I've seen track athletes that play soccer also. One team always gets shorted. Is it OK for a club player to skip out on soccer training to play in contests for his or her high school and then show up on game day to play in a match? The reverse is also true. Is it OK for an athlete to skip out on practices for the HS sport and then only show up for meets or games? Even if it is OK for all the coaches involved there will be some animosity from the other athletes if practices are skipped - guaranteed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: