Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-13-14, 01:43 PM
All Ohio

The Revolution is on a distinguished road
The Official Beau Balderson and Terry Peterson Must Go Thread

This morning I realized that the Jackson Polar Bears have had a great run at many of their fall sports this year. The volleyball and girl's golf teams were both state runner up. Both soccer teams made it to the regional finals, and the boy's cross country team made it to the state meet.

With all of that greatness, why doesn't TP hold the football team to that same standard? Balderson publicly stated that his team would win a Federal League Championship and make a playoff appearance within 3 years of him starting.

So far he has done none of that. Although his teams have shown improvement, the schedule has been drastically watered down. No longer are the days when Jackson plays Solon, Hudson, or Fitch.

I think Balderson needs to be held accountable for his team not winning. These have been some of the most talented teams Jackson has had in recent memory. Since Balderson has started, Jackson has had more Division 1 and 2 players than any coach, however his team fail to live up to expectations. Bring in a new defensive coordinator is not enough. It's time to quite blaming the defense. He is the head coach! Not the OC.

I know people on here are going to start calling the kids soft, however that isn't true. Kids in Jackson are a lot likes kids anywhere else. They may not have the struggles of other kids, but they aren't soft like so many of you believe they are.

If I had to bet, every kid on that team would love to play Massillon (just as an example), however it is the administration and the head coach that don't want to. They are the ones that fuel this stigma about Jackson being soft. This has to change and it starts with Terry Peterson and Beau Balderson.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-14, 02:06 PM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revolution View Post
This morning I realized that the Jackson Polar Bears have had a great run at many of their fall sports this year. The volleyball and girl's golf teams were both state runner up. Both soccer teams made it to the regional finals, and the boy's cross country team made it to the state meet.

With all of that greatness, why doesn't TP hold the football team to that same standard? Balderson publicly stated that his team would win a Federal League Championship and make a playoff appearance within 3 years of him starting.

So far he has done none of that. Although his teams have shown improvement, the schedule has been drastically watered down. No longer are the days when Jackson plays Solon, Hudson, or Fitch.

I think Balderson needs to be held accountable for his team not winning. These have been some of the most talented teams Jackson has had in recent memory. Since Balderson has started, Jackson has had more Division 1 and 2 players than any coach, however his team fail to live up to expectations. Bring in a new defensive coordinator is not enough. It's time to quite blaming the defense. He is the head coach! Not the OC.

I know people on here are going to start calling the kids soft, however that isn't true. Kids in Jackson are a lot likes kids anywhere else. They may not have the struggles of other kids, but they aren't soft like so many of you believe they are.

If I had to bet, every kid on that team would love to play Massillon (just as an example), however it is the administration and the head coach that don't want to. They are the ones that fuel this stigma about Jackson being soft. This has to change and it starts with Terry Peterson and Beau Balderson.
Balderson might be open to playing Massillon now that the Tigers are getting a new coach.
Old 11-13-14, 03:20 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Balderson might be open to playing Massillon now that the Tigers are getting a new coach.
I don't about that. Beau and Hall are pretty good friends. I would think that would make a game between these two schools more likely.
Old 11-13-14, 03:25 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Huh?
Old 11-13-14, 03:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I don't about that. Beau and Hall are pretty good friends. I would think that would make a game between these two schools more likely.
What?
Old 11-13-14, 03:31 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
What?
Explain.....
Old 11-13-14, 04:48 PM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They are the ones that fuel this stigma about Jackson being soft.
I have never understood this excuse as to Jackson's lack of football success. I mean when you look at some of the successful teams this year or even D1 teams that have won or competed for state titles, many of these schools and districts look very much like Jackson - Hudson, Upper Arlington, the Hillards. It can be done.
Old 11-13-14, 05:01 PM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Because Balderson and Hall are friends, it's possible they didn't want to schedule a game between the two teams, not wanting to inflict a loss upon the other.
Old 11-13-14, 05:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Explain.....
I truly do not want to derail a thread that is critical of Jackson, but Mass v. JAX not playing has 0% to do with the coaches. They 100% would. So would have McDaniels & Mauro & I cant remember who else you've had.
Old 11-13-14, 05:51 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
I truly do not want to derail a thread that is critical of Jackson, but Mass v. JAX not playing has 0% to do with the coaches. They 100% would. So would have McDaniels & Mauro & I cant remember who else you've had.
You're 50% wrong. Balderson would not play Massillon. Have you seen the cupcakes they've scheduled??? Akron-whomever, Northwest, and Toledo 1-win!!!!

Beau is trying to buy wins. I have no doubt that Mauro or McD would have scheduled Massillon.

Instead of trying to make his program better he is attempting to schedule teams he should beat, so that he can squeak into the playoffs (well he hasn't yet) and get crushed in the 1st round.

If you really followed Jackson football you can clearly see the shift away from scheduling a good division 1 schedule since 2010.
Old 11-13-14, 05:54 PM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Interesting topic, I am hearing that this is an active conversation concerning the football program.
Old 11-13-14, 11:45 PM
All World

BIG ED is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
Interesting topic, I am hearing that this is an active conversation concerning the football program.
Hmmmmm, I would say that Coach Balderson's seat may be a bit hot. Just a guess.
Old 11-14-14, 06:27 AM
Cooling Off

M2M can only hope to improve
Throw in that the basketball team has won a title and baseball had a great run as well - the football program is the weak sister.
Old 11-14-14, 06:28 AM
Cooling Off

M2M can only hope to improve
Maybe Hall will replace his "good friend"?
Old 11-14-14, 08:01 AM
All Ohio

ernie eagle is on a distinguished road
Talent

Jackson in my opinion is one of the best jobs and best kept secrets when it comes to football in Stark county football. Look at the talent that they had the last couple of years. They need to focus on playing defense and toughen up. They have been at the top of the food chain in other sports. Baseball, Basketball Soccer, Boys and Girls sports. No reason they shouldn't be more successful in football
Old 11-14-14, 08:45 AM
All World

unclebob is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

must be a Mount Union thing...this sounds all to familiar to me.
Old 11-14-14, 08:46 AM
All World

unclebob is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
You're 50% wrong. Balderson would not play Massillon. Have you seen the cupcakes they've scheduled??? Akron-whomever, Northwest, and Toledo 1-win!!!!

[B]Beau is trying to buy wins. I have no doubt that Mauro or McD would have scheduled Massillon.

Instead of trying to make his program better he is attempting to schedule teams he should beat, so that he can squeak into the playoffs (well he hasn't yet) and get crushed in the 1st round.

If you really followed Jackson football you can clearly see the shift away from scheduling a good division 1 schedule since 2010.
and this..
Old 11-14-14, 10:05 AM
All Ohio

Even though people see how lousy of a job Beau Beau is doing, I do not think TP will get rid of him.
Old 11-14-14, 10:05 AM
All Ohio

Nor do I think Hall would ever come to Jackson if they did fine Beau.
Old 11-14-14, 12:25 PM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
The problems with the defense have been rehashed many a time... they ran a ridiculous scheme for five seasons that let every team with a halfway decent rushing threat score at will. Jackson could only win if they had the ball last. With the switch to the 3-4, and despite what a lot of people have said, the defense did tighten up this year so that it was at least serviceable.

I like a lot of what Balderson does offensively -- he goes for touchdowns instead of field goals, he pushes it on fourth and short. BUT, he doesn't know when to rein it in: consider the GlenOak game, down 21-20 late in the half and Jackson goes for it on 4th down at their OWN 31? Jackson failed to convert and it led directly to a GO touchdown. It happened again in the Boardman game, somewhere around their own 45 or so, though this was a more marginal situation.

People love to rag on Jackson, but the fact is from the mid 80s to the mid 2000s they regularly had some pretty good teams, Federal League championships, and playoff appearances. The talent is there again to be good. I credit Balderson for getting the numbers back up in the football program after the pay-to-play/McDaniels years, but I think his judgment is just too suspect. He could stay on as offensive coordinator, but six seasons as head coach is enough.
Old 11-14-14, 12:45 PM
All Region

Stack Attack is on a distinguished road
As a Northwest fan, playing Jackson is pretty cool but in reality it is a lose lose situation for Jackson and a win win for NW. D1 school playing and beating a D4 does absolutely nothing for Jackson as far as computer points. Your the 2nd biggest school district in stark county. Play people your size!! Why run away from d2 Massillon.
As a fan of the neighboring school lot of my family lives/played for Jackson and honestly the biggest problem with Jackson is not talent (some years yes). It's complete arrogance and politics.
Going public saying you will win the FED is a joke. (Who the hell do you think you are?) since when is Jackson the federal league's top dog?
1. Schedule tougher teams
2. Get in the playoffs first
3. Win the federal league
4. Winning tradition brings toughness and attitude.
5. Get your best athletes out for football. Lot of jacksons best ATH focus on 1 sport.
6. Let Beau Balderson coach! He took over a 0-10 program! And has turned them into something relevant. Give him a few more years. Soph class is very talented! Could be something special to watch
Old 11-14-14, 12:55 PM
All American

I agree with most of what you said, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack Attack View Post
6. Let Beau Balderson coach! He took over a 0-10 program! And has turned them into something relevant. Give him a few more years. Soph class is very talented! Could be something special to watch
Balderson didn't take over an 0-10 program. Jackson was hovering around .500 under McDaniels (they averaged about 7-3 under Mauro), they were 0-10 in Balderson's first year and 3-7 in his second. And now they're just back to hovering around .500 again. I do agree that there was a lack of talent when Balderson first started though.

I honestly don't mind him sticking around, as I think the kids like him -- but he's got to cut down on silly mistakes and keep things simple defensively (i.e. stop the run).
Old 11-14-14, 01:09 PM
All District

invader03
Jackson has not improved that much under coach.

I always wondered why he got the job in the first place. It is not like he was that great in parma anyway. Team got better when he left.
Old 11-14-14, 01:20 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
The problems with the defense have been rehashed many a time... they ran a ridiculous scheme for five seasons that let every team with a halfway decent rushing threat score at will. Jackson could only win if they had the ball last. With the switch to the 3-4, and despite what a lot of people have said, the defense did tighten up this year so that it was at least serviceable.

I like a lot of what Balderson does offensively -- he goes for touchdowns instead of field goals, he pushes it on fourth and short. BUT, he doesn't know when to rein it in: consider the GlenOak game, down 21-20 late in the half and Jackson goes for it on 4th down at their OWN 31? Jackson failed to convert and it led directly to a GO touchdown. It happened again in the Boardman game, somewhere around their own 45 or so, though this was a more marginal situation.

People love to rag on Jackson, but the fact is from the mid 80s to the mid 2000s they regularly had some pretty good teams, Federal League championships, and playoff appearances. The talent is there again to be good. I credit Balderson for getting the numbers back up in the football program after the pay-to-play/McDaniels years, but I think his judgment is just too suspect. He could stay on as offensive coordinator, but six seasons as head coach is enough.
In 2009 Jackson ran a 3-4 and they went 0-10 under Beau. The following 2 years they ran a 3-3-5, then switched the 4-2-5. The last 2 years they've run a 4-3. I don't think there are many other defenses they can run...... After a while the head coach needs to be held accountable for the defense!
Old 11-14-14, 01:55 PM
All American

Quote:
In 2009 Jackson ran a 3-4 and they went 0-10 under Beau. The following 2 years they ran a 3-3-5, then switched the 4-2-5. The last 2 years they've run a 4-3. I don't think there are many other defenses they can run...... After a while the head coach needs to be held accountable for the defense!
Hmm, a FridayNightOhio article said they were running a "new" 3-4 this year. I didn't attend any games personally, though, so I take your word. I knew they ran the 4-2-5 previously but didn't realize there had been so many different formations! No wonder the defense is terrible every year if they have to start from scratch each season.

Why not just run the 5-3 like Hoover has for ages? It works for them, even in their down years (which are becoming a regular thing). Just force the other team to pass -- this is high school ball, not the NFL.
Old 11-14-14, 01:56 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader03 View Post
I always wondered why he got the job in the first place. It is not like he was that great in parma anyway. Team got better when he left.
I believe there were 5 other finalists. Who do you think would have been a better fit??

Jon Mazur - Current Offensive line coach
Kacy Carter - Defensive Assistant - D/C #1 under Balderson
Jeff Morris - Former Jackson grad, haven't heard much about him lately
Doug Haas - Former Triway coach
Matthew Furiono - Former Field coach

I don't think many people saw this as a desirable job after they forced Mauro out, and the McD fiasco.

Does anyone remember that the search committee wanted Jason Hall and Cheryl Haschek wanted McD????
Old 11-14-14, 02:00 PM
All American

chocolatecity is on a distinguished road
I was kind of surprise with the record of this year's team...The senior classs as freshmen won the FLC along with GlenOak and McKinley....only GlenOak held served and won the league this year...but I thought Jackson had the better group of freshmen ..losing to GO but beating McK...
Old 11-14-14, 02:09 PM
Freshman

jackomantern is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I believe there were 5 other finalists. Who do you think would have been a better fit??

Jon Mazur - Current Offensive line coach
Kacy Carter - Defensive Assistant - D/C #1 under Balderson
Jeff Morris - Former Jackson grad, haven't heard much about him lately
Doug Haas - Former Triway coach
Matthew Furiono - Former Field coach
Furino is currently the head coach and AD at Field (who was a league co-champ and qualified for the playoffs). I don't think he would be in the running for this job. He has too many years in at Field to jump ship.
Old 11-14-14, 02:11 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Hmm, a FridayNightOhio article said they were running a "new" 3-4 this year. I didn't attend any games personally, though, so I take your word. I knew they ran the 4-2-5 previously but didn't realize there had been so many different formations! No wonder the defense is terrible every year if they have to start from scratch each season.

Why not just run the 5-3 like Hoover has for ages? It works for them, even in their down years (which are becoming a regular thing). Just force the other team to pass -- this is high school ball, not the NFL.
Hoover very rarely gets into the 5-3. Offenses have evolved and they can no longer defend the spread in the 5-3. Donnie would love to get in the 5-3 offenses dictate he cannot.

I think the typical football fan doesn't understands how intricate high school offenses and defenses are....

They problem they struggled with in 09 in the 3-4 is that when a team would go 2 by 2 the defense would be left with 5 in the box against 5 lineman, a back and the QB. This was a number's thing that just doesn't work when you place Solon, Fitch or McKinley. I don't think there is a magic defense, but changing systems and coordinators every year doesn't help.
Old 11-14-14, 03:19 PM
All Region

Stack Attack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree with most of what you said, but...

Balderson didn't take over an 0-10 program. Jackson was hovering around .500 under McDaniels (they averaged about 7-3 under Mauro), they were 0-10 in Balderson's first year and 3-7 in his second. And now they're just back to hovering around .500 again. I do agree that there was a lack of talent when Balderson first started though.

I honestly don't mind him sticking around, as I think the kids like him -- but he's got to cut down on silly mistakes and keep things simple defensively (i.e. stop the run).
my mistake I thought 2010 was his first year. Didn't realize it was 2009.

Another thing I will say about Jackson just an observation is not to build an entire offense centered around 1 player. I personally believe spradling was the best RB in the county this year along with Crabtree at Massillon. But he was so beat up at the end of the year. That #38 (Storey?) was a pretty good runner, should have given it a little more to him at the beginning of the year.