Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-14-19, 04:31 PM
All District

duckdodgers is on a distinguished road
Youngstown State Penguins

I saw that Youngstown State got their first win defeating Pitt 4-2 last night. Great first win for the Penguins. It caused me to look at their schedule thus far and it has been brutal. Mississippi State, Florida State, Tennessee Tech, Miami of Ohio, Kent State and Pitt. Let's hope it preps them for conference play. Their schedule is brutal but since only one goes to the NCAA Tournement they gotta prep for league play. Some local kids on the roster too that are contributing. Any more information that folks have on the locals to NE Ohio would be welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-19, 11:24 AM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Current record 1-16. Just don't see how you could see much positive out of that. Sure the schedule is "brutal", but maybe that's part of the problem. Why as a mid major would you schedule any ACC, SEC, etc schools, especially if you were trying to rebuild a program w/such a young roster. Getting beat day in and day out won't do much for building your confidence, regardless of how you spin it. Even their loses to Mid Majors, ie: Kent, Miami of Ohio, have been one sided. I'm all for supporting local kids, and schools, but to say the first month of the season has many pluses, is stretching the facts quite a bit. Maybe when league play starts up, things will improve. The Horizon league has never been a powerhouse to begin with, w/Wright State looking once again as the dominate team.
Old 03-17-19, 07:17 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
Home Opener Friday the 22nd.
Old 03-18-19, 03:43 PM
All District

Hitnrun - where are you reading about pluses? Other than locals kids playing for them the only positive I saw by looking at results is the win against Pitt. I did look at website and saw some positive spin on outcomes the usual stuff. I was not aware that Wright State was the dominate team. I thought maybe UIC Flames was but I may be dating myself.
Old 03-18-19, 03:44 PM
All District

I will have to take a look at more intel on the Horizon league as not that familiar with it. I have been following Cincinnati a bit more last couple years.
Old 03-18-19, 06:39 PM
All District

Baseballmom13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdodgers View Post
Hitnrun - where are you reading about pluses? Other than locals kids playing for them the only positive I saw by looking at results is the win against Pitt. I did look at website and saw some positive spin on outcomes the usual stuff. I was not aware that Wright State was the dominate team. I thought maybe UIC Flames was but I may be dating myself.
Wright State usually dominates the Horizon League. WS competes well against the big boys and often gives a good battle at regionals. As for YSU, the guys play their azzse off. They are scrappy and play hard until the last out. They have clearly bought into the coaches plan.
Old 03-19-19, 03:33 AM
All District

micketty is on a distinguished road
YSU was just swept by 1-12 NKU over the weekend to begin league play.
Old 03-19-19, 11:03 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by micketty View Post
YSU was just swept by 1-12 NKU over the weekend to begin league play.
Ouch. Maybe I should continue to follow the Bearcats. I hope the Penguins pick it up in league play. Glad to see poster above say that the kids are playing hard to the end. Let's hope they can at least make some noise in the Horizon league.
Old 03-20-19, 09:09 AM
All American

Mansfield Buckeye is on a distinguished road
Wright State has beaten 3 top 20 teams so far. Split with Ole miss. 1-2 against #17 Oklahoma State. Beat #9 East Carolina 12-5. Already beaten Cincinnati twice scoring in double digits. They are young but pretty good. Milwaukee is very good also. Not sure what is up with ysu, they started the league last year hot and won a lot of games out of the gate only to stall. This year, idk, but I am sure theyll tighten it up a little. NKU showed some pitching against YSU. It will be interesting to see where they go from here against the rest of the league. When they get in that band box of a field at NKU , anything can happen.