Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-08-19, 05:57 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 8,110
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
GOP rep to introduce bill allowing NCAA athletes to profit from their likeness

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...their-likeness

Quote:
Rep. Mark Walker (R-N.C.) said Thursday he plans to introduce legislation that would allow NCAA student-athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness.
Quote:
Walker argued that NCAA member schools would not be required to pay athletes themselves, but merely lift restrictions on student-athletes' earning potential.
Thoughts? Personally I think this is the best outcome possible for this situation. Paying players is an impossible task, but there's no reason guys like Tua, Haskins, and Lawrence, who help bring in hundreds of millions for their schools, shouldn't be able to cash-in on it.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 03-08-19, 10:50 PM
StateChampion2012 StateChampion2012 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-14-17
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 2,193
StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
If it helps bring back the NCAA Football videogames, I'm all for it. Not sure that this bill will actually help the chances of that or hinder it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-09-19, 12:43 AM
Crusaders Crusaders is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 36,374
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
It would help. Whether EA is willing to pay is pretty much all that would stand in the way
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-09-19, 09:15 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Irish Buffalo's head
Posts: 6,363
Arrogate will become famous soon enough
This gets them around title 9 and paying women/nonrevenue sports


I doubt this fixes anything though. Now you can have boosters pay them essentially whatever they want
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-11-19, 07:54 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 33,981
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Why is this guy sticking his nose into NCAA regulations ?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-11-19, 07:55 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 33,981
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
This gets them around title 9 and paying women/nonrevenue sports


I doubt this fixes anything though. Now you can have boosters pay them essentially whatever they want
Or shoe companies
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-11-19, 10:56 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Irish Buffalo's head
Posts: 6,363
Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Why is this guy sticking his nose into NCAA regulations ?
Publicity
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-12-19, 10:11 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,481
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
This gets them around title 9 and paying women/nonrevenue sports


I doubt this fixes anything though. Now you can have boosters pay them essentially whatever they want
Bingo! We beat this dead horse over, and over and over....it's not that people don't want or feel the student athletes should get something for college sports that makes millions for their school, but it's the under - dirty side that would suddenly have free rein and boosters would have an open checkbook on paying recruits. It's the same issue we had 60-70 years ago.

Tua, Haskins, Lawrence will make their money in due time. How about we just keep college sports as it is now. You can't pay everybody, so just don't pay anybody. These kids get plenty, and the good ones are setting up their pro sports careers.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-12-19, 10:12 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,504
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Bingo! We beat this dead horse over, and over and over....it's not that people don't want or feel the student athletes should get something for college sports that makes millions for their school, but it's the under - dirty side that would suddenly have free rein and boosters would have an open checkbook on paying recruits. It's the same issue we had 60-70 years ago.

Tua, Haskins, Lawrence will make their money in due time. How about we just keep college sports as it is now. You can't pay everybody, so just don't pay anybody. These kids get plenty, and the good ones are setting up their pro sports careers.
What is your argument against letting players make money off their own likeness? That way the schools don't have to pay everybody.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-12-19, 10:37 AM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Irish Buffalo's head
Posts: 6,363
Arrogate will become famous soon enough
There really is no "good" way of going about IMO.

I know this wouldn't really be feasible but let's say they can make money on their likeness. I would think one way of maybe curtailing rampant payments would be for any money to be reported to a third party (not the ncaa). That money made bc of their likeness would go to into a defacto trust fund where it can't be touched until they leave school, run out of eligibility, or reach a certain age. Allow a monthly stipend to be given to the player from this fund but not allow them to have complete access to the money while in school. Also maybe have a max amount they can make over their college career to curtail huge payments

This isnt really a good idea IMO bc there is still a lot of loopholes and it wouldn't prevent boosters from paying absurd amounts but maybe it curtails it somewhat.

Yes I understand this is essentially "liberal" viewpoint in managing their money.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-12-19, 10:46 AM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Irish Buffalo's head
Posts: 6,363
Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Obviously there should be exceptions in withdrawing money. For example a family member needs money for medical bills

I think something like this idea would be a compromise all parties could agree to. By no means is it perfect but it is infinetly better than the system we have now.

Just look at Will Wade's comments about the offer he gave Smart. He implied he didnt sign right away bc he didnt give Smart's handler enough money bc most of it was going to smart's family and not his advisor.

This way players and their family get the money and not AAU coaches and money hounds who have little interest for the well being of the player
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-12-19, 12:18 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 36,374
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Athletes should be able to monetize themselves. Any argument against it is fighting the wrong battle.

As for the booster problem, a couple of things off the top of my head that may help. First, make it so a player must have signed with a program before they can be in contact with boosters or monetize their college football career with harsh penalties. This would hopefully reduce recruit tampering. Second, make it against the rules for boosters to give money directly to a specific player. If boosters want to dump money into the program, great. They can send it to the AD who can spend it on the football program as a whole. Third, there needs to be regulation on exorbitant compensation. Doing a local TV spot probably shouldn't see players rolling away in new Cadillacs.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-12-19, 12:19 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,504
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
There really is no "good" way of going about IMO.

I know this wouldn't really be feasible but let's say they can make money on their likeness. I would think one way of maybe curtailing rampant payments would be for any money to be reported to a third party (not the ncaa). That money made bc of their likeness would go to into a defacto trust fund where it can't be touched until they leave school, run out of eligibility, or reach a certain age. Allow a monthly stipend to be given to the player from this fund but not allow them to have complete access to the money while in school. Also maybe have a max amount they can make over their college career to curtail huge payments

This isnt really a good idea IMO bc there is still a lot of loopholes and it wouldn't prevent boosters from paying absurd amounts but maybe it curtails it somewhat.

Yes I understand this is essentially "liberal" viewpoint in managing their money.
I've had a similar thought on how to handle the money/curtail the rampant cheating/overpaying. Mine was, for example:

Trevor Lawrence goes to an autograph signing event. Under my hypothetical made up rules, he is allowed to take home $x,xxx. For arguments sake let's say $1,000. Anything over that is his, but similar to your idea, it goes to a 3rd party that is accessible once he is drafted, exhausts eligibility or reach a certain age. So he makes $1,500 at an event, he leaves with $1,000 and the third party takes the remaining $500 that is paid out to him in 2 years when he declares for the draft.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-12-19, 12:22 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Irish Buffalo's head
Posts: 6,363
Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Agreed taco
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz