Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-06-19, 07:35 AM
All World

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
The Good Ole' Days

I lifted the pic (below) from the '77 Princeton HS Yearbook. I remember vaulting onto that pit when they had the Summer Track Series at Princeton in the late 70s. Back then, we were all teaching ourselves to vault. There were NO vault coaches back then that had any experience themselves with fiberglass, and there was NO certification program. It was definitely a learn-by-doing trial-and-error experience. That is NOT me in the photo.

The pits were a lot smaller then, too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SNC03957.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	2835  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-19, 08:56 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
I wasn't alive yet, but I think my school's HJ and PV pits were still sawdust back then. I may have to do some looking for pics in old yearbooks. I do recall that my stadium's old configuration had the PV and HV behind the visiting stands. Long jump may have been back there as well but was next to either a ticket booth or concession stand. Shot put was off in some corner of the stadium, and discus was across the stadium parking lot. The track itself was 4 lanes of asphalt and was only 400 yds, maybe longer. All I remember was that the head timer kept moving farther up the frontstretch for each "lap" split of the 1600, so it was short of 400m per lap. From what others have told me from back then, my school was still using the triangular metal bar for HJ. Heaven help you if you had a failed attempt with one of those.

Upon reconfiguration, we had 8 lanes of rubber all the way around, 400m in distance, and 10 lanes on the front straight (don't recall ever using all 10 lanes). Shot put joined discus across the parking lot, 2 long jump pits are located on the backstretch inside of lane 1, HJ is inside one curve, and PV is inside the other curve.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 03-06-19 at 11:12 AM..
Old 03-06-19, 10:43 AM
All World

I vaulted over both steel & aluminum crossbars for the first 5 years of my vaulting "career" between '78-'82. More than once I landed on them. Also had them fall on my head a few times. Worse than landing on them was trying to straighten them out afterward! A fruitless endeavor if there ever was one.

Fiberglass crossbars really started making themselves known in Cincinnati around '82. By '85, metal bars were being given away. I know because Jim Wright gave me a 1/2 dozen of them, two of which I still have and am looking to get rid of to someone who wants them.

My father helped DIG his high school's first pole vault pit and filled it with a mixture of sand/sawdust back in 1960. Set his HS school record of 10' 8" in 1962 vaulting with a Swedish steel pole.
Old 03-08-19, 10:18 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
What do you think the standards were set at? A little easier to set standards today. Mine used to be in the negatives after I was done running the 4x800, 1600 and 800
Old 03-08-19, 10:26 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
What do you think the standards were set at? A little easier to set standards today. Mine used to be in the negatives after I was done running the 4x800, 1600 and 800
In that photo, standards appear to be about a foot deep. If memory serves me correctly, I remember a +/- 24" variance either side of the box. I know that I more than once had standards set in the -6" to -12" early on. They became deeper as vaulted higher over the years, of course.

For the youngsters out there, minus readings used to be normal and came from the pre-fiberglass days when vaulting poles did NOT reach vertical for the most part. In fact, it used to be illegal for poles to pass under the crossbar...Bob Gutowski lost a world record to that stupid rule in 1957.
Old 03-08-19, 11:44 AM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
If memory serves me correctly, I remember a +/- 24" variance either side of the box.
I thought it was -12 to +12 inches. But, that was well before my time. The worst I remember was 12 to 30 inches.