Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-26-19, 02:31 PM
All World

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
From the Archives - Billy Olson - 1983 World Record Attempt

I thought I'd share this with all of you. I attended the 1983 Mason-Dixon games at Freedom Hall in February of 1983. My first BIG track meet watching world-class athletes. I had the opportunity to watch Billy Olson attempt a new world record (indoor) of 18' 11" that evening. He didn't make it, but made some great attempts on two of them. Below is a shot of his 3rd attempt. 6 days after this photo, he became the first man over 19' indoors, and only the 3rd person overall. France's Thierry Vigneron was first over at 19' 1/4", followed by Konstantin Volkov (Soviet Union) at 19' 2", both in 1981.

I've been scanning a lot of stuff from the past, so I thought you might like this shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mason-Dixon Games - Louisville, KY (2_5_83) - Billy Olso (3).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	2818  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-19, 02:59 PM
All Ohio

Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
Did you take the photo? It is very good quality. Olson is the first guy I remember with exceptional speed. All of the top guys are very fast on the runway but I remember hearing Olson having sub 10.5 type speed.
Old 02-26-19, 04:54 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton's Third View Post
Did you take the photo? It is very good quality. Olson is the first guy I remember with exceptional speed. All of the top guys are very fast on the runway but I remember hearing Olson having sub 10.5 type speed.
I think I did take the photos as I didn't trust my father's ability to capture photos in real-time. I still don't

It was my father's camera, however. Decent camera as I recall.

Also vaulting at that meet were: Earl Bell, Steve Stubblefield, Jeff Buckingham, and a few others. I was able to go down on the infield afterward and get Olson, Bell, and a few other's autographs, including my signed copy of the 1983 January Issue (Annual) with Billy Olson's ranking of #1 in the world for 1982.

Unfortunately, this issue, along with a few others I own, were somewhat water-damaged by a leak in a basement apartment I used to live in.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf T&F News - 1983 - signed by Earl Bell & Billy Olson.pdf (586.8 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by JAVMAN83; 02-26-19 at 05:19 PM..
Old 02-26-19, 05:26 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton's Third View Post
Olson was very quick. 10.5 hand time, but he also ran on some of ACU's (Abilene Christian U.) 4x100m teams. Unfortunately, Olson was more slight-of-build and didn't fair very well outdoors in windy conditions. He wasn't the greatest technician (terrible collapse of bottom arm and hitting under), but he had exceptional timing and was one of the few to be able to allow the stored energy of the pole throw him higher than most. I got to meet his coach, Don Hood. Very nice gentlemen, and even offered me, a lowly 12-13 foot vaulter as a senior that year, a chance to go down to Abilene. I regret not taking him up on that offer.