Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-18-17, 02:48 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
What changes would you make to the NFL, NBA, and/or MLB?

Just had a discussion with someone about the length of the NBA season. Kind of funny that the "Winter" sport finishes their season in the middle of June.

So what changes would you make to the NFL, NBA, and/or MLB?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-17, 02:49 PM
Go Buckeyes

For all three, I would end the season earlier. NFL finished the 3rd week of January, NBA finished the middle of May, and MLB finished the middle of October.
Old 06-18-17, 03:04 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
NBA regular season should end after New Year's Day. Expand the playoffs to include every team.

MLB should drop the DH.
Old 06-18-17, 03:06 PM
All American

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
NFL
- balanced schedule. you play everyone in your conference once, with two games against your designated rival. right now, so much is determined by the strength of your division. if two teams in your division are tanking, it's a massive advantage over a more competitive division
- eliminate 2 of the 4 preseason games

NBA
- change the 1st two rounds of the playoffs to a best of 5
- put in lottery parameters like no team is allowed to pick in the top 3 more than 2 out of every 4 years. or isn't allowed to win the lottery more than once every 4 years

MLB
- eliminate the sport
Old 06-18-17, 03:28 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Get rid the DH in baseball, move Tampa Bay to Montreal. End the regular season on September 1st by reducing the schedule to 142 games with a few scheduled doubleheaders. Pipe dream wish that will never happen: introduce a hard salary cap

Eliminate the NBA, remove Roger Goodell as commissioner of the NFL
Old 06-18-17, 03:43 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
NBA regular season should end after New Year's Day. Expand the playoffs to include every team.

MLB should drop the DH.
I like the first one. The season drags on way too long. Go to 5 game series with every team making it in the first round. Byes for the top 2 teams - one from each conference.

In the past, I preferred the DH but I find myself starting to move to the other side. The specialization in baseball has made it less exciting. Having a pitcher hitting would add to the excitement and strategy.
Old 06-18-17, 04:36 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
NBA needs a hard salary cap to stop this super team stuff. Or kill the sport. It's a garbage league

Bring the dh to the nl in baseball.

Put the NFL draft back to Saturday and Sunday

Hockey needs to go bAck to seeding teams 1-8 in the playoffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-17, 04:40 PM
Moderated User

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
The DH is an abomination, must go. I would also shorten the MLB season to end in Sept. Let's be honest, most people are focused on football when Fall rolls around.

Also, there's no reason why the NBA should start in friggin October. Wait until, after the New Year.
Old 06-18-17, 04:41 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Put Pete Rose in the HOF.
Old 06-18-17, 04:49 PM
Moderated User

Football in general, I'd add a 3 pt play, just move the ball back to the 15 yd line.
Old 06-18-17, 04:52 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Get rid the DH in baseball, move Tampa Bay to Montreal. End the regular season on September 1st by reducing the schedule to 142 games with a few scheduled doubleheaders. Pipe dream wish that will never happen: introduce a hard salary cap

Eliminate the NBA, remove Roger Goodell as commissioner of the NFL
I'd assume TB will get moved in the next 10 years, but it would likely be to Vegas.
Old 06-18-17, 04:52 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
NBA: Fouling team doesn't get the ball after successful foul shots. Clean up the end of the games that turn into free-throw shooting contests. Introduce a hard team cap, but remove the individual player caps. Let LeBron make $100m in a year. Would he really take a pay cut to get Love or Irving on his team? Spreads the wealth around where no team would legitimately have more than one star.

NHL: Shorten the season to about 60 games. Sudden death overtime for all regular season games. No matter how many periods it takes. 3 pts for a regulation win, 2 for an OT win, 1 for an OT loss. 0 for a loss.

MLB: 154 game season. Scheduled doubleheaders. More off days for players/pitchers especially. Go back to 2 divisions in each league. Top four in each make playoffs (best of 3 first round). Division Series 5 games, LCS and WS 7 games. (And at least ONE day WS game on Saturday or Sunday in the first five games of the WS)

NFL: Eliminate Thursday games. Let players celebrate plays. Let teams operate independently when it comes to marketing locally, etc. Too much league hegemony, let the teams control things more.

And for all leagues, get rid of this faux idea that StubHub or TicketExchange isn't a scam for teams to bilk fans of more money. Several teams seem to be selling tickets to an unseen 'broker' who then basically acts as a market-priced seller for the team. This has led to a glut of empty seats across all leagues as selling just a handful of seats for one game at an exaggerated price more than covers the unsold seats.
Old 06-18-17, 07:31 PM
Junior Varsity

VolleyBFan is on a distinguished road
NBA - increase the luxury tax 10x so those that want to pay let them. And if players really want to play together let them cut their salaries. The top players don't need their NBA salaries anyway with endorsements

Old 06-18-17, 10:22 PM
All Region

scbuckeye99 is on a distinguished road
Hard salary cap for all of them.
Old 06-18-17, 10:26 PM
Go Buckeyes

NBA - I kind of like the idea of a hard salary cap and no individual cap. If the cap is $100 million, the top player could theoretically get $100 million minus the league minimum for the other players necessary to field a team.
Old 06-18-17, 10:43 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
I'd assume TB will get moved in the next 10 years, but it would likely be to Vegas.
That would screw up the East/West alignment. I don't think MLB will ever go to Vegas, if they did decide to go West it'd probably be Mexico City.
Old 06-19-17, 04:39 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
NBA needs a hard salary cap to stop this super team stuff. Or kill the sport. It's a garbage league

Bring the dh to the nl in baseball.

Put the NFL draft back to Saturday and Sunday

Hockey needs to go bAck to seeding teams 1-8 in the playoffs

Agreed on the NHL playoffs.

MLB..go to a balanced schedule.

Two leagues:
NL
AL.

Everyone plays the same opponents amount of times in each league.

Interleague play matches up those who finished the same spots as you did the year before. Top 5 from 2016 play eachother in 2017. 6-10 go against each other and so forth.

Then you have your rivalry series. Some years it may end up being a same team as stated above and in those cases you have 2 series with that team.

Then you use the standings for the postseason.

I would like to see it go back to 154 games. Not a huge difference but it still keeps records in tack from how many games they used to play. Baseball is such a numbers chasing game I want to keep that in tact.
Old 06-19-17, 06:43 AM
All American

4cards is on a distinguished road
...NBA (give each team 90 points and play for 5 minutes)...outcomes would be almost the same as playing an entire game
Old 06-19-17, 07:43 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
NFL: Cut back on the amount of TV time outs and make the in stadium experience more exiting.

MLB: Go back to 154 games with the playoffs starting the last week of September.

NBA: Call the rules as written in the rule book. At the top of the list will be traveling with palming and 3 seconds right behind.

NHL: Get larger Olympic sized ice surfaces so the game can flow freer and place an emphasis on skating skills.
Old 06-19-17, 08:51 AM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
Good stuff, really enjoy reading everyone's different ideas....

One thing to remember - these are "professional" sports. This means they must make money. This includes the stadiums/ arenas, parking / concessions, etc. There will never, ever be less games, playoff or regular season. The only situation I'd ever see this changing is if all the TV money went away at some point. And that's possible. I don't know how all of these games on TV can be watched enough to make sense.

Here are a few of my ideas...

NFL - Eliminate kickoffs, and the punt can only be fair caught, no advancing. Otherwise the ball is placed where it stops rolling. I'd also like to see the clock restarted on incomplete passes when the ball is reset.

NBA - I'd like to see zone defenses allowed in the NBA. Really not sure why they are not legal. Most teams could not play zone anyway, because the shooters are too good, but why not allow weakside help into the lane?

MLB - Get rid of the DH, or adopt it in both leagues, one or the other. Enforce the pitch clock, limit visits to the mound to one per inning, not two per pitcher. Stop ritual of manager walking to the mound to make the change. Just call time from the dugout, make the switch.

NHL - Only one I'd suggest is widening the goals. I think hockey could get more fans if the games were 12-10 instead of 3-2.
Old 06-19-17, 08:51 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
NFL - Move draft to three or four weeks following the Super Bowl. The "silly season" accomplishes nothing and may actually cause many teams to draft worse by overthinking.
Old 06-19-17, 08:54 AM
All World

oldline70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
For all three, I would end the season earlier. NFL finished the 3rd week of January, NBA finished the middle of May, and MLB finished the middle of October.
Without a doubt, for the NFL go back to 14 games.

The season is way too long. Super Bowl should be 3rd week of Jan, around the 22nd-25th like it used to be. Make the SB a day game like it was a generation ago.

PS - these things will NEVER happen with the way the NFL is anymore. Hell they want to go to 18 games. We'll be playing the Superbowl In March.

Baseball -regular season should be over by Labor Day; World Series should be completed by early October.
Old 06-19-17, 09:13 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Forgot another NFL change: Like the NCAA game eliminate the 2 minute warning and stop the clock on a 1st down to reset the chains.
Old 06-19-17, 11:20 AM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Promotion/relegation.

There is no reason a city like Akron or Dayton couldn't support a major sports franchise, you just have to scale down stadium size and contract amounts accordingly. Obviously, owners of larger/current franchises would be opposed to this as it cuts into their own fanbase. That's the issue, not the profitability of smaller franchises.
Old 06-19-17, 11:27 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Forgot another NFL change: Like the NCAA game eliminate the 2 minute warning and stop the clock on a 1st down to reset the chains.
This might be the only change I've read that I agree with.
Old 06-19-17, 11:32 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
Promotion/relegation.

There is no reason a city like Akron or Dayton couldn't support a major sports franchise, you just have to scale down stadium size and contract amounts accordingly. Obviously, owners of larger/current franchises would be opposed to this as it cuts into their own fanbase. That's the issue, not the profitability of smaller franchises.
If promotion/relegation existed, I would think they'd start by relegating current teams, not adding new ones to small cities. There's not enough players to expand.
Old 06-19-17, 11:33 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
Promotion/relegation.

lol
Old 06-19-17, 12:17 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
NHL - make the puck bigger, so I can see the doggone thing and follow the action.

MLB - eliminate the provision where the hitter can run to first base on a dropped third strike - once the batter has swung and missed and/or the ball crosses the plane in the zone, that's it. Send him back to the dugout.

And while we're at it, four foul balls and you're out.

Last edited by Zunardo; 06-19-17 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-19-17, 04:49 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
NHL.... Get rid of the shootouts, its OK to have a tie in Hockey but if we have to have the shootouts then go to the 3 point for regualtion win, 2 point for OT win, 1 point for OT loss and 0 pts for regulation loss.

Get rid of the 3rd man in penalties and go back to teams enforcing themselves. You will see less cheap shots if player "A" realizes he will get roughed up by an enforcer if he takees a cheap shot on a star player....

Go back to the 1 thru 8 seeding.... It does not bug me if they do not want to re-seed or not after the first round...

Go back to the way hockey used to be played before the TV timeouts started....

MLB... Bring back Sunday double headers.... and not the day/night crap. I used to love going as a kid to the Sunday games and seeing 2 games for the price of 1.... this would also end the season earlier without losing any games....

Go back to when Baseball was actually played by men and not this crap we see today when they are worried about pitch counts and 5 man rotations.... Also, when it comes to replay a manager must make the decision right away and not wait 30 seconds...

NFL.... OMG, the numerous TV timeouts drive me crazy.... put the PAT back where it belongs. Retrain everyone to tackle like they do in Rugby and take the "I" out of the sport with all that crap after each play... Go back to 3 divisions in each conference instead of 4.

NBA... just get rid of it....
Old 06-19-17, 04:55 PM
All American

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
NHL.... Get rid of the shootouts, its OK to have a tie in Hockey but if we have to have the shootouts then go to the 3 point for regualtion win, 2 point for OT win, 1 point for OT loss and 0 pts for regulation loss.

Get rid of the 3rd man in penalties and go back to teams enforcing themselves. You will see less cheap shots if player "A" realizes he will get roughed up by an enforcer if he takees a cheap shot on a star player....

Go back to the 1 thru 8 seeding.... It does not bug me if they do not want to re-seed or not after the first round...

Go back to the way hockey used to be played before the TV timeouts started....

MLB... Bring back Sunday double headers.... and not the day/night crap. I used to love going as a kid to the Sunday games and seeing 2 games for the price of 1.... this would also end the season earlier without losing any games....

Go back to when Baseball was actually played by men and not this crap we see today when they are worried about pitch counts and 5 man rotations.... Also, when it comes to replay a manager must make the decision right away and not wait 30 seconds...

NFL.... OMG, the numerous TV timeouts drive me crazy.... put the PAT back where it belongs. Retrain everyone to tackle like they do in Rugby and take the "I" out of the sport with all that crap after each play... Go back to 3 divisions in each conference instead of 4.

NBA... just get rid of it....
This is an all time "back in my day" post.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: