Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-06-17, 05:18 AM
All Region

fortfan is on a distinguished road
Our "banquet" is a joke too and kids miss it all the time for various reasons. Don't know why they even call it a banquet when there is no meal.
Old 06-06-17, 06:59 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
I think that if the coach actually played, he will totally understand missing the banquet for a game. Now if the coach is the assistant A/V coordinator and he's just coaching for a little extra money, he could be upset.
Old 06-06-17, 08:24 AM
All District

Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
I think that if the coach actually played, he will totally understand missing the banquet for a game. Now if the coach is the assistant A/V coordinator and he's just coaching for a little extra money, he could be upset.
Bingo a winner. My grandson's coach didn't mind one bit. He actually spent several minutes asking how his game went. Asked about his hitting and pitching and asked for a schedule to come watch. I've read some of the posts and it amazes me that people crucified a 15 year old for missing a banquet for a game. People are entitled to there opinion one way or another but saying a kid is selfish and a few other suplertives without knowing him got to me. He's a 4.0 + student and has an incredible work ethic. He started on Varsity as a freshman and will be the starting QB next fall. So before you bash a kid maybe think before you type. On a side note congratulations to all the baseball state championship. N.E. Ohio did very well.
Old 06-06-17, 08:35 AM
Junior Varsity

Baseball4Life! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by simkon View Post
It is technically legal to offer as much academic scholarships as they want but by rights the students don't deserve as much of a scholarship purely on academic merit but they get it because of their athletic ability. No one can prove that the student would or wouldn't have got that scholarship otherwise.
D3 coaches only get so much "academic money" to use. They can't offer every kid on the team a free ride. It is actually easier for them to get additional academic money if the kid has a legitimate ACT/SAT score.
Old 06-06-17, 08:48 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wildcat View Post
Bingo a winner. My grandson's coach didn't mind one bit. He actually spent several minutes asking how his game went. Asked about his hitting and pitching and asked for a schedule to come watch. I've read some of the posts and it amazes me that people crucified a 15 year old for missing a banquet for a game. People are entitled to there opinion one way or another but saying a kid is selfish and a few other suplertives without knowing him got to me. He's a 4.0 + student and has an incredible work ethic. He started on Varsity as a freshman and will be the starting QB next fall. So before you bash a kid maybe think before you type. On a side note congratulations to all the baseball state championship. N.E. Ohio did very well.
Players play

The time comes sooner than we think when all we can do is sit around a table and gab and pat each other on the back. Plenty of time for banquets then.

The selfish kid is the one that stays home and watches TV or plays Xbox instead of the banquet because he didn't win something.
Old 06-06-17, 10:18 AM
All Region

Bugsy8875 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not true.
Old 06-06-17, 10:24 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball4Life! View Post
D3 coaches only get so much "academic money" to use. They can't offer every kid on the team a free ride. It is actually easier for them to get additional academic money if the kid has a legitimate ACT/SAT score.
There is no kid playing D3 getting a free ride for athletics. They get nothing for athletics. As you have stated, grades and financial need are the only criteria the D3 schools can use.

A kid that is at the top of their class and comes from a home that is pretty poor financially, those kids can get to a lot of colleges almost free. Those cases are very rare. Another fact, being a minority is also a huge help in getting money.
Old 06-06-17, 10:27 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
Wow, really surprised there has been so much discussion to this. My son would have gone to the game....no question. Heck, he missed the banquet his senior year when he was named League POY.

But......our "banquet" consists of the team going to a shelter house in the park. No more than half the kids have shown up any of the 4 years he played. They have chicken wings and a drink for the kids....parents just stand and watch. The entire thing may last 20 minutes depending on whether or not the coach decided to say more than a couple sentences.....lol. That being said, he still would have gone to a game, even if he had a real banquet. Summer ball here in Ohio once you're in HS lasts 5-6 weekends at best, and at our school, college recruiters are non-existent....you are seen in the summer. He couldn't afford to miss out on any summer games.
Where is he playing at?
Old 06-06-17, 10:48 AM
All American

bigkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wildcat View Post
so you are the one that put the Thread out there.....and yet you BASH the opinion of others, and the way you said it, there was some bad feelings in your community about him skipping the banquet. I as a parent would want my son to go to the banquet because it celebrates the season he just had with his teammates and I just think it is the right thing to do. I put into his head it is always more important that the TEAM comes first, not the individual........I'm just OLD school that way.

by the way good luck to your grandson.....
Old 06-06-17, 11:01 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
so you are the one that put the Thread out there.....and yet you BASH the opinion of others, and the way you said it, there was some bad feelings in your community about him skipping the banquet. I as a parent would want my son to go to the banquet because it celebrates the season he just had with his teammates and I just think it is the right thing to do. I put into his head it is always more important that the TEAM comes first, not the individual........I'm just OLD school that way.

by the way good luck to your grandson.....
Old 06-06-17, 11:43 AM
All American

Quote:
Players play

The time comes sooner than we think when all we can do is sit around a table and gab and pat each other on the back. Plenty of time for banquets then.

The selfish kid is the one that stays home and watches TV or plays Xbox instead of the banquet because he didn't win something.
so what is the kid going to do, crash a baseball banquet when he is 20 years and not playing HS ball anymore

at least in this part of Ohio, banquets are right after the end of the regular season.....or a ride thru the playoffs,,,
Old 06-06-17, 11:59 AM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy8875 View Post
Where is he playing at?
He is pitching in the MAC
Old 06-06-17, 12:56 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
he is pitching in the mac
bg?
Old 06-06-17, 01:58 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Not true.
Not true ?

You're claiming that a coach that actually played baseball is going to be upset if a player chooses playing over a banquet ? Am I understanding you correctly ?

I can understand if you're saying that some coaches personally would not make that choice. Agreed.

If you're claiming that a baseball man that's been around the game at a competitive level wouldn't understand the "players play" ethos and accept that many guys are wired that way, I'd have to wonder if the man might have an ego problem. Seriously.
Old 06-06-17, 02:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
so what is the kid going to do, crash a baseball banquet when he is 20 years and not playing HS ball anymore

at least in this part of Ohio, banquets are right after the end of the regular season.....or a ride thru the playoffs,,,
Better have that banquet on a Tuesday or a Wednesday.
Old 06-06-17, 05:09 PM
All Region

Quote:
Not true ?

You're claiming that a coach that actually played baseball is going to be upset if a player chooses playing over a banquet ? Am I understanding you correctly ?

I can understand if you're saying that some coaches personally would not make that choice. Agreed.

If you're claiming that a baseball man that's been around the game at a competitive level wouldn't understand the "players play" ethos and accept that many guys are wired that way, I'd have to wonder if the man might have an ego problem. Seriously.
It isn't true. I am a witness to it on several levels as a parent and coach.

As a parent, both of my kids were competitive in their respective sports (Male and female and went on to compete in college). They never missed a banquet due to an outside activity. It was taught in my house to put to be respectful of your teammates and coaches you competed with.

During my time coaching higher level Summer Ball, I also told my kid and the other kids you go to a banquet if you have one. Very rarely did the seasons ever overlap so it wasn't an issue. I also had some multi-sport athletes that would miss a practice or a game due to a passing scrimmage or a Summer Shootout. One of the reasons we had a roster of 17 kids is we planned for kids doing other things.

Part of my staff were two former D2 players (Ashland and Tiffin) and another that made it to AA (Cubs) in the Minors and we were all on the same page (I played ball as well). Myself and these guys fall into your category as "Players" as you like to put it. We didn't have huge egos and would understand a kid missing a Summer game to attend the banquet.
Old 06-06-17, 05:22 PM
All American

Quote:

As a parent, both of my kids were competitive in their respective sports (Male and female and went on to compete in college). They never missed a banquet due to an outside activity. It was taught in my house to put to be respectful of your teammates and coaches you competed with.

During my time coaching higher level Summer Ball, I also told my kid and the other kids you go to a banquet if you have one. Very rarely did the seasons ever overlap so it wasn't an issue. I also had some multi-sport athletes that would miss a practice or a game due to a passing scrimmage or a Summer Shootout. One of the reasons we had a roster of 17 kids is we planned for kids doing other things.

Part of my staff were two former D2 players (Ashland and Tiffin) and another that made it to AA (Cubs) in the Minors and we were all on the same page (I played ball as well). Myself and these guys fall into your category as "Players" as you like to put it. We didn't have huge egos and would understand a kid missing a Summer game to attend the banquet.
Old 06-06-17, 08:12 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

That's all fine, and I wouldn't take issue with any of that. But I have to wonder - Have you actually been paying attention and reading entire posts itt, or do you just read the first sentence and guess at what you think the rest might have to say ?

The whole point is that there isn't one "right" answer here, and that coming down on a kid or thinking less of one that puts actually playing ahead of a ceremony because someone might think he cares more about one team than another team is kind of small and petty in my book. Does anyone actually think attendance at a ceremony is going to make or break someone as a teammate, or is it more about the guy that never has to be asked to grab your hat and glove if you made the third out or got stranded at third ?

We had our Spring Sports awards tonight. My senior son had to rush home from practice, shower, dress and wolf down dinner - missing most of the mingling and dessert before we headed to the auditorium. We then had a smaller gathering with just baseball off in another room. Not to be a tool about it, but he had a tough time carrying all the stuff by the time we left. A few of his school teammates were missing, because their summer teams play in league games. We missed seeing them, but I'm not upset that they weren't there to clap for my kid or congratulate him. Players play.

I'm gonna get on GameChanger soon and see how a few of them did tonight, but I know my kid can tell me later how they hit tonight if I don't, because they have a couple message threads going. All good teammates.
Old 06-06-17, 08:35 PM
All Region

Quote:
That's all fine, and I wouldn't take issue with any of that. But I have to wonder - Have you actually been paying attention and reading entire posts itt, or do you just read the first sentence and guess at what you think the rest might have to say ?

The whole point is that there isn't one "right" answer here, and that coming down on a kid or thinking less of one that puts actually playing ahead of a ceremony because someone might think he cares more about one team than another team is kind of small and petty in my book. Does anyone actually think attendance at a ceremony is going to make or break someone as a teammate, or is it more about the guy that never has to be asked to grab your hat and glove if you made the third out or got stranded at third ?

We had our Spring Sports awards tonight. My senior son had to rush home from practice, shower, dress and wolf down dinner - missing most of the mingling and dessert before we headed to the auditorium. We then had a smaller gathering with just baseball off in another room. Not to be a tool about it, but he had a tough time carrying all the stuff by the time we left. A few of his school teammates were missing, because their summer teams play in league games. We missed seeing them, but I'm not upset that they weren't there to clap for my kid or congratulate him. Players play.

I'm gonna get on GameChanger soon and see how a few of them did tonight, but I know my kid can tell me later how they hit tonight if I don't, because they have a couple message threads going. All good teammates.
I read them and the guy asked for opinions. Sorry ours don't match. I am glad your child went to his banquet. It was the right thing to do. Parents parent.
Old 06-06-17, 08:58 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
he had a tough time carrying all the stuff by the time we left.
Apropos of nothing...

Quote:
Not to be a tool about it
Too late
Old 06-06-17, 09:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
......Part of my staff were two former D2 players (Ashland and Tiffin) and another that made it to AA (Cubs) in the Minors and we were all on the same page (I played ball as well). Myself and these guys fall into your category as "Players" as you like to put it. We didn't have huge egos and would understand a kid missing a Summer game to attend the banquet.
Backtracking here, because I got a half-answer from you, albeit a clever one.

Are you saying that if you were coaching a high school team, you would find fault with a kid that would forego the banquet to play in a game with his summer team ? Or just with the parents that would permit it ?
Old 06-06-17, 09:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Apropos of nothing...

Too late
Nice sniper job, especially out of context.

I can tell you one thing, though. If he had a game scheduled with his summer team, that stuff would have been tossed in a box by a friend and collected later had he wanted to play. Gotta get all the work you can at game speed if you hope to start as a freshman. His HS coach would likely approve. I can have his little brother ask if you're curious.
Old 06-06-17, 09:54 PM
All Region

Quote:
Backtracking here, because I got a half-answer from you, albeit a clever one.

Are you saying that if you were coaching a high school team, you would find fault with a kid that would forego the banquet to play in a game with his summer team ? Or just with the parents that would permit it ?
I would be disappointed if a family and a kid didn't come to his HS banquet. I wouldn't openly hold a grudge, just be quietly disappointed. I see a banquet as closure to a season where coaches, players and families celebrate whatever accomplishments were attained as a team or by individuals. I think it's good that teammates are there. In my mind, it shows respect to all those involved.

Being around Summer Ball (At a high level), missing one game isn't hurting a kid. The most important games during the Summer are during weekends during tournaments where scouts can see many teams and not just two on a weekday evening.

I don't want to derail this thread, but there is so little money out there for college baseball players, the kids that get anything significant have to be very elite so there are many parents that spend a lot of money during the Summer and have false hopes.

I tell kids and parents all the time, the real money for college is academics. More money is given out for academics than athletics. As a parent and coach, I have experienced this.
Old 06-06-17, 10:07 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
I didn't see anyone disrespecting the kid- a question was asked and people answered. If you didn't want opinions, don't ask a question- especially on yappi!
For us, honoring the coaches and seniors is a matter of respect and there would be no question.
Old 06-06-17, 11:06 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
I didn't see anyone disrespecting the kid- a question was asked and people answered. If you didn't want opinions, don't ask a question- especially on yappi!
For us, honoring the coaches and seniors is a matter of respect and there would be no question.
Some "respectful" commentary -

Quote:
Totally agree!! Ican't believe this is even a discussion- it really is about respect. Too many parents don't have it and therefore aren't teaching respect. My kids wouldn't even think to have a choice- they would simply ask what time and where- then show up.
with a side of Superiority - (found your picture on the interwebz)

And some old school ultimatums (sounds like good times!)

Quote:
At our high school the coach spells it out very clearly in a preseason parent meeting- if you play for the team you will be at the banquet (date is set way ahead of time). The banquet is to honor the senior class and it is expected that everyone with the program will be there or they won't be a part of the program. No excuses- no club team games take priority over the banquet. Only exception I have heard of was a sisters wedding, but that was communicated.
Aren't you guys special.....no disrespect intended
Old 06-07-17, 01:06 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Banquets are nothing but a ruse nowadays to give kids awards to make them all feel better.

Saw a kid with like a 2-2 record get a "pitching award" plaque that his dad proudly portrayed that was given to him for being the pitcher of the season on the staff...

Coaches find some way to give the seniors some sort of award for whatever reason.

The only awards that matter are how the team did and possible league/state awards.

When I was coaching we always tried to have a end of the year cookout at a pond. Burgers, brats, and the wives of the coaches made a lot of food. Fishing, swimming, whatever at the pond/pool. Was always a pretty good time. Of course not all the kids would or could show up and it was no big deal. It wasn't like we felt slighted if the kids couldn't go.

Ya all get too butthurt over stuff.
Old 06-10-17, 08:57 AM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Our high school honors all spring sports with a so called banquet (and I use that term loosely, as there usually is just a table full of various baked goods) on the same day. Then various sports break off into separate areas for their specific program. I would imagine both baseball and softball would potentially have the most conflicts due to tournaments. It's not unusual for many of these tournaments to actually begin on a Thursday evening, possibly creating scheduling conflicts. I know of other high schools who actually have a real banquet and award presentation per individual sport, which one might think would be easier to schedule in advance for say baseball, as various tournament schedules are typically set up quite far in advance. In our case, with only with 2 senior baseball players on the roster, both had conflicts. One with a college orientation, one with a game. Numerous underclassmen also elected to skip the awards, due to their own baseball game conflicts. What complicated matters even more, was that the Spring sports ceremony was scheduled after graduation. Bottom line, if you choose to attend, fine, and if you don't plan on attending, that also is fine. It's ultimately an individual choice.
Old 06-10-17, 06:15 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
Our high school honors all spring sports with a so called banquet (and I use that term loosely, as there usually is just a table full of various baked goods) on the same day. Then various sports break off into separate areas for their specific program. I would imagine both baseball and softball would potentially have the most conflicts due to tournaments. It's not unusual for many of these tournaments to actually begin on a Thursday evening, possibly creating scheduling conflicts. I know of other high schools who actually have a real banquet and award presentation per individual sport, which one might think would be easier to schedule in advance for say baseball, as various tournament schedules are typically set up quite far in advance. In our case, with only with 2 senior baseball players on the roster, both had conflicts. One with a college orientation, one with a game. Numerous underclassmen also elected to skip the awards, due to their own baseball game conflicts. What complicated matters even more, was that the Spring sports ceremony was scheduled after graduation. Bottom line, if you choose to attend, fine, and if you don't plan on attending, that also is fine. It's ultimately an individual choice.
Sounds more like Administrative issues when a school is having a Spring Banquet after graduation, let alone Memorial Day. If some athletes are not quite done yet, that's ok. Recognize them where they are at at the time. If a team.athlete has a special tournament run, then they can have something special just for them when the season is over that is very low key.
Old 06-11-17, 05:10 AM
All District

Gameday10 is on a distinguished road
Go to the Banquet. You play somewhere around 40 summer games missing one isn't going to hurt the team. Besides if your playing a weeknight game they don't mean as much as tournament games.
Old 06-11-17, 10:44 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Some "respectful" commentary -

with a side of Superiority - (found your picture on the interwebz)

And some old school ultimatums (sounds like good times!)

Aren't you guys special.....no disrespect intended
Zero disrespect intended or given. You can read into what you want, doesn't change what was written . From my point of view based on our experience this is how it happens in our world. Our schools have nice celebrations for the team and especially to celebrate the seniors and you are expected to attend if you want to be part of the team. If that's not the case for you then do what you choose, we choose to respect that commitment- somehow you find that disrespectful? I didn't make fun of or mock anyone- that's all you