Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-03-17, 03:49 PM
All Ohio

simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy8875 View Post
Also, don't let any parent try to tell you they got money to play D3.
NAIA and Division II can award athletic scholarships though.
For Division III it is true you can't get an athletic scholarship, but they can still give you an academic scholarship and other grants. In my cases several Division III schools approached me (not for baseball) and basically guaranteed me full tuition academic scholarships. I had pretty good grades and ACT/SAT scores but probably not quite good enough for a full ride. Generally they will give certain athletes for certain sports better academic scholarships than they would normally get and also utilize other means to ensure they get grants and go out of their way to make sure they get other scholarships.

Did you ever wonder how Mount Union always seemed to have a really good football team in D-III without any athletic scholarships?
Old 06-03-17, 09:49 PM
Varsity

FootballCrazy1 is on a distinguished road
Go to the Banquet unless you have no respect for your high school coach or teammates, there is no summer game this early in the season that is that important. Finish what u started, support your team mates whether YOU receive an award or not.
Old 06-03-17, 10:03 PM
All District

Springsteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballCrazy1 View Post
Go to the Banquet unless you have no respect for your high school coach or teammates, there is no summer game this early in the season that is that important. Finish what u started, support your team mates whether YOU receive an award or not.
^^^We have a winner.
Old 06-03-17, 10:31 PM
All District

reggiejackson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springsteen View Post
^^^We have a winner.
I agree
Old 06-03-17, 10:45 PM
All Region

Bugsy8875 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by simkon View Post

Did you ever wonder how Mount Union always seemed to have a really good football team in D-III without any athletic scholarships?
Winning is their best recruiting tool right now. The Kehres Family has done it the right way. Also, there are very successful HS football programs and even college programs that are being led by former Mount Union players. There is something to the way they do things too. It is getting passed along and the coaching tree is huge.

Also, one thing they do is they recruit a lot of kids that they know they will not get right away that end up going away to D2 or higher. When things don't work out there, Mount Union has a relationship with the kid. So they get their share of kids that transfer down.

NCAA Compliance would hammer a school like Mount Union if things are not being done the right way.
Old 06-03-17, 10:51 PM
All Ohio

simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
NCAA Compliance would hammer a school like Mount Union if things are not being done the right way.
It is technically legal to offer as much academic scholarships as they want but by rights the students don't deserve as much of a scholarship purely on academic merit but they get it because of their athletic ability. No one can prove that the student would or wouldn't have got that scholarship otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-17, 08:58 AM
Freshman

Bigbear243 is on a distinguished road
I guess you would have to look at the season the HS had, normal for the school, or exceed expectations? Who are the friends of the freshman? Last team event for seniors.

Other than that the player's coaches and/ or teammates can ask the player about it if they have an issue. If parents have issue w/ it they can talk to the parents so they can be told to f*(|< off and worry about their own kid.
Old 06-04-17, 09:29 AM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
At our high school the coach spells it out very clearly in a preseason parent meeting- if you play for the team you will be at the banquet (date is set way ahead of time). The banquet is to honor the senior class and it is expected that everyone with the program will be there or they won't be a part of the program. No excuses- no club team games take priority over the banquet. Only exception I have heard of was a sisters wedding, but that was communicated.
Old 06-04-17, 09:46 AM
All District

Salesman is on a distinguished road
When I was coaching, we included the banquet as part of the season. If you missed the banquet, it was the same as missing a game. We would not allow a player to miss a game to play with another team, then why allow him to miss the banquet?
Old 06-04-17, 09:48 AM
All District

Salesman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKLE View Post
Unless your high school team won the state title, go to the game.

Every coach worth his while would encourage the same, even the high school coach!
And this is exactly why kids don't understand the word "commitment".
Old 06-04-17, 10:06 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
It is technically legal to offer as much academic scholarships as they want but by rights the students don't deserve as much of a scholarship purely on academic merit but they get it because of their athletic ability. No one can prove that the student would or wouldn't have got that scholarship otherwise.

If anyone has ever played a baseball summer tournament game at Mount, they may have noticed that the guys fixing up the field between games - three student-aged guys instead of one old man like at some fields - are shaped more like football players than baseball players ? Lots of ways to skin a cat.....
Old 06-04-17, 10:08 AM
All Yappi

Y'all can have my dessert and my kid's at the banquet if he has a game - unless you are watching your weight. After you take your Midol's and adjust your panty shields, you can moan about us between bites
Old 06-04-17, 10:36 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
If anyone has ever played a baseball summer tournament game at Mount, they may have noticed that the guys fixing up the field between games - three student-aged guys instead of one old man like at some fields - are shaped more like football players than baseball players ? Lots of ways to skin a cat.....
That's called work study and all small colleges that don't have big staffs offer those things.
Old 06-04-17, 10:42 AM
All Region

Quote:

Technically, yes, but kids with low GPA's getting academic money is not happening. People make excuses for their own failures all the time.

All other OAC Schools have the same rules in front of them. Too bad those schools don't step up their football programs. John Carroll had a nice year last year and should continue to be very good. BW getting rid of Snell was long overdue. The Kehres family has just created something very special and the others haven't caught up on a consistent basis.
Old 06-04-17, 07:53 PM
All American

bigkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKLE View Post
Unless your high school team won the state title, go to the game.

Every coach worth his while would encourage the same, even the high school coach!
every parent worth his while would say honor your commitment to your teammates......
Old 06-04-17, 08:11 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
Banquet.
Old 06-04-17, 08:25 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballCrazy1 View Post
Totally agree!! Ican't believe this is even a discussion- it really is about respect. Too many parents don't have it and therefore aren't teaching respect. My kids wouldn't even think to have a choice- they would simply ask what time and where- then show up.
Old 06-04-17, 08:45 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
Totally agree!! Ican't believe this is even a discussion- it really is about respect. Too many parents don't have it and therefore aren't teaching respect. My kids wouldn't even think to have a choice- they would simply ask what time and where- then show up.
Old 06-04-17, 09:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
That's called work study and all small colleges that don't have big staffs offer those things.
Well, duh.

The point is that most schools let baseball players take care of baseball fields. Just making an observation, that's all.
Old 06-04-17, 10:07 PM
All Region

Quote:
Well, duh.

The point is that most schools let baseball players take care of baseball fields. Just making an observation, that's all.
So Mount Union is the only one that has kids doing it that don't look like baseball players? All the other small schools around Ohio have baseball players doing this?
Old 06-04-17, 10:44 PM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Too much emphasis on the for-profit athletics of the children and not enough on the school-based activities.

High school baseball - free (or maybe a few hundred in pay-to-play areas)

Club baseball - multiple thousand $ plus private lessons to line the pocket of club owners

Where do you think the parent will steer the kid ??? Follow the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-17, 06:48 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
So Mount Union is the only one that has kids doing it that don't look like baseball players? All the other small schools around Ohio have baseball players doing this?
No one said that. You are way too defensive here. To the point of just being silly.

Like I said, merely an observation of what the priority is down there. No accusations of any wrong-doing. Calm down.
Old 06-05-17, 08:00 AM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree that you go to the banquet. Especially if the kid was a varsity starter. One banquet a year to celebrate a season with your teammates from that team. Many Summer baseball games to play. You also are showing respect seeing your teammates that get recognized as well. Skipping a banquet is a selfish move.
This is how I feel, as well.
Old 06-05-17, 09:48 AM
All Region

Quote:
No one said that. You are way too defensive here. To the point of just being silly.

Like I said, merely an observation of what the priority is down there. No accusations of any wrong-doing. Calm down.
Of course there is nothing illegal at all. Just laughing that because you see three kids that look like football players working on a field (Did you talk to them and see if they were current players?), that makes a difference in them winning football games?
Old 06-05-17, 11:27 AM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Wow, really surprised there has been so much discussion to this. My son would have gone to the game....no question. Heck, he missed the banquet his senior year when he was named League POY.

But......our "banquet" consists of the team going to a shelter house in the park. No more than half the kids have shown up any of the 4 years he played. They have chicken wings and a drink for the kids....parents just stand and watch. The entire thing may last 20 minutes depending on whether or not the coach decided to say more than a couple sentences.....lol. That being said, he still would have gone to a game, even if he had a real banquet. Summer ball here in Ohio once you're in HS lasts 5-6 weekends at best, and at our school, college recruiters are non-existent....you are seen in the summer. He couldn't afford to miss out on any summer games.
Old 06-05-17, 11:31 AM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post
Too much emphasis on the for-profit athletics of the children and not enough on the school-based activities.

High school baseball - free (or maybe a few hundred in pay-to-play areas)

Club baseball - multiple thousand $ plus private lessons to line the pocket of club owners

Where do you think the parent will steer the kid ??? Follow the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is hilarious to me coming from someone with the user name of a school that costs $10K plus per year. Small town public school kids don't have the opportunities to be seen by college coaches during HS games...it just doesn't happen. Sure, they will come to a school like Hoban if they're playing Walsh in a regular season game....it makes sense, but it doesn't happen here
Old 06-05-17, 05:10 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
Wow, really surprised there has been so much discussion to this. My son would have gone to the game....no question. Heck, he missed the banquet his senior year when he was named League POY.

But......our "banquet" consists of the team going to a shelter house in the park. No more than half the kids have shown up any of the 4 years he played. They have chicken wings and a drink for the kids....parents just stand and watch. The entire thing may last 20 minutes depending on whether or not the coach decided to say more than a couple sentences.....lol. That being said, he still would have gone to a game, even if he had a real banquet. Summer ball here in Ohio once you're in HS lasts 5-6 weekends at best, and at our school, college recruiters are non-existent....you are seen in the summer. He couldn't afford to miss out on any summer games.
That's too bad that the banquet at your school is not done the right way.

Where is your son playing ball at now?
Old 06-05-17, 09:17 PM
All American

bigkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

not a very good banquet.....our's lasted 2 hours, wedding style meal, talks by freshman, JV, and Varsity coach, said some nice positive things about each kid, very impressed, and this was done before the Cats won the State Championship in Div 4 this past weekend...
Old 06-05-17, 10:38 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm confused over the debate over this as well. You would think this is a simple answer. Like I said a while back, I don't know of any legit coach that would have a problem with a kid missing a game due to this commitment.
Old 06-05-17, 10:41 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Should we question just how great your kid actually is if missing a single game is something he can't afford due to needing to be seen? Real question.