Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-02-17, 09:17 AM
All Region

Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
Banquet or Game

I have a question, would your son miss his high school Baseball banquet to play with his travel team game? My grandson chose to play in the game and missed his banquet and I'm hearing there was grumbling. What would your player do?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-17, 09:36 AM
All District

stormballer
Simple! You go to the banquet. If not, don't complain when little Johnny is not playing as much or where he/you would like. Remember, people are making sacrifices for him and trying to help him out in many ways you as a parent/grandparent do not know. It is truly disrespectful not to.
Old 06-02-17, 09:37 AM
Varsity

2manyBats is on a distinguished road
Play the Game
Old 06-02-17, 09:38 AM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
As summer travel baseball is typically much more competitive, and fun for the kids, many will bypass the local high school banquet or award program in favor of playing a travel game. I guess it's ultimately up to the kid and his parents to decide, but I certainly understand why a kid would rather play ball, then sit thru a post season award "banquet".
Old 06-02-17, 09:53 AM
All Region

Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormballer View Post
Simple! You go to the banquet. If not, don't complain when little Johnny is not playing as much or where he/you would like. Remember, people are making sacrifices for him and trying to help him out in many ways you as a parent/grandparent do not know. It is truly disrespectful not to.
Just to clarify, little Johnny was a freshman who started Varsity and lettered, also I asked this question true as a grandfather but I have coached summer baseball for 43 years. It wasn't his coach that was grumbling from what I hear now but some parents. Surprising....
Old 06-02-17, 09:59 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Always the game for us. I must have brain-washed my boys, because it's never even been a discussion. Sometimes it's the "team first" ethic, in part, that brings the award.

My kids have always taken the time to respectfully thank presenting bodies or individuals after the fact when they have missed such events, and even warned those in charge ahead of time when we've known that they would be receiving an award and that they would not be in attendance , but they've always played the games.

I guess an extremely prestigious award could be an exception. One son received a "one-in-a-year" award while not in attendance that perhaps would have made him want to check with his summer ball coach about how many boys were available to play. When they've engraved your name on it already, they probably won't take it back and give it to someone else
Old 06-02-17, 10:05 AM
Freshman

SOD is on a distinguished road
What makes the new team more important than the one you just got done playing for. If possible.....attending the end of the year stuff is just as important as stepping on the field. If he lettered as a fresh....it can't be surprising that he was scrutinized for his absence.
Old 06-02-17, 10:07 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormballer View Post
Any coach that is slighted by a player choosing to play over receiving personal accolades, and slighted enough to take it out on his playing time later on, is no one that I want my kids within a mile of.

For me, as in the case of baseball, it has nothing at all to do with which season has greater influence on the kids future. Players play. Kind of like "you don't count your money while you're sitting at the table..".
Old 06-02-17, 10:10 AM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
In my opinion, school sports should trump summer/travel/elite/AAU stuff, so I would have my kid at the banquet.
Old 06-02-17, 10:11 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wildcat View Post
Just to clarify, little Johnny was a freshman who started Varsity and lettered, also I asked this question true as a grandfather but I have coached summer baseball for 43 years. It wasn't his coach that was grumbling from what I hear now but some parents. Surprising....
Little Johnny could probably hand the kids of the grumbling parents their azzes, too, huh ? No surprise to me that the Coach was OK.
Old 06-02-17, 10:15 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
In my opinion, school sports should trump summer/travel/elite/AAU stuff, so I would have my kid at the banquet.
They do. A kid can't play travel ball until his school team releases him.

I guess if it's the Speech Club or the Debate Team, banquets might have a higher place......
Old 06-02-17, 10:19 AM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Is this the only game the team is going to play all season? Pretty sure it's the only banquet though. You go to the banquet. Any coach of a team should understand that commitment and not have a problem with it. You should care less what other parents may think, seeing that the only ones that know the entire story is your family and the coach.
Old 06-02-17, 10:41 AM
All Region

Bugsy8875 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Is this the only game the team is going to play all season? Pretty sure it's the only banquet though. You go to the banquet. Any coach of a team should understand that commitment and not have a problem with it. You should care less what other parents may think, seeing that the only ones that know the entire story is your family and the coach.
I agree that you go to the banquet. Especially if the kid was a varsity starter. One banquet a year to celebrate a season with your teammates from that team. Many Summer baseball games to play. You also are showing respect seeing your teammates that get recognized as well. Skipping a banquet is a selfish move.
Old 06-02-17, 11:12 AM
All Ohio

SOD, you ask" what makes the new team more important than the one you just got done playing for?" Well one big reason might be that the good summer team/organization you are playing for might have done 10 times more than your high school program in helping a talented kid get recruited by a college program. Things like putting on a multi organization showcase, where over 50 college coaches/recruiters showed up to evaluate the kids. Things like arranging on campus visits between college coaches and kids. Things like entering summer teams in the right summer tournaments where a potential college baseball recruit has a much better chance of being seen by multiple colleges during the span of the tournament. Things like having your summer organizational director, personally contact various college coaches on a kids behalf, and provide game film, stats, etc, then advocate for those kids with said college coaches. What it can come down to is a sense of appreciation and loyalty a kid and his family have come to develop with the right summer team and their staff, as opposed to the minimal support and opportunity for growth some high school programs provide for many high school kids. A sense of commitment and respect some refer to as being owed the high school coaches works both ways. Often many coaches show little to no interest in their ballplayers quest to find the right college program while many summer organizations do. So, therefore often a kids loyalty will break toward their summer program, rather than a high school program which offered some kids little support in their college baseball dreams.
Old 06-02-17, 11:32 AM
All Ohio

93 red ls is on a distinguished road
Communication , communication , communication.....did I mention communication???

I'd venture to say 60-70% of HS head coaches have SOME affiliation with a travel team. I'd be willing to say that you COMMUNICATE to the HC any scheduling conflicts, and they will do their absolute best to make it work.

Congrats on being a freshmen and varsity starter around here That's pretty big!
Old 06-02-17, 01:08 PM
All Ohio

playboi12 is on a distinguished road
It is really no big deal of player X misses a banquet. Things come up, people have things to do. If you know you are not winning any type of special award, no harm no foul. My hs team had a pig roast for our end-of-year banquet. No way in heck I was missing that
Old 06-02-17, 01:14 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by playboi12 View Post
It is really no big deal of player X misses a banquet. Things come up, people have things to do. If you know you are not winning any type of special award, no harm no foul. My hs team had a pig roast for our end-of-year banquet. No way in heck I was missing that
Let me guess....

1B, 5-hole hitter, with 0:07.98 60 yd.....with a tailwind ?
Old 06-02-17, 02:15 PM
All Ohio

playboi12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Let me guess....

1B, 5-hole hitter, with 0:07.98 60 yd.....with a tailwind ?
You needed a sundial to time my '60.
Old 06-02-17, 03:21 PM
All Yappi

Old 06-02-17, 06:22 PM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wildcat View Post
I have a question, would your son miss his high school Baseball banquet to play with his travel team game? My grandson chose to play in the game and missed his banquet and I'm hearing there was grumbling. What would your player do?
banquet....easy answer
Old 06-02-17, 06:30 PM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
SOD, you ask" what makes the new team more important than the one you just got done playing for?" Well one big reason might be that the good summer team/organization you are playing for might have done 10 times more than your high school program in helping a talented kid get recruited by a college program. Things like putting on a multi organization showcase, where over 50 college coaches/recruiters showed up to evaluate the kids. Things like arranging on campus visits between college coaches and kids. Things like entering summer teams in the right summer tournaments where a potential college baseball recruit has a much better chance of being seen by multiple colleges during the span of the tournament. Things like having your summer organizational director, personally contact various college coaches on a kids behalf, and provide game film, stats, etc, then advocate for those kids with said college coaches. What it can come down to is a sense of appreciation and loyalty a kid and his family have come to develop with the right summer team and their staff, as opposed to the minimal support and opportunity for growth some high school programs provide for many high school kids. A sense of commitment and respect some refer to as being owed the high school coaches works both ways. Often many coaches show little to no interest in their ballplayers quest to find the right college program while many summer organizations do. So, therefore often a kids loyalty will break toward their summer program, rather than a high school program which offered some kids little support in their college baseball dreams.
or maybe the summer Travel team is just a MONEY GRAB.....you show loyalty and respect to your HS team.....go eat some chicken and be with your teammates that you probably grew up with instead of traveling 100 miles to play with some teammates that probably live 20 to 50 miles away from you.....
Old 06-02-17, 07:47 PM
All Region

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Went to my high school alumni banquet last weekend. The school consolidated 57 years ago, so haven't had any new alumni added for a loooong time. Had a small class, 20 of us that graduated in '58, 12 of us still alive, and six of us were seated together at one table. Only two of us are left from the basketball roster we shared and Dave and I had a great time talking about old times. One of the things we talked about were the end of year sports banquets. As old folks are prone to do we remembered those times together as being the glue that held us together through the summers. Doubt I could ever feel that way about a travel game.
Old 06-02-17, 08:23 PM
All Region

Springsteen is on a distinguished road
Smile

The player committed to high school team before committing to Travel Team. See your commitments through. Have some integrity. Banquet is a slam dunk.
Old 06-02-17, 09:42 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
Banquet.
Old 06-02-17, 10:17 PM
All District

MERKLE is on a distinguished road
Unless your high school team won the state title, go to the game.

Every coach worth his while would encourage the same, even the high school coach!
Old 06-02-17, 11:56 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Hmmm. Game or some other event.

Ill just say this......we basically skipped our HS graduation for a game. We went for 5 minutes, had a special presentation, and bolted.

I would likely do the game.
Old 06-03-17, 07:27 AM
All Ohio

Our summer team is far from a "money grab". Charges less than half of the fees most of the other local big organizations do, yet every kid on the 18 U team is committed to a college for baseball in 2018. Plus the boys have basically been together for more than a couple of years. They have been and currently are friends, regardless of the distance they have to travel to see each other, which they do quite often. In our case, the high school team had few seniors, and the team was not a tight group. So unfortunately there wasn't much of a sense of "team", like many other high school baseball programs. When you add up the amount of time the summer team spends together, including socializing, winter training, and playing up to 60 plus games a summer, it's an easy decision to play the game. But, I'm sure much of that is because of the lackluster high school experience.
Old 06-03-17, 01:00 PM
All District

stormballer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
Our summer team is far from a "money grab". Charges less than half of the fees most of the other local big organizations do, yet every kid on the 18 U team is committed to a college for baseball in 2018. Plus the boys have basically been together for more than a couple of years. They have been and currently are friends, regardless of the distance they have to travel to see each other, which they do quite often. In our case, the high school team had few seniors, and the team was not a tight group. So unfortunately there wasn't much of a sense of "team", like many other high school baseball programs. When you add up the amount of time the summer team spends together, including socializing, winter training, and playing up to 60 plus games a summer, it's an easy decision to play the game. But, I'm sure much of that is because of the lackluster high school experience.
Do you mind me asking what organization? 100% percent of the team committed to the next level is amazing (almost unheard of). Would like to see what they are doing right.
Old 06-03-17, 02:32 PM
All Region

cone is on a distinguished road
I must be OLD SCHOOL, would spend my high school days with life time friends and classmates, with the same goals, then people I only know for a couple of months. Because everyone knows if you play travel ball, you are getting a college scholarship right, NOT. This senior class at my local school is sending Two players to college with baseball scholarships, neither played travel ball, only high school. Three other seniors played travel ball, not one got an offer, for baseball or any other sport.
Old 06-03-17, 03:02 PM
All Region

Bugsy8875 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cone View Post
I must be OLD SCHOOL, would spend my high school days with life time friends and classmates, with the same goals, then people I only know for a couple of months. Because everyone knows if you play travel ball, you are getting a college scholarship right, NOT. This senior class at my local school is sending Two players to college with baseball scholarships, neither played travel ball, only high school. Three other seniors played travel ball, not one got an offer, for baseball or any other sport.
Baseball Scholarships are almost always split up. Very rare to hear of anyone getting a full one. Also, if a school offers some money, you hope they have a solid academic program for the area the kid wants to study.

Also, don't let any parent try to tell you they got money to play D3.

I tried to attach an NCAA list
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NCAA_Scholarship_Allotments.pdf (165.9 KB, 30 views)