Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-23-16, 09:56 PM
Varsity

Slink6 is on a distinguished road
You will never convince me that it is right to be up by 42 going into the 4th quarter, and come out with your starters and continue to press and jack threes until very late in the 4th quarter. There's no excuse that makes that right. Hope he enjoys embarrassing 16-17 year old kids.
Old 12-23-16, 10:23 PM
All American

Scrapper56 is on a distinguished road
Always a nice win when you beat your rival. Mcdonald has dominated the series for a number of years. Good to see coach Hughes out trying to get the Rams in the right direction. Hughes played for Coach RAZILE so he knows what it's going to take to get his team in the right direction going forward. With that being said, I think McDonald has the potential to be very good this year

I like what I seen tonight from a few other players ooff the bench in Celli and Emerson. Will be fun to watch this team when they matchup against Wellsville. Thought JV team looked sharp tonight.
Old 12-23-16, 10:27 PM
All Region

BLUE DEVIL 81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slink6 View Post
You will never convince me that it is right to be up by 42 going into the 4th quarter, and come out with your starters and continue to press and jack threes until very late in the 4th quarter. There's no excuse that makes that right. Hope he enjoys embarrassing 16-17 year old kids.
I was at a game earlier this year and he put all his starters on the bench to start the 4th Q and they still scored 123. What is he supposed to do, bench his starters for the whole 2nd half? I agree with the fact that it is only the 5th game of the season and he has to get his team ready for bigger games later in the season. Doesn't there come a point where it is incumbent on the other team to stop them?
Old 12-23-16, 10:30 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper56 View Post
Always a nice win when you beat your rival. Mcdonald has dominated the series for a number of years. Good to see coach Hughes out trying to get the Rams in the right direction. Hughes played for Coach RAZILE so he knows what it's going to take to get his team in the right direction going forward. With that being said, I think McDonald has the potential to be very good this year

I like what I seen tonight from a few other players ooff the bench in Celli and Emerson. Will be fun to watch this team when they matchup against Wellsville. Thought JV team looked sharp tonight.
These people on here that criticize Rasile, why don't we ask Coach Hughes from Ridge if he thought Rasile was wrong in how he handled this game.
Old 12-23-16, 10:35 PM
All American

Scrapper56 is on a distinguished road
I agree with you. Mcdonald has been running this style of basketball since 2009 i believe, so its no secret what their going to throw at u.
Old 12-23-16, 10:41 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE DEVIL 81 View Post
These people on here that criticize Rasile, why don't we ask Coach Hughes from Ridge if he thought Rasile was wrong in how he handled this game.
I won't comment on the asking Coach Hughes comment because I'm actually quite close with Coach Hughes so I know exactly how he feels and I won't comment one way or the other because that's not my place. However I will say this. I believe there is a line to be crossed and Rasile has crossed it a few times. What is your logic on keeping your starters in and pressing when your already up by 40 going into the 4th? That somehow pressing and jacking threes when up 40 against a team that is clearly far far far inferior to yours is going to help your team prepare for a close game later in the year? That is absurd. In no way shape or form is doing what they did to Ridge tonight in the 4th quarter helping them prepare for a game against a better opponent late in the season. All your doing at that point is pouring salt in the wounds of those 16 and 17 year old kids. I've played and coached all the way up to the college level and have been on both ends of good ole fashioned butt whoopings, and there is nothing that can be said that can convince me that pressing and shooting quick 3s with your starters late in the 4th quarter was a necessary action by Rasile to prepare his team. You want to put in your JV team and have them gain some experience by running your system? Fine. But to have your starters out there, kicking a team when they are down and out, is just classless and wrong in my opinion.
Old 12-23-16, 10:43 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper56 View Post
I agree with you. Mcdonald has been running this style of basketball since 2009 i believe, so its no secret what their going to throw at u.
And because they've been doing it since 2009 it makes it right for them to not just blowout, but absolutely embarrass far inferior teams? Sure we know what we are going to get style wise from them but there's still a thing called sportsmanship. And being up by 50-60 points, and still pressing and shooting quick threes, would be the exact opposite of good sportsmanship.
Old 12-23-16, 10:46 PM
Varsity

My question is, what does Rasile have to prove that he needs to keep his foot on the gas even once his team is up by 50-60 points? Why does he feel that it's necessary? We all get it. He's a great coach. He has a great system and coaches his kids up great to succeed within that system. Nobody can debate that. But what is the need for intentionally crossing that line of blowing a team out and embarrassing them? I just don't understand.
Old 12-23-16, 11:09 PM
All Ohio

beaker is on a distinguished road
Mcdonald gonna have a tough stretch of games starting Jan 7 against Wellsville. Then Girard and South Range. Interesting Range won by 46 against Crestview tonight. McDonald won by 51. Yet no talk of Range running up the score. Is it because they play a different style. Thats just as big a blowout maybe more so cause of system they run.
Old 12-23-16, 11:23 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker View Post
Mcdonald gonna have a tough stretch of games starting Jan 7 against Wellsville. Then Girard and South Range. Interesting Range won by 46 against Crestview tonight. McDonald won by 51. Yet no talk of Range running up the score. Is it because they play a different style. Thats just as big a blowout maybe more so cause of system they run.
Let me just be clear, I have no problem with the score itself. It's the way you get to the score. I'm not sure how the South Range game played out. But what I do know is McDonald was up 42 going into the 4th and they come out in a press and shooting quick threes with their starters until late in the 4th. I have no problem if a team wins by 40-50-60. I have an issue when a team is up 40 plus in the 4th quarter and they are still trying to extend the lead with a press and their starters. Obviously, when your as talented as McDonald, and play the style they do, they are going to find themselves in a lot of lopsided games. But when that 4th quarter rolls around and you are up 30-40-50 points there is zero need to have your starters in the game, pressing and trapping full court, and shooting quick shots. Clear your bench, run your offense. People want to say "they need to prepare for a close game for later in the year". Well guess what. Think they might ever be in a situation where they are up 2 or 3 with the ball and a couple mins left and they need to run the clock until the other team is forced to foul? Why not work on that? Run it a min or so and then get into a set. That is a realistic scenario that come Struthers, Canton, and Columbus they will need to be efficient at. Guess won't they won't need to be efficient at? Pressing and trapping a far inferior team when they are up 50 in the 4th quarter. I just can't wrap my head around the decision to continue to do that given the time and score of the game.
Old 12-23-16, 11:56 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Let me just be clear, I have no problem with the score itself. It's the way you get to the score. I'm not sure how the South Range game played out. But what I do know is McDonald was up 42 going into the 4th and they come out in a press and shooting quick threes with their starters until late in the 4th. I have no problem if a team wins by 40-50-60. I have an issue when a team is up 40 plus in the 4th quarter and they are still trying to extend the lead with a press and their starters. Obviously, when your as talented as McDonald, and play the style they do, they are going to find themselves in a lot of lopsided games. But when that 4th quarter rolls around and you are up 30-40-50 points there is zero need to have your starters in the game, pressing and trapping full court, and shooting quick shots. Clear your bench, run your offense. People want to say "they need to prepare for a close game for later in the year". Well guess what. Think they might ever be in a situation where they are up 2 or 3 with the ball and a couple mins left and they need to run the clock until the other team is forced to foul? Why not work on that? Run it a min or so and then get into a set. That is a realistic scenario that come Struthers, Canton, and Columbus they will need to be efficient at. Guess won't they won't need to be efficient at? Pressing and trapping a far inferior team when they are up 50 in the 4th quarter. I just can't wrap my head around the decision to continue to do that given the time and score of the game.
Yes it would be good to practice situational scenarios. No doubt in a couple weeks they will be doing just that. Running sets in a close game. But whats the saying? Jack of all trades...master of none. Most teams live or die by playing their style at this level. McDonald certainly does and this year they really got a lot of talent we'll see how far it takes them.

Last edited by beaker; 12-24-16 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-24-16, 01:57 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Yes it would be good to practice situational scenarios. No doubt in a couple weeks they will be doing just that. Running sets in a close game. But whats the saying? Jack of all trades...master of none. Most teams live or die by playing their style at this level. McDonald certainly does and this year they really got a lot of talent we'll see how far it takes them.
They have a lot of talent, there's certainly no denying that. But again, when your up by 40 and 50, there's other things you could be doing to benefit your team then pressing and jacking 3s with your starters. Perfect opportunity to work on those things, maybe get the end of your bench some extended run, all the while showing some mercy and winning by 30-40 instead of 50-80. There's a difference between blowing a team out and kicking a team when their down and embarrassing them. Just don't see the need for it other than trying to prove something or simply being out of touch with what it means to show a little bit of sportsmanship.
Old 12-24-16, 06:55 AM
All District

littlepup
Slink6, just about everybody in the whole area agrees with you. Unbelievable the poor sportsmanship that takes place.
Old 12-24-16, 03:46 PM
All Ohio

the oracle
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
The team has great chemistry, Magill has been a great team leader on the floor. Rasile's son has a great shooting stroke, but far from the only offensive threat, both Poole and Raggazine are fantastic shooters and scorers and put up really good numbers. All around the team imo is better than last year

As for running the whole game, it's a necessary evil to get the players conditioned and ready to play a full game, otherwise they'll get in to a close game and be gassed.
You just don't get it, do you?
Old 12-24-16, 04:46 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by the oracle View Post
I'm sorry,but the game I was at against Columbiana, McDonald had 70 at halftime. Columbiana is not a horrible team. They have won a few. I was not there last night but if I am coaching the other team, have some pride and stop them. 70 points in 16 minutes? Play some D.
Old 12-24-16, 05:08 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I do get that it's more important to prepare YOUR team than to worry about hurting some people's feelings on yappi
Old 12-24-16, 05:16 PM
All World

Quote:
That'll be a stretch where we'll see how good this team really is. As impressive as they've looked, it's been against weak competition. Don't forget Western Reserve in that stretch, they've been off to a nice start as well. They'll also get a nice test right before tournament play with the rescheduled Springfield game.
Old 12-24-16, 11:48 PM
Varsity

Quote:
No he doesn't get it lol. It's not about having pride and stopping them. Again, I'll reiterate. There is a huge difference between blowing a team out and kicking a team when there down by continuing to press and jack threes with your starters who are clearly superior to the team your embarrassing as evidenced by the 50 point lead you have. Sorry but continuing to press a far less talented team then yours after you've already beat them into submission is not "preparing" your team for later in the year.
Old 12-24-16, 11:55 PM
All Ohio

the oracle
Quote:
I'm sorry,but the game I was at against Columbiana, McDonald had 70 at halftime. Columbiana is not a horrible team. They have won a few. I was not there last night but if I am coaching the other team, have some pride and stop them. 70 points in 16 minutes? Play some D.
Guess you don't get it either. "If I am coaching". My guess is you probably never have.
Old 12-25-16, 02:16 AM
All Region

Quote:
Guess you don't get it either. "If I am coaching". My guess is you probably never have.
You guessed wrong. 😎
Old 12-25-16, 09:08 AM
All Ohio

confused is an unknown quantity at this point
Might be time for a 30 point lead running clock like they have in football. This will prevent some coach's from padding their career point average and win margin as it appears here is important to some.
Old 12-25-16, 11:15 AM
All Ohio

the oracle
Quote:
You guessed wrong. 😎
I don't think so. Junior High doesn't count!
Old 12-25-16, 01:16 PM
All Region

Quote:
I don't think so. Junior High doesn't count!
Guessed wrong again. 😎. Once again, I was not at the Ridge game but some comments were made about that game which I question. For example, someone stated that Rasile kept his son in the game so he could reach his scoring average. His son has been averaging around 25 a game before the Ridge game and I saw he had 12 at Ridge. So it doesn't make sense to say he kept him in so he could get his avg. And no one has answered the question as to McDonald having 70 at the half against Columbiana. I will say it again, that is 70 points in 16 min. They could have scored only 10 in the 3rd and 4th and still put up 90. He pulled all his staters out after 3. He only dressed 10 that game. It is the 2nd game of the season. These kids want to play, not stand around passing the ball back and forth for a whole half. And he did take the press off in the game.
Old 12-25-16, 01:19 PM
All Region

I remember a game several years ago against Leetonia where McDonald had 99 with a couple minutes to go and it was obvious he told the kids not to shoot so they would not get 100. Well, one of the kids drove toward the basket and Leetonia was playing no D and he couldn't resist and layed it in. It is my understanding that Rasile made the whole team run after that.
Old 12-25-16, 06:52 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Guessed wrong again. ��. Once again, I was not at the Ridge game but some comments were made about that game which I question. For example, someone stated that Rasile kept his son in the game so he could reach his scoring average. His son has been averaging around 25 a game before the Ridge game and I saw he had 12 at Ridge. So it doesn't make sense to say he kept him in so he could get his avg. And no one has answered the question as to McDonald having 70 at the half against Columbiana. I will say it again, that is 70 points in 16 min. They could have scored only 10 in the 3rd and 4th and still put up 90. He pulled all his staters out after 3. He only dressed 10 that game. It is the 2nd game of the season. These kids want to play, not stand around passing the ball back and forth for a whole half. And he did take the press off in the game.

I'll answer that question. Again as someone who has been around the game my entire life playing or coaching at all different levels from youth up through the college ranks, when your up by 50 or 60 you call off the dogs. Let me go on record again by saying I don't care about the overall score itself. I'm not looking at the 123-45 score against Columbiana or the 111-60 score against Ridge. I'm looking at what is done after you've reached that point of ok, we are up 40 or 50 we can tone it down a notch now. We can can start to work on some other things, for example time management, or 1 shot scenarios. We can get the end of the bench some extended run during a varsity game. There's a number of different ways to continue to coach up your kids even once your up 40 or 50. Keeping your starters in, pressing and trapping, and jacking quick threes is nothing but poor sportsmanship, classless, and in my opinion completely uncalled for during a high school basketball game. That Columbiana game for instance was a perfect opportunity for Coach Rasile once he was up by 40 in the first half and In complete control of the game to call the dogs off in the second half. Start to integrate the JV players. Call off the press. Work on a half court zone that who knows, you might just need when you get to Canton. Coming out and pressing and trapping with your starting 5 when your already up by 50 at half? Come on man take your blinders off. These are kids. Unfortunately some are only gonna be so good and once they've already gotten their behinds whooped what does Rasile have to gain by keeping his foot on their throat?! Nothing is the answer. Besides him trying to prove something which again at the expense of 15-16-17 year old kids is pretty classless if you ask me. Bottom line is go beat a team by 50. I don't care, blowouts don't bother me as they come with the territory. Just have some respect and class while you do so and respect the integrity of the game and high school sports in general.
Old 12-25-16, 10:56 PM
All Ohio

confused is an unknown quantity at this point
Well said and no response is even warranted.
Old 12-26-16, 04:19 PM
All American

bulldog1974 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
I'll answer that question. Again as someone who has been around the game my entire life playing or coaching at all different levels from youth up through the college ranks, when your up by 50 or 60 you call off the dogs. Let me go on record again by saying I don't care about the overall score itself. I'm not looking at the 123-45 score against Columbiana or the 111-60 score against Ridge. I'm looking at what is done after you've reached that point of ok, we are up 40 or 50 we can tone it down a notch now. We can can start to work on some other things, for example time management, or 1 shot scenarios. We can get the end of the bench some extended run during a varsity game. There's a number of different ways to continue to coach up your kids even once your up 40 or 50. Keeping your starters in, pressing and trapping, and jacking quick threes is nothing but poor sportsmanship, classless, and in my opinion completely uncalled for during a high school basketball game. That Columbiana game for instance was a perfect opportunity for Coach Rasile once he was up by 40 in the first half and In complete control of the game to call the dogs off in the second half. Start to integrate the JV players. Call off the press. Work on a half court zone that who knows, you might just need when you get to Canton. Coming out and pressing and trapping with your starting 5 when your already up by 50 at half? Come on man take your blinders off. These are kids. Unfortunately some are only gonna be so good and once they've already gotten their behinds whooped what does Rasile have to gain by keeping his foot on their throat?! Nothing is the answer. Besides him trying to prove something which again at the expense of 15-16-17 year old kids is pretty classless if you ask me. Bottom line is go beat a team by 50. I don't care, blowouts don't bother me as they come with the territory. Just have some respect and class while you do so and respect the integrity of the game and high school sports in general.
I hear nothing but Crickets.... Good post!
Old 12-26-16, 05:34 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog1974 View Post
No response necessary. 3 of us have already responded to this many times. Same complaints were posted last year. We cant help you all. So no more effort is needed to be wasted.
Old 12-26-16, 07:01 PM
All World

Quote:
No response necessary. 3 of us have already responded to this many times. Same complaints were posted last year. We cant help you all. So no more effort is needed to be wasted.
Exactly, I've said my peace. If you think it could be done better, call up coach Rasile. Surely the ones complaining have far surpassed 4 district titles, 4 unbeaten seasons and 63 straight wins to where they know what's best for a high school basketball team. Sheesh, im starting to see the Crestview folks point of view on the football side
Old 12-26-16, 07:24 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog1974 View Post
What more is there to say? I have responded numerous times and STILL no one has answered or responded to my comments. For example, the comment someone made that Rasile kept his son in the Ridge game so he could get his avg when he ended up with HALF his avg. McDonald had 70 at the half against Columbiana. Do they go four corners the whole 2nd half? And no response to Rasile telling them to hold the ball with over 2 min to go against Leetonia a few years back so they didn't score 100.