Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-12-15, 06:55 PM
All Yappi

dado6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
I'm just waiting for the first time a male "switches" genders and claims he/she now has the right to play women's sports and obtain a scholarship
Google Dr. Renee Richards. Dude in the 70's who did the Bruce Jenner and tried to play women's professional tennis
Old 11-12-15, 07:11 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
Ok let's get back on point.

Why is it ok to adjust intellectual scores but not physical scores?
I don't think either should be adjusted when it comes to fulfilling a professional duty
Old 11-12-15, 07:37 PM
All Yappi

the_big_toe will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I'm just waiting for the first time a male "switches" genders and claims he/she now has the right to play women's sports and obtain a scholarship
Fallon Fox.
Old 11-12-15, 09:09 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Just gonna' leave this here....

...and while we're at it...

Glenn Reynolds: After Yale, Mizzou, raise the voting age — to 25

Quote:
But now I’m starting to reconsider. To be a voter, one must be able to participate in adult political discussions. It’s necessary to be able to listen to opposing arguments and even — as I’m doing right here in this column — to change your mind in response to new evidence.

This evidence suggests that, whatever one might say about the 18-year-olds of 1971, the 18-year-olds of today aren’t up to that task. And even the 21-year-olds aren’t looking so good.
Old 11-12-15, 10:32 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Ok let's get back on point.

Why is it ok to adjust intellectual scores but not physical scores?

We're much better at vetting and evaluating physical skills but who says we don't "adjust" physical skills?

Push comes to shove, we'd all probably rather be the final say on who is best but I'm fine with a little forced play. I'm aware enough to know I've biases and limited cultural exposure that might keep me from seeing all people for who they are and the skills they might have. Sometimes the bigger group does have the more wisdom.
Old 11-12-15, 10:50 PM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
I think physical fitness, especially when it comes to police, fire fighters, and military should be more equally enforced and certainly not providing exemptions based on gender. Those are jobs where lack of physical fitness can put your and your co-workers lives in danger.
Old 11-12-15, 11:35 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
I think physical fitness, especially when it comes to police, fire fighters, and military should be more equally enforced and certainly not providing exemptions based on gender. Those are jobs where lack of physical fitness can put your and your co-workers lives in danger.
The really ironic thing is that so many of the jobs with the greater physical requirements in which women fall short - cops, firefighter/EMTs, construction trades, heavy manufacturing jobs - offer equal pay for women, while more cerebral jobs have been able to keep a gender disparity in wages favoring men.
Old 11-12-15, 11:54 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Race isn't real and there certainly isn't any difference intellectually between ethnicities.
Race isn't real?

How do you explain different races being more susceptible to different diseases, blacks and sickle cell the most obvious.
Old 11-13-15, 12:12 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Sickle cell an adaptation to malaria, I believe. And it's also found in Caucasian populations.
Old 11-13-15, 02:32 PM
All Ohio

Tardis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sickle cell an adaptation to malaria, I believe. And it's also found in Caucasian populations.
Still a genetic factor for a race of people. Every race can pass Tay-Sachs to their children, but those of Jewish descent are much more likely to.

Color aside it is absolutely ridiculous to argue that their isn't a genetic difference between population groups. It's why those of Swedish and Japanese descent live longer regardless of where they live, why the original group of people of who lived in Japan look completely different from those who migrated from Korea. It's why when you think of distance runners from Kenya, people in Kenya are thinking of one distinct tribe of people in Kenya.

And it's not specifically "black" people who have the adaptation to malaria but a very specific race of people from an area of Africa whose geography was favorable to the mutation. There are several distinct ethnic groups or races in Africa, with very different genetics and phenotypes that they display. It's no different than Sicilians be different from other Italians, or French people being genetically different than those in Balkan Countries.

One can argue the validity of IQ tests, or that they only reflect a certain type of intelligence but not that there is not a genetic difference between races of people
Old 11-13-15, 03:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
Still a genetic factor for a race of people. Every race can pass Tay-Sachs to their children, but those of Jewish descent are much more likely to.

Color aside it is absolutely ridiculous to argue that their isn't a genetic difference between population groups. It's why those of Swedish and Japanese descent live longer regardless of where they live, why the original group of people of who lived in Japan look completely different from those who migrated from Korea. It's why when you think of distance runners from Kenya, people in Kenya are thinking of one distinct tribe of people in Kenya.

And it's not specifically "black" people who have the adaptation to malaria but a very specific race of people from an area of Africa whose geography was favorable to the mutation. There are several distinct ethnic groups or races in Africa, with very different genetics and phenotypes that they display. It's no different than Sicilians be different from other Italians, or French people being genetically different than those in Balkan Countries.

One can argue the validity of IQ tests, or that they only reflect a certain type of intelligence but not that there is not a genetic difference between races of people
One can split people up any number of ways. How they look doesn't really matter. Longevity doesn't matter. Genetically, race does not exist. I'd suggest taking a human anthropology class if you want a more thorough explanation.

Last edited by Crusaders; 11-13-15 at 03:24 PM. Reason: On
Old 11-13-15, 04:16 PM
All American

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
One can split people up any number of ways. How they look doesn't really matter. Longevity doesn't matter. Genetically, race does not exist. I'd suggest taking a human anthropology class if you want a more thorough explanation.
You are denying a FACT of science. Race exists in all plants and animals.

It humors me that you deny a provable fact while adopting a concept that is silly at best in evolution.

Keep trying.
Old 11-13-15, 04:25 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
http://time.com/91081/what-science-s...-and-genetics/

The first article from a Google search from the Time quoting a New York Times writer.

"A longstanding orthodoxy among social scientists holds that human races are a social construct and have no biological basis. A related assumption is that human evolution halted in the distant past, so long ago that evolutionary explanations need never be considered by historians or economists.

New analyses of the human genome have established that human evolution has been recent, copious, and regional.In the decade since the decoding of the human genome, a growing wealth of data has made clear that these two positions, never at all likely to begin with, are simply incorrect"

There is not a denial that there are other influence like culture and geography, which is probably the greatest factor, but there are very specific phenotypes from specific genes that are more prevalent in group, ethnicity, or race, or whatever you like to call it.

It doesn't mean anyone can't be smart and it doesn't mean anyone can't train and run a marathon or whatever activity, but genetics does dictate that certain groups of developed genetic traits that means they are more likely to be better at certain things or more prone to do certain things based on biology.
Old 11-13-15, 04:30 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
You are denying a FACT of science. Race exists in all plants and animals.

It humors me that you deny a provable fact while adopting a concept that is silly at best in evolution.

Keep trying.
I'm confused, evolution is the result of genetic variation and the reason for there existing different ethnic groups.
Old 11-13-15, 04:33 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Crusaders the occurrence of "adaptations" in human populations has in fact led to differences between groups with respect to the human genome. However uncomfortable it makes people feel there is substantial evidence that natural selection has led to regional differences in the human genome. Net, there is a biological reality to racial differences.

While its true that all humans have the same set of genes, slight and subtle genetic differences from one race to another are expressed in the various forms of a gene (alleles) which are impacted by selection pressures (I'm probably fumbling the explanation here but this is what I understand the research in this area to be saying). It's important to note that this type of research rejects the notion of racial "superiority" in all it's ugly forms but does indicate that genetic differences between races are real and in such areas as health care, important.

Oh and I apologize if my post is viewed as a "micro aggression" that has assaulted the "safe zone" of the more fragile readers of Yappi.
Old 11-13-15, 04:42 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
I don't think there were races of people in the beginning. The many thousands of years of geographical division attributed for what we consider different "races" today. Societies were largely isolated from other societies for much of human history, creating different cultures and developing different attributes as a means of survival in a particular region.
Old 11-13-15, 05:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Crusaders the occurrence of "adaptations" in human populations has in fact led to differences between groups with respect to the human genome. However uncomfortable it makes people feel there is substantial evidence that natural selection has led to regional differences in the human genome. Net, there is a biological reality to racial differences.

While its true that all humans have the same set of genes, slight and subtle genetic differences from one race to another are expressed in the various forms of a gene (alleles) which are impacted by selection pressures (I'm probably fumbling the explanation here but this is what I understand the research in this area to be saying). It's important to note that this type of research rejects the notion of racial "superiority" in all it's ugly forms but does indicate that genetic differences between races are real and in such areas as health care, important.

Oh and I apologize if my post is viewed as a "micro aggression" that has assaulted the "safe zone" of the more fragile readers of Yappi.
The only reason sickle cell is so prominent in West Africa is because of malaria. The people with sickle cell (a relatively small amount) have a greater chance of living to reproductive age, so there are more of them than normal (a lot of non-sickle cell people die). Still, they don't even make up 30% of the population there. It is NOT evidence for the biological existence of race, especially once you consider the trait is found in people all around the Mediterranean and elsewhere.

You can't use small patches of human difference to claim race is real. Are the paler, taller, more cold-adjusted Northern Italians a different race than the shorter, tanner Southern Italians? No. Are the Irish a different race than Swedes? No. Lots of different peoples have different traits but does that mean they are of different races? No. And neither are Indians, Arabs, Africans, Native Americans, Eastern Europeans, Western Europeans, Polynesians, or anyone else. There is just human with different variances here and there.

Last edited by Crusaders; 11-13-15 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-13-15, 05:23 PM
Cooling Off

Uncle Ted is on a distinguished road
Everyone please state your profession.
I will start
Small business owner.
I would like to see something here.
Old 11-13-15, 05:25 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Living off of you taxpayers and there's nothing you can do about it.

Last edited by ronnie mund; 11-13-15 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-13-15, 05:30 PM
All Yappi

Professional lunch provider, video game section worker, and promoter of Soviet block housing developments.
Old 11-13-15, 05:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I don't think there were races of people in the beginning. The many thousands of years of geographical division attributed for what we consider different "races" today. Societies were largely isolated from other societies for much of human history, creating different cultures and developing different attributes as a means of survival in a particular region.
This is true but there is evidence that genetic changes can occur as a result of these long periods of relative isolation. There is also the fact that other human races (Neanderthals) have existed alongside current "humans" and some intermingling did occur.
Old 11-13-15, 05:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Everyone please state your profession.
I will start
Small business owner.
I would like to see something here.
Retired scientist with to much time on my hands!
Old 11-13-15, 05:42 PM
All World

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Anyone following this stuff in Paris? Horrible.
Old 11-13-15, 05:46 PM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Professional lunch provider, video game section worker, and promoter of Soviet block housing developments.
I thought you guit working at Game stop?
Old 11-13-15, 05:48 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Retired scientist with to much time on my hands!
Wow and you aren't as smart as crusaders?
Old 11-13-15, 05:49 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
Anyone following this stuff in Paris? Horrible.
Yes. But let's wait until Isis gets here before we do anything.
Old 11-13-15, 06:01 PM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes. But let's wait until Isis gets here before we do anything.
Yep, according to Saders, TP and BJF we are perfectly safe and have no need to meddle in these affairs. Oh and shrinking our military will also be a good idea.
Old 11-13-15, 06:07 PM
All Yappi

I still find it hilarious that people think our military, intelligence agencies, and beefed up airline securities are what's keeping people like ISIS out. There is literally nothing we can do to stop them, or anyone, from staging an attack; if they wanted to attack, they would. Yet, they don't. There's something about that that doesn't quite match the narrative we're told, eh?
Old 11-13-15, 06:09 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
I still find it hilarious that people think our military, intelligence agencies, and beefed up airline securities are what's keeping people like ISIS out. There is literally nothing we can do to stop them, or anyone, from staging an attack; if they wanted to attack, they would. Yet, they don't. There's something about that that doesn't quite match the narrative we're told, eh?
It's going to happen here. That's why we should of decimated them when we had the chance.
Old 11-13-15, 06:14 PM
All Yappi

Fear mongering is awesome.

I laughed out loud when someone, I think it was Cruz, said during the debate that Islamic extremists hate us because our women have freedoms, rights, and even drive. Talk about missing the boat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: