Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-17, 11:54 AM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Ouch!

13. A big :"yes" on Mr. Avalon pursuing his Venus.

Great consternation on the other two:

4. Yes, the Principal of Hickory did the Purple People Eater in '58; my celestial question comes from '63. I believe the Purple People Eater was on the halloween list from last fall. (Not that I haven't repeated many titles.)

6. Blue Moon fits perfectly. That's a kicker of a song. My inquiry is just the opposite - slow dance, please. I believe the group's name is a fairly recent and current style of women's pants.

Go again, please. In honor of Steven Furst and the Deltas being on "Double Secret Probation"; you are getting the Mariam Wormer double entredre cucumber exception - two more attempts plus one. ( Because I said so. :0)
Old 06-18-17, 12:27 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
A team effort from the Monclovas:

2. Theme from The Outer Limits

7. Everyone's Gone to the Moon

8. Telstar
Old 06-18-17, 12:28 PM
All Region

coldshoulder is on a distinguished road
? to Mr. Slippery

You appear to be the only one in this thread with a photo/avatar (Church, or University buildings). Although I think I've seen a few others on different Yappi threads.

How did you make that happen? Seems I've tried once or twice, but always stymied and stonewalled.

Any suggestions...?
Old 06-18-17, 12:46 PM
All American

Monclovas -

2. Yes! Theme from The Outer Limits. Errie song. Had a scary, future thing going on there.

7. Yes!! Another haunting tune; I have mentioned once or twice on here that the singer, Jonathan King , was a weirdo. He did some serious time for molesting children. Everyone's Gone to The Moon.

8. Yes!!! This song sounds like a satelite in orbit to me. Good one!

Mr. Slippery - I think Comey messed up your avatar.

We are waiting for OWK to use the Cucumber Exemption.

And, in addition, I believe we need 9,10 and 14.
Old 06-18-17, 02:25 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Ouch!

6. Blue Moon fits perfectly. That's a kicker of a song. My inquiry is just the opposite - slow dance, please. I believe the group's name is a fairly recent and current style of women's pants.

Go again, please. In honor of Steven Furst and the Deltas being on "Double Secret Probation"; you are getting the Mariam Wormer double entredre cucumber exception - two more attempts plus one. ( Because I said so. :0)
6. This was a doo wop group in '61 - what group did it? Same celestial body as No. 5.
"There's a Moon Out Tonight", The Capris

ROCK ON!

Last edited by One Who Knows; 06-18-17 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-18-17, 03:22 PM
All American

You are correct, Moon Unit Zappa.

With the other one, think Mars.

Sports' records can be so amazing that they become hard to believe: Klay Thompson's 37 point third quarter in Jan. of 2015 over Sacramento when he went 13 for 13 - including 9 for 9 on 3's!

Scott Skiles 30 assist game on Dec. 30, 1990 for Orlando against the Nuggets.

Wilt's 100.

Saw this today in the paper: On this day in 1953 the Red Sox scored 17 runs in the 7th. inning, with 14 hits and went on to beat the Tigers 23-3. Several Sox players batted three times in the inning including Gene Stephens who had three hits, Sammy White , who scored three times and Tom Umphlett who reached base three times.

I wonder how long that half inning lasted?

Last edited by Bevo; 06-18-17 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-18-17, 04:38 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
9. "Total Eclipse of the Heart" - Bonnie Tyler
Old 06-18-17, 05:21 PM
All American

Yes sir; 9. Is Total Eclipse of The Heart. Seems like it was played a lot but I don't recall anything else that she did.

It's wide open - if you can answer, do so. We do still have OWK with No. 4. but I am sure he won't care; he's probably out golfing or goofing anyway.

10. The Dylan song about man taking over the earth on the album Empire Burlesque.

14. This is a gimme. One of the stations runs a marathon over certain holidays of these episodes.

16. Did someone answer this one?

I'll check back in a few and wrap it up. I have a 4:30 wake up so this will be done by 9:30 or so.
Old 06-18-17, 07:40 PM
All Ohio

14. Twilight Zone
Old 06-18-17, 07:42 PM
All Ohio

Bevo,
I believe BlackHawk answered #16. (Post #2902)
Old 06-18-17, 07:56 PM
All American

Correct on both accounts. That leaves the Dylan album cut, which is what I thought would happen.
Old 06-18-17, 08:37 PM
All American

10. It's the Dylan song "License to Kill" from the album, Empire Burlesque. It opens with this stanza:"Man thinks cause he rules the earth he can do with it as he please.
And, if things don't change soon, he will.

Oh man, has invented his doom. First step was touching THE MOON.

Ok; good job as always by all of the players. Have two more quizzes on Rock and Roll Clothes' songs and Heart Break.

Finally No. 4 is The Martian Hop by The Randels. Hard to believe when this silly song was out in '62 that The Beatles were a mere 24 months away from us and were already tearing up England.
Old 06-19-17, 09:42 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldshoulder View Post
? to Mr. Slippery

You appear to be the only one in this thread with a photo/avatar (Church, or University buildings). Although I think I've seen a few others on different Yappi threads.

How did you make that happen? Seems I've tried once or twice, but always stymied and stonewalled.

Any suggestions...?
Years ago, Yappi and one of the basketball forum moderators (HoopHound, he was an old-timer from Youngstown, so he would probably love this thread if he was still active on this site. He used to start the annual Pittsburgh Pirates' Cove thread on the MLB forum. Nobody seems to know what happened to him.) were trying to create an annual database on this site for basketball, similar to Joe Eitel's football website. If you don't know about joeeitel.com, check it out. Joe is so good, he has become the OHSAA's official tracker of computer points during the HS football season.

Anyhow, Yappi and Hoophound's plan was to gather up all the high schools' basketball schedules, have a link where people could enter final scores into a database, and then allow people to access the information in the future. It didn't work out since, even today, there are areas of the state for which this site is lacking users - i.e. people to submit schedules and report scores.

I helped track down a large amount of the schedules for one of the years, and I was also tracking final scores for about 6 different leagues that season, so Yappi rewarded me with my choice of either an avatar or a yappi t-shirt. I chose the avatar which is a picture I found online of my HS building - Canton Central Catholic. Otherwise, I believe you could obtain an avatar by making a donation to the site. I don't know if that is still an option. You'd have to ask Yappi about that. FWIW, there is an option to not see the avatars when you log in, and I found that option made the pages load much quicker, so I generally have no idea who has an avatar. I forgot I had one, and I don't know if I even have the option to get rid of it.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 06-19-17 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-19-17, 12:41 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Since Bevo works so hard on these great quizzes, I thought I'd spell him for a day and throw out something a little different. That'll give him more time to attack those tree stumps.

This is a ditty called "Name The Famous Backing Vocalist(s) NOT Normally Associated With The Singer/Group". Where there are more than one, I've indicated in parentheses. Some you can tell easily by listening, others may not be quite so easy. And many of them you'll probably know from hearing the DJ mention it when playing on the radio.

RULES: I'm not sure how this will go in terms of answerability, so in the interests of not dragging it out, each person gets up to 4 guesses today, and I'll wrap it up tomorrow.

EASY
1. “Emotion” - Samantha Sang - EagleGuy answers with: Barry Gibb
2. “Don’t Forget Me When I’m Gone” – Glass Tiger - EagleGuy answers with: Bryan Adams

AVERAGE
3. “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling” - Righteous Brothers - One Who Knows answers with: Cher (and the Phil Spector gang)
4. “You’re So Vain” – Carly Simon - Monclova Steve answers with: Mick Jagger
5. “ Fame” - David Bowie - EagleGuy answers with: John Lennon
6. “Whatever Gets You Through The Night” – John Lennon - One Who Knows answers with: Elton John
7. “Young Americans” - David Bowie - EagleGuy answers with: Luther Vandross
8. “P.Y.T” – Michael Jackson (2)
9. “Money For Nothing” – Dire Straits - Mr. Slippery answers with: Sting
10. “Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me” – Elton John (3)
11. “All You Need Is Love” - The Beatles (6) - Bevo gets partial credit for Mick Jagger and Keith Richards- four more names left to answer!
12. “Peg” - Steely Dan (we had to have at least one SD song, didn't we?)
13. “Doctor My Eyes” - Jackson Browne - BlackHawk answers with: David Crosby & Graham Nash
14. “Wishing You Were Here” – Chicago (3)
15. “Magnet & Steel” – Walter Egan (2) - coldshoulder answers with: Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham

HARDER
16. “No Fun Aloud” – Glenn Frey
17. “Time Stand Still” – Rush (with_________) - Mister Slippery answers with: Aimee Mann ('Til Tuesday)

EXTRA-CREDIT
18. What is unique about #17?

UNANSWERED: 8, 10, 11 (partially answered), 12, 14, 18.

Last edited by Zunardo; 06-19-17 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-19-17, 01:16 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Zunardo - Good job in "stepping up" and posting a trivia quiz. As per usual, I have to stick to the older songs:

3. “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling” - Righteous Brothers
Phil Spector groups, including Cher
6. “Whatever Gets You Through The Night” – John Lennon
Elton John

ROCK ON!
Old 06-19-17, 01:39 PM
All Region

coldshoulder is on a distinguished road
15. "Magnet and Steel" - Walter Egan, with Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham
Old 06-19-17, 01:40 PM
Varsity

rdlwolverine is on a distinguished road
Just back from overseas, sorry to have missed the activity. Re Bonnie Tyler, she had a hit in 1978 with It's a Heartache and had a couple others around that time if I am not mistaken. But, to me she will always be associated with one of the funniest things on the Internet. Check out this youtube video of the video to Total Eclipse of the Heart, but with the lyrics changed to match what is shown in the video. Sidesplitting.
Old 06-19-17, 01:56 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlwolverine View Post
...... Re Bonnie Tyler, she had a hit in 1978 with It's a Heartache and had a couple others around that time if I am not mistaken. But, to me she will always be associated with one of the funniest things on the Internet. .....

rdlwolverine:
that captures the excess of the early 1980's MTV video producers perfectly! Also known as, "exactly how can we put another shot of someone knocking over glasses of wine on a white tablecloth in slow-motion without looking like every other "artistic" video out there?"

Interestingly, I happened to see that video (with the original lyrics) on one of the late night 80's video shows recently. I don't think I'd ever seen it in its entirety back in the day, and was struck by how out of place it would be today. Give me Thomas Dolby and Kajagoogoo!

coldshoulder scores early on #15 with a famous Fleetwood Mac duo helping out Walter Egan. I believe Egan was romantically associated with Stevie at the time?

One Who Knows also on the board with #3, Cher and the Phil Specter stable assisting the Righteous Brothers, and #6 Elton John backing John Lennon.

If I remember correctly, the flip side of the 45 to "Whatever Gets You Through The Night" was a live version of Lennon singing "I Saw Her Standing There", and you can hear him thanking "Elton and the boys" in that inimitable accent of his at the beginning of the song for helping him on stage.

Last edited by Zunardo; 06-19-17 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-19-17, 02:07 PM
All Yappi

17. “Time Stand Still” – Rush (with_________)
Aimee Mann

I got rid of all my CD inserts, so I had to pop in my Chronicles VHS and watch the credits to find this one. As for what is unique about #17, I don't know.
Old 06-19-17, 02:09 PM
All American

Tough!!!

11. I don't know but a lot of people were in the video. How about the Stones and Donavan for two of the three?

13. Just a hunch - Cheryl Crowe (very young!)
Old 06-19-17, 02:15 PM
All Yappi

9. “Money For Nothing” – Dire Straits
Sting

As previously speculated, my folks still have this album on vinyl along with an assortment of other things (they were big on Jethro Tull and the Moody Blues). Sting is mentioned in the credits on the jacket.
Old 06-19-17, 02:36 PM
All Ohio

4. You're So Vain -- Carly Simon........ably, if only in a minor way, by:

Sir Mick Jagger

Mr. Zunardo,
I salute you, sir, for your excellent quiz as well as your efforts in taking one for the team!
Old 06-19-17, 02:45 PM
All American

Mr. Slippery:
Two for two, correct on 9 and 17.

17. Nice job on the Rush question, because it is not one of their better-known releases. The haunting chorus vocal from Aimee Mann, who is better known for 1985 classic "Voices Carry" with the group 'Til Tuesday. Demerits issued for Geddy's coiffure on the video (a sort of 80's mullet-meets-ponytail), but "Time Stand Still" is a very poignant lyric about wishing to live certain moments longer than we're entitled to.

9. And yes, album liner notes are a wonderful thing, identifying Sting backing Dire Straits. Showing up in the studio for some easy over-dubs on just one number? That ain't working - that's the way you do it!

Bevo:
EDIT: Partial credit so far for #11, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards did indeed contribute. My notes don't identify other Stones members and I haven't seen anything about Donavan participating on this one. but there are four other very well-known artists who did.

Incorrect on 13, but a very interesting possibility if she had hung around folks in the business, since Sheryl Crow would have been 10 years old at the time of the recording of "Doctor My Eyes". My notes say she didn't begin singing professionally until her 20's, and toured with Michael Jackson as a backing vocalist on his "Bad" tour in the 1980's.

Ms. Crow also sang radio jingles, either in college or just after, and said she made $40,000 for just one McDonald's ad. That's what I call a great gig!

Monclova Steve:
You know you're right on #4! Warren Beatty didn't have anything over Mick Jagger in the vanity department.

Last edited by Zunardo; 06-19-17 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-19-17, 03:15 PM
All American

I guess I should have added - when trying to answer, feel free to give a listen by playing the song on your phonograph, MP3 player or Youtube. All's fair on this particular quiz, since it involves the voices themselves.

Like I said, some of the unanswered ones are pretty obvious (if you are familiar with those voices), and some are not.
Old 06-19-17, 05:35 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
13. "Doctor My Eyes" - David Crosby and Graham Nash

From Jackson Browne's first album, titled "Jackson Browne". We always thought his first album was called "Saturate Before Using", because those words were on the album cover...we were wrong. No matter what you called it, it was a solid debut album, but his second album, "For Everyman", was even better, IMO.
Old 06-19-17, 06:04 PM
All American

BlackHawk: you are up for #13. Nice job on catching the backing harmonies of Crosby & Nash.

Not bad - 8 down, 10 to go. I updated the original post with those answered so far.

Boy, I thought someone would be jumping on #1 and #2 by now.

Last edited by Zunardo; 06-19-17 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-19-17, 08:07 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
BlackHawk: you are up for #13. Nice job on catching the backing harmonies of Crosby & Nash.

Not bad - 8 down, 10 to go. I updated the original post with those answered so far.

Boy, I thought someone would be jumping on #1 and #2 by now.
Jump! Jump! Did he jump soon enough?

1] Bee-Gees --- The brothers Gibb wrote this song. Didn't they also perform it (sans Sam)? Or, .....

2] Bryan Adams - Great voice. BT's lead singer/front man also has a good one. I'd (almost) kill for a raspy voice like BA's - or any voice for that matter!

Old 06-19-17, 08:26 PM
All American

EagleGuy picks the low-hanging fruit with two correct answers!

1. Actually, Barry and Robin Gibb were the song-writers, and only Barry Gibb provided the backing vocal, but you get the credit because of that unmistakeable sound and influence. Even Samantha Sang was doing an imitation of Barry while singing the verses, which always confused me. I was sure it was a Bee Gees song when it first came out.

I'm not aware that the Bee Gees released their own version of the single, but I could certainly see them performing it live, just to confuse the fans.

2. Correct on Bryan Adams - again, hearing the Glass Tiger song the first few times back in the day, I was sure it George Michael and Bryan Adams singing as a duet. There are raspy voices, but Bryan's is in its own class.

Here are a few hints on the remaining unanswered questions

5. He's British - answered
7. He's the antithesis of a glam-rock guy - answered
8. Both are female
10. The three are from two different acts
12. Blue-eyed soul
14. They're not from the Windy City - the vocals should give you a clue
16. Famous for something else. Once had a rock-star look, and is known to be an aspiring musician. I have not confirmed this officially, but I remember hearing a DJ say once that he'd also provided backing vocals for the chorus on Joe Walsh's "All Night Long".

EC 18. It's something that struck me the when I heard this song 30 years ago, and something that probably couldn't be said about any other rock-n-roll band who's matched Rush's success over the last 40-some years. I dunno, maybe one or two groups. That would be another extra-credit question!

Last edited by Zunardo; 06-19-17 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-19-17, 08:38 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
5] Fame - David Bowie and co-writer, John Lennon. Is it any won-der? John's part not too hard to remember - the "echoing Fame"!

7] Young Americans - David Bowie and Luther Vandross! The "I heard the news today, oh boy" line was sung by female backup singers. (?) I had no clue on this and resorted to cheating to find LV's name.
Old 06-19-17, 08:57 PM
All American

EagleGuy with a clean sweep of four straight correct answers for today.

5. Yes, Lennon provided those high-note "Fames" at the beginning of each verse or phrase, and also in the final dramatic cascade

7. Tough answer, but Luther did indeed provide a backing vocal on "Young Americans" - in the clue I was going to say something about " all you Afro-Sheeners", but that was too vague. I just figured Vandross was about as different from Bowie as you could get in terms of the looks and musical styles they were both known for.

I was hoping this wouldn't be too obscure, glad it's working out. Five more questions to answer - still need 4/6 of the answer for a sixth question The original quiz is updated with the answers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: