Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-12-17, 12:11 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
How much $$$ to play on 12U travel team?

I've heard some amounts all over the place for 12U and just curious what people on here believe is a realistic price range for 12U baseball?

Here are some qualifiers so everyone is on the same page:

- play 5-6 local tournaments (limited overnight trips).
- play in a local league.
- non-parent coach that gets paid.
- kids are from multiple communities.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-17, 12:36 AM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I've heard some amounts all over the place for 12U and just curious what people on here believe is a realistic price range for 12U baseball?

The paid coach just made it a lot more expensive
Old 06-12-17, 08:05 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
The paid coach just made it a lot more expensive
Some still do it, but they do appear to be less likely to play favorites than daddy-ball coaches. I have heard people grumble that some will be sure to give plenty of playing time to lesser players that pay for extra lessons. Friends/family-ball with a long-time, entrenched paid coach was still pretty bad, by my limited experience. As bad as anything I've heard out there.

There are other hidden costs with paid coaches sometimes. I know of some NEO clubs that always select hotels based upon the coaches getting comp'ed on their rooms. This can definitely make parents pay more for less in terms of hotel quality, but it let's club operators hang on to more of that Raffle/Night at the Races cash. I'm guessing a few high ranking coaches have a bar tab that rivals a room bill, because that wallet never comes out .

Ultimately, a paid coach from 16u up with an established organization is probably going to be worth the extra expense. At lower ages, it's more of a crap shoot. I've seen some bad ones around.

Any way you look at it, a person should be auditioning next year's potential coach at every game in which the coach will be at your kid's age next year. You never know what may happen. Teams blow up, clubs fold, whatever. Some clubs have coaches follow the team, some stay at an age group. Now is the time to be asking questions and looking around, not the last week of July.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 06-12-17 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-12-17, 08:29 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

12u is the "Cooperstown year", so that's a huge variable. I see you've qualified it with "limited overnight trips", but Cooperstown is getting to be obligatory for many.

Many clubs include winter training with paid coaches and rented facilities in their fees, but some only do one time a week. Others are two. One club had open physical training sessions that could add two more nights a week. That can be a few hundred dollars difference. Free tunnel if you call ahead and schedule at some places, if the club controls a building. Lots to consider, and a parent has to reasonably assess their own commitment to make the best choice.
Old 06-12-17, 09:43 AM
All District

bmss17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Loaded question, but here's an accurate(ish) breakdown for you...

6 tournaments ($450 average conservatively)
League Costs: League Fee ($400)
Umpire Costs ($45 x 16 games)
Field Rental (some have them, some don't...8 x $50)
Non-Parent Coach: Stipend ($2,000)
Hotel, Food, etc. ($1,000)
Practice Facility: (Jan-Mar 2x per week = $2,500)
Uniform Cost: $125 PER PLAYER
Misc. Team Items: $100

That comes to roughly $10,000 budget, not including hotels or anything like that, which is never factored in to budgets. Then, divide by the number of players on the team, which is a HUGE FACTOR when looking at per player costs, but for some reason no one ever thinks about it. Then add $150 to that divided number for uniforms, and any other crap (bat bags) that teams get together, and there's your total...
Old 06-12-17, 11:35 PM
Junior Varsity

bsb1817 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmss17 View Post
Loaded question, but here's an accurate(ish) breakdown for you...

6 tournaments ($450 average conservatively)
League Costs: League Fee ($400)
Umpire Costs ($45 x 16 games)
Field Rental (some have them, some don't...8 x $50)
Non-Parent Coach: Stipend ($2,000)
Hotel, Food, etc. ($1,000)
Practice Facility: (Jan-Mar 2x per week = $2,500)
Uniform Cost: $125 PER PLAYER
Misc. Team Items: $100

That comes to roughly $10,000 budget, not including hotels or anything like that, which is never factored in to budgets. Then, divide by the number of players on the team, which is a HUGE FACTOR when looking at per player costs, but for some reason no one ever thinks about it. Then add $150 to that divided number for uniforms, and any other crap (bat bags) that teams get together, and there's your total...

FYI this is very, very bare bones.

Usually 12u teams will play in 1/2 of april, may, june, and half of july, around a 12 week season. Meaning there will be closer to 10 tournaments at least. On top of that, field rental is a lot more than 50 bucks a game, especially for decent fields. Good travel organizations will practice from november thru march, and will spend 5-6 thousand on facility rental PLUS paying coaches to be there and instruct during this time, which brings that offseason expenses up probably closer to 7500. On top of that no paid coach will coach a team for 2000 dollars that is playing in 8-10 tournaments and 16 league games (around 50+ games) for 2000 total dollars...not even close. If team goes out of town 3 of the 8-10 tournaments, you are looking at probably 9 nights of hotels, plus gas and food for the coach the entire time, throw another 1500 on top of that. Plus, not sure what type of uniforms you are buying, but 125 for 2 tops, 2 hats, 2 pants, and bat bag is really thin...closer to 250 a player...

You are looking at close to double the costs listed above, and that is being conservative. Many 12-14u teams can cost MORE than 15 and 16u simply due to the fact that the season is 5 weeks longer, and training occurs for an additional 2 months in the offseason. Tournaments at 13u and 14u only cost 10-20% less, so it doesn't offset the additional costs enough to say it will warrant a lower player fee.
Old 06-13-17, 08:51 AM
Varsity

Baseball4Life! is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Depending on the organization, and if you have sponsors, you could be looking at $800-$2,000.

When I coached 14-18U we had 3 sponsors that paid for the majority of our expenses. No off-season workouts. We charged $300.
Old 06-13-17, 09:22 AM
All Region

Bugsy8875 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Just to share where I am coming from. I wouldn't spend more than $800.

When I had my teams, we did it when the boys went from 13u-18u.

- All volunteer coaches
-Picked the team based on talent, but the type of parent also played a role. We wanted everyone on the same page and enjoy the Summer together.
- Had two pairs of pants, three tops and two hats
- Use a local HS gym with nice facilities to work out in and also their turf football field when the weather broke to get outside in the early Spring before the boys got into HS.
- Played in area leagues and in 4 tournaments a year and made one of them a weekend get away with the families. We would get in 30 -35 games depending on weather and if the boys were in HS

Obviously travel expenses didn't get entered into our cost, but we had 6 great Summers with the boys and families for a price that ranged from $400 -$600. Throughout those 7 years, there were 8 families that were there every year. Great memories that still come up today in conversations. Of all the boys we had play for us, 10 ended up playing college baseball. OF those 10, 6 got some sort of money.

I would do it the same way if I had to do it all over again. Didn't sell kids the pipe dream of College Scholarships. Enjoying the kids, families and the great game of baseball is a great way to spend the Summer if done correctly.

ps. We also made an agreement to end our at least by the weekend after July 4th. We all needed a break and I loved the fact we had multi-sport athletes ,so giving them some time off before Fall Sports kicked in full time was important.
Old 06-13-17, 03:12 PM
All American

trey2k is on a distinguished road
If you pay over $2,000 for your kid to play baseball for one season, there might be something wrong with you.
Old 06-13-17, 06:49 PM
Freshman

WalshBacker is on a distinguished road
I coached travel for 10 years- 10-14U baseball. All very competitive teams.

We had 10-11 kids on each team, everyone played every game.

2 travel leagues, 6-7 tournaments. Finished with 55-65 games.

$600 per player

Volunteer coaches, high school gym, small extra fee if we chose additional indoor workouts. We used the local baseball fields at no cost.

Many players paid for individual lessons by the half hour. In my experience, this is the only instruction that significantly improves players. Group instruction, waiting in lines with 15 kids and performing repetitive drills just reinforces bad habits.

About half of the team played varsity high school baseball.

Anyone trying to sell a player on year round training, paid coaches, and facility rentals, is just trying to profit from youth sports. We had a few players leave to play on "club teams", they almost universally had bad experiences.
Old 06-13-17, 11:10 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
For 12u I'd expect to pay $700-1000. But I personally wouldn't look to pay over $700.
Old 06-14-17, 01:47 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalshBacker View Post
I coached travel for 10 years- 10-14U baseball. All very competitive teams.

We had 10-11 kids on each team, everyone played every game.

2 travel leagues, 6-7 tournaments. Finished with 55-65 games.

$600 per player

Volunteer coaches, high school gym, small extra fee if we chose additional indoor workouts. We used the local baseball fields at no cost.

Many players paid for individual lessons by the half hour. In my experience, this is the only instruction that significantly improves players. Group instruction, waiting in lines with 15 kids and performing repetitive drills just reinforces bad habits.

About half of the team played varsity high school baseball.

Anyone trying to sell a player on year round training, paid coaches, and facility rentals, is just trying to profit from youth sports. We had a few players leave to play on "club teams", they almost universally had bad experiences.
I concur. A few local people decided to sign their kids up to that bo Jackson thing in Columbus so they drive the 2 hour round trip each week. Other than the nice facility my step son says he gets better sessions when he and I head to the park. Even playing so many games Isnt adding up for these kids. I don't see the hs product any better now with all these kids who have been through the years of so called elite travel teams. They play more but practice less. In a 12 yr old game a kid will get up maybe 4 times, get maybe 6 pitches to hit and a few balls hit to him. A kid is better off playing less games and upping their practice time. I rmemeber our hs summer coach....when we would be playing very day he would have us come in early or stay after games for a practice because he always preached fundamentals erode when all you do is play games with little practice, wise, wise man who was one of Ohio's best hs coaches. Intjink parents are just enamored to brag about their son being on a special travel team more than the kid actually getting better.
Old 06-14-17, 05:10 AM
All Ohio

boomer24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy8875 View Post
Just to share where I am coming from. I wouldn't spend more than $800.

When I had my teams, we did it when the boys went from 13u-18u.

- All volunteer coaches
-Picked the team based on talent, but the type of parent also played a role. We wanted everyone on the same page and enjoy the Summer together.
- Had two pairs of pants, three tops and two hats
- Use a local HS gym with nice facilities to work out in and also their turf football field when the weather broke to get outside in the early Spring before the boys got into HS.
- Played in area leagues and in 4 tournaments a year and made one of them a weekend get away with the families. We would get in 30 -35 games depending on weather and if the boys were in HS

Obviously travel expenses didn't get entered into our cost, but we had 6 great Summers with the boys and families for a price that ranged from $400 -$600. Throughout those 7 years, there were 8 families that were there every year. Great memories that still come up today in conversations. Of all the boys we had play for us, 10 ended up playing college baseball. OF those 10, 6 got some sort of money.

I would do it the same way if I had to do it all over again. Didn't sell kids the pipe dream of College Scholarships. Enjoying the kids, families and the great game of baseball is a great way to spend the Summer if done correctly.

ps. We also made an agreement to end our at least by the weekend after July 4th. We all needed a break and I loved the fact we had multi-sport athletes ,so giving them some time off before Fall Sports kicked in full time was important.
All good stuff!! I agree on ending right after July 4th...it's nice to have a little break prior to football getting cranked up.

Enjoy the experience of summer ball...it goes by fast.
Old 06-14-17, 05:34 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalshBacker View Post
I ..... Anyone trying to sell a player on year round training, paid coaches, and facility rentals, is just trying to profit from youth sports. We had a few players leave to play on "club teams", they almost universally had bad experiences.
Very true. Being from NE Ohio, there are programs here that do take advantage of youth sports and profits from them. While each age group does have some of the best players in the area, they have also too many teams per age group (Instead of just one) that have kids/families that should just be saving their money playing local rec ball.
Old 06-15-17, 07:56 AM
All District

bmss17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsb1817 View Post
FYI this is very, very bare bones.

Usually 12u teams will play in 1/2 of april, may, june, and half of july, around a 12 week season. Meaning there will be closer to 10 tournaments at least. On top of that, field rental is a lot more than 50 bucks a game, especially for decent fields. Good travel organizations will practice from november thru march, and will spend 5-6 thousand on facility rental PLUS paying coaches to be there and instruct during this time, which brings that offseason expenses up probably closer to 7500. On top of that no paid coach will coach a team for 2000 dollars that is playing in 8-10 tournaments and 16 league games (around 50+ games) for 2000 total dollars...not even close. If team goes out of town 3 of the 8-10 tournaments, you are looking at probably 9 nights of hotels, plus gas and food for the coach the entire time, throw another 1500 on top of that. Plus, not sure what type of uniforms you are buying, but 125 for 2 tops, 2 hats, 2 pants, and bat bag is really thin...closer to 250 a player...

You are looking at close to double the costs listed above, and that is being conservative. Many 12-14u teams can cost MORE than 15 and 16u simply due to the fact that the season is 5 weeks longer, and training occurs for an additional 2 months in the offseason. Tournaments at 13u and 14u only cost 10-20% less, so it doesn't offset the additional costs enough to say it will warrant a lower player fee.
Just going off of what I have used in the past, and have been charged in terms of tournaments and fields (again, such variable costs depending on the team)...don't see a ton of teams play in a league AND 10 tournaments in a 12 week span; some of your higher end teams yes, but six is a lot closer to what most actually play. Having run an organization at coached at the 12U level twice with bringing teams to Cooperstown both times, I can say that you try and cut down on some costs for 12U.

However, if you're playing for an organization that doesn't really care about personal finances, then you can get closer to what you're saying. But yea, most of your "high level" organizations at the older levels do not put out competitive baseball teams, but rather teams to subsidize their older teams. You will find there are exceptions that the rule (e.g. Ohio Elite), but by and large that's the harsh reality. And that will continue to be the case until these parents recognize their kids would be better off playing in a stronger rec league (which is a whole separate issue, but part of me wants to go back to the "Little League" model which has seemed to work for areas like Tallmadge and Hamilton back in the day), which you would have if you didn't have such a diluted sample.
Old 06-15-17, 08:00 AM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Honestly, what's the difference between a family deciding to spend their own money and enrolling their son into a "year around" baseball organization, than a parent of a kid who has musical interests, or a daughter who has ballet/dance skills, etc being placed in music and or dance organizations? It all depends where you as a parent decide you want to spend your time and money on behalf of your child's recreational interests. I have had a young daughter in dance, and let me tell you, the costs, travel, costumes, etc make travel baseball expenses look pretty reasonable. Ask any high school band parent what it costs to maintain their child in band from elementary thru high school. Yet, these two types of programs run year around also. Did I think my daughter was going to dance on Broadway someday? Heck no, but it was something she really enjoyed, and benefited from. It's all up to you as a parent to decide how to spend your money. And don't even get me started on soccer commitments, lol.
Old 06-16-17, 12:31 AM
Varsity

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
I agree with hitnrun 100%
Old 06-16-17, 05:25 AM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
$1000-$1200 is a fair price. Part of it depends on the level of competition that you are seeking. I'm sure there are 12U teams out there much cheaper that play in cheaper, less competitive tournaments.
Old 06-16-17, 10:45 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad View Post
$1000-$1200 is a fair price. Part of it depends on the level of competition that you are seeking. I'm sure there are 12U teams out there much cheaper that play in cheaper, less competitive tournaments.
To each their own, but from my earlier post, our teams played in some of the same leagues and competed in most of the tournaments with teams that charged two to three times as much as we did.

We had a couple of kids tryout for us and turn us down because they wanted to go play for the more "Established" programs. Then when Spring/Summer rolled around, their parents were surprised to see us in their league and almost every weekend in the same tournaments. These kids paid over $1,500 compared to our $450 at the time playing pretty much the same competition.

When looking for a team, make sure they have your kids best interest at heart. There are programs out there that take advantage of families with false hopes and use those lesser players (Teams) to subsidize their really great teams.

When a program has more than one team per age group, I start to get suspicious. Some can put out two good ones, but it's rare. I have seen them in person. If you are around Summer Baseball, we can all name the programs that do this. The top players can benefit, but after that, it's a money grab.
Old 06-16-17, 12:02 PM
All Region

To add to my last post. Beware of programs that list college commitments. While there are some that have a few D1 and D2 programs, a lot of them listed are D3, small NAIA and Community Colleges. You can only "Commit" to a school that is actually able to give you athletic money. I have mentioned this before, but I have been quietly polite when parents tell me their kid committed to play at (Insert D3 School) or I hear a kid say to me or those around me that they got a baseball scholarship to go to (Insert D3 School).

Ok... off my soap box.
Old 06-16-17, 01:06 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
To add to my last post. Beware of programs that list college commitments. While there are some that have a few D1 and D2 programs, a lot of them listed are D3, small NAIA and Community Colleges. You can only "Commit" to a school that is actually able to give you athletic money. I have mentioned this before, but I have been quietly polite when parents tell me their kid committed to play at (Insert D3 School) or I hear a kid say to me or those around me that they got a baseball scholarship to go to (Insert D3 School).

Ok... off my soap box.
Good grief what do you want them to say? I had to pay to go to college and play baseball since I am not good enough to get a scholarship? Give em a break. I would kick the soap box out from under you if I had a chance.

They might not even know the difference between grants and scholarships, so that might think that 2k they got counts as a scholarship.
Old 06-16-17, 02:02 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
Good grief what do you want them to say? I had to pay to go to college and play baseball since I am not good enough to get a scholarship? Give em a break. I would kick the soap box out from under you if I had a chance.

They might not even know the difference between grants and scholarships, so that might think that 2k they got counts as a scholarship.
Just be honest and say I'm going to school at (College) to study (whatever) and play baseball. Don't lie and say you got a baseball scholarship.
Old 06-16-17, 05:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Just be honest and say I'm going to school at (College) to study (whatever) and play baseball. Don't lie and say you got a baseball scholarship.
11.7 is a small number

http://diycollegerankings.com/11-7-reality-check/475/

Study hard. There is quite a lot of financial help available to academic high-achievers.

And you are right. "Commits" doesn't mean everyday players. A successful and also refreshingly honest DIII Head Coach, who rosters I think a total of 50-some players all told, said, "Yeah, you're right. 5_ is a big number. Some guys develop better than others, and I'd rather have a kid on the bench in my dugout than beating me from the other dugout, anyway!"

My wife hated him
Old 06-16-17, 06:35 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
11.7 is a small number

http://diycollegerankings.com/11-7-reality-check/475/

Study hard. There is quite a lot of financial help available to academic high-achievers.

And you are right. "Commits" doesn't mean everyday players. A successful and also refreshingly honest DIII Head Coach, who rosters I think a total of 50-some players all told, said, "Yeah, you're right. 5_ is a big number. Some guys develop better than others, and I'd rather have a kid on the bench in my dugout than beating me from the other dugout, anyway!"

My wife hated him
For D2 there are 9 available.

Now these colleges don't have to give that many, that's just the max they are allowed to give. When you look at those D1 and D2 Baseball rosters, it's extremely rare for any of those kids getting a total free ride. They are paying for probably more than 50% of the tuition unless they get great grades.

I always preach that there is more money given away academically than athletically.
Old 06-18-17, 04:21 PM
Freshman

sportsfan2233 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I help coach a 12u. It costs $1100 per player. That includes uniforms, indoor facility for year, league fees, tournaments, umps, etc

Our team has been together for 3 years so we have the same helmets, bags, and other things.

This year we are going to Cooperstown. We've fundraiser for over a year and got the cost down to under $400 a player.

We have volunteer coaches.

So everyone paid about $1500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-17, 05:54 AM
All American

mustang fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
Honestly, what's the difference between a family deciding to spend their own money and enrolling their son into a "year around" baseball organization, than a parent of a kid who has musical interests, or a daughter who has ballet/dance skills, etc being placed in music and or dance organizations? It all depends where you as a parent decide you want to spend your time and money on behalf of your child's recreational interests. I have had a young daughter in dance, and let me tell you, the costs, travel, costumes, etc make travel baseball expenses look pretty reasonable. Ask any high school band parent what it costs to maintain their child in band from elementary thru high school. Yet, these two types of programs run year around also. Did I think my daughter was going to dance on Broadway someday? Heck no, but it was something she really enjoyed, and benefited from. It's all up to you as a parent to decide how to spend your money. And don't even get me started on soccer commitments, lol.
This puts it all into perspective for me.

I never coached travel baseball, however, I did coach and ran a travel basketball team for several years during what I refer to as the spring season (after the high school season ends and before the HS summer program got started)...Some call it the AAU season. Kept pretty much the same bunch of kids over the several seasons...Participated in about 6-8 local tournaments in the North East Ohio area (no SMAC tourneys) annually. Nothing that involved overnight travel. Good kids...Local kids...Eventually became high performers on their respective high school teams...Kids that wanted to compete and play hoops year round...Competitive enough for this setup...No national tourneys...Got donated gym time for practices that really help keep our costs in line. A couple of the kids went on to have solid years at D3 colleges. The rest could be very proud of their high school careers and have moved on in life.

Aside from whatever personal satisfaction received, I never received a bit of financial compensation. Actually, parents received small refunds of unused funds at the end of the season and associated bank/checking account was closed.

My son did a few years of travel soccer before all of this...Had a daughter in HS band/flags that went to the Orange Bowl and Rose Bowl parades in consecutive years.

Bottom line as Hitnrun indicates...It's what you want to spend your money on for your kids...Be it travel sports, band, music, or whatever. I suggest being realistic about it all (it is not always about D1 scholarships...Or any athletic scholarship...Frankly, it seldom is) and do your due diligence associated with the activity...And finally, understand that it is going to cost...Hopefully, at the end of the day, taking everything into consideration, it was all worth it.

Last edited by mustang fan; 06-19-17 at 06:20 AM.