Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-08-18, 12:40 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
He had a good season in '16, I've never considered him a top 10-15 guy. I think you have to pitch more than half a season to be considered in that area.
Over his career, he has a W/L of 125-85; ERA 3.33; WHIP 1.190 (that's if you even know what that is, of course); WAR 32.1.
I could go on providing facts, but I would rather not keep humiliating you in front of your peers. All you have to do is admit that you're wrong about him.

Of course, if you have anything to back up your "argument" besides what you've "considered" -- in other words, nothing but flapping gums -- feel free to supply any evidence that 15 starters have been better than JC during his career.

Remember, you've said that you have NEVER considered him to be a top 10-15 guy.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-18, 02:01 PM
All American

When are the Reds going to scratch Robert Stephenson off the list of prospects? He keeps getting opportunity after opportunity. The result? Always the same. He just can't keep from walking people.
Old 08-08-18, 02:45 PM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
When are the Reds going to scratch Robert Stephenson off the list of prospects? He keeps getting opportunity after opportunity. The result? Always the same. He just can't keep from walking people.
I think at this point of the season, and with how Robert pitched in Lville this season, you have to give him 8-10 starts here in next 6 weeks. I'd call him a long shot, but he was a former #1 pick in 2011. Secondly, who else we going to run out there? Mahle's likely done for the season in Cincy. Homer, Castillo, Romano, Harvey and Disco are also pitching. Harvey likely to be gone any day now.

And you are correct...he keeps walking people and he'll be out of baseball in a few years.
Old 08-08-18, 02:59 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
I agree with keeping him up and seeing what he does the rest of the year. I'm not going to get too worked up at one start. Sure, he needs to figure out the whole walks thing out but that's something that should be able to be fixed. It kinda looked like he was trying to pinpoint his location. See how it plays out.
Old 08-08-18, 03:39 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Maybe Stevenson will make a good reliever for an inning or two, possibly three. That is, if he doesn't make it as a starter.
Old 08-08-18, 03:56 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
I agree with keeping him up and seeing what he does the rest of the year. I'm not going to get too worked up at one start. Sure, he needs to figure out the whole walks thing out but that's something that should be able to be fixed. It kinda looked like he was trying to pinpoint his location. See how it plays out.
I get it, but we're not talking about one start.
Over his Reds' "career" of 125 innings (spread out over the 2016/17/18 seasons) he has walked 83 batters.
Even this season at AAA, he has walked 57 in 113 innings. His minor league career -- beginning in 2012 -- has been pretty much the same.
I don't think this qualifies as giving up on someone right off the bat. At some point you have to make a judgement about someone. He looks like trade bait to me. Maybe a change of scenery would help him.
Old 08-08-18, 07:32 PM
All American

I realize the stats but today he was over 1 walk per inning which would be way above his average. Obviously the scouting report's going to be to sit on him try to work a walk or at least get his pitch count up. He was just short of 80 pitches today in four innings. Not going to get it done in MLB. I'm fine with trading him but I'm not sure what his value is. I let him try to get through the rest of the season and see how things go. If they don't improve have a discussion with him about going to the bullpen. Think it'd be easier to make the switch in the offseason as compared to in the middle of one.
Old 08-08-18, 07:48 PM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Over his career, he has a W/L of 125-85; ERA 3.33; WHIP 1.190 (that's if you even know what that is, of course); WAR 32.1.
I could go on providing facts, but I would rather not keep humiliating you in front of your peers. All you have to do is admit that you're wrong about him.

Of course, if you have anything to back up your "argument" besides what you've "considered" -- in other words, nothing but flapping gums -- feel free to supply any evidence that 15 starters have been better than JC during his career.

Remember, you've said that you have NEVER considered him to be a top 10-15 guy.
Thats because he considered him top 5
Old 08-08-18, 09:44 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
I think itís hilarious 14red is crapping all over the best pitcher the reds organization has had in the last 25 years, maybe more, just because he wants to defend a sh*tty deal for Homer Bailey.
Old 08-08-18, 10:29 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I think itís hilarious 14red is crapping all over the best pitcher the reds organization has had in the last 25 years, maybe more, just because he wants to defend a sh*tty deal for Homer Bailey.
Wow EP, you all took me words right from my mouth!
Old 08-09-18, 10:46 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
He had a good season in '16, I've never considered him a top 10-15 guy. I think you have to pitch more than half a season to be considered in that area.
Right. But you also said Verlander was not a #1. So your opinion is pretty much not useful. Most knowledgeable baseball people would have Cueto, pre-injury, as a top 10-15 pitcher.
Old 08-09-18, 10:52 AM
All Ohio

Sounds like we all agree on Stephenson. Start him regularly the rest of the year, and then it's time to fish or cut bait. As Steve said, even with the good results in AAA this year, the walks remain an issue. And you can't have a bullpen guy with BB tendencies. So it is make or break time for him.
Old 08-09-18, 02:58 PM
All American

If I was sounding like "Cut Him Now!", no, I agree with letting him pitch for the rest of the season.
Right now, he looks like his future is limited here; but if he works things out maybe he raises his value for a trade or even into competing for a spot in the spring.
He's fortunate that he's with the Reds, who have nothing to lose by keeping him through September. I'm not very hopeful, but you never know.
Old 08-09-18, 03:29 PM
All World

troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
You Never know!! That is what Joaquin Andujar always said!!
Old 08-09-18, 04:52 PM
All American

What are your suggestions for if he get's beat up the rest of the year? You keep saying cut ties but he cost them little to nothing through at least next year when he'd hit arbitration and even then I'm not sure he'd get much of a payday. Even if they put him back in AAA it's not really hurting anything and maybe they can add him on in a trade. I'd rather keep him in the organization than release him, have the Cardinals pick him up and him win 15+ games and block the Reds from the playoffs.
Old 08-09-18, 06:31 PM
All American

After this season, he's out of options. He has been with the organization since 2011, so expecting a sudden explosion of potential like winning 15+ games seems pretty unrealistic to me. I hope I'm wrong about that.

I tend to think the Reds' thinking is similar to mine and wolves82. If he doesn't show much for the rest of the year, I doubt that he'll be taking up a spot in the Reds' organization next year.
Old 08-09-18, 06:43 PM
All American

He can accept a minor league assignment though and I'm not really sure where he could go without starting in the minors. He doesn't really have the chips in his stack per se
Old 08-10-18, 08:13 PM
All American

Billy Hamilton just executed a suicide squeeze that shocked everyone so much the the Diamondbacks threw the ball away and they scored two runs off of it. He would've been safe without the throw. Why Why Why don't we ever try this when he leads off?
Old 08-11-18, 09:22 PM
All American

Good outing by Harvey. 7 full with 2ER. Won't get the win but the Reds showed a lot of fight again in the 8th. We down 1 and scored 4 for the win. I have no clue why the Reds struggle with bottom feeder teams but have been really successful vs 1-2nd place teams.
Old 08-11-18, 10:31 PM
All World

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Good outing by Harvey. 7 full with 2ER. Won't get the win but the Reds showed a lot of fight again in the 8th. We down 1 and scored 4 for the win. I have no clue why the Reds struggle with bottom feeder teams but have been really successful vs 1-2nd place teams.
Inconsistent starting pitching.
Old 08-12-18, 02:02 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Inconsistent starting pitching.
Are you trying to tell me that a team with the 4th highest ERA in baseball loses games because of pitching? Get out of here
Old 08-12-18, 07:41 AM
All World

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Are you trying to tell me that a team with the 4th highest ERA in baseball loses games because of pitching? Get out of here
Yes.
Old 08-12-18, 11:47 AM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Definitely a fun game to watch. Another one today, I hope.
Old 08-12-18, 11:53 AM
All American

Billy Hamilton has had a good couple of games. I saw an interview with him after he put down that wonderful suicide squeeze bunt. As we recall, he squared somewhat early (Perhaps too early for a suicide squeeze, but that's another topic) but still would have beat the throw to first because of the excellent bunt.
He said in the interview that he now realizes that he can square sooner and still get a base hit, due to his speed. I have 2 reactions to this:
1) That's tremendous news. Maybe now -- after all these years -- he can use the bunt as a major weapon in his arsenal.
2) Why in the f*** has it taken him this long to realize this? Does he not work on things every day like a professional baseball player should? He has been in pro baseball since 2009!
Overall, I'm anxious to see what happens from here. Will he put this into practice and become an offensive asset? Or, will we see the same ole Billy.
Old 08-13-18, 09:18 AM
All World

Quote:
Billy Hamilton has had a good couple of games. I saw an interview with him after he put down that wonderful suicide squeeze bunt. As we recall, he squared somewhat early (Perhaps too early for a suicide squeeze, but that's another topic) but still would have beat the throw to first because of the excellent bunt.
He said in the interview that he now realizes that he can square sooner and still get a base hit, due to his speed. I have 2 reactions to this:
1) That's tremendous news. Maybe now -- after all these years -- he can use the bunt as a major weapon in his arsenal.
2) Why in the f*** has it taken him this long to realize this? Does he not work on things every day like a professional baseball player should? He has been in pro baseball since 2009!
Overall, I'm anxious to see what happens from here. Will he put this into practice and become an offensive asset? Or, will we see the same ole Billy.
While I do feel your overall frustration with Billy and his lack of bunting during his career, there is a distinct difference on him bunting in the situation he did Saturday night vs. normal situations.
When he bats with no one on base, the 3rd and 1st basemen both play inside the grass cutout, that coupled with the pitcher being about 50 ft. away makes it incredibly difficult to bunt for a hit. If anything, bringing those players in should help him be able to slap a hard ground ball by them.

We all wish he was as good at bunting as say, Bret Butler was, but it's just not that way.
Old 08-13-18, 09:20 AM
All World

A couple of good starts over the weekend by DeSclafani and Harvey. It's certainly no secret what this team needs. You get mediocre to good starting pitching, and we're contenders, plain as that. We just got off to such a bad start the first month to 6 weeks and buried ourselves.
Old 08-13-18, 10:53 AM
All Ohio

heard a stat this weekend. When they hold opponents to 4 runs or less, they have the best winning percentage in the MLB.

So the rumor that their pitching is the problem is true apparently. only Indiandad seemed to know this.
Old 08-13-18, 02:31 PM
All American

Almost EVERY team in the majors scores at least 4 runs per game on average -- so wouldn't your stat be true for almost EVERY team?
Old 08-13-18, 03:43 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post

So the rumor that their pitching is the problem is true apparently. only Indiandad seemed to know this.
So you didn't know before this that the Reds' pitching is the problem? I thought it was pretty obvious to everyone.

I think you're trying to throw some jabs at people on here, but I'm not sure it's working too well.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.
Old 08-13-18, 05:25 PM
All World

Quote:
Almost EVERY team in the majors scores at least 4 runs per game on average -- so wouldn't your stat be true for almost EVERY team?
The Reds do it better than the rest...yes, we can twist numbers around, but IF, and I said IF, the Reds get decent starting pitching, they generally win.

Just heard a stat that the Indians have like 68 quality starts this season, the Reds 37... Shouldn't the Indians have a record like the Red Sox??? Their lack of offense and bullpen has killed them.

I've said if the Reds had Kluber and Bauer, we'd be in first place, hands down.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: