Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-03-18, 09:16 PM
All District

Johnson&Johnson is on a distinguished road
Dover & New Philly

Looking at the Ohio Cardinal Conference? The latest has that conference revisiting adding these two schools.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-18, 09:29 PM
Moderated User

sam the butcher is on a distinguished road
Why the reconsideration?
Old 01-03-18, 09:42 PM
All District

Johnson&Johnson is on a distinguished road
Thought this was on the table two years ago. Could have been last year. Conversations may have never died.
Old 01-04-18, 09:32 PM
All Region

teach1coach2 is on a distinguished road
ECOL current 8 teams

I am pretty sure most if not all of the 8 teams in the ECOL are currently seeking admission to other leagues and it sounds like (rumor mill) some of the smaller schools in the league might get it done soon.
Old 01-05-18, 08:52 AM
All Ohio

doverbuck is on a distinguished road
The ECOL scarlet division will be Dover,phila,Zville and Marietta next season. Cambridge is going to the gray division so just 3 wins in the scarlet gets you a title,Zanesville has been trying to leave but has not been able to yet, just a matter of time until the scarlet is defunct.
Old 01-05-18, 09:18 AM
All District

BobcatQB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1coach2 View Post
I am pretty sure most if not all of the 8 teams in the ECOL are currently seeking admission to other leagues and it sounds like (rumor mill) some of the smaller schools in the league might get it done soon.
Gray will be:

Cambridge, Meadowbrook, River View, Coshocton..so where are they going according to the rumor mill? MVL was pretty clear they didn't want them and they don't want to go to PVC..what else is there? IVC?
Old 01-05-18, 09:39 AM
Junior Varsity

arnie palmer is on a distinguished road
I was at an OCC baketball game over the holiday break and talked with the AD. This seems to have legs again and he said that the OCC ADs were going to have a meeting next week to discuss. OCC planning EAST and WEST divisions. New Philly, Dover, West Holmes, Wooster, and one other possible school (he would not say) would be in the EAST division.
Also heard over the break that it is a done deal that Cambridge is going to MVL.

Zanesville is exploring other leagues as well.
Old 01-05-18, 10:08 AM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnie palmer View Post
I was at an OCC baketball game over the holiday break and talked with the AD. This seems to have legs again and he said that the OCC ADs were going to have a meeting next week to discuss. OCC planning EAST and WEST divisions. New Philly, Dover, West Holmes, Wooster, and one other possible school (he would not say) would be in the EAST division.
Also heard over the break that it is a done deal that Cambridge is going to MVL.

Zanesville is exploring other leagues as well.
That East Division sounds pretty solid and wouldn't be too bad on travel distances. When you are a decent sized school and not in a large metro area you will have to travel some to play against equal competition. Doubt many will miss trips down to Marietta.

Depending on who the additional member would be, it's about an hour each way from Wooster or Millersburg to New Philly, which I believe would be the widest distance between two schools? Each school would have a pretty close neighbor to cut down on some of the travel.
Old 01-05-18, 12:30 PM
All Region

Mr. General is on a distinguished road
Louisville. Errr, not.
Old 01-05-18, 12:40 PM
All American

hitme is on a distinguished road
Why not?
Old 01-05-18, 02:57 PM
All Ohio

doverbuck is on a distinguished road
Given the proximity I would think Ashland would fit nicely in the East,I hope it's true.
Old 01-06-18, 10:20 AM
All District

Malabar10 is on a distinguished road
East: Woo, WH, Ashland, NP and Dover
West: Madison, Senior, Lex, Mt Vernon and Big Walnut
Need 1 more in each side for better scheduling
East: Louisville ?
West: Delaware, Marion Harding, Shelby ?
Old 01-06-18, 11:09 AM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Can I ask is Louisville a legit target for this OCC expansion or just being thrown in for the sake of conversation?

at first glance, one would be compelled to be concerned with travel. However, if there were no crossovers and that allowed schools some flexibility to schedule some more local rivals that a school can't get into leagues with then I can see why this would be a legit conversation for the powers that be in Louisville

Wooster NP Dover Ashland WH Louisville could be viable.
Old 01-06-18, 11:51 AM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
Would like to see Louisville in with Dover, New Philly and Wooster. The deal-breaker, though, might be trips to the Mansfield area... but realistically, Dover and New Philly are even a bit farther away from Mansfield Senior. Louisville to Mansfield is at least, pretty much a straight shot across US-30.
Old 01-06-18, 01:16 PM
All American

hitme is on a distinguished road
Hopefully the Louisville AD is taking part in this discussion. Pretty solid, competitive league.
Old 01-06-18, 02:27 PM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitme View Post
Hopefully the Louisville AD is taking part in this discussion. Pretty solid, competitive league.
And a decent opportunity... No great ones out there for Louisville. Long-term independent status is a scheduling nightmare, and the FL would run most of the programs into the ground.
Old 01-06-18, 03:36 PM
All Ohio

ohio9704 is on a distinguished road
Why would Ashland agree to go to the east when they have a 10 minute trip to Madison and a 15 minute trip to Senior High?
Old 01-06-18, 03:56 PM
All American

Not sure what the OCC has in mind out there - hope no schools get left out that are in their obvious footprint.

The thing with Dover and New Phila is they are nice places. I have been to both schools and have shopped in stores in both towns. Been to games at both - nice stadiums and competitive teams. They both do seem to be in an odd spot with leagues.

I have posted before on a different thread and will say again, my hope was for both schools to get with the Federal League and go two tier, having NP Dov CCC Louisville Lake and next smallest in league to be the one tier. Obviously invitational type sports could group as a whole. Skip crossovers in football to allow more freedom with the football schedule since it is a qualifying tournament, have everyone just play one round in basketball again allowing more freedom with schedule. (That leaves MCK Mass GO Jax Perry and NC/Green whoever is bigger) .

What is crazy is how much these schools already compete in different sports as non league fillers and also in different sport tournaments. All mentioned have solid fan bases and all have access to each other using 77.

Doubt the IVC comes calling from the east, they, dov philly, have been mostly affiliated recently to the south, now the odd couple looks to the OCC to the west, and I have dreams of them going north. Not sure there are any other realistic possibilities.

Last edited by Football 101; 01-06-18 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-09-18, 08:07 AM
Junior Varsity

Quakerbacker is on a distinguished road
New Phila and dover were apart of the original Cardinal Conference from 1960-61 to 1987. Original conference members were
New Phila
dover
Ashland
Wooster
Coshocton
Mansfield Malabar
Mansfield Madison

So going west was something a lot of fans were used to for many years. This was before Route 30 was a 4 lane I believe so there were no great roads to take. All I know is the ECOL is fading fast and we need to find something that is legitimate.
Old 01-09-18, 09:12 AM
Junior Varsity

arnie palmer is on a distinguished road
Also heard another rumor that River View and Coshocton now want into the IVC to be with Ridgewood, Newcomerstown, Indian Valley, & Claymont.

Any truth to this? If so, ECOL is really on its way out soon.
Old 01-09-18, 11:47 AM
All American

knowing the IVC the way I do.......neither would be getting in anytime soon

I could be wrong but I put my money on them hearing no thank you.

If someone knows or hears differently I would love to hear.
Old 01-09-18, 02:05 PM
All District

Geographically it makes sense but does IVC really want that many teams? They have too many now.
Old 01-09-18, 03:26 PM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
IVC won't let Coshocton in, no way.

The OG Cardinal Conference was awesome back in the day. But I've heard from board members that this had legs the last few years, but the more Western/Northern OCC folks were against it.

Hate leagues with divisions, but it's better than going independent which is what will pretty much happen when Zanesville finds a home.
Old 01-10-18, 09:39 AM
Freshman

cal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malabar10 View Post
East: Woo, WH, Ashland, NP and Dover
West: Madison, Senior, Lex, Mt Vernon and Big Walnut
Need 1 more in each side for better scheduling
East: Louisville ?
West: Delaware, Marion Harding, Shelby ?
Delaware Hayes will not leave the OCC and I doubt Big Walnut would.
Old 01-10-18, 02:13 PM
All District

Malabar10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
Delaware Hayes will not leave the OCC and I doubt Big Walnut would.
They both need to from a competition standpoint. They have a big win here and there but when was the last time either of them won a football/basketball league title. The OCC schools aren't getting any smaller. Why not compete with schools their own size? In reality, I would like to see Ashland, Madison, Senior, Lexington, Mt Vernon, Big Walnut, Hayes, and Buckeye Valley or Marion Harding.
Old 01-10-18, 09:46 PM
All Region

teach1coach2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatQB View Post
Gray will be:

Cambridge, Meadowbrook, River View, Coshocton..so where are they going according to the rumor mill? MVL was pretty clear they didn't want them and they don't want to go to PVC..what else is there? IVC?

I really can't say anymore, but unless things drastically take a turn it should be an interesting spring of school movement among about half the remaining ECOL schools.
Old 01-10-18, 11:03 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Gray will be:

Any chance the Buckeye 8 would want to expand to take in Cambridge and Meadowbrook and creates a North and South Division?

North:
Beaver Local, East Liverpool, Edison, Indian Creek, Buckeye Local, and Harrison Central

South:
Cambridge, Meadowbrook, St. Clairsville, Martins Ferry, Bellaire, and Union Local

Maybe go even bigger and try to draw in Carrollton and Minerva as well to make a pair of 7-team divisions?

As for River View and Coshocton, I don't know where they can go if the IVC doesn't want them. They're both on the small side for the OCC, and I can understand the MVL not viewing them as attractive additions.
Old 01-11-18, 08:53 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Any chance the Buckeye 8 would want to expand to take in Cambridge and Meadowbrook and creates a North and South Division?

North:
Beaver Local, East Liverpool, Edison, Indian Creek, Buckeye Local, and Harrison Central

South:
Cambridge, Meadowbrook, St. Clairsville, Martins Ferry, Bellaire, and Union Local

Maybe go even bigger and try to draw in Carrollton and Minerva as well to make a pair of 7-team divisions?

As for River View and Coshocton, I don't know where they can go if the IVC doesn't want them. They're both on the small side for the OCC, and I can understand the MVL not viewing them as attractive additions.
Mr. S, if you read all the posts on OVAC forum sounds like there are problems with Buckeye 8 too. Don't know how much truth there is or just people's wishful thinking. While I don't have problem with your idea, I don't think it'll happen. But if all this craziness happens, we'll need to land somewhere.

There has been more talk about us going to MVL again more than anything else. As of today, Cambridge would be the 6th largest school of 10 in MVL and would probably be 7th/8th this time next year. If that happens, I'd rather be in the B8 and playing St.C, UL, MF, and Bellaire than a "small" school division in MVL with New Lex, Morgan, West M and Crooksville..yuck.
Old 01-11-18, 05:51 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Mr. S, if you read all the posts on OVAC forum sounds like there are problems with Buckeye 8 too. Don't know how much truth there is or just people's wishful thinking. While I don't have problem with your idea, I don't think it'll happen. But if all this craziness happens, we'll need to land somewhere.

There has been more talk about us going to MVL again more than anything else. As of today, Cambridge would be the 6th largest school of 10 in MVL and would probably be 7th/8th this time next year. If that happens, I'd rather be in the B8 and playing St.C, UL, MF, and Bellaire than a "small" school division in MVL with New Lex, Morgan, West M and Crooksville..yuck.
I was not aware of the issues in the Buckeye 8, but I don't follow that league too closely. What kinds of issues are they having? IIRC, Bellaire looked into leaving a couple years ago due to shrinking enrollment but reconsidered. Any other issues?

Cambridge and Meadowbrook seem like they'd fit well in that league.
Old 01-12-18, 07:53 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
I was not aware of the issues in the Buckeye 8, but I don't follow that league too closely. What kinds of issues are they having? IIRC, Bellaire looked into leaving a couple years ago due to shrinking enrollment but reconsidered. Any other issues?

Cambridge and Meadowbrook seem like they'd fit well in that league.
agreed. I don't know of issues w/ B8, just listening to their fans. Declining enrollment, less participation, non-competitive, losing players to open enrollment...same things Cambridge is going through. However, MVL schools seem to be more stable and several are growing.