Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-09-18, 03:54 PM
Freshman

humblechicajp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
Indian Hill at DP Friday, can the Braves give them a good game? Both 5-0 coming in.
Wyoming goes to Mariemont in a battle for the middle.
Indian Hill @ Deer Park tonight Jan 9!
Old 01-09-18, 05:53 PM
Varsity

tune89 is on a distinguished road
Deer Park needs to enjoy it while they can. When Jr. graduates, Coach will no longer be seen around Deer Park. Anyone former college player can coach a bunch of talented kids, but not all coaches can develop players and it's clear Gentry has no interest in doing so or he would be involved in the youth basketball program.
Old 01-09-18, 09:19 PM
All Region

coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
Deer Park blows out Indian Hill 77-59.
Old 01-09-18, 10:01 PM
All Ohio

Big Ragu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltfan76 View Post
Deer Park blows out Indian Hill 77-59.
Checked it out. Gym was buzzing before halftime of the JV game! Well coached team. They don't rub it in and play as a team. McEntire (#25) was impressive. IH cut it to 10 in the 4th, but DP went on a quick 7-0 run, including a steal and dunk by McEntire.
Old 01-10-18, 08:52 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
I'd like to see DP but have no interest in watching a blow out. Since they don't play anyone that can give them a game I guess I'll pass.
Old 01-10-18, 06:35 PM
Junior Varsity

Sports Jock and Chad is on a distinguished road
Everyone knows my distate for the DP situation...and the race card was just pitiful...But Gentry can coach....don't kid yourself, there are a few coaches right here in the good ol CHL that could take DP's talent and turn it into a .500 team (or worse) in a heartbeat!
Old 01-10-18, 07:10 PM
All American

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Jock and Chad View Post
Everyone knows my distate for the DP situation...and the race card was just pitiful...But Gentry can coach....don't kid yourself, there are a few coaches right here in the good ol CHL that could take DP's talent and turn it into a .500 team (or worse) in a heartbeat!
Disagree.............
Old 01-10-18, 07:25 PM
All District

Eagles123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
Disagree.............
Agree. Talent doesn't make you a good coach. Makes you a good recruiter. Seems like that is becoming the new normal with high school basketball
Old 01-10-18, 09:31 PM
All American

I'm not sure how good of a coach he is. I have seen them play and think they would be 10-0 with any of the CHL coaches at the reigns.
Old 01-10-18, 10:52 PM
All Ohio

Big Ragu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Jock and Chad View Post
Gentry does a nice job with this group. They play as a team. I disagree with the .500 team comment though. Truthfully nobody in the CHL is near DPs level. Maybe Gentry's coaching will win a late round playoff game, where another coach might lose. Outside of that, even a CHL girls coach runs the table with this team.
Old 01-10-18, 11:13 PM
All American

Cantrell
Deer Park is very good. Are they as good as Reading 2003 team? Are they as good as NCH with Bill and OJ? If they win a state championship then we can talk. They do not have a Big man like Ellison 6'11 or a Clemons 6'8 with long arms. That could be one weakness.
Old 01-11-18, 12:59 AM
Junior Varsity

Red1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrell View Post
Deer Park is very good. Are they as good as Reading 2003 team? Are they as good as NCH with Bill and OJ? If they win a state championship then we can talk. They do not have a Big man like Ellison 6'11 or a Clemons 6'8 with long arms. That could be one weakness.
They have some fire power now I think those both would be good games
Old 01-11-18, 08:31 AM
All Region

Youknow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1234 View Post
Not sure about the reading state team but to compare this to team to the nch teams with oj, walker , and Ellison is crazy. Itís not close. Those guys were major D1 talents. Plus Deer Park you have to remember hasnít played any real competition. The over all records of teams plays is like 35-55. They are winning the game son their schedule and thatís good but they arenít really battle tested. They beat an average Wyoming team and and Indian Hill team who like deer park hasnít played anyone.
Old 01-11-18, 09:09 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youknow View Post
Not sure about the reading state team but to compare this to team to the nch teams with oj, walker , and Ellison is crazy. Itís not close. Those guys were major D1 talents. Plus Deer Park you have to remember hasnít played any real competition. The over all records of teams plays is like 35-55. They are winning the game son their schedule and thatís good but they arenít really battle tested. They beat an average Wyoming team and and Indian Hill team who like deer park hasnít played anyone.
Deer park doesn't have any division 1 players?
Old 01-11-18, 09:12 AM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Fringe D1 players maybe. McEntire could play maybe low conference D1 or MAC level. Mark Wise will probably be D1 caliber, but he's a sophomore and probably not quite there.....either way, it's simply crazy to think this DP team would have a chance against Mayo/Walker NCH.
Old 01-11-18, 09:16 AM
All Region

Quote:
To the caliber of Oj Mayo or Bill Walker.... no they donít and itís not close. Oj played one year of college then went on to a pretty good nba career. There isnít anyone on Deer parks team close to that caliber. They have good players but those guys are next level McDonalds all American guys. If you think they are then you never saw oj Mayo or Bill walker play.
Old 01-11-18, 10:38 AM
Junior Varsity

Sports Jock and Chad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
I'd like to see DP but have no interest in watching a blow out. Since they don't play anyone that can give them a game I guess I'll pass.
They beat Madeira by 4 at home in a see saw game...that was the one to watch..My guess is IH tried to play them man 2 man and DP was just too athletic and fast.... IMHO you play a defense to try to take away a teams strenghts Madeira ran a 2-3 and 1-3-1 sto stop penetration and kept it close all game...even leading about half the time....What Burch taught his guys is they are not as quick...and I didn't adjust (If he just played man all night) . Alot of the CHL coaches are "system guys" and wouldn't get the most out of DP's athletecism...DP is all about dribble drive penetration, ball screens, quick transitions...not exactly the CHL style since the days of the 03 Reading team. DP plays more like a college team
Old 01-11-18, 03:43 PM
All American

yappimember67 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Pretty sure they would get destroyed by a team that had future pros on it.
Old 01-11-18, 04:38 PM
All American

Cantrell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youknow View Post
Youknow, The Reading team after the state(04) was one of the teams to beat Bill and OJ. NCH also lost to St.X with Wolf at X and there only other loss was to Oak Hill Academy. I believe NCH never lost a game with Ellison playing.
Old 01-11-18, 04:48 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrell View Post
Youknow, The Reading team after the state(04) was one of the teams to beat Bill and OJ. NCH also lost to St.X with Wolf at X and there only other loss was to Oak Hill Academy. I believe NCH never lost a game with Ellison playing.
Yes they did beat NCH, and that X team was super loaded. But trying to compare that NCH team to this Deer Park team???? No, im not even sure they are the best D3 team in city or the state yet. They havent been tested at all. Thats not their fault by any means, they are winning the games in their schedule. But their schedule thus far has like a combined record of like 37-53, and the teams they play moving forward are just as bad
Old 01-11-18, 04:50 PM
All Region

Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Mayo was #4 nationally in his class at rivals.com; Walker was #7. Deer Park doesn't have anyone even being followed there. That doesn't mean no one will get a D1 offer--they track about 300 or so per class and there are about 1000 scholarships available per year. But there's definitely not a Mayo or a Walker in the CHL.
Old 01-12-18, 12:14 PM
All American

DP is not NCH, they could have kept the margin under 20 unlike most of their opponents back then.
Old 01-13-18, 11:32 PM
Junior Varsity

Fenwick beats Purcell Marion by double digits early in the season beats reading tonight by 4. I think this reading team loss to dp by 25 plus the we really think deer park vs Purcell Marion would be a game ?
Old 01-14-18, 03:12 PM
All Region

Quote:
Fenwick beats Purcell Marion by double digits early in the season beats reading tonight by 4. I think this reading team loss to dp by 25 plus the we really think deer park vs Purcell Marion would be a game ?
Yes it would be very close or even give dp a L. Yes they lost fenwick on. Night where fenwick was throwing stuff in. But Purcell is bigger,stronger, and every bit as athletic. One thing Purcell is that dp isnít is battle tested. Purcell plays maybe the hardest schedule in the city. Canít look at a loss a determine what would happen against another team. If thatís the case I could say do beat new Cath at the buzzer newcath almost lost to bacon. Purcell bear bacon by 20
Old 01-14-18, 04:29 PM
Junior Varsity

"Big stronger and every bit as athletic" id agree with that statement lol does anybody have comment on this ?
Old 01-14-18, 06:55 PM
All District

Eagles123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
"Big stronger and every bit as athletic" id agree with that statement lol does anybody have comment on this ?
I don't think dp defends very well. They fake hustle in the press to get steals against inferior competition. They can't defend in the halfcourt and they don't execute very well offensively. Its easy to get steals and score with numbers in transition. Against more fundamentally sound teams like a roger bacon or a Purcell they will struggle. They haven't been tested yet. That will hurt come tourney time.
Old 01-15-18, 08:01 AM
All Region

Quote:
Yes Bigger, I keep reading in the paper DP puts 7 guys out there 6'3 or bigger. Thats not true. Gentry 6' maybe, Wise ok 6'3, Damani 6'0 Des Mcentire isnt 6'3. Athie yes, The other big (the only DP kid)yes. Blair No, Rose No. Purcell has 2 kids 6'6 or 6'7 a 6'4 a 6'3 and everyone else is right around 6ft outside of a couple. Yes i think they are stronger. The schedule they play alone will make them that way. Yes finally they are crazy athletic.
Old 01-15-18, 11:40 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
If Deer Park wins the league it will be their second title and those would be the only two boys titles they have won in all sports since the CHL started. That is hard to explain.
Old 01-15-18, 11:50 AM
All Region

chlkyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
If Deer Park wins the league it will be their second title and those would be the only two boys titles they have won in all sports since the CHL started. That is hard to explain.
Deer Park has always been the either the smallest school in the league or the second smallest, so that is not surprising. Many of the better athletes end up at catholic high schools in the area over the years
Old 01-15-18, 12:44 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
"Fake hustle" haven't seen that term before and am just nodding as I know too many that do this- classic