Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-13-18, 05:19 PM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
3] Neither One Of Us" (Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye - Gladys Knight & the Pips

Had to look...

EagleGuy,

Hey, it's OK you had to look, it's after 2:00 PM an perfectly legit.

I'm just happy to see another question finally answered ! We only have one more unanswered question left and I'll answer it if it's still unanswered in a few minutes.

3. "Neither One Of Us Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye"by Gladys Knight & The Pips is correct.

JB
Old 01-13-18, 05:50 PM
All American

Here is the final summary for the 1973 Music Trivia Quiz :

1. " Dueling Banjos" - Eric Weissberg & Steve Mandell - Unanswered
2. " Also Sprach Zarathustra ( 2001) - Deodato - Zunardo
3. " Neither One Of Us" (Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye) - Gladys Knight & Pips- EagleGuy
4. " The Cisco Kid" - War - Zunardo
5. " Daniel" - Elton John - Monclova Steve
6. " Playground In My Mind" - Clint Holmes- Zunardo
7. " Kodachrome " - Paul Simon - Bevo
8. " Yesterday Once More" - The Carpenters - Bevo
9. " Live And Let Die " - Wings - Mr. Slippery
10" Loves Me Like A Rock " -Paul Simon - Bevo
11" Ramblin' Man " - Allman Brothers Band - Mr. Slippery
12" Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - Elton John - Mr. Slippery

JB
Old 01-13-18, 06:21 PM
All American

This next Music Trivia Quiz will feature two years of songs, 1974/75 - 12 total songs.
Hard to believe that in a 2 year period only 12 tunes sat at Number 2 on the Charts.

Rules:

- No Googling prior to Noon on Sunday, Jan 14th
- Maximum of 3 correct guesses prior to noon Sunday
- Unlimited guesses and any resource is allowed after noon Sunday
- List the artist/group who recorded the song

I think this quiz, while short for a two year period, could prove to be the
most challenging yet. I know I was out of my comfort level just working
on the list. Looking for some of our junior members to come to the forefront
on this one. Senior members. . .Lots of luck. Looking for the seniors to cherry pick
this to death, lol.

1974 Songs

1. " Boogie Down" -
2. " Dancing Machine" -
3. " You Make Me Feel Brand New" -
4. " Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" -
5. " Jazzman " -
6. "Do It" ('Til You're Satisfied) -
7. "When Will I See You Again?) -

1975 Songs

8. "You're The First, The Last, My Everything" -
9. "When Will I Be Loved" ? -
10" I'm Not In Love" -
11" Calypso/I'm Sorry" -
12" Lyin' Eyes" -

JB
Old 01-13-18, 06:36 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Well, I'm back in Miami in one piece and have a couple of guesses for the newest trivia quiz:

8. "You're The First, The Last, My Everything" - Barry White
12. "Lyin' Eyes" - The Eagles

ROCK ON!
Old 01-13-18, 06:37 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
4. "Don't Let.....Me" -- Sir Elton John

5. "Jazzman" -- Carole King

9. "When Will I Be Loved?" -- Linda Ronstadt

My wife......I think I'll keep her. She knows her some trivia!
Old 01-13-18, 06:41 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Glad you're back home safe and sound, OWK. We will now of course require your full and unabated participation (and don't yew forget it!).
Old 01-13-18, 06:48 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
10: " I'm Not In Love" - 10cc

:>---

SALT
Old 01-13-18, 07:04 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
9] When Will I Be Loved - Linda Ronstadt (OMGoodness)!
Old 01-13-18, 07:17 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
2. Dancing, dancing, dancing, she's a "Dancing Machine" - Jackson 5
Old 01-13-18, 07:37 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
Glad you're back home safe and sound, OWK. We will now of course require your full and unabated participation (and don't yew forget it!).
Thanks Monclova Steve! I'll always consider myself a Buckeye, but I have to be honest with you that it's nice to get back to warm weather. You know that I'm a participant, rather than a spectator. As we get away from the '60s songs, my knowledge of songs and artists decreases. I do, however, enjoy the banter and information on what I think is the best thread on Yappi (now in its 17th year).

A couple of upsets today in college basketball. #2 West Virginia had its 15-game winning streak stopped by #8 Texas Tech, 72-71, and #4 Michigan State lost to Michigan, 82-72. Seems like there are lots of good teams in college hoops this year, but not many really outstanding ones.

I'd also like to echo Bevo's words about the great Keith Jackson. He was definitely one of the best and a personal favorite of mine. He was a class act who enhanced the broadcast of any sporting event he was covering. He made things special when he used his famous phrase, "Whoa Nellie".

RIP KEITH JACKSON and ROCK ON!
Old 01-13-18, 07:54 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
Well, I'm back in Miami in one piece and have a couple of guesses for the newest trivia quiz:

8. "You're The First, The Last, My Everything" - Barry White
12. "Lyin' Eyes" - The Eagles

ROCK ON!

OWK,

Good to see you back in the game and on the board first. Both of your answers are correct.

8. "YTFTLME by Barry White is correct. Some Barry White trivia for you, He had 12 songs make the top 40 and his song titles had to average more words than any pop star ever in my opinion. Examples: He never had a hit with less than 4 words in the title.

two of his songs had 4 words in the title
four of his songs had 6 words in the title
four of his songs had 7 words in the title
two of his songs had 9 words in the title

12. "Lyin Eyes" by The Eagles is correct. I guess The Eagles didn't follow the Barry White rule of averaging over 6 words per title with this 2 word entry.

JB
Old 01-13-18, 08:13 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
4. "Don't Let.....Me" -- Sir Elton John

5. "Jazzman" -- Carole King

9. "When Will I Be Loved?" -- Linda Ronstadt

My wife......I think I'll keep her. She knows her some trivia!
Monclova Steve,

4. DLTSGDOM by Elton John is correct. Looks like Elton followed the example of Barry White with this 8 word title ! Elton John became the first artist to take his own #2 single to #1 on a re-release of " Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" when he released a live recording of the song in a duet with George Michael in 1991.

5. " Jazzman by Carole King is correct. This song was nominated for Best Female Pop Vocal but she lost out to Olivia Newton John.

9. " When Will I Be Loved" - Linda Ronstadt is correct. Cool remake of the Everly Brothers #8 hit in 1960 and charted 6 slots higher than the Everly's version.

Again, kudos to Mrs. Monclova and since you are aware of her skills in music trivia and plan to "keep her", you may recall Johnnie Taylor's hit from 1973 called " Cheaper To Keep Her". Congrats to both of you.

JB
Old 01-13-18, 08:30 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
10: " I'm Not In Love" - 10cc

:>---

SALT

ohiopup,

10. " I'm Not In Love" by 10cc is correct. Very good. This song really flirted with almost reaching #1 but was blocked on 3 occasions by 3 different songs preventing it from getting that elusive top spot. Keeping it from #1 were these 3 songs:

"The Hustle" by Van McCoy
" One Of These Nights" by The Eagles
" Jive Talkin'" by The Bee Gees

JB
Old 01-13-18, 08:32 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
9] When Will I Be Loved - Linda Ronstadt (OMGoodness)!
EagleGuy,

9." When Will I Be Loved" by Linda Ronstadt is correct but Monclova Steve answered first. Sorry.
See post 4865

JB
Old 01-13-18, 08:41 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
2. Dancing, dancing, dancing, she's a "Dancing Machine" - Jackson 5

BlackHawk,

2. "Dancing Machine by Michael Jackson is correct. You are an Answering Machine!

This is the MJ tune that inspired the dance "The Robot" after MJ performed The Robot on "Soul Train" and the dance became an overnight sensation as a result. You can bet your last money it was a stone gas honey!

JB
Old 01-13-18, 08:45 PM
All American

A quick update on the 1974/75 Quiz:

A much better start than I anticipated. Great job by everyone so far.
Seven down and five to go.

Need these five songs : 1, 3, 6, 7, 11

JB
Old 01-13-18, 10:06 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Red Lobster and The Post took me out. And, with what's left, I'm still out!

Very happy to watch Sparty go down.
Old 01-13-18, 10:27 PM
All American

I got one thanks to the word Calypso. When combined with the title I'm Sorry, I hear the great John Denver. Maybe along with Shanghi Breezes my two favorite Denver songs.

everyone knows that he wrote a very successful song for Peter, Paul and Mary, right? Kathy Lee says, Name that tune.
Old 01-13-18, 11:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
I got one thanks to the word Calypso. When combined with the title I'm Sorry, I hear the great John Denver. Maybe along with Shanghi Breezes my two favorite Denver songs.

everyone knows that he wrote a very successful song for Peter, Paul and Mary, right? Kathy Lee says, Name that tune.

Bevo,

"Calypso/I'm Sorry" by John Denver is correct. This a very quirky ranking on this two sided hit. . . follow me on this, August 16, 1975, Denver released the single "I'm Sorry with "Calypso on the flipside. Seven weeks later it went to #1 and the following week it dropped to #2. Radio stations started playing "Calypso" and it then became a big hit forcing the single to flip its "A" side. On October 11, 1975 the song became officially "Calypso"/"I'm Sorry".

The only #2 single to enter the charts in the runner-up position, depending on perception. "Calypso/ I'm Sorry" had stayed at the #2 spot for 4 straight weeks. Since Calypso hadn't been credited on the "I'm Sorry" chart ranking until it dropped from the#1 position. " Calypso is included in the runner up singles. Please don't ask me for more explanation, because after reading this narrative this morning twice I'm still confused. Don't kill the messenger. This explanation is what I found and I'm just reporting the info.

Oh, by the way there will be a quiz later on this specific question, just make no eye contact with me and maybe I won't call on you.

One final comment, if there is a more remorseful song than "I'm Sorry" I have yet to hear it. I get misty eyed every time I have ever heard it.

JB
Old 01-13-18, 11:22 PM
All American

Quote:

I'm probably not eligible to play but I'll just give a great big clue instead to someone. . . LOAJP.

JB
Old 01-13-18, 11:25 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
A quick update on the 1974/75 Quiz:

A much better start than I anticipated. Great job by everyone so far.
Seven down and five to go.

Need these five songs : 1, 3, 6, 7, 11

JB
Change the above post to read Eight down and four to go.

Still need these four songs: 1, 3, 6, 7

JB
Old 01-14-18, 12:03 AM
All American

Definitely yes, on the wistful, melancholy on I'm Sorry.

More than anything else I'm sorry for myself because you're not here with me. I'm sorry for all the lies I told you. I'm sorry for the things I didn't say.

And the moon and the stars are the same ones you see. That's the same old sun up in the sky.

There are lovers who walk hand in hand in the park and lovers who walk alone. I couldn't leave you baby even if I tried you're in my heart and living there.

Yes, John Denver wrote the massively poplar Leaving on A Jet Plane for the great Peter, Paul and Mary.
Old 01-14-18, 12:15 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
1. " Boogie Down" - Eddie Kendricks
6. "Do It" ('Til You're Satisfied) - BT Express
7. "When Will I See You Again?) - The Three Degrees

#3 is pretty easy - unless the voice I hear in my made sounds suspiciously like someone else.

P.S. David Berkowitz was working for the Postal Service when he was arrested, and I went to work for them six years later, so maybe there IS a connection .....

Quote:
..... the great John Denver.....
Johnstown Benny answered this rather creatively with the title in acronym, making it somehow look like a very expensive brand of Scotch. I did learn that about the time Calypso came out. So I have another bit of John Denver trivia for you: What is the connection between his song "Take Me Home, Country Roads", and the 1976 naughty ditty "Afternoon Delight"?

I learned this while watching a PBS fundraiser biography special on Denver a few years ago. Really interesting stuff, especially his upbringing and his experience as a young troubador on the Greenwich Village coffeehouse scene.
Old 01-14-18, 08:19 AM
All American

I may be mistaken but wasn't Berkowitz's insanity either tied to a neighbor named "Sam" with a dog: or a neighbor with a dog named "Sam"? Berkowitz thought his elderly neighbor Sam Carr was sending mental messages to Bekowitz via Sam's dog, Harvey.

I had an ex-wife who, during the summer she became me ex-wife, was really into the song Afternoon Delight; I believe she was sending me a message also!

John Denver passed in 1997; if still alive we would have been 74. My wife mentioned last night that she thought he was a decent actor. I did like him in Oh God with George Burns.

Last edited by Bevo; 01-14-18 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-14-18, 10:06 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post

#3 is pretty easy - unless the voice I hear in my made sounds suspiciously like someone else.

P.S. David Berkowitz was working for the Postal Service when he was arrested, and I went to work for them six years later, so maybe there IS a connection .....

Johnstown Benny answered this rather creatively with the title in acronym, making it somehow look like a very expensive brand of Scotch. I did learn that about the time Calypso came out. So I have another bit of John Denver trivia for you: What is the connection between his song "Take Me Home, Country Roads", and the 1976 naughty ditty "Afternoon Delight"?

I learned this while watching a PBS fundraiser biography special on Denver a few years ago. Really interesting stuff, especially his upbringing and his experience as a young troubador on the Greenwich Village coffeehouse scene.
I didn't happen to see the PBS special on John Denver, but I do know he was part of the sixties folk group the Chad Mitchell Trio and with Bill Danoff who was part of Starland Vocal Band with his wife Taffy, Bill Danoff co-wrote " Take Me Home Country Roads" a mega hit for John Denver. When the Danoff's took " Afternoon Delight" all the way to number 1 in 1976 the record was on the Windsong label which was the label Denver founded and "Afternoon Delight" was the first single Windsong released.

Prior to hitting it big as Starland Vocal Band, Bill and Taffy Danoff had released some duds and I have one of their early albums called "Aces" by Bill and Taffy, they weren't the Starland Vocal Band yet. I remember this album solely for one reason and it wasn't for the music. . .it was because my sister had bought me the album as a gift and it was one of the two records she ever bought me. I'm guessing it came from the cut-out bin after Starland Vocal Band had their big hit and I think it made one play on my turntable and that was it, destined to be filed away in the archives, quite the opposite of the other album she bought me and that was " Every Picture Tells A Story" by Rod Stewart which I nearly wore out. One out of two is not too bad I guess.

David Berkowitz was probably the poster boy for "disgruntled postal workers".

JB
Old 01-14-18, 11:19 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
I didn't happen to see the PBS special on John Denver, but I do know he was part of the sixties folk group the Chad Mitchell Trio and with Bill Danoff who was part of Starland Vocal Band with his wife Taffy, Bill Danoff co-wrote " Take Me Home Country Roads" a mega hit for John Denver. When the Danoff's took " Afternoon Delight" all the way to number 1 in 1976 the record was on the Windsong label which was the label Denver founded and "Afternoon Delight" was the first single Windsong released.

Prior to hitting it big as Starland Vocal Band, Bill and Taffy Danoff had released some duds and I have one of their early albums called "Aces" by Bill and Taffy, they weren't the Starland Vocal Band yet. I remember this album solely for one reason and it wasn't for the music. . .it was because my sister had bought me the album as a gift and it was one of the two records she ever bought me. I'm guessing it came from the cut-out bin after Starland Vocal Band had their big hit and I think it made one play on my turntable and that was it, destined to be filed away in the archives, quite the opposite of the other album she bought me and that was " Every Picture Tells A Story" by Rod Stewart which I nearly wore out. One out of two is not too bad I guess.

David Berkowitz was probably the poster boy for "disgruntled postal workers".

JB
Another piece of trivia regarding John Denver and the Chad Mitchell is that Michael Johnson was also part of that group with Denver. Michael Johnson, who passed away last year, was best known for his single, "Bluer Than Blue". The video below shows John Denver and Michael Johnson (the lead singer on this song) appearing with David Boise on "Both Sides, Now":

ROCK ON!
Old 01-14-18, 12:08 PM
All District

80greyhound is on a distinguished road
3. You Make Me feel Brand New. The Stylistics - big part of that Philly sound of the '70's.
Old 01-14-18, 12:54 PM
All American

Zunardo,

1. " Boogie Down - Eddie Kendricks is correct. Eddie had been lead singer with The Temptations on a few of their hits before trying a solo career.

6. " Do It (Til' You're Satisfied)" by B.T. Express is correct. Ever wonder what the B.T. stood for in B.T. Express ? Probably not, but the group from Brooklyn was first known as The King Davis House Rockers and then changed the group's name to The Brooklyn Trucking Express and finally shortened it to B.T. Express.

7. " When Will I See You Again" by The Three Degrees is correct. The Three Degrees at one time been a part on MFSB which took TSOP to a number 1 record. Translations:
MFSB was the house band at Sigma Studios in Philadelphia and stood for "Mothers, Fathers, Sisters, Brothers" and TSOP stood for "The Sound Of Philadelphia". This was a huge group of singers and musicians over 40 members and they played on nearly every big hit from Philly in the 70's like The Delfonics, The Spinners, The O'Jays, Billy Paul, Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, and The Intruders. The female trio that was part of the #1 hit TSOP spun off as The Three Degrees and took "When Will I See You Again, all the way to #2.

JB
Old 01-14-18, 12:56 PM
All American

Doctorate level material!
Old 01-14-18, 01:03 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80greyhound View Post
3. You Make Me feel Brand New. The Stylistics - big part of that Philly sound of the '70's.
80greyhound,

3. "You Make Me Feel Brand New" by The Stylistics is correct. You are on the money when you say that The Stylistics were part of the Philly sound of the 70's. Those guys had 10 songs break the Top 40 between 1971 and 1974. "You Make Me Feel Brand New" was their highest charted song at #2 with " Betcha By Golly Wow" a close second when it peaked at # 3 in 1972. Ten Top 40 hits in a 3 year period is amazing.

Glad to see you answer this question as this closes out the 1974/75 quiz. Good job.

JB

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: