Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-01-18, 09:02 AM
All District

Ohio Blast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post
Really? I知 pretty sure I saw a box score for the dual with Teays Valley. Are you saying the kids that wrestled did not compete? Do you know something that nobody else knows? News flash...the team competed.
Really? Can we then assume that Coffman had no available 170, 195, 220, or 285 available to compete?
Old 02-01-18, 09:13 AM
All American

CincyCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Root View Post
First off, thanks to Western Brown for being such a great host. Not the closest drive for us, but always a first class program. We beat a very talented and well coached group of Bronco's. Anyone there saw that numerous matches could have gone either way.

LaSalle wrestlers, parents, coaches, and supporters... please refrain from posting anything negative or boastful. While I love yappi as much as the next idiot; if you can't represent our school the right way, then please don't at all.

To those offended, I apologize on behalf of our school and our program. And for the record... I have a personal Twitter account, but for $1,000 I couldn't begin to tell you how to post. If there was something uncalled for posted on our team account I will have it removed. Again, my apologies if we offended anyone.

Best of luck to everyone moving forward.

Coach Root
Thanks, Coach! Well said. Your kids and staff represented your school with class, as always. Lord knows Western Brown has a few idiots in our community too (myself included in that). That's not really indicative of either program just because they occasionally get on yappi and flap their gibs. I stepped down from coaching years ago but it's still quite impressive as "just a fan in the stands" to see a team like the one you've got. Best of luck to you and your kids down the stretch through the Month of Champions.
-Chris Shepherd
Old 02-01-18, 09:29 AM
All Region

wrestlingdad3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepirate86 View Post
LaSalle probably won't get past Loveland or Western Brown in region 8
Old 02-01-18, 09:30 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepirate86 View Post
They are both built to dual
Old 02-01-18, 09:32 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithcarter View Post
I realize match ups make duals. The end result may not end up close but Western Brown was an overtime takedown from beating elder in a dual. So in a dual where Lasalle only beat Elder by 3 or so i wouldnt go with they arent in the same league. I dont know the line ups and how they match up and i know that the transitive property doesnt always work but i think you were a little of base with they are not in the same league bro. Like i said score may end up out of whack but Western Brown can hang with them.

Now granted i dont even know the bracket and WB could lose to Loveland but the same league thing got to me.
Old 02-01-18, 10:11 AM
All World

bdhof will become famous soon enough
A few notes from each region:
Elyria was not tested, closest match was 44-22 vs Oregon Clay
Eds was not tested, closest match was 50-18 vs Wadsworth
Brecksville not tested, closest match was 64-12 vs Solon
Massilon Perry not tested, closest match was 54-13 vs Mass Jackson
Marysville closest match was 35-26 vs Westerville North
*Graham was not tested, closest match was 59-15 over Butler
Mason closest match was 36-28 vs Fairfield
LaSalle closest match was 35-33 over Elder

Elder gets the should've, would've, could've award as the most deserving team not to make the field of 8 in Columbus losing a nail biter to likely #3 seed LaSalle.

So five of the eight regions were blowouts. Marysville, Mason and LaSalle had a close match.

I think I've seen seed projections, and all point to Graham #1, Eds #2, LaSalle #3, and then I'm not sure. Should be a good tourny. Eds proved in a recent dual that they can stay with Graham. And LaSalle is a very talented team that can stay with Eds.

*Included in their wins was a second round perfect 84-0 (14 six point matches) win over Sidney
Old 02-01-18, 10:14 AM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Forfeits and back-ups got beat up for Coffman , saw the score and knew something was up . Also Casey Magyar who got major decisioned at 145 is not a SR, but a Frosh not that it really matters .

O-Liberty doesn't compete in this at all , not sure I disagree as much as the duals and certain match-ups can be fun and interesting to watch
Old 02-01-18, 10:20 AM
All American

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Blast View Post
Really? Can we then assume that Coffman had no available 170, 195, 220, or 285 available to compete?
Yeah...you can assume that. Since they filled 10 weights, I知 sure they would have filled the remaining 4 if they had kids available that are varsity appropriate.

I知 sure your issue is that the coach did not put every varsity starter out there regardless of injury, homework, rest or whatever. The reality is that this dual was completely meaningless from a varsity starter perspective. The coach obviously felt that providing deserving back ups an opportunity was better for the team than wrestling 2 duals last night that would end up meaning nothing. Save me the righteous speech on waving the white flag against Graham. They already competed in an event this year against Graham. Funny how it is OK to wrestle back ups against a team that you completly over match, but it is somehow an agregious lack of competitiveness to do the same in a totally meaningless contest.
Old 02-01-18, 10:22 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
Forfeits and back-ups got beat up for Coffman , saw the score and knew something was up . Also Casey Magyar who got major decisioned at 145 is not a SR, but a Frosh not that it really matters .

O-Liberty doesn't compete in this at all , not sure I disagree as much as the duals and certain match-ups can be fun and interesting to watch
I can't understand this. They have a team that could be top four in the state and their kids would remember that for the rest of their lives. Last year they could have been a state runner-up and did the same thing. Do they tell their kids at the end of the year that if you can't win the state just don't compete?
Old 02-01-18, 10:31 AM
All District

Ohio Blast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah...you can assume that. Since they filled 10 weights, I’m sure they would have filled the remaining 4 if they had kids available that are varsity appropriate.

I’m sure your issue is that the coach did not put every varsity starter out there regardless of injury, homework, rest or whatever. The reality is that this dual was completely meaningless from a varsity starter perspective. The coach obviously felt that providing deserving back ups an opportunity was better for the team than wrestling 2 duals last night that would end up meaning nothing. Save me the righteous speech on waving the white flag against Graham. They already competed in an event this year against Graham. Funny how it is OK to wrestle back ups against a team that you completly over match, but it is somehow an agregious lack of competitiveness to do the same in a totally meaningless contest.
What changed since the time DC committed to the state duals to make this or any other dual "meaningless"?

And for the record I was a huge supporter of DC last year when they were getting criticized for their state dual performance while a more credentialed team chose to stay home and not compete.
Old 02-01-18, 10:34 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
I can't understand this. They have a team that could be top four in the state and their kids would remember that for the rest of their lives. Last year they could have been a state runner-up and did the same thing. Do they tell their kids at the end of the year that if you can't win the state just don't compete?
Agree or disagree, but the coach at OL has gone on record saying he does not support the set up of the state dual series. He disagrees with having consecutive Wednesday night contests with back to back conference duals the following night. At least he does not change his position based on the competitiveness of his team. They were a top 2-3 team last year, but it did not matter to him. I have no way of knowing but given the format change next year,
I bet he enters.
Old 02-01-18, 10:42 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Blast View Post
What changed since the time DC committed to the state duals to make this or any other dual "meaningless"?
Again, they did not forfeit the match. They went to Graham and competed as they commited to do. Any number of things could have changed which influenced their line up...Graham in their way, nagging injuries, tired kids, a big exam today. I have no idea and pretty sure you don稚, either. I know this, I think their coach is darn good and trust that he made a good decision.
Old 02-01-18, 11:20 AM
All Ohio

TheFan1 is on a distinguished road
Speaking of decisions, does anyone know why Graham forfeited at 120 versus Butler? Obviously not for points reasons nor will they meet each other again this year, and thought that Martin V Hoskins could possibly be a premier match of the night . I understand if he was banged up, but he did wrestle against TV
Old 02-01-18, 11:56 AM
All Ohio

suplex21 is on a distinguished road
I think the seeds will look more like
Graham
Ed's
Brecksville
Perry
Lasalle
Elyria
Mason
Marysville

Hard to overcome 2 forfeits at this level of competition.
Old 02-01-18, 02:32 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex21 View Post
I think the seeds will look more like
Graham
Ed's
Brecksville
Perry
Lasalle
Elyria
Mason
Marysville

Hard to overcome 2 forfeits at this level of competition.
Per Borofan rankings, Perry would win 5 matches against LaSalle which includes the two FFs. And 6 of LaSalle's 9 wins would be likely bonus wins. Brecksville would be close with each team wining 7 (counting FFs) and each team getting 4 bonus wins. The 6 pt FFs would likely tip the scale for Brecksville. Plus there are some close matches (per rankings) that LaSalle is favored but could be considered tossups (106, 113 and 138). It'll be interesting to see how the committee seeds them.
Old 02-01-18, 03:07 PM
All American

kbiz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
LaSalle closest match was 35-33 over Elder

Elder gets the should've, would've, could've award as the most deserving team not to make the field of 8 in Columbus losing a nail biter to likely #3 seed LaSalle.
Don't get me wrong, I love the guys over at Elder and they have a quality team from top to bottom as always, but correct me if I'm wrong but 30 of their 33 points were forfeits, right? I think the thing that is noteworthy in Elder's performance was how few points they allowed against some of the best HS wrestlers in the country. I think E. Heard and Baker were the only ones who managed to score more than 3 team points. Again I'm only going off of memory... Great job by both teams.
Old 02-01-18, 03:12 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbiz View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love the guys over at Elder and they have a quality team from top to bottom as always, but correct me if I'm wrong but 30 of their 33 points were forfeits, right? I think the thing that is noteworthy in Elder's performance was how few points they allowed against some of the best HS wrestlers in the country. I think E. Heard and Baker were the only ones who managed to score more than 3 team points. Again I'm only going off of memory... Great job by both teams.
I didn't see the match results, but I know Elder has a really good team and could have one a match or two in Columbus.
Old 02-01-18, 05:25 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
In the case of LaSalle/Elder, the forfeits were in spots where Elder is pretty good anyway. They forfeited to Lipps, Weathersby, Murphy, McCloud, and Moore-Nash.

LaSalle has not had a 152 all year. They chose to trade matches at 160/170 (Sizemore bumped to wrestle the lesser opponent in Belcher, closing out the starter LaSalle has at 170). With the dual out of reach, Bledsoe nor Brown wrestled, they would have been underdogs to the Elder opponent in both matches. LaSalle has three spots occupied in the 126-145 range with state qualification contender starters (Heard a state title candidate), with a backup at the lower end of that area, they chose to wrestle 126/132/138 and not wrestle 145.

In terms of "displacement", Elder and Wadsworth are the two teams that were the odd ones out.
Wadsworth could have beaten Massillon Perry, Elyria, or Brecksville to get out to state. I know they lost to Brecksville already, but that was a great dual and could have went the other way. Wadsworth also beat Mason in a dual this past Saturday, nine matches to five. I think Wadsworth could have won a first round match.
I think Elder would have been an underdog in the first round if they were put in Mason's region (and beat Mason), but it would not have been out of the question for them to win.
Old 02-04-18, 02:11 PM
Varsity

DCWTEAM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah...you can assume that. Since they filled 10 weights, I知 sure they would have filled the remaining 4 if they had kids available that are varsity appropriate.

I知 sure your issue is that the coach did not put every varsity starter out there regardless of injury, homework, rest or whatever. The reality is that this dual was completely meaningless from a varsity starter perspective. The coach obviously felt that providing deserving back ups an opportunity was better for the team than wrestling 2 duals last night that would end up meaning nothing. Save me the righteous speech on waving the white flag against Graham. They already competed in an event this year against Graham. Funny how it is OK to wrestle back ups against a team that you completly over match, but it is somehow an agregious lack of competitiveness to do the same in a totally meaningless contest.