Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Softball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-22-18, 12:14 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Pitching with a wet ball

Being around a couple youth pitchers who struggled pitching when the rain came down and they played through it, are there any secrets to pitching with a wet ball? I know keeping it dry but that's not always possible.

Maybe just practice pitching with a wet ball a few times a year just in case?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-18, 06:05 AM
All Region

mikedyer is on a distinguished road
Put a bucket of water in the circle, dip the ball in it every few pitches.
Old 03-25-18, 06:39 AM
Freshman

FPJunkie
Wet Ball thoughts

Obviously, the weather is out of our control. But, always remember both pitchers have the same problem, so the slightest edge is the best you can expect. Handling this challenge is a bit easier as you get older, simply due to the size of your hands, but it's no "picnic". Breaking pitches for the older ages becomes a BIG issue. The bottom line is there are only two areas on the uniform that are (somewhat) dry, and some girls think this is "gross" - under the arms and between the legs. These areas can be used to dry off the ball and the pitching hand. This will usually get a pitcher through until the rains stops or the game is "called". It doesn't seem worthwhile to practice with a wet ball, since the object is to dry the darn thing, so "wet" will vary.
Old 03-25-18, 02:26 PM
Go Buckeyes

Thanks for the replies.

My first experience with this was with 10U softball where they were going to try to get the game in. It was a hard downpour and 8 straight pitches dropping out of the pitcher's hand rolling to the catcher. I figured there had to be some secret or trick because other teams surely dealt with tournaments that played through everything.

Fortunately, the game was called after making a pitching change and the field becoming a swamp. If we continued, we were going to have the pitcher throw slow-pitch softball style.
Old 03-26-18, 05:12 PM
All Region

A wet game story.

I will preface it by saying that the folks from the other side of the stands likely saw it differently.

My kid was a freshman, her team was undefeated, they were playing an undefeated team on their home field.

In a 0-0 game, bottom of the 3rd or so the bottom falls out. The umpires let our pitcher walk in 8 runs before they finally pulled the kids off of the field. They finally had no choice. She slipping and was falling down in the mud.

Ridiculous.

Anyway.

It stopped raining and they started playing again. The home team was real nice and they hit the circle a little bit with a rake.

Our pitcher got us out of the inning though and there was no more damage.

At the top of the next inning they brought out about 6 or 8 bags of diamond dry and worked on the circle for about 15 minutes. They cleaned up the rest of the field too.

Every time their team took the field after that they raked in at least 1 more bag of diamond dry.

The score stayed the same until the top of the 7th. My kid banged the fence and started a 9 run rally.

They played the same team the next night at home, their coach had a total meltdown in front of god and everyone, but that's another story for another day.
Old 03-26-18, 05:48 PM
Go Buckeyes

That's a great story. Serves them right.

Ours was a little different. The game was 3-1 in the last inning. It hadn't rained all day but the rains were coming in and it was not going to stop. Our pitcher had shut down their team for the whole game outside one hit. The rains started during warmups and was a downpour when their first batter got in the box. 4 straight balls. Runner on 1st. 4 more straight balls. Runner had rounded the bases and scored during those 4 pitches. It was crazy that we were still playing. The other three fields had been cleared but the umpire couldn't see them.

I told our pitching coach to go out and talk to her once after the first walk. Told him to talk to her after the second walk. After he got back to the dugout, we "decided" to change pitchers. During warmups, the umpire finally decided to call the game. She appeared to be trying to let the other team tie the score and then call it but the field was a swamp at that point with rivers running through it. I was prepared to send the catcher out after each pitch to talk to the pitcher and then make a pitching change after that batter too. We were going to slow the game down to the point that the umpire would finally relent.

That was by far the worst weather/field I've ever seen a game played on when it was finally called. It was a great game up to that point and really gnawed at me to let a team that was clearly beaten come back to win in a game that had virtually nothing to do with softball.

So this is the reason for my question because I don't want to get caught off guard like this again with a tournament director gung-ho on getting a game completed.
Old 03-26-18, 06:23 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
She appeared to be trying to let the other team tie the score and then call it but the field was a swamp at that point with rivers running through it.
I can tell you, from personal experience, that the last thing an umpire or official or whatever wants to be seen as is being partial.

I think the first thing we could all do to avoid such situations is to stop being partial...
Old 03-26-18, 06:33 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedyer View Post
I can tell you, from personal experience, that the last thing an umpire or official or whatever wants to be seen as is being partial.

I think the first thing we could all do to avoid such situations is to stop being partial...
I think that is why she wanted the game to continue. With the inning started, if she had stopped before they had their at-bats we would have won the game.

Maybe it was just a feeling that I had. There rules were funny as the game was a drop dead even in the championship game (no reverting to prior inning score). There was no way that we would have gotten to bat in the bottom of the inning. Heck, there was already complaining from both teams' parents to get them off the field.

Honestly, that was the only reason I could see playing through that kind of downpour.