Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-23-18, 09:04 AM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
Northeast Regional Picks

From Tiffin to Spartan to Legends the landscape has changed so much. This is an almost impossible task once you get past the first five locks.

Boy’s D1 locks and why...but not their finish order

Jackson because week to week they are improving the most

Hudson because they have the most talented team in the are but a little inconsistent in the front

St Ignatius because of their strength at the top three and team depth

Medina okay in the front and improving

Kenston the most consistent team all year..will they win no but they won’t beat themselves

Louisville If Jackson is really that good then Louisville has a shot

Highland ....similar to Medina but not as strong in the rear

Shaker Heights just a refreshing group of athletes they have nothing to lose

Steele Hill And Kirsch will put them in the mix...but 3 thru 5 will have to run well at the regional

Solon they need some besides Esper to finish closer to the front

Highland Saturday they looked similar to Medina but not as fast

Hoover /St Edwards these team just need two athletes to have a really good day to steal the 7th spot

Girl’s D1 not their finish order

Chardon I like them because they are improving week to week good in the front and their back won’t be a liability

Hudson the last two weekends they seem to be hanging on a thread

Medina very strong in the front and great team depth

Wadsworth coming on like gang busters against Medina they couldn’t handle their front runners or depth. But this is a new week

Green they should have five runners close enough to the front to advance

Louisville might be slightly faster then Green in a tougher field

St Joseph my upset special. They may add a runner who will give them just enough to steal the seventh spot. I didn’t realize how close they are to Highland and Wadsworth

Others

Highland if the back of their pack doesn’t doesn’t improve they don’t get out

Kenston I love this team but it’s going to be difficult

Avon Lake a good squad, but they are built to do well in a smaller field

Avon see Avon Lake

Last edited by cvctrackfan; 10-23-18 at 07:28 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-18, 09:54 AM
All American

D2 Boy’s

After the first three teams it’s very difficult to really have a lot of confidence in the rest of the field anyone else is very capable of advancing or staying home. Most of the other squads have #5 runners running in high 18’s to 19’s

Bay got the front runner and a lot of depth no problem here

Woodridge the best team in the region the key is their 3,4 runners are outstanding

SVSM very good in the front and very solid in the back

Salem only because of their #1 runner and their 5 and 6 guys are in low 18’s

NDCL also has a solid group..they don’t have the firepower up front. But their back is not going to doom them

Others

Lake Catholic if any team is going to upset the apple cart and advance it will be the Cougars

Tuslaw in a field like this one a good one two will take you a long way

Garfield despite scoring only four runners that number five runner could be well over 100 points

Springfield I really wish they had more speed up front

Cloverleaf I really wanted to pick them to advance but is going to take around 255 points to advance and right now they look like 268 points

Girl’s D2

The top three schools are easy to pick...but any team not named SVSM is not a sure lock if their top girls don’t finish the race. I’m predicting one of the District champions is going to have an off day.

SVSM I don’t believe another D2 has come close to giving them a scare. They have it all

Beaumont no team in the area is beating then one thru four ....evening with a weak five they are advancing if they run well.

Hawken scoring the meet 1 thru 3 the Hawks will be leading....and their 4 and 5 runners are okay but once again they could get lost in the crowd

ooops forgot Hoban with a real low number up front they have made great strides the last two weeks

Edgewood good in the front..they are a complete team. Their number five runner will be the difference

Poland they also are solid one thru three I like them to make it out

Chagrin Falls they also have enough...their one and two runners are going to have to finish in the top 16.

Woodridge they just close enough to finish it off. I’m looking for them to scratch and claw their way to Hebron

Others

Howland this team has more talent then several teams I picked a head of them. The difference is they are really an up and down kind of team

Salem is also a very very good squad at the top of their line up. But their 4 and 5 runners just give too much away

Last edited by cvctrackfan; 10-23-18 at 07:30 PM..
Old 10-23-18, 10:16 AM
All American

D3 Boy’s because this is only a 12 team field The Regional has turned into a tri meet between Gilmour, McDonald and East Canton... their athletes should take 9 of the top 12 spots.

McDonald the preseason state #1 is finally healthy and running well.

East Canton will score only four in this meet. They have improved much the last five weeks

Gilmour Academy the top team at Spartan. There great in the front and their four and five runners are improving

Maplewood don’t have the front runners but their pack should get them to Hebron

Others

Canton Central Catholic I really like the Crusaders to finish a solid fifth here.

Mapleton with their number one runner hurt it’s going to be a difficult task

Girl’s D3

Only 3 teams advance here

McDonald they are really running well

Gilmour unbeaten against the field. They have the most depth.

Maplewoood have not dropped off. If they run like can run it shouldn’t be a problem getting third

Others

Independence their five could be a problem their one and two runnings can’t just settle.

CCC good race at districts At the regional their 2 thru 5 will have to run better

Mineral Ridge ran very well at Spartan But will have to out run Maplewood woman to woman .They can’t let them put 5 runners in front of their number three.
Old 10-24-18, 06:36 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
So, I was thinking today, "How would I try and beat a team like Woodridge boys" if I was coaching against them with a team like Bay or looking ahead a bit, Shelby?

I know what I would do and it took me all of 10 seconds to come to it, but I'm curious if other coaches would do the same?

So, how do you beat a team like them?
Old 10-24-18, 07:25 PM
All American

I would let my number one runner go he should beat Woodridges #1 again......then I would have my 2,3,4,5,6 runners run right behind Woodridge’s #1,2,3,4,5,.....if they fill those gaps they might have a chance to win.....
Old 10-25-18, 03:52 AM
All World

I think you have to beat them at their own game and use their pack running against them. Woodridge sends their #1 out and he does whatever he wants. He's a single digit scorer at the state last year and he has hung with just about everyone at the front so far this year. 2-7 pack run like they are tethered together until about 800m left and even then, they only separate slightly. They will not go out crazy or get broken up.

If I was Bay, I would not send #1 at the Regional. I would have #1 and #2 work at keeping Bay's team in a pack and help 3-5 along as long as possible. You just key on the pack and then try and out kick them at the finish. It's not like they are going to be back towards the back. Even if you ultimately can't do it, you still make it out as a team to the state meet where you can let #1 go for broke. At the state meet, I would still have 2,3 and 4 doing everything possible to keep 5 with them and running a little back if needed until the last 800 or so. You just ran head to head with them and beating Woodridge at 1 and 2 didn't get the job done, so now, how about trying to beat them at 4 and 5 and see if that works. If it doesn't, you sell it to 1 and 2 as an easier race that will help them at the state meet because they didn't go deep in the well. If it does work, you double down and do it again at the state meet and hope that it helps you with Shelby too.

All the pressure is on Bay's #5. The weight of the entire team is on his legs. Help take that off him and run with him and pull him along as much as possible. If everyone has a job, #1 get their #1 and #2 get their #2 etc,,, Bays #5 has Woodridge #5, 6 and 7 to contend with. That's putting too much of the load on one guy. Let's let #1,2,3,4 and 5 attack the other teams 4 and 5. That seems a little more doable.

I do like what Bay did at the District meet. #1 only won the race by the slightest margin he needed too. I think he controlled the race nicely. At the Regional, that all goes to pot as Klouda and others will push it more and not really allow Bay's 1 to control things as much.

Go look at Sheridan at the state meet last year. They nearly pulled it off, They were crushed 1-3 by Lexington and nearly pulled it off at 4 and 5.
Old 10-25-18, 06:00 AM
All American

The difference right known between Bay and Woodridge is their number 5. Unless Woodridge has a sub par afternoon it’s not going to happen, there is a 30 seconds or more gap in the 5 runners. Bay is still in the game one thru 4 just let it hang out the worst that could happen is that SVSM might sneak up on you.
Old 10-26-18, 11:18 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
After not calling for any rain a couple days ago, there is now a 90% chance of rain (not light rain, not showers, but RAIN) all night long in Boardman. The chance of rain decreases from 9am onward but will remain at or above 75% until becoming light rain in the afternoon. Oh boy!

It's been dry all week, so maybe the course can withstand it, but we've all seen this movie before. The usual spots could be rather torn up by the time the girls' races come around. Are there any teams on the outside looking in who might be able to take advantage of conditions similar to the invitational 6 weeks ago?
Old 10-26-18, 02:43 PM
All World

Woodridge tends to run well in bad weather historically. I would think it might hurt Beaumont girls. I think it would help the Woodridge girls.
Old 10-27-18, 05:46 PM
All World

In D1 Boys, Kenston and Solon were so close that if Solon's number 5 and Kenstons 5 flip flop positions at 83 and 84, Solon goes on the tie breaker.

D1 girls was what I thought it would be.

D2 Boys. $V$M and Woodridge are tied through 3. $V$M is ahead at 4 by 2, but Woodridge is 10 ahead at 5 and that's with 2 extra points added to $V$M because Woodridge 6 and 7 were ahead of $V$M's 5. Unreal close.

D2 Girls. Sitting there and Watching it was impossible to tell which teams after 3 would get the 4,5 and 6 spots. Chagrin Falls looks like they ran without their #1 and Woodridge had illness (Like I'm sure other teams had) and swapped out #7 from last week with Number 8 who ended up #5 to push them through. Normal #3 was sick and fell to add another hurdle to the mix of obstacles. Only 19 points separated 4-9 in the team standings. (Have to really be happy with what Springfield boys and girls are doing. They have come a long way in a few short years) Poland, Tallmadge and Hoban all had Woodridge and Chagrin Falls beat at the 2 mile mark I'm pretty sure. Woodridge 3,4 and 5 just tore through the pack the last mile. Still, we had hundreds of years of experienced coaches and spectators all scratching our heads. I thought we could be 4th, but I missed and Edgewood girl. We would go through the teams and the top 3 were clear. Then, I would go through the next teams and it was just too close. I even thought Cloverleaf was in the mix, and they were. That is as good as it gets as far as suspense. $V$M girls are a dominating team and they still scored in the 80's. That's with a 7 better than every other teams 5.

D3 boys was a clear cut top 3

D3 girls was a close one between Mineral Ridge and Independence and watching the race, it was obviously it was going to be close. 4 points. Swap 5's and it's a tie breaker going the other way.

Nice meet in wonderful weather. My feet are still a bit cold.

Have to really like what Springfield has done in the last few years in D2. They have come a long way in a short time. Enthusiastic coaching does wonders.
Old 10-27-18, 06:12 PM
All American

I couldn’t have it said any better coach. My surprise qualifier of the whole meet was University School in Boys D1. Everyone else who qualified had some kinda chance to advance.
Old 10-27-18, 06:21 PM
All World

I wasn't that shocked by that. They were higher than I expected, but they were right in the mix with Kenston and Solon I thought. They were a bit higher than I thought they would be, so yeah, sort of a surprise.
Old 10-27-18, 09:02 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
16th out of 19 teams. We didn't get last today. But I do believe we could have done better. I mean, results from a single regional meet in a given year isn't going to make or break me. Im interested in the long haul, the overall trajectory which our team is going. And regardless of what would have happened today, I think that my comets have taken some major steps in the right direction this season, and for that this season has been a moral success. But still, I would soon like to see us start moving up at regionals. I do see possibilities with next years team. I am actually pretty excited for next season already. I don't know to what extent our possibilities are going to be with next years team, but I think we should be in a good position to accomplish something at regionals. Well see. I will look over some numbers in the offseason, and figure out what our next steps should be. In the mean time, good job to everyone competing today, and best of luck to everyone racing at NTR next week.
Old 10-28-18, 06:39 AM
All Ohio

peebles is on a distinguished road
The runner that could have finished as high as number three for the Salem boys injured his hip during the race and finished last overall. The Quakers might have finished higher in the team standings if he had stayed healthy, but it doesn't really matter because they still qualified. I don't know if the injury will stop him from running at state.
Old 10-28-18, 07:45 AM
All World

$V$M, Bay and Woodridge are pretty good. Even if Salem's runner that finished last had a great day and won the race, Salem only moves up one place to 4th. If he was healthy and just finished before #5, they still move up to 4th. Just good that they made it.

The Cloverleaf and Tallmadge boys tied with 264 which Cloverleaf won with the 6th man tie breaker by one place. Tallmadge beat Cloverleaf at #7 by one. They end up with identical scores through all 7 runners. Tallmadge wins the dual meet 27 to 28. That's two/too close teams.

The sportsmanship and respect shown at the Boardman meet and I'm sure every meet all year, is just so refreshing compared to being at a football or soccer game. I love soccer too by the way. Enjoy football very much. No yelling at the refs all game. The ability of the crowd to be inches from the action and not interfere is a beautiful thing. It amazes me how close we can get.
Old 11-08-18, 11:10 AM
All Region

billcarson is on a distinguished road
This region could very well place 3 teams in the top 5 in this Saturdays
D2 Boys race.
After Shelby wins it;
2. Woodridge
3. $t. V
4. Heath
5. Bay
6. Lexington
Old 11-08-18, 04:10 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcarson View Post
This region could very well place 3 teams in the top 5 in this Saturdays
D2 Boys race.
After Shelby wins it;
2. Woodridge
3. $t. V
4. Heath
5. Bay
6. Lexington
Could be 3 of the top 4. It's once again the toughest Regional at the top 3 teams. Shelby has their work cut out for them with $V$M and Woodridge. They have to run nearly flawless.
Old 11-12-18, 10:43 PM
All Region

billcarson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Could be 3 of the top 4. It's once again the toughest Regional at the top 3 teams. Shelby has their work cut out for them with $V$M and Woodridge. They have to run nearly flawless.
You were right on. Next year could be the same, maybe even 1, 2, 3.
Old 11-14-18, 12:00 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcarson View Post
You were right on. Next year could be the same, maybe even 1, 2, 3.
I dunno. SVSM is gonna be down a bit next year. They do lose their top 3 runners to graduation. Now don't get me wrong, a "down" SVSM is still going to be formidable-always. But I don't think they are going to be able to finish top 3 next season.
Old 11-14-18, 11:00 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
I dunno. SVSM is gonna be down a bit next year. They do lose their top 3 runners to graduation. Now don't get me wrong, a "down" SVSM is still going to be formidable-always. But I don't think they are going to be able to finish top 3 next season.
SVSM reloads about as well as anyone not named Woodridge. They usually have a few extra bodies stashed away on their JV squad, and they're always a threat to have freshman talent coming in from the CYO ranks. Coach Lancianese has worked long and hard to build that program and keep it competing at a high level.

Having said all that, I am predicting that NEO does not pull off a 1-2-3 sweep in the DII boys team race next fall. Heath looks like the strongest threat to prevent that from happening. They return all but their #3 from Saturday's 6th place team.
Old 11-14-18, 12:08 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
SVSM reloads about as well as anyone not named Woodridge. They usually have a few extra bodies stashed away on their JV squad, and they're always a threat to have freshman talent coming in from the CYO ranks. Coach Lancianese has worked long and hard to build that program and keep it competing at a high level.

Having said all that, I am predicting that NEO does not pull off a 1-2-3 sweep in the DII boys team race next fall. Heath looks like the strongest threat to prevent that from happening. They return all but their #3 from Saturday's 6th place team.
I'm well aware of what SVSM has. A "down year" SVSM is still better then 95% of the teams in the state. up year/down year for SVSM is like top 3 at state vs 8-12th at state.
Old 11-15-18, 06:03 AM
All World

The top teams in D2 Boys in the state coming back next year are:

#1 Woodridge by a lot. Going to be very good the next two years at least.
2. Heath . Brings back a pretty complete team. Only #3 is a senior
3. Bay I almost want to put them at #2. Better than Heath thru 3. 4-5 key
4. Eaton. Better than Bay Thru 4. Solid 1-3.
5. M. Edison Very tough 1-2. Need to get 3-7 working hard stating the day after Thanksgiving. and they could be real good.
6. J, Alder. Team comes back intact.
7. $V$M . Solid 3 coming back drop off at 4. Same as nearly everyone else.
8. Unioto Bring back 5. Probably bring back 4th or 5th most complete team.
9. Tipp Probably better than 9th. Teams 5-9 are very close to each other.
10. Shelby. Solid 3 coming back.
I will never pick Madeira for anything else, so my list stops at 10. Besides, Lexington, Spr. Shawnee and Sheridan could start from scratch and I'd put them further up the list.

Woodridge brings back the same team that won this year. + a ton of depth sitting behind them challenging. They bring back the 2nd best Junior, 2nd best Soph and probably 2nd or 3rd best Frosh from this year. The Frosh was the alternate. So, they are charging forward.

The key for everyone else is developing 4's and 5's. That's always the case. There are going to be teams that did not make it out of the Regionals that will fill in some spots. I think I had Sheridan and Lexington bringing back better teams this year than what they finished, so even the really proven programs have trouble improving year to year every year. The top 3 teams from Boardman will challenge for top 5 spots at the state meet. It just works out that way. In an off year it will be 3 of the top 10.

Bay looks as good as anyone to challenge for the #2 spot. They have the best 1-3 coming back after Woodridge, so they should feel real good about their position. $V$M brings back the 6th best 1-3, so they also start off with a nice foundation. Tuslaw takes big hits, so they have a lot of work to do. NDCL starts off with a pretty solid core coming back. Salem brings back 5, but they have a lot of work to do. I would almost bank on Woodridge, Bay and $V$M getting out of the Region. The next spots are really up for grabs.
Old 11-15-18, 07:38 AM
All Ohio

Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
Bay, Lexington, Sheridan and the other larger D2 teams have a chance to be pushed to D1 when divisional alignment comes early next calendar year. There were more D3 teams with 5 on the line at district than in the past and could push teams up. This might be more likely to happen with girls including 2 time defending champs Lexington.
Old 11-15-18, 09:07 AM
All Region

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton's Third View Post
Bay, Lexington, Sheridan and the other larger D2 teams have a chance to be pushed to D1 when divisional alignment comes early next calendar year. There were more D3 teams with 5 on the line at district than in the past and could push teams up. This might be more likely to happen with girls including 2 time defending champs Lexington.
I agree on the divisional movement will happen. Unless Lexington's girls enrollment number drop I would be surprised if they are not D1.

Lexington boys had a top 10 soccer team this past year and as in most cases for non mega schools that mean a hit to the CC team. They lose four out of top five and only have one 1 non senior boy that went under 1730. Number 5 returner had season best of 18:40. If they move to D1 unlikely will even make it to regional meet.
Old 11-23-18, 12:59 PM
All World

D2 boys next year is a great opportunity for some teams that have been on the outside looking in to put in a solid 9 months of effort to get a team out. Woodridge is as close to a sure bet as you can get. They are 3 teams deep. After that, $V$M and Bay bring back strong foundations. Tuslaw seems hit hard by graduation. Salem and NDCL are Ok coming back, but very vulnerable. Cloverleaf, Tallmadge and Springfield should be chomping at the bit to get in on the action. I would think they should have a lot of positive motivation as they start their winter training.

D2 Girls looks like it's all the same teams fighting for the same spots. Not a lot separating 4-10. Who will put the work in? There are a couple of teams that I thought had very poor tactics and strategies at the Regional that really just need to look at that for improvement. I really like what Edgewood and Chagrin Falls bring back.
Old 11-23-18, 03:52 PM
All American

Quote:
D2 boys next year is a great opportunity for some teams that have been on the outside looking in to put in a solid 9 months of effort to get a team out. Woodridge is as close to a sure bet as you can get. They are 3 teams deep. After that, $V$M and Bay bring back strong foundations. Tuslaw seems hit hard by graduation. Salem and NDCL are Ok coming back, but very vulnerable. Cloverleaf, Tallmadge and Springfield should be chomping at the bit to get in on the action. I would think they should have a lot of positive motivation as they start their winter training.

D2 Girls looks like it's all the same teams fighting for the same spots. Not a lot separating 4-10. Who will put the work in? There are a couple of teams that I thought had very poor tactics and strategies at the Regional that really just need to look at that for improvement. I really like what Edgewood and Chagrin Falls bring back.

I have been perceiving this development myself... Not sure what our next steps are, but we do bring a fair bit back. We could have a nice 1-4 next season. In which case, we would then have a major question mark at our number 5. Maybe an underclassman will improve greatly? Maybe an incoming freshman could be that answer? Who knows, but I have a feeling that the big opportunity for us is at hand. I have a feeling that the next couple of seasons will be a crossroads for our team. Regardless if we actually pull it off, which in all likelihood, we wont, but If we can get into the mix, that would be a nice shot in the arm for our program. One thing is for certain, given Tuslaw being down, I think next year is the year for our team to train to peak at regionals instead of districts, and see what happens.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 11-23-18 at 04:09 PM..
Old 11-24-18, 08:13 AM
All World

Coventry ran a nice race at the League meet. You guys beat Springfield. However, you let Springfield come back and beat you the next two weeks. They beat you at every position at the District meet when you just got done beating them at every position but 6 the week before. That has to be cleaned up. Your District is such that you don't have to worry about getting out. Even this year. The positive to take out of this year is you improved at the league meet. Next year should be shooting for better still. Just looking at Springfield, your 8,9,10 was better than their 8, so you should be bringing back a better team and you had a real nice middle school runner, but I have no idea if that's a 7th or 8th grader. Coventry should be right there in the mix. I did not put them there because you guys simply did not perform at the District or Regional like you should have. Coventry should be very positive for next season. The Region should have 4-5 spots wide open. It's time to take the next step.
Old 11-24-18, 10:47 AM
All American

Quote:
Coventry ran a nice race at the League meet. You guys beat Springfield. However, you let Springfield come back and beat you the next two weeks. They beat you at every position at the District meet when you just got done beating them at every position but 6 the week before. That has to be cleaned up. Your District is such that you don't have to worry about getting out. Even this year. The positive to take out of this year is you improved at the league meet. Next year should be shooting for better still. Just looking at Springfield, your 8,9,10 was better than their 8, so you should be bringing back a better team and you had a real nice middle school runner, but I have no idea if that's a 7th or 8th grader. Coventry should be right there in the mix. I did not put them there because you guys simply did not perform at the District or Regional like you should have. Coventry should be very positive for next season. The Region should have 4-5 spots wide open. It's time to take the next step.
Yes, we did have a couple of our guys, including captain Hartwig, getting cramps at districts, and not run as well as they could have. We also kind of freaked out about Lutheran West, who we kind of focused on more in the district race then springfield. I would like to address that going in to next season.

Kids at Coventry are getting excited about their prospects for next season. In past years, if anyone even mentioned the idea of getting to state, they would have just gotten laughed at like "nothing like this ever happens at Coventry". Which, they wouldn't be too far from the truth, its just, they seldom got anywhere because of that attitude. But Ive seen that after this season, Coventry is a lot more receptive to that idea. The idea of getting to state which was once taboo, is now being openly discussed and looked into. My comets are turning into believers.

Regardless, next years opportunity does not change what I do/my focus. My focus is getting as many kids on the team as possible, especially middle school. And then developing as many underclassman into a position where they can compete as possible. My focus will always be on the long term, so todays long shot becomes tomorrows heavy favorite. Ok, I don't know about us getting that far, but you get the idea. If things work out the way im hoping, next year wont be the teams last, or best opportunity.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 11-24-18 at 12:09 PM..