Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Football (NFL)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-12-18, 03:33 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Will he be offered enough to make up the 14 million in lost earnings? From a financial point I dont think he will come out better than had he just played and signed elsewhere next year.
If hes smart, hed retire while he still has a functioning brain and an intact body.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-18, 03:59 PM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
So he should just shut up and work/play because it's your belief he should? I'm sure him and the people around him have gone over the numbers many times. LB not playing is a huge victory for the future of the NFLPA. Owners/GMs have basically been forcing these guys into contracts by tagging them. The teams know they can save money and then not have to negotiate a contract. LB warned he'd either retire or not play if tagged. The Steelers tagged him anyways.

He may be a year older but he'll also save about 350 hits on his body and all the wear and tear from playing. Someone will offer him a pretty penny to play for their organization next year.
Ok, I'll play along...

Bell is 26 years old. I'm just going to assume he started playing football at a young age because he loved the sport, saw it as a way to earn a living.
Since it appears he's going to forfeit this year's salary, he's earned about 16 mill so far in his career, and he reportedly refused a $70 million dollar contract.

I'm not sure how you say it's a win for the NFLPA? Bell is losing money by the day, money he'll never get back, and he's not playing the game he supposedly wants to? And every day that goes by his career gets shorter?
Old 11-12-18, 04:01 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
If hes smart, hed retire while he still has a functioning brain and an intact body.
So what's the point of being a pro athlete if you retire early?? That makes 0 sense. I don't believe Bell has any major injury history? He just challenged the Steelers and they are calling his bluff. And by the way they are not missing him a lick. I think it's funny. Bell is a buffoon.
Old 11-12-18, 05:23 PM
All Yappi

BR1986FB is on a distinguished road
Somebody is still going to pay that "buffoon" handsomely.
Old 11-13-18, 09:31 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Ok, I'll play along...

Bell is 26 years old. I'm just going to assume he started playing football at a young age because he loved the sport, saw it as a way to earn a living.
Since it appears he's going to forfeit this year's salary, he's earned about 16 mill so far in his career, and he reportedly refused a $70 million dollar contract.

I'm not sure how you say it's a win for the NFLPA? Bell is losing money by the day, money he'll never get back, and he's not playing the game he supposedly wants to? And every day that goes by his career gets shorter?
On MNF that Booger guy was talking about Bell and how what he is doing is a good thing for him because the steelers just were tagging him to use him without signing him.

WHat a buffoon.

Does he not know what they offered Bell, TWICE, substantial contracts? Talk about a guy who doest know what the F he was talking about.

With that said, have to wonder if DEZ injry makes bell second guess if he wants to try and play this year.

I think Conner's season helps lower Bell's next deal, but some idiot team will pay the huge money for LB
Old 11-13-18, 09:24 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
I think he turned down those "huge" contracts based on guaranteed money. $70M looks like a huge contract until only a small amount was sure to go to him. Basically the same amount as this years Franchise Tag deal he refused to sign. And that was going to be over like 5-6 years depending on reports. He then saw others get huge contracts with big guarantees. Teams will have to decide how they'll go about things in the future.

That $70M would have turned into a rather small contract had he suffered an injury like Dez.
Old 11-14-18, 08:01 AM
All World

Bballer05
Quote:
I think he turned down those "huge" contracts based on guaranteed money. $70M looks like a huge contract until only a small amount was sure to go to him. Basically the same amount as this years Franchise Tag deal he refused to sign. And that was going to be over like 5-6 years depending on reports. He then saw others get huge contracts with big guarantees. Teams will have to decide how they'll go about things in the future.

That $70M would have turned into a rather small contract had he suffered an injury like Dez.
Gurley didn't get this kind of money until AFTER Lev had turned down the Steelers - TWICE.

there is NO WAY that any team, after what he did this year, and the fact that one more strike could suspend him for a year, will give him anywhere near Gurley guaranteed $$$. won't happen. if he would've played this year, earned his $15 mil, and then walked after the season, then some team would pony up the dough.

they won't now. he screwed himself on this one.
Old 11-14-18, 08:04 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
So what's the point of being a pro athlete if you retire early?? That makes 0 sense. I don't believe Bell has any major injury history? He just challenged the Steelers and they are calling his bluff. And by the way they are not missing him a lick. I think it's funny. Bell is a buffoon.
Yeah, retiring with money and the health to enjoy it, whats the point of that?
Old 11-14-18, 08:27 AM
All Yappi

And not all pro athletes are in it for the love of the game. Some are just looking to get paid (Jamrcus Russell) and get out.
Old 11-14-18, 10:32 AM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Should the NFL change its contract rules and make them all guaranteed?
Old 11-14-18, 11:10 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Reports were that of that 70 million dollars, 33 million was guaranteed and the first three years of the deal he was to get 45 million so it wasn't like this was one of those old deals that had much of it backloaded and little chance of getting it.

The NFL will only change as much as the players force it. The next CBA could be huge but as we see more players aer getting that guaranteed money.

Bell is a talent, no doubt about that. The steelers offense hasn't missed a beat and his replacement is doing pretty darned good which maybe could make some teams wonder how much value are they really getting?

I am not one of those who say Conner is better than Bell. No. Way. You can just see Bell's talents but there is the diminishing returns aspect of offering big deals to players. Maybe a team will pony up some big bucks for a short run but then it comes down to bell on if he will be dead set on getting a long term guaranteed deal.

I think he was going to come back this week.....until he saw Dez Bryant come back and get injured. Bell gets injured at this point all everything he has done to try and secure the big deal woulda been wasted.
Old 11-14-18, 11:19 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Pretty sure that's how it's done in the NBA & MLB, much less dangerous sports. Sounds like it's kinda arse backwards to me. The sport you risk your health the most for has the least financial guarantee. Highly doubt the owners ever go for this though.
Old 11-14-18, 11:25 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
NBA has a much higher revenue to player ratio. And MLB doesn't have a salary cap. Tough to compare. I'd guess guaranteed NFL contracts would simply result in smaller contracts.

Last edited by Crusaders; 11-14-18 at 11:45 AM..
Old 11-14-18, 11:28 AM
All World

Bballer05
no salary caps in MLB and NBA, right?

i mean, there's a "luxury tax" but rich owners could care less to pay it if it gets them stars and gets them to the post-season, etc.

that's what keeps the NFL, for the most part, a league where the playoff teams change every year. the salary cap helps even the playing field so that a team can't load up on "expensive stars".

that's why, even though they tried, the Steelers couldn't afford to pay Bell what he thought he was worth and Conner is proving that to be true. If Bell did sign his deal last year, the Steelers would be hamstrung on the cap for 2 years because they were guaranteeing him like 12-15 each of the first two years.

i'm sure there are teams that have QB's on rookie contracts that can afford to pay Bell for 2 years, but i am telling you there is no way he's getting the type of guaranteed $$$ that Gurley got. maybe a team that's dumb will do that but they better put some type of suspension clause in there - so that if he gets another strike and is suspended a year, he forfeits that $$$.
Old 11-14-18, 04:39 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR1986FB View Post
And not all pro athletes are in it for the love of the game. Some are just looking to get paid (Jamrcus Russell) and get out.
I think you have it wrong. Russell would had stayed and played if he was good enough. He wasn't an NFL QB, got his first contract back when it was big to sign rookies an flamed out. Completely different.
Old 11-14-18, 04:41 PM
All World

Quote:
Ask their union. All of this stuff is collectively bargained. They wanted less practices and less contact at practices, remember? They've always been fine with non-guaranteed contracts.
Old 11-14-18, 04:49 PM
All Yappi

They definitely need to fix the practice rules. Early season football is becoming straight garbage.
Old 11-14-18, 05:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I think you have it wrong. Russell would had stayed and played if he was good enough. He wasn't an NFL QB, got his first contract back when it was big to sign rookies an flamed out. Completely different.
I think you're wrong. Russell's coaches gave him blank videotapes to "study" the opponents defense, under the suspicion he wasn't watching film. Russell would come back to them telling how he studied their "blitz packages." Love of the game, my arse. More like collecting a paycheck. Had all of the physical tools, was just lazy and didn't love it enough.
Old 11-14-18, 05:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
They definitely need to fix the practice rules. Early season football is becoming straight garbage.
Noticed that about the Steelers? They don't seem to hit their stride until week 5 or so. Might have something to do with TheRapist getting 7 preseason snaps.
Old 11-14-18, 05:57 PM
All Yappi

Something like that
Old 11-18-18, 03:29 PM
All Yappi

Alex Smith goes down with what looked like a broken ankle. Colt McCoy seeing his first PT since 2015
Old 11-18-18, 04:04 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballer05 View Post
Gurley didn't get this kind of money until AFTER Lev had turned down the Steelers - TWICE.

there is NO WAY that any team, after what he did this year, and the fact that one more strike could suspend him for a year, will give him anywhere near Gurley guaranteed $$$. won't happen. if he would've played this year, earned his $15 mil, and then walked after the season, then some team would pony up the dough.

they won't now. he screwed himself on this one.
I'm with you on this one. Conner playing so well, along with a bunch of other no name running backs having decent years. Essentially if you have 3 solid running backs that can all run, catch and pass pro - with one being best at one of those things you can probably pay $15 mill for all 3. Starter/bell cow gets $6-8 mill, backup $3-4 mill and other $1-2 mill. Backfields are already becoming more and more committee based - it'll go further that direction than the other way.

I don't think Bell screwed himself, but I don't think anyone is giving him Gurley money. And obviously playing and getting injured this year screws any chance of him getting the money he wants.
Old 11-19-18, 10:21 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
The Alex Smith injury was terrible. AND some amazing coincidences:

- Joe Theissman had his gruesome leg break on the same date (Nov 18) 33 years ago.
- Both games ended 23-21, although Washington won 33 years ago.
- Both injuries happened on about the 40 yard line.
- Thiessman was hurt by Lawrence Taylor, the first 3-time defensive player of the year. The second 3-time defensive player of the year is JJ Watt, who hurt Alex Smith.

Borderline creepy, like a glitch in the matrix or something. The QB for Washington in 2051 should call in sick.
Old 11-19-18, 12:08 PM
All World

That was awful about Alex Smith, hoping he can make a full recovery. Crazy all the similarities with Theisman.
Old 11-19-18, 12:36 PM
All District

Deep is on a distinguished road
True. Hoping for full recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-18, 09:53 PM
All Yappi

Best half of NFL football I've seen all year
Old 11-19-18, 10:37 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That was awful about Alex Smith, hoping he can make a full recovery. Crazy all the similarities with Theisman.
A perfect example why guys like Bell want guaranteed money. Had this happened to him while he was tagged he may never sign another contract.
Old 11-20-18, 07:35 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Best half of NFL football I've seen all year
What's ridiculous is that Mahomes turned it over 5x's and they still put up 51 points.

Gotta say, if that's the type of talent that Dorsey will bring the Browns over the next couple of years, the future is bright.
Old 11-20-18, 10:37 AM
All World

Quote:
A perfect example why guys like Bell want guaranteed money. Had this happened to him while he was tagged he may never sign another contract.
Not sure anyone's going to feel too sorry for a guy who's already earned $16 million before he gave up $14 mill this season. And if anyone who plays football doesn't understand the risk of injury...heck Bell's teammate was Ryan Shazier...
Old 11-20-18, 12:36 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not sure anyone's going to feel too sorry for a guy who's already earned $16 million before he gave up $14 mill this season. And if anyone who plays football doesn't understand the risk of injury...heck Bell's teammate was Ryan Shazier...
How do you not get this?
Bell thinks he's worth more than the $14.5 mill he was due.
Because he thinks he's worth more - he chose to sit out and forfeit that money. He didn't have a contract for 2019 and beyond.

He could permanently injure himself to the point he can't play football anymore. You want him to risk his entire career for money that's "beneath his/his value" so to speak.