Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-10-18, 02:20 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
1st and 2nd with no outs, Votto..... double play......
OMG!! He actually hit into a double play? How awful!
Has anyone ever done this before in the history of baseball? Oh, wait.....it's pretty common, you say?
Then why are you calling him out for it? Wait....I know.....you must think that Joey Votto is SO GOOD that for him to hit into a DP is something that practically almost no one ever does, right?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-18, 03:27 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Read an article on ESPN today about shifts in baseball and how the batters view the popular fan adage of hitting around or opposite the shift. They asked Daniel Murphy from WAS, Kyle Seager from SEA and Matt Carpenter from STL - the consensus from all three is that a single in today's game is meaningless. One of the three noted that a ground ball yields extra bases only 7% of the time - so they try hitting line drives and fly balls. I think it was Murphy who said he tries to at least hit a double every AB because he knows a single behind him will get him around to score.

Compare this thought process to Votto's who basically has told anyone and everyone that it's his job to get on base. Interesting to think about. Used to be get 'em on, get 'em over, get 'em in - which would classify as Votto's method, along with old school managers. Some of these others guys are going with the go-big or go-home approach which is probably why the strikeout rates are as high as they've ever been.
Old 07-10-18, 04:13 PM
All American

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Read an article on ESPN today about shifts in baseball and how the batters view the popular fan adage of hitting around or opposite the shift. They asked Daniel Murphy from WAS, Kyle Seager from SEA and Matt Carpenter from STL - the consensus from all three is that a single in today's game is meaningless. One of the three noted that a ground ball yields extra bases only 7% of the time - so they try hitting line drives and fly balls. I think it was Murphy who said he tries to at least hit a double every AB because he knows a single behind him will get him around to score.

Compare this thought process to Votto's who basically has told anyone and everyone that it's his job to get on base. Interesting to think about. Used to be get 'em on, get 'em over, get 'em in - which would classify as Votto's method, along with old school managers. Some of these others guys are going with the go-big or go-home approach which is probably why the strikeout rates are as high as they've ever been.
The Reds are 8th in the league in runs scored.

They are 19th in HR's even though they play half their games at GABP.

I'd say their approach of not making outs is pretty effective.

Last edited by Indiandad; 07-10-18 at 09:01 PM..
Old 07-10-18, 07:13 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
OMG!! He actually hit into a double play? How awful!
Has anyone ever done this before in the history of baseball? Oh, wait.....it's pretty common, you say?
Then why are you calling him out for it? Wait....I know.....you must think that Joey Votto is SO GOOD that for him to hit into a DP is something that practically almost no one ever does, right?
and once again, Votto takes a strike 3.

He did not like the strike 2 call which was a strike and then strike 3 taken was right down the middle of the plate.

hitting into double plays is not common.

Votto is suppose to be great so I figure he should be able to find a way to move the runners up in the least, after all.... he gets paid a kazillion to do it.
Old 07-10-18, 07:18 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
I seriously think cramps is rahturded.
Old 07-10-18, 07:38 PM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
and once again, Votto takes a strike 3.

He did not like the strike 2 call which was a strike and then strike 3 taken was right down the middle of the plate.

hitting into double plays is not common.

Votto is suppose to be great so I figure he should be able to find a way to move the runners up in the least, after all.... he gets paid a kazillion to do it.
Right. The expectation should be that Votto never strikes out or hits into double plays. Everyone else in the league making his salary have zero strikeouts and zero groundball double plays.

Jason Heyward, Albert Pujols, and Miguel Cabrera are all making more than him and I swear none of them have ever struck out or hit into a double play.
Old 07-10-18, 07:48 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Stats suggest the only person he's really comparable in the modern era is a guy named Barry Bonds...who may've been assisted in his feats.

Of course Joey doesn't have the same amount of HRs so Vamps won't acknowledge any other stats.

The reason you don't see more double plays is because you have to normally have at least one person on base in a forcible situation with less than two outs. Only happens a few times a game. Then again, there's normally a couple double plays a game so???

The Reds pay Homer Bailey nearly the same amount to be good at pitching and he can't even make the rotation in AAA.
Old 07-10-18, 08:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I seriously think cramps is rahturded.
ya no i uhways igree wit ya!

Old 07-10-18, 08:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
Right. The expectation should be that Votto never strikes out or hits into double plays. Everyone else in the league making his salary have zero strikeouts and zero groundball double plays.

Jason Heyward, Albert Pujols, and Miguel Cabrera are all making more than him and I swear none of them have ever struck out or hit into a double play.
3 things bug me about Votto.

1) Lack of hustle on a consistent basis
2) Lack of game sense in key moments in games while on the base paths
3) Takes too many called strike 3's and then beeches about it when most of them are clearly a strike.
Old 07-10-18, 08:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
Stats suggest the only person he's really comparable in the modern era is a guy named Barry Bonds...who may've been assisted in his feats.

Of course Joey doesn't have the same amount of HRs so Vamps won't acknowledge any other stats.

The reason you don't see more double plays is because you have to normally have at least one person on base in a forcible situation with less than two outs. Only happens a few times a game. Then again, there's normally a couple double plays a game so???

The Reds pay Homer Bailey nearly the same amount to be good at pitching and he can't even make the rotation in AAA.
Your killing me Smalls! No way is Votto Barry Bonds worthy.

Don't get me started on Homer.... I wish the REDS can find a way to get rid of both of those players.
Old 07-10-18, 08:48 PM
All American

Joey just hits a three run gap shot down one with two outs and a full count in the 9th to give the Reds a 6-4 lead. Fire this man
Old 07-10-18, 08:50 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Votto making cramps look stupid again.
Old 07-10-18, 08:50 PM
All Yappi

votto!
Votto!!
Votto!!!
Old 07-10-18, 08:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Votto making cramps look stupid again.
once again Vamps comes through.

We all know before that at bat that Votto was on the computer..... that is right, he was on Yappi and got pissed about what I posted which motivated him to get that double..... I will take full credit for Votto's hit!!!!

Your guys!!!!!
Old 07-10-18, 08:59 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
The Reds are 8th in the league in runs scored.

They are 19th in HR's even though they play half their games at GABP.

I'd say their approach of not making outside is pretty effective.
I wasn't arguing one approach against another. Just noting the different approaches - found it interesting that some guys consider singles and by the same token I guess walks as useless/meaningless.
Old 07-10-18, 09:02 PM
All American

Umm can we all agree the Reds had no business winning that game? Down 4-0 in the 9th but don't quit and pull it off 7-4. Romano pitched great after the first few
Old 07-10-18, 09:07 PM
All American

Quote:
I wasn't arguing one approach against another. Just noting the different approaches - found it interesting that some guys consider singles and by the same token I guess walks as useless/meaningless.
I didn't take it as argumentative. It made me think a bit. Clearly their approach of keep the line moving is working offensively as a team.
As an individual, you want to hit HR's. That will get you paid. The "keep the line moving" approach is a selfless style.
Old 07-10-18, 09:10 PM
All American

Quote:
Umm can we all agree the Reds had no business winning that game? Down 4-0 in the 9th but don't quit and pull it off 7-4. Romano pitched great after the first few
Great win! That 9th inning was a perfect example of "don't make outs" baseball.
1 walk, 1 hit by a pitch, 2 intentional walks and 5 hits

No Homeruns.

7 Runs scored.
Old 07-10-18, 10:21 PM
All Region

Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
once again Vamps comes through.

We all know before that at bat that Votto was on the computer..... that is right, he was on Yappi and got pissed about what I posted which motivated him to get that double..... I will take full credit for Votto's hit!!!!

Your guys!!!!!
Stop trying to back track through humor. Once again, hes made you look stupid for hating on him. Hes still one of the most clutch hitters in Baseball. Its a shame your willing to let your pride overshadow true greatness.
Old 07-10-18, 10:34 PM
All American

How did nobody in the Indians organization realize they were warming up the wrong guy in the ninth? You aren't exactly talking about a decision to bunt. They admitted throwing the wrong guy...And they're running away with the AL Central
Old 07-11-18, 01:18 AM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How did nobody in the Indians organization realize they were warming up the wrong guy in the ninth? You aren't exactly talking about a decision to bunt. They admitted throwing the wrong guy...And they're running away with the AL Central
It helps to be in a division with no other winning teams.
Old 07-11-18, 06:52 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
LeBron left again so now everything in Cleveland sucks again.
Old 07-11-18, 09:31 AM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
The Reds have let a few get away lately. It's nice to snatch this one away from the Indians.
Old 07-11-18, 10:44 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
No doubt, you don't expect to score 7 in the ninth to win. Alot of good at bats that inning. Romano did struggle early, but really righted himself. I thought minimally, he at least gave us enough innings to not blow up the bullpen. It looked like it was going to be a 3-4 inning start at the beginning.
Certainly pulled a victory from the jaws of defeat.
Old 07-11-18, 10:53 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Interesting to hear this from those players, and I'm sure you are correct about this fueling the epic number of strikeouts.

Every sabermetrics person in baseball of course disagrees with them. Probably their own manager disagrees with them. Nothing is more important than avoiding making an out / getting on base.
Old 07-11-18, 10:57 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
After the first 2 innings, we switched to a Netflix movie. I figured Bauer for about 20 strikeouts. Movie ended in the bottom of the 8th, glad I tuned in. As I watched, they flashed Votto's BA of .347 with runners in scoring position. Yet Vamps complains about his RBIs. Then he smashed that 3 run double.

Vamps, when he retires you will realize that you are witnessing the best hitter in Reds history, and I'm including Pete in that statement. Just enjoy his greatness.
Old 07-11-18, 04:31 PM
All American

Good News: The Reds have decided to move Homer back to a starter in Lville. That's what he'll be brought back up as

Must be activated by July 24
Old 07-11-18, 04:34 PM
All American

Quote:
Good News: The Reds have decided to move Homer back to a starter in Lville. That's what he'll be brought back up as

Must be activated by July 24
Probably after they trade Harvey...
Old 07-11-18, 04:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
After the first 2 innings, we switched to a Netflix movie. I figured Bauer for about 20 strikeouts. Movie ended in the bottom of the 8th, glad I tuned in. As I watched, they flashed Votto's BA of .347 with runners in scoring position. Yet Vamps complains about his RBIs. Then he smashed that 3 run double.

Vamps, when he retires you will realize that you are witnessing the best hitter in Reds history, and I'm including Pete in that statement. Just enjoy his greatness.
At least I watched the whole game and did not give up on the team.

Votto was batting like 200 and some change with runners in scoring position and 2 outs... Hey he got it done. I was hoping he would as I root for the REDS and I don't root against Votto. I listed the reasons why I do not like Votto, nobody has disagreed with me on that.....

I'll take Rose over Votto any day.... just my opinion.
Old 07-11-18, 05:24 PM
All American

Quote:
At least I watched the whole game and did not give up on the team.

Votto was batting like 200 and some change with runners in scoring position and 2 outs... Hey he got it done. I was hoping he would as I root for the REDS and I don't root against Votto. I listed the reasons why I do not like Votto, nobody has disagreed with me on that.....

I'll take Rose over Votto any day.... just my opinion.
Votto is batting .345/.468/.540 with 39 RBI RISP

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: