Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 04-07-18, 09:43 AM
D4fan D4fan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-08-15
Location: At work
Posts: 2,621
D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Personally I would like to see all private schools currently D-1 or D-2 be D-1 and all current D-3 and D-4 private schools moved up to D-2. Use CB formula for the public schools although still do not know how Deer Park had a CB of zero.
Are you familiar with the many small Christian schools in Ohio who other than two or three have never competed well even in the smallest division?

I think requiring these schools to move up to D2 would quickly cause them to return to an organization of their own, outside of the OHSAA.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-07-18, 02:27 PM
Stirred not Shaken Stirred not Shaken is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-05-14
Posts: 2,298
Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
Are you familiar with the many small Christian schools in Ohio who other than two or three have never competed well even in the smallest division?

I think requiring these schools to move up to D2 would quickly cause them to return to an organization of their own, outside of the OHSAA.
Do all small privates recruit like Lutheran East, CCA, or Harvest Prep no. But is it fair for a team like Archbold to face a gauntlet of Columbus Affricentric ( magnet school ) Deer Park ( public with a bunch of transfers ), Lutheran East, Harvest Prep. I thought the most important aspect about a private school was the " education " and religious experience, sports were secondary. However if they want to drop out of OHSAA would not bother me the least.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-07-18, 02:31 PM
Stirred not Shaken Stirred not Shaken is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-05-14
Posts: 2,298
Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
Why would any non-Power 5 conference want to play in the NCAA tournament? Most of it is just the recognition of being invited. And maybe it would work out the same here. Plus the occasional huge upset (UMBC)or the unexpected tournament run (Loyola) are always possible. Maybe ML couldn't beat Moeller. But would a run to the final 8 or the final 4 be a bigger accomplishment for them than winning a D4 title? It's an interesting proposition. I wonder if any other state has tried it.
In college even the smaller schools recruit and have scholarship players. Big difference than H.S.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 04-07-18, 03:14 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 8,224
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Do all small privates recruit like Lutheran East, CCA, or Harvest Prep no. But is it fair for a team like Archbold to face a gauntlet of Columbus Affricentric ( magnet school ) Deer Park ( public with a bunch of transfers ), Lutheran East, Harvest Prep. I thought the most important aspect about a private school was the " education " and religious experience, sports were secondary. However if they want to drop out of OHSAA would not bother me the least.
Archbold lost to the first team they faced in the "gauntlet" you listed. At least name a gauntlet of teams they actually faced.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-07-18, 03:20 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 8,224
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Absolute NO to the tournament of champions. That spits in the face of having divisions in the first place.

And yes, you are right. At this moment, winning a divisional championship would be more valuable. But that would change as things moved forward. The season long journey of trying to make "The Tournament" would make regular season games far more interesting. Scheduling would become more important. The early season games would draw more interest. Also, schools that are not basketball magnets would have a chance for more success against comparable teams.
You're assuming (wrongly) that an invitation to your super tournament would ever be a greater accomplishment than winning a state title to the school, the players, and the community. Maybe it would just be better to limit who qualifies for the tournament to begin with? That also would make regular season games more important and interesting. Plus eliminate a bunch of early round blowouts.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-07-18, 03:33 PM
Stirred not Shaken Stirred not Shaken is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-05-14
Posts: 2,298
Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Archbold lost to the first team they faced in the "gauntlet" you listed. At least name a gauntlet of teams they actually faced.
Come on, really, do we have to play a game of semantics. If Archbold had been able to get past C.A. they would have faced another All-Star team.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 04-07-18, 07:05 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 8,224
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Come on, really, do we have to play a game of semantics. If Archbold had been able to get past C.A. they would have faced another All-Star team.
Come on stirred. You can't complain about teams they never played. Two of which are public schools by the way.

And I thought it was pretty common knowledge the further you went in the tournament the tougher the teams would get.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-09-18, 07:52 PM
Summa Summa is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-30-08
Posts: 1,826
Summa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
I never understood why they are allowed to play in the ohsaa tournament. 99% of Ohio views Akron SVSM as a bunch of cheaters that recruit 4 of 5 starters from outside of Ohio
I question the validity of your poll. The poll I saw says 90% of Ohio residents can’t name even one school who won a championship in one of the four boy’s basketball division in 2018. Other than some on a high school sports forum and/or those that have a little Johnny playing high school basketball, no one really cares. They have lives.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 04-10-18, 06:45 AM
Irish60 Irish60 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-14
Posts: 1,762
Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
I question the validity of your poll. The poll I saw says 90% of Ohio residents can’t name even one school who won a championship in one of the four boy’s basketball division in 2018. Other than some on a high school sports forum and/or those that have a little Johnny playing high school basketball, no one really cares. They have lives.
I think he took a poll of the voices screaming at him in his head.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-10-18, 11:38 AM
Henry37 Henry37 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-12-02
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 2,180
Henry37 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
STVM starting Lineup St Sebastian St Anthony Top reserves IHM St Paul Copley and a relative of Akron Gus Johnson, St Anthony’s, St Augustine (2). Twinsburg, Cleveland etc. No out of state players. Return 12 of the 13 Players. What happens when the STVM 2018 Football team returning 17 of 22 Starters competes for a D3 State Title?
We're just ignoring the two from Columbus? Also, when you once (recently) had a team with 3 guys who had played high school basketball in another state, I guess it is mandatory to point out that all players are actually from Ohio.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 04-10-18, 06:03 PM
D4fan D4fan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-08-15
Location: At work
Posts: 2,621
D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
I question the validity of your poll. The poll I saw says 90% of Ohio residents can’t name even one school who won a championship in one of the four boy’s basketball division in 2018. Other than some on a high school sports forum and/or those that have a little Johnny playing high school basketball, no one really cares. They have lives.
I can name all four champions and runner ups. 1- What percent can do that?
2- will I ever have a life?
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-10-18, 09:32 PM
OrlandoVega OrlandoVega is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 05-05-09
Posts: 64
OrlandoVega is on a distinguished road
Back on topic

Its simple. The Irish have kept their enrollment right under being D1 in basketball and they want nothing to do with D2 in football. Irish insiders know this to be true. If they wanted their enrollment up with Walsh, CCC, Benny, and Hoban then it would be up. But if you want the road to Columbus to go through the path of least resistance, then keep it the way it is.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-11-18, 06:52 AM
Football Fan 1 Football Fan 1 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-21-17
Posts: 143
Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoVega View Post
Its simple. The Irish have kept their enrollment right under being D1 in basketball and they want nothing to do with D2 in football. Irish insiders know this to be true. If they wanted their enrollment up with Walsh, CCC, Benny, and Hoban then it would be up. But if you want the road to Columbus to go through the path of least resistance, then keep it the way it is.
This could not be farther from the truth. St Vincent St Mary is constantly visiting Catholic grade schools in the area in an effort to build their enrollment. To insinuate that they are managing their enrollment to stay in specific division's in basketball and football is laughable. The school has a strategic plan in place specifically around how to grow their enrollment.

The Irish consistently play division 1 teams in basketball (in 2017 beat Massillon Jackson who went on to win the D1 basketball championship), and play Division 1 and Division 2 teams in football (Massillon; La Salle; Walsh; Hoban).

The Irish are not afraid to play anyone in any division in any sport. They prove it by how they schedule.

Maybe
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-11-18, 09:02 AM
Irish60 Irish60 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-14
Posts: 1,762
Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoVega View Post
Its simple. The Irish have kept their enrollment right under being D1 in basketball and they want nothing to do with D2 in football. Irish insiders know this to be true. If they wanted their enrollment up with Walsh, CCC, Benny, and Hoban then it would be up. But if you want the road to Columbus to go through the path of least resistance, then keep it the way it is.
You know, you are 100% correct! Our secret is out! STVM bases its entire school-wide financial budget and enrollment numbers SOLELY upon its impact on the placement of its sports teams by OHSAA! What is amazing is that no one has figured this out until you came along!

(Looks like USA Agent has found another screen name!)
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04-11-18, 10:20 AM
Localfan Localfan is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-02-18
Posts: 50
Localfan is on a distinguished road
It can be proven that more than a few kids are not from Akron of even the county. St.V recruits and it's OK with me. They are offering kids a better education for their talents. It's not that had to figure out who moved in to Attend St.V. Just google their names and you will see where they are from and different AAU teams they have played for.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 04-11-18, 07:04 PM
Bobby77 Bobby77 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 12-25-17
Posts: 227
Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
SVSM does not have to recruit for basketball. The kids come from all over because they want to play where Lebron played and have a chance to play for a state championship. Their phone rings off the hook with parents marketing their kids.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 04-11-18, 09:09 PM
Iwouldlike to reply Iwouldlike to reply is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 01-28-18
Posts: 26
Iwouldlike to reply is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan 1 View Post
This could not be farther from the truth. St Vincent St Mary is constantly visiting Catholic grade schools in the area in an effort to build their enrollment. To insinuate that they are managing their enrollment to stay in specific division's in basketball and football is laughable. The school has a strategic plan in place specifically around how to grow their enrollment.

The Irish consistently play division 1 teams in basketball (in 2017 beat Massillon Jackson who went on to win the D1 basketball championship), and play Division 1 and Division 2 teams in football (Massillon; La Salle; Walsh; Hoban).

The Irish are not afraid to play anyone in any division in any sport. They prove it by how they schedule.

Maybe
The fact that St Vincent St Mary beat Jackson, the division D1 basketball champion in 2017, kind of validates why the Irish should be D1.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 04-11-18, 09:36 PM
SLAGuy SLAGuy is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-11-17
Posts: 537
SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Localfan View Post
It can be proven that more than a few kids are not from Akron of even the county. St.V recruits and it's OK with me. They are offering kids a better education for their talents. It's not that had to figure out who moved in to Attend St.V. Just google their names and you will see where they are from and different AAU teams they have played for.
I'm not sure that's entirely true. StV is a fine school but there are plenty of schools in the area that are equal to or even better than StV. They are on par with most of the Suburban schools in the Akron area. For kids that are going to StV from these Suburban schools, the draw has to be more than simply their education. Religion? Curriculum? Friends? Sports? Combination of reasons?

No problem with kids going there but let's not put the false idea out there that StV is a better educational opportunity than most of the other Summit County schools.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 04-12-18, 01:01 PM
spirit454 spirit454 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 03-03-08
Posts: 330
spirit454 is on a distinguished road
With the changes to the competitive balance calculator there is a good chance StV will be Div 1 next season. That may not last long once the new transfer rule gets voted on. If it passes the number of kids moving in may decline.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 04-12-18, 03:18 PM
hammer89 hammer89 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-12-18
Posts: 42
hammer89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Albert View Post
Akron St. Vincent St. Mary should be moved up to Division I #competitivebalance
Ask and ye shall receive. SVSM D1 next season.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 04-12-18, 03:56 PM
Football Fan 1 Football Fan 1 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-21-17
Posts: 143
Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer89 View Post
Ask and ye shall receive. SVSM D1 next season.
Awesome....will be great to compete at the highest level for a state championship in basketball.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 04-12-18, 04:29 PM
Bucksfan1 Bucksfan1 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 02-02-18
Posts: 15
Bucksfan1 is on a distinguished road
What is the public crew gonna complain about next April when St v wins the D1 title?
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 04-12-18, 04:38 PM
bengals wrestling bengals wrestling is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-24-15
Location: Brunswick
Posts: 104
bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
Move them down

Cleveland Benedictine and Cleveland Central Catholic (both which were ranked in the Cleveland P.D top 10 for NE Ohio) moved down to DII.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 04-12-18, 04:50 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 48,987
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksfan1 View Post
What is the public crew gonna complain about next April when St v wins the D1 title?
StV didn't get challenged in their district, controlled their region, and had healthy wins at the state tournament.

I suspect they are going to have a much tougher district and will end up playing 4-5 reasonably close games next year if they were to win the state championship. It will definitely be a much bigger challenge next year. It could make for some epic battles.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 04-13-18, 07:19 AM
Irish60 Irish60 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-14
Posts: 1,762
Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
StV didn't get challenged in their district, controlled their region, and had healthy wins at the state tournament.

I suspect they are going to have a much tougher district and will end up playing 4-5 reasonably close games next year if they were to win the state championship. It will definitely be a much bigger challenge next year. It could make for some epic battles.
As it should be! The Irish will be ready! I haven't seen the breakdown, but will Benedictine and CCC be put in the Ashtabula district with VASJ? That would make that one of the toughest, if not THE toughest, district in the State!
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 04-13-18, 08:59 AM
C'Town216 C'Town216 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-11-14
Posts: 1,599
C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
As it should be! The Irish will be ready! I haven't seen the breakdown, but will Benedictine and CCC be put in the Ashtabula district with VASJ? That would make that one of the toughest, if not THE toughest, district in the State!


Both came from Stow and would return to Stow.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 04-13-18, 09:18 AM
Localfan Localfan is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-02-18
Posts: 50
Localfan is on a distinguished road
No problem with kids going there but let's not put the false idea out there that StV is a better educational opportunity than most of the other Summit County schools.[/QUOTE]

Right, Let correct that and say Akron Public Schools. Yes Kids mostly go there because Lebron went.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 04-13-18, 10:29 AM
spirit454 spirit454 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 03-03-08
Posts: 330
spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Localfan View Post
No problem with kids going there but let's not put the false idea out there that StV is a better educational opportunity than most of the other Summit County schools.
Right, Let correct that and say Akron Public Schools. Yes Kids mostly go there because Lebron went..

Although it is a ridiculous statement, it would not shock me if there is some truth to it.

Last edited by spirit454; 04-13-18 at 11:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 04-13-18, 10:44 AM
SeeYaSometime SeeYaSometime is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-16-05
Posts: 3,655
SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...018-19-season/
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 04-13-18, 11:49 AM
bengals wrestling bengals wrestling is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-24-15
Location: Brunswick
Posts: 104
bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
All you haters out there, enjoy the one year SVSM moves up to DI, because next year they will be right back in DII.

All they have to do for the 2018-19 school years is keep 36-38 players on the three levels (frosh, JV and varsity) instead of the traditional 45 (15 on each level) and for 2019-20 they are right back in DII.

I can't wait FOR that announcement.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Salem Youth Classic Will Move Weigh In and Start Times Back One Hour! AWC Open Wrestling 0 01-12-18 02:31 PM
The Fairless Youth Open will move weigh-in and start times back one hour! AWC Open Wrestling 0 01-12-18 02:23 PM
When did Turpin move to Bama? Username1 General Board 10 01-10-18 07:00 PM
Will both teams from canfield move on in week 13 sbfan10 Football 19 11-11-17 04:18 PM
Potential Coaches On the Move AlwaysAnEagle Football 2 10-09-17 01:32 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz