Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-02-18, 09:37 AM
Junior Varsity

Fat Albert is on a distinguished road
Move them Up

Akron St. Vincent St. Mary should be moved up to Division I #competitivebalance
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-18, 10:44 AM
Moderated User

Rusty Anchor is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe your team needs to work a little harder in the offseason if you want to compete with the champs?!?!
Old 04-02-18, 10:51 AM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Division 1 should be an open-division. The prize for winning D1 should be significantly bigger than any other division to encourage these other D1 programs disguised as D2,D3, and D4 teams to move on up. One TRUE state champion.
Old 04-02-18, 02:15 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
Division 1 should be an open-division. The prize for winning D1 should be significantly bigger than any other division to encourage these other D1 programs disguised as D2,D3, and D4 teams to move on up. One TRUE state champion.
What are you suggesting? A larger trophy, a cash prize, a tricked out tour bus for the winning team?
Old 04-02-18, 02:41 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
What are you suggesting? A larger trophy, a cash prize, a tricked out tour bus for the winning team?
Yes, a significantly larger trophy "Ohio State Champion" without a division on it. I know the OHSAA would never go for it but also an automatic bid to the national tournament in Florida..... paid for by the OHSAA.... they can afford it since they do go to Hawaii do they not?
Old 04-02-18, 03:24 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Anchor View Post
Maybe your team needs to work a little harder in the offseason if you want to compete with the champs?!?!
They have divisions for a reason. Not so an urban private can recruit the best athletes and leave the local public schools to educate the rest.
Old 04-02-18, 05:55 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
They have divisions for a reason. Not so an urban private can recruit the best athletes and leave the local public schools to educate the rest.
Divisions based on enrollment. Please take your recruiting evidence to the ohsaa. Until you do, you are just whining.
Old 04-02-18, 06:19 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
I would have no problem with the Irish being moved up to Division 1. But I would be opposed to a rule or a policy that would be applied to only one school. Set the divisions based on a combination of enrollment, strength of schedule and success, then let the chips fall where they may for all schools. But to single out one school is the wrong approach.
Old 04-02-18, 06:33 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
I never understood why they are allowed to play in the ohsaa tournament. 99% of Ohio views Akron SVSM as a bunch of cheaters that recruit 4 of 5 starters from outside of Ohio
Old 04-02-18, 08:41 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
I never understood why they are allowed to play in the ohsaa tournament. 99% of Ohio views Akron SVSM as a bunch of cheaters that recruit 4 of 5 starters from outside of Ohio
Now you're just being silly!
Old 04-02-18, 08:50 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
Now you're just being silly!
Nope
Old 04-02-18, 09:30 PM
All Region

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
Divisions based on enrollment. Please take your recruiting evidence to the ohsaa. Until you do, you are just whining.
They have a competitive balance number over 100 and 18 of the 33 kids on roster last year did not attend a similar system feeder school since 7th grade so it's not debatable what is going on.
Old 04-02-18, 10:22 PM
All Region

Krasula24 is on a distinguished road
Keep them. If the enrollment number isn’t there for them to move up, then don’t.
Old 04-02-18, 10:54 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
They have a competitive balance number over 100 and 18 of the 33 kids on roster last year did not attend a similar system feeder school since 7th grade so it's not debatable what is going on.
You're nuts, you know that? Take your PROOF of illegal activity to the ohsaa.

If you knew the state of the Akron Public Schools, especially the high schools, you'd have an understanding of why parents want a better environment for their kids.
Old 04-03-18, 12:13 AM
All Ohio

Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
From the mouth of one of its players: “I took some steps to get here,” Blount said. “I came through AAU and played for coach Dru and played for the King James Shooting Stars in the summer. I was looking to transfer from my old school in West Virginia, Linsly. I saw this as the best fit and talked to coach Dru about it and we just made it happen.”

http://www.ohio.com/sports/high-scho...o-win-1.449572
Old 04-03-18, 02:56 AM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it is indisputable that SVSM belongs in D1. But I agree with Irish60, it has to be through a statewide policy that effects everyone, it cant just be as simple as "SVSM is moved to d1".

Here is an idea. Maybe they could add a multiplier number to the enrollment figure for the number of returning athletes that were state qualifiers with the team the prior year, much in similar style to the competitive balance. So say for instance SVSM has 10 varsity guys returning next year. And so, if the multiplier for the returning state qualifier athletes was say 3. That would mean that 30 would be added to SVSM enrollment number, in addition to their CB number, which almost certainly moves them into division 1. What I like about this suggestion, is that it puts the truly great perennially strong teams, like SVSM, up against more worthy competition, however, it doesn't really needlessly affect one and done state championship teams that lose a lot to graduation and have to rebuild.

And actually, I would like to see that applied in football as well. Nothing against Hoban, but I'm not really interested in seeing them steamroll their way to a D2 championship every year. I don't mind them winning, but there was some D1 matchups that would have been interesting against Hoban as well. I think Hoban would have won in D1, but at least the games would have been better quality. Intriguing matchups. Better games. And that's really what I'm sure we are all interested in anyways, is better matchups, and some good quality games. It is upon that basis, and not fairness of public vs private, that I declare schools like Hoban being moved to d1 in football, and schools like SVSM being moved to d1 for basketball, being for the greater good of high school sports. And it is upon that basis that I make my suggestion. I just hunger for better quality games. No more SVSM steamrolling everyone in Basketball, and Hoban steamrolling everyone in football. Just more good quality ball. Surely everyone here, regardless of being public school or private school supporters, could at least understand where I'm coming from with this.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 04-03-18 at 03:21 AM.
Old 04-03-18, 05:50 AM
All Region

Quote:
You're nuts, you know that? Take your PROOF of illegal activity to the ohsaa.

If you knew the state of the Akron Public Schools, especially the high schools, you'd have an understanding of why parents want a better environment for their kids.
What does the state of Akron Public schools have to do with kids coming from Lorain, or out of state? I support looking for and obtaining a better education in a safe environment. That has nothing to do with this conversation.
Old 04-03-18, 06:57 AM
All American

Bo Kimble is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What a reliable statement.... who cares what anyone thinks. Surprised that itís never been been mentioned with all you sports fans, St V in the early 2000s explored the petitioning to move up process.... you would think this many that whined about it would use some facts.
Old 04-03-18, 07:28 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Kimble View Post
What a reliable statement.... who cares what anyone thinks. Surprised that itís never been been mentioned with all you sports fans, St V in the early 2000s explored the petitioning to move up process.... you would think this many that whined about it would use some facts.
There was a time when a certain player had ASVSM traveling the country to play anyone in major tournaments and the school officials felt that would become the normal and they would be mentioned with Oak Hill, Findlay Prep and Mater Dei, and that is when they requested to be Div 1. That reality never happened once the player was gone.
Old 04-03-18, 07:33 AM
All American

Bo Kimble is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There was a time when a certain player had ASVSM traveling the country to play anyone in major tournaments and the school officials felt that would become the normal and they would be mentioned with Oak Hill, Findlay Prep and Mater Dei, and that is when they requested to be Div 1. That reality never happened once the player was gone.
So explored? Yes...denied? Yes.... now itís a b-fest when the Irish arenít as good as they were those years?
Old 04-03-18, 08:20 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have taken evidence to them in 2012. Small school offers scholarships for those who possess skills in art, music, athletics etc. , It's all right there on their website. The school has yet to win a title so I guess they are exempt until it happens.
Old 04-03-18, 11:15 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
1 year into CB and everyone wants the next fix already. Interesting.
Old 04-03-18, 11:46 AM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
1 year into CB and everyone wants the next fix already. Interesting.
What did you expect ? IMO the best thing to do is make all the D-1 and D-2 privates D-1. Make all D-3 and D-4 privates D-2. Not sure what can be done for the publics that bring in a bunch of transfers ?
Old 04-03-18, 12:03 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
What did you expect ?
LOL. I pretty much expected people to act that very way.
Old 04-03-18, 12:09 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
What did you expect ? IMO the best thing to do is make all the D-1 and D-2 privates D-1. Make all D-3 and D-4 privates D-2. Not sure what can be done for the publics that bring in a bunch of transfers ?
Should be in the rules, if 4 of 5 starters came from outside of Ohio, you should be D1. Josh Williams being the only Ohio kid but he played at a different high school the year before
Old 04-03-18, 12:10 PM
All District

ruskin is on a distinguished road
Curious about the CB calculation frequency

Is the Competitive Balance formula calculated every year and the enrollment numbers are looked at Every 2 years? Is it possible for a team to go from different divisions every year based off their competitive balance number?
Old 04-03-18, 02:12 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskin View Post
Is the Competitive Balance formula calculated every year and the enrollment numbers are looked at Every 2 years? Is it possible for a team to go from different divisions every year based off their competitive balance number?
Yes
Old 04-03-18, 02:19 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
I have taken evidence to them in 2012. Small school offers scholarships for those who possess skills in art, music, athletics etc. , It's all right there on their website. The school has yet to win a title so I guess they are exempt until it happens.
Please either take a screen shot or post a link to the page on the SVSM website. I couldn't find it and would very much like to.

2012 was six years ago. What was the ohsaa resolution?
Old 04-03-18, 02:20 PM
All World

Quote:
Should be in the rules, if 4 of 5 starters came from outside of Ohio, you should be D1. Josh Williams being the only Ohio kid but he played at a different high school the year before
Perhaps you can petition the ohsaa to be on the rules committee?
Old 04-03-18, 02:24 PM
All World

Quote:
There was a time when a certain player had ASVSM traveling the country to play anyone in major tournaments and the school officials felt that would become the normal and they would be mentioned with Oak Hill, Findlay Prep and Mater Dei!and that is when they requested to be Div 1. That reality never happened once the player was gone.
And you know this how? What is your connection to SVSM officials, uh 15-18 years ago?