Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-10-18, 06:36 AM
All Ohio

DaPope is on a distinguished road
If he were to apply Andy Marx at Harrison does a great job. The problem is he is at Harrison where there is no Basketball talent. Probably won't be looked at seriously because of his "Record" with the Wildcats.
Old 04-10-18, 08:36 AM
All Yappi

warriorblue is on a distinguished road
There is a former WW coach that Hamilton is very interested in.
Old 04-10-18, 08:40 AM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWoodIndians View Post
Are these two being interviewed? Are they the front runners?
I have no idea.. Was just replying to a comment earlier in the thread.
Old 04-10-18, 09:06 AM
All Ohio

chlnewbie is on a distinguished road
If interested O'Connell would Excel. He's got a good Sr Class coming back at Withrow that may cause him to Pause but at the end of the Day it's Hamilton. If offered you go.
Old 04-10-18, 09:24 AM
Freshman

NKYBallboy is on a distinguished road
I just spoke to someone who said there is a Northern Kentucky coach who is interviewing that would be great at any school. The resources at Hamilton would make him a great candidate. I don’t know when his interview is or if he’s already had it but I’ve known him for a while and he’s a very good young coach.
Old 04-10-18, 05:48 PM
Freshman

RetiredCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlnewbie View Post
If interested O'Connell would Excel. He's got a good Sr Class coming back at Withrow that may cause him to Pause but at the end of the Day it's Hamilton. If offered you go.
No doubt that O'Connell is a good coach...but i could not hire him. Look at his teams offensive numbers! They are abysmal! if I'm Hamilton, I am hiring a coach that has proven offensive success.
Old 04-10-18, 06:02 PM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredCoach View Post
No doubt that O'Connell is a good coach...but i could not hire him. Look at his teams offensive numbers! They are abysmal! if I'm Hamilton, I am hiring a coach that has proven offensive success.
That could be true about Withrow's offense this past year, but anyone who has watched this Hamilton group knows that the last thing they want to do is "sit and down and guard" the other team--if O'Connell or Fleming gets the Blue to defend then the offense returning will be plenty to win 15+ games next year for Hamilton.

Withrow under O'Connell has averaged 53.8,55.3,and 47.1 this year with a very young team--defensively they have given up 56.5, 48.7, and 45.3--so even with a very young team in 2017-18 they still outscored opponents due to great defense. If Hamilton gives up under 50.0 ppg next year they can be like Princeton (44.2), Oak Hills (47.4), or Lakota East (46.6) were this year in letting defense be the key to 15+ wins--defense wins the league in the GMC!
Old 04-10-18, 07:15 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCountry View Post
That could be true about Withrow's offense this past year, but anyone who has watched this Hamilton group knows that the last thing they want to do is "sit and down and guard" the other team--if O'Connell or Fleming gets the Blue to defend then the offense returning will be plenty to win 15+ games next year for Hamilton.

Withrow under O'Connell has averaged 53.8,55.3,and 47.1 this year with a very young team--defensively they have given up 56.5, 48.7, and 45.3--so even with a very young team in 2017-18 they still outscored opponents due to great defense. If Hamilton gives up under 50.0 ppg next year they can be like Princeton (44.2), Oak Hills (47.4), or Lakota East (46.6) were this year in letting defense be the key to 15+ wins--defense wins the league in the GMC!
Sounds like you have this down to a two person race for the job. I think that may be overlooking some very good candidates.
Old 04-10-18, 08:06 PM
All World

Quote:
Sounds like you have this down to a two person race for the job. I think that may be overlooking some very good candidates.
Not at all--just two I know for sure that have been contacted by Hamilton AD--pretty sure others are in the mix!!
Old 04-10-18, 09:03 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Not at all--just two I know for sure that have been contacted by Hamilton AD--pretty sure others are in the mix!!
Gotcha. Do you know anyone else that has been contacted? Are they going to interview or just name someone like they did with Van Winkle? This job always intrigued me. They should be better than they have been.
Old 04-11-18, 07:46 AM
Varsity

GMCLegend is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorblue View Post
There is a former WW coach that Hamilton is very interested in.
Donnie Gillespie?? Has Hamilton ties for sure...father was coach at Garfield when they were a high school. Could be intriguing I guess
Old 04-11-18, 07:46 PM
Junior Varsity

baselinet2baseline is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is an interesting job too have.. Great facilities, a solid youth program, 2 all league and district players return in Howard and Robinson. Of course there is always going to be speculation regarding job openings as there should be.

One has to ask, is it time to hire someone outside of Big Blue and the GMC? Can Hamilton with a new coach and system win consistently at a high level next season?
Who is the right fit not personal choice?

I've heard a few names, not 100% sure

Pete Pullen - current assistant at Middletown, no need to list credentials
Matt Rooks - just recently stepped down as West HC
Sean O'Conner - current coach at Withrow
Fleming - current JV coach Oak Hills

It has been said that an assistant at Princeton maybe interested
Also assistant at Trotwood Madison High School..

It's all SPECULATION

Last edited by baselinet2baseline; 04-11-18 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Selling
Old 04-12-18, 08:51 AM
Freshman

I can confirm they are interviewing next week.
Old 04-12-18, 11:23 AM
Junior Varsity

Shaky is on a distinguished road
Some other names to throw in the Big Blue ring:

Scott Martin (Former St. X)
Bryan Wyant (Hughes HS)
Ryan Schrand (Holy Cross KY)
Shannon Minor (North College Hill)
Steve Gentry (Deer Park)
Old 04-12-18, 12:12 PM
Junior Varsity

bcounty1954 is on a distinguished road
I have heard Moss from Miami has an interview. This would be a good fit with the talent they have right now.
Old 04-12-18, 12:14 PM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Moss from Miami? Branch school?
Old 04-12-18, 12:44 PM
Junior Varsity

bcounty1954 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
Moss from Miami? Branch school?
Yes
Old 04-12-18, 01:02 PM
Varsity

jeddimaster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcounty1954 View Post
Yes
What makes Moss a good fit with the talent they have right now, in your opinion? I've never heard of him and know nothing about him just curious. Was he a high school coach before Miami Middletown?
Old 04-12-18, 01:41 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddimaster View Post
What makes Moss a good fit with the talent they have right now, in your opinion? I've never heard of him and know nothing about him just curious. Was he a high school coach before Miami Middletown?
He was at Middltown as a boys assistant and girls head coach before Miami. I have had some interaction with him...I don't think he's a good fit here. Not a program builder. He likes to catch on where the iron is hot then gets out when it cools down. No experience working with youth programs which VW did a great job building at Hamilton. If Moss gets the job, the youth programs will suffer.

I don't see a branch college coach at any higher level than an experienced varsity coach.
Old 04-12-18, 03:10 PM
All District

Vinegar is on a distinguished road
Bryan Wyant.

End of search!
Old 04-12-18, 03:27 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegar View Post
Bryan Wyant.

End of search!
Vinegar I saw Hughes play a team from Cleveland @ Wilmington this year and I thought the Hughes team was as well-coached as any team I saw all year--HC did a great job, and his assistants were engaged and coaching calmly the entire game and the team bench demeanor was excellent--very disciplined group.

If Wyant is interested he'd be a good fit for the Big Blue!
Old 04-12-18, 05:32 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Vinegar I saw Hughes play a team from Cleveland @ Wilmington this year and I thought the Hughes team was as well-coached as any team I saw all year--HC did a great job, and his assistants were engaged and coaching calmly the entire game and the team bench demeanor was excellent--very disciplined group.

If Wyant is interested he'd be a good fit for the Big Blue!
I could be wrong but Wyant may just be happy where he is. Theyíre the most consistent program in the metro. And he doesnít have to beat Moeller.
Old 04-12-18, 06:24 PM
Junior Varsity

baselinet2baseline is on a distinguished road
The million dollar question is will an a.d. hire someone that can coach a program that has diversity on the floor and in the classroom. Too many times coaches cannot relate to or inspire kids thus failing or stepping down for the same reasons (family)

I articulate this because I am an educator myself and I see this everyday!!

Hire someone that can inspire and has innovation, along with having a platform to help kids in college. I've seen the list of candidates rather accurate or not, does your person of interest have these qualities? If not find that guy, don't go with the norm cause that apparently has not worked.. My thoughts, good luck to whomever..

Last edited by baselinet2baseline; 04-12-18 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Miss spell
Old 04-12-18, 10:06 PM
Varsity

doon2625 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He was at Middltown as a boys assistant and girls head coach before Miami. I have had some interaction with him...I don't think he's a good fit here. Not a program builder. He likes to catch on where the iron is hot then gets out when it cools down. No experience working with youth programs which VW did a great job building at Hamilton. If Moss gets the job, the youth programs will suffer.

I don't see a branch college coach at any higher level than an experienced varsity coach.
Wow... and you know this from what experience... I've known Moss for years...watched him take a few teams with no talent and built them into Varsity players....last time the Middies went to Regional...half of the team was on Moss's undefeated soph program..Was a Varsity Assistant on that team. Coached Middies Girls to first winning season in over 25 years... Won two Championships at the Branch level with a Sub-talented team at the Branch...was finalist for two D2 College jobs...he was finalist for 1 NAIA D2 Job ... and was offered a position as a NAIA D1 Assistant (Mid South Conference)... Now - Where is the "Iron Hot"... Hamilton nor Middletown are hot beds of talent. And your comment about the youth program? Where is it now, and obviously you haven't seen his work with the Youth.(He is the Vice President/Director of Sports of Kingdom Vision Outreach which services 5th -11th grade AAU /and was Middletown's boys youth director for years/ and ran a stellar Girls youth program that has not been the same since he left... So let's just chalk this up to you being a hater...actually go and ask a few coaches that played his teams this year.... before you judge him! And about the Branch being compared to a Varsity coach... have you ever looked at that schedule ie Cedarville, Findlay, Urbana, Indiana Weslyan... University of Cumberland and Georgetown, just to name a few. Are you sure you interacted with the "Right" Coach Moss.... Ask his players at the Branch that he was able to get signed to higher program! call me if you would like to talk more Alfred Milton (513)254-1441

Last edited by doon2625; 04-12-18 at 10:48 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-12-18, 10:13 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by baselinet2baseline View Post
The million dollar question is will an a.d. hire someone that can coach a program that has diversity on the floor and in the classroom. Too many times coaches cannot relate to or inspire kids thus failing or stepping down for the same reasons (family)

I articulate this because I am an educator myself and I see this everyday!!

Hire someone that can inspire and has innovation, along with having a platform to help kids in college. I've seen the list of candidates rather accurate or not, does your person of interest have these qualities? If not find that guy, don't go with the norm cause that apparently has not worked.. My thoughts, good luck to whomever..

I appreciate your comments but I think Bobby Knight once told an academic adviser that his job was to coach and you the adviser are here for the academic part... I am an ex student/athlete... coaches don't ask you to coach/why ask them to prepare them for the classroom... where is the parents roll in all of this... Inspire? The only thing I ask that coaches don't help them cheat their way through life.... make them accountable for their grades and conduct... I watched for years programs allowing kids to slide through because of their athletic prowess... if all work together and make kids accountable - the the sport will just be fun!
Old 04-13-18, 08:02 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by doon2625 View Post
Wow... and you know this from what experience... I've known Moss for years...watched him take a few teams with no talent and built them into Varsity players....last time the Middies went to Regional...half of the team was on Moss's undefeated soph program..Was a Varsity Assistant on that team. Coached Middies Girls to first winning season in over 25 years... Won two Championships at the Branch level with a Sub-talented team at the Branch...was finalist for two D2 College jobs...he was finalist for 1 NAIA D2 Job ... and was offered a position as a NAIA D1 Assistant (Mid South Conference)... Now - Where is the "Iron Hot"... Hamilton nor Middletown are hot beds of talent. And your comment about the youth program? Where is it now, and obviously you haven't seen his work with the Youth.(He is the Vice President/Director of Sports of Kingdom Vision Outreach which services 5th -11th grade AAU /and was Middletown's boys youth director for years/ and ran a stellar Girls youth program that has not been the same since he left... So let's just chalk this up to you being a hater...actually go and ask a few coaches that played his teams this year.... before you judge him! And about the Branch being compared to a Varsity coach... have you ever looked at that schedule ie Cedarville, Findlay, Urbana, Indiana Weslyan... University of Cumberland and Georgetown, just to name a few. Are you sure you interacted with the "Right" Coach Moss.... Ask his players at the Branch that he was able to get signed to higher program! call me if you would like to talk more Alfred Milton (513)254-1441
I’m calling BS on the NAIA coaching offer or else he’d be there. A simple google search and you can find out just how interested in being a HS coach Moss is. https://douagree.wordpress.com/kelven-moss/

Give me a high school coach over one who wants to manage rappers, plan events, and all that other stuff.

also, Moss was the girls coach for what two seasons? That’s not developing. I’m also curious why Middletown didn’t hire him for the boys opening a couple years ago? He’s an alum, you say he ran the youth program, and these colleges are interviewing him....where there’s smoke there’s fire.
Old 04-13-18, 08:06 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by doon2625 View Post
I appreciate your comments but I think Bobby Knight once told an academic adviser that his job was to coach and you the adviser are here for the academic part... I am an ex student/athlete... coaches don't ask you to coach/why ask them to prepare them for the classroom... where is the parents roll in all of this... Inspire? The only thing I ask that coaches don't help them cheat their way through life.... make them accountable for their grades and conduct... I watched for years programs allowing kids to slide through because of their athletic prowess... if all work together and make kids accountable - the the sport will just be fun!
Because Bob Knights advice is what coaches should follow these days.
Old 04-13-18, 08:30 AM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
#1-O'Connell
#2-Fleming
#3-Schrand
#4-Wyant
#5-Minor
No particular order here.
AD wants Hamilton and GMC knowledge. None have Hamilton roots or past experience but think understanding of Hamilton is what is implied.
Don't think Moss, Martin, Gillespie, Kerr, or Gentry are options for different reasons.
Old 04-13-18, 09:30 AM
Freshman

NKYBallboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
#1-O'Connell
#2-Fleming
#3-Schrand
#4-Wyant
#5-Minor
No particular order here.
AD wants Hamilton and GMC knowledge. None have Hamilton roots or past experience but think understanding of Hamilton is what is implied.
Don't think Moss, Martin, Gillespie, Kerr, or Gentry are options for different reasons.
I don't think Schrand is interested in coaching anymore. Minor lives in NKY and that would be a long commute for him. I spoke to a coach in NKY and he said that Brandon Grammer, a former head coach in Florida and Louisville, is a candidate they are showing interest in and will possibly get an interview.
Old 04-13-18, 09:36 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Iím calling BS on the NAIA coaching offer or else heíd be there. A simple google search and you can find out just how interested in being a HS coach Moss is. https://douagree.wordpress.com/kelven-moss/

Give me a high school coach over one who wants to manage rappers, plan events, and all that other stuff.

also, Moss was the girls coach for what two seasons? Thatís not developing. Iím also curious why Middletown didnít hire him for the boys opening a couple years ago? Heís an alum, you say he ran the youth program, and these colleges are interviewing him....where thereís smoke thereís fire.
First of all the google search WAS 10 YEARS AGO! That you even posted that WOW!.... and then you must not know a lot about college basketball... and the job offer was only 25k full time and he has a family, can you live off of that....thirdly ... the Middletown job - Josh Andrews resigned 3 weeks after Moss took the girls position...and the 2nd time he got a call for the interview process and he turned it down because that was his first year at Miami Hamilton.... and seeing that you keep bashing him on this blog really says a lot about you, but like I said before if you would like the truth, instead posting your thoughts - Give me a call... I know you all like your anonymity.. AND if you really google Kevin Aldridge and his take over of the Girls program you will see something positive about Moss that which you know nothing about.