Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-28-18, 10:44 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
I know that's how my kids schools standard worked. I know many kids who had one or two really bad quarters during their 4 years of high school whose overall GPAs were honor roll material. I don't think that minimum is ridiculous or needs to be shamed if it happens- hopefully a blip in the radar.
Old 03-28-18, 10:48 PM
Junior Varsity

bballlife89 is on a distinguished road
Gpa is previous qrt. For eligibility. And being a coach, having players not qualify for college and have the skills for d1 but have to go juco, the 1.0 gpa requirement is a disservice to the kids. Unless you can prove a learning disability. Force a 2.3 so they can be ready for college.

My opinion though.

Hats off to deer park for winning, I don't like how the team was structured, but we have lost players to Moeller and st x for years, only to have to play them in the tournament. Either private schools should have their own tournament, or public should have less strict recruiting laws to allow a little better playing field. Just because a school is open enrollment doesn't mean all kids who apply get in.
Old 03-29-18, 11:47 AM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
I know the timing of eligibility just not what the specific standard is for the school- if it's a 1.3 for the quarter I wouldn't be so harsh in judging. I know plenty of bright, hard working kids who have struggled the first quarter with more advanced classes- bombing the first test or two before figuring things out. A cumulative GPA that low is an issue, but for the quarter it could just be a bad few weeks.
No that is a bad gpa regardless. At Marion Local I believe to be eligible for sports a student has to have a gpa of 2.0 or 2.5 and no D's.
Old 03-29-18, 04:29 PM
Freshman

Static is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youknow View Post
Everything you just said in this post is ridiculous. The fact that she only makes herself available to the new kids (which is what most of them are)is the problem everyone is talking about. Did she help kids on the team before they all showed up? Or are these guys getting special treatment? Sounds to me they are getting special treatment. Donít give me the whole their parents arenít involved speech. Their parents were involved enough to move from their previous homes and find new residence in a new neighborhood so their child could play ball for a coach. Even those ďhomelessĒ kids on the team have someone that took on the responsibility. I bet there a bunch of kids at deer park whoís parents arenít involved and donít get the resources of ms. George. The fact that deer park holds their standard to a 1.3 Gpa is just sad and setting these guys up for failure at the next level. And people on here act like deer park challenged their kids raising it from a 1.2. Are you serious? Based on what teams have coming back i would beg to differ on do being state champs next year. Of course all that can change depending on what new residents deer park gets between now and then.
More false information. The last superintendent lowered the gpa down from the 2s to 1.3 not 1.2 to 1.3 so more students can play. Again it helps the kids. The ADs board mother works very closely to make sure this team is eligible. Ms George is a lovely person who unselfishly gives her time to these boys. It truly warms the heart. If other students want support they can attend too. I donít know any other district where the ADs mother is as involved in a high school program as his mother is. Deer Park is unique. There has to be plenty of families in Cincinnati who would want this for their kids next year too.
Old 03-29-18, 05:59 PM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
More false information. The last superintendent lowered the gpa down from the 2s to 1.3 not 1.2 to 1.3 so more students can play. Again it helps the kids.
How in the world does lowering the gpa help the kids ?
Old 03-29-18, 07:21 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
How in the world does lowering the gpa help the kids ?
Well if they are practicing basketball and playing games 2-3 days a week they have less time to knock off gas stations and liquor stores. Lol.

Yea, I am with you. Not sure how lowering the minimum gpa helps the kids.
Old 03-29-18, 07:32 PM
All American

yappimember67 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
More false information. The last superintendent lowered the gpa down from the 2s to 1.3 not 1.2 to 1.3 so more students can play. Again it helps the kids. The ADs board mother works very closely to make sure this team is eligible. Ms George is a lovely person who unselfishly gives her time to these boys. It truly warms the heart. If other students want support they can attend too. I don’t know any other district where the ADs mother is as involved in a high school program as his mother is. Deer Park is unique. There has to be plenty of families in Cincinnati who would want this for their kids next year too.
How exactly does lowering the standards for athletics help the kids? What if the kids want to be eligible for D1 basketball in college? The NCAA requires a 2.3 GPA for D1 sports, 2.2 for D2, 2.0 for D3.
Old 03-29-18, 08:11 PM
All Ohio

Youknow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
More false information. The last superintendent lowered the gpa down from the 2s to 1.3 not 1.2 to 1.3 so more students can play. Again it helps the kids. The ADs board mother works very closely to make sure this team is eligible. Ms George is a lovely person who unselfishly gives her time to these boys. It truly warms the heart. If other students want support they can attend too. I don’t know any other district where the ADs mother is as involved in a high school program as his mother is. Deer Park is unique. There has to be plenty of families in Cincinnati who would want this for their kids next year too.
Another post that is absolutely ridiculous. You mean they dropped it so these new basketball players would be eligible to play right? I’ve see so many deer park supporters come on here and talk about how good they are academically and you just blew it completely out of the water. You sound proud that they dropped the Gpa to 1.3 from 2.0. Are you kidding me. All that’s tells me is it’s more important to keep kids eligible to play the high school sport than it is to get them to college. Shocking.
Old 03-29-18, 08:46 PM
All Ohio

Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yappimember67 View Post
How exactly does lowering the standards for athletics help the kids? What if the kids want to be eligible for D1 basketball in college? The NCAA requires a 2.3 GPA for D1 sports, 2.2 for D2, 2.0 for D3.
There's always Europe or the G-League.

But it is mighty strange that they made the decision to lower their academic standards for athletes around the same time they decided to start chasing basketball talent. It's almost as if they think what's important for kids in the Park doesn't really need to be all that important for the kids they bring in from outside.
Old 04-02-18, 09:30 AM
Junior Varsity

scsweeper19 is on a distinguished road
I saw this on the CHL basketball thread. Looks like most CHL schools out side of IH have about the same requirements as DP. Madeira and Reading are lower since they only have to meet OHSAA guidelines.

Wyoming: 9th/10th grade, 1.6. 11th/12th grade, 1.8.
Madeira: OHSAA requirements with a warning system if a student carries an F during weekly grade check. Second warning = ineligible.
Indian Hill was the toughest at 2.0. Also, no Fs allowed at all.
Mariemont: 1.5, must pass 75% of classes, must pass 5 classes.
Reading: OHSAA guidelines.
Deer Park: 1.3 in prior quarter. Two Ds/Fs in any two week period gets you a seat at the study table, but no loss of eligibility so long as student attends study table.