Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-24-18, 06:55 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun2Bme View Post
You sound like the guy at work who complains about another person getting a promotion over you though that person did extra things that aren't mentioned in the contract.

And all this talk of the players having pride. Current workers bounce from job to job to job. The average millennial will work 5-6 different jobs in their professional careers. College coaches and even HS coaches always move for the next best gig. Complain all you want. DP played within the rules and won a state title. Don't like it, do what you need to do to win.
That's easy to say....but not every D3 school in the state has the ability to pick and choose kids from a population of 300,000+
Old 03-24-18, 07:01 PM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So don't do what's within the rules to win a championship? That makes sense. Keep telling yourself whatever you need to in order to sleep at night. Bottom line is DP won a state title.... what did you win? Color it whatever shade you want.
To me it is not how fairly and within the rules they won it, it is what their methodology does to lessen the value of a state title, and as such, simultaneously damage those who in the past have won one through building from grade school up. Too many of these kind of titles, and I will tune out.
Old 03-24-18, 07:15 PM
All Ohio

Big Ragu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltfan76 View Post
So you are a good parent and you did (and I'm sure still do) what's best for your kids? Why would you begrudge these parents the same thing? America is the land of opportunity and these parents did what they thought was best for their kids. It worked out for them. 29-0 #statechamps #championsforever
I have said nothing but positive things about the players. We should all want the best for our children. If Deer Park was the better situation for these families, then good for them. Nobody should begrudge them of this. However, there is a process that is to be followed by closed enrollment schools. I watched a friend of mine's kid transfer twice. He sat out half the season both times. He went between publics and privates. The dad had an over-the-top vision of his kid's ability. Transferred to do what he thought was best for his kid. Didn't agree with it, but it was not my call.

Look, we can go round and round here. Not gonna convince anybody of anything. I have given the DP boys and coach props for playing hard. All you can see is my (any tons of others) questioning of the way this team was put together. Show me proof of any other team that has brought in this many transfers in one year. Proof = more than you saying "yeah but private schools recruit."

90%+ of a team is comprised of players that transferred in a one year period and you think it shouldn't be questioned. For the boys and their families I hope they are cleared. The OHSAA is a self regulatory being. They take the word of the ADs and do not investigate unless they feel rules have been broken. They tend to move slowly. Again, I am happy for the community. I grew up near that area, and have a ton of friends that went to school there. The sentiment among them is mixed. Some are pumped, some are pissed. The last word is yours. I am done.
Old 03-24-18, 07:24 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
To me it is not how fairly and within the rules they won it, it is what their methodology does to lessen the value of a state title, and as such, simultaneously damage those who in the past have won one through building from grade school up. Too many of these kind of titles, and I will tune out.
That’s your problem if you find the Deer Park team’s championship this year to be detrimental to the value of the teams who won state titles before them.

If anything, you should be blaming the fact that OHSAA has the rule where a change of address (into a new district) makes athletic transfers inconsequential to one’s ability to participate in their four years of eligibility.
Old 03-24-18, 07:30 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ragu View Post
I have said nothing but positive things about the players. We should all want the best for our children. If Deer Park was the better situation for these families, then good for them. Nobody should begrudge them of this. However, there is a process that is to be followed by closed enrollment schools. I watched a friend of mine's kid transfer twice. He sat out half the season both times. He went between publics and privates. The dad had an over-the-top vision of his kid's ability. Transferred to do what he thought was best for his kid. Didn't agree with it, but it was not my call.

Look, we can go round and round here. Not gonna convince anybody of anything. I have given the DP boys and coach props for playing hard. All you can see is my (any tons of others) questioning of the way this team was put together. Show me proof of any other team that has brought in this many transfers in one year. Proof = more than you saying "yeah but private schools recruit."

90%+ of a team is comprised of players that transferred in a one year period and you think it shouldn't be questioned. For the boys and their families I hope they are cleared. The OHSAA is a self regulatory being. They take the word of the ADs and do not investigate unless they feel rules have been broken. They tend to move slowly. Again, I am happy for the community. I grew up near that area, and have a ton of friends that went to school there. The sentiment among them is mixed. Some are pumped, some are pissed. The last word is yours. I am done.
In fairness to you, Big Ragu, at least you have provided some brevity to the discussion at hand.
Old 03-24-18, 08:35 PM
All Region

Curious One is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So don't do what's within the rules to win a championship? That makes sense. Keep telling yourself whatever you need to in order to sleep at night. Bottom line is DP won a state title.... what did you win? Color it whatever shade you want.
A trip to the final 4 with kids who have played together since 2nd grade! And no, not in this division! You keep telling yourself all those kids came to DP for the water! Slimy adults can manipulate rules!
Old 03-24-18, 08:58 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious One View Post
A trip to the final 4 with kids who have played together since 2nd grade! And no, not in this division! You keep telling yourself all those kids came to DP for the water! Slimy adults can manipulate rules!

You maaaaad, you maaaad...
Old 03-24-18, 09:29 PM
All Region

Curious One is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post

You maaaaad, you maaaad...
Not at all, I had a great experience! I just don’t like the hypocrisy of manipulating school based sports for these AAU teams.
Old 03-24-18, 10:13 PM
Varsity

Digdagdog is on a distinguished road
big RAWGOO still crying, Get a tissue son!
Old 03-25-18, 10:51 PM
All World

Vox Crusada is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
There is absolutely no difference between Deer Park and Moeller bringing in kids specifically to play sports.....both situations are ridiculous. Unfortunately legal by OHSAA standards....but ridiculous nonetheless
This post is the purest of bull spit!
A kid chose to go to Moeller as a freshman,from an adjacent county, because he has talent and that’s the best program plus a darn good education. His family has to pay over 5 figures in tuition.
Deer Park has 9 kids leave other high schools in 2 years, including Oak Hill Academy. Some of these kids falsify records, claiming homelessness, to avoid sitting out. They’re basically stealing from the taxpayers of the Deer Park school district.
Steve Gentry’s traveling circus.
Travesty.
Deer Park administrators are as slimy as Gentry.
The school board should launch an investigation.
Old 03-25-18, 11:35 PM
All Region

coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Crusada View Post
A kid chose to go to Moeller as a freshman,from an adjacent county, because he has talent and that’s the best program plus a darn good education. His family has to pay over 5 figures in tuition.
Deer Park has 9 kids leave other high schools in 2 years, including Oak Hill Academy. Some of these kids falsify records, claiming homelessness, to avoid sitting out. They’re basically stealing from the taxpayers of the Deer Park school district.
Travesty.
According to the pro Moeller posters on this site, if the transfer was any reason other than pure academics a it's wrong and illegal. Thanks for admitting it.
Old 03-26-18, 03:53 AM
All Ohio

PeterDragon is on a distinguished road
Considering you have to test in to Modeller all of there transfers are for academics. Also its very rare for Moeller or any GCL school to get transfers just for there Jr or Sr years. A majority of GCL students attend said schools 9 thru 12. If these 10 DP kids attended DP 9 thru 12 I doubt you would have people complaining about the process in which Gentry acquired this team. The Park was 3-66 in the three years before Gentry arrived.

Also the Deer Park fans either forgot or don't care why Gentry was let go at his previous coaching job.
Old 03-26-18, 05:12 AM
All Ohio

Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Travesty.
You think the board doesn't know what's going on? You think they care? It's been pointed out repeatedly at the CHL thread (I think it's supposed to be proof that everything's on the up-and-up) that the aunt of the only local kid who ever sees the floor is the president of the board.
Old 03-26-18, 06:28 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDragon View Post
Considering you have to test in to Modeller all of there transfers are for academics. Also its very rare for Moeller or any GCL school to get transfers just for there Jr or Sr years. A majority of GCL students attend said schools 9 thru 12. If these 10 DP kids attended DP 9 thru 12 I doubt you would have people complaining about the process in which Gentry acquired this team. The Park was 3-66 in the three years before Gentry arrived.

Also the Deer Park fans either forgot or don't care why Gentry was let go at his previous coaching job.
If you're good enough at sports, you don't have to test in.
Old 03-26-18, 07:34 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Travesty.
The Deer Park board approved Gentry's contract. They were in on it.
Old 03-26-18, 09:56 AM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If you're good enough at sports, you don't have to test in.
You are NUTS! Since you are so absolute with your statement, PLEASE tell us how you know this. Facts only, no third party statements.
Old 03-26-18, 10:37 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
You are NUTS! Since you are so absolute with your statement, PLEASE tell us how you know this. Facts only, no third party statements.
I'm not sure you know how proof works.
Old 03-26-18, 11:31 AM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not sure you know how proof works.
First hand knowledge. Something in print. Documentation. What's yours? Inform me.
Old 03-26-18, 12:02 PM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Travesty.
What are the rules to be able to classify as homeless ? How does DP have a CB adder of 0 ?

Last edited by Stirred not Shaken; 03-26-18 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-26-18, 12:33 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
What are the rules to be able to classify as homeless ? How does DP have a CB adder of 0 ?
Under what circumstances would being homeless qualify a student for a transfer exception?
Old 03-26-18, 01:34 PM
All District

hammer89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
CB is basically always a year behind, because divisions have to be approved before the season begins. I'm sure their CB next year will be higher.
Old 03-26-18, 02:14 PM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Until OHSAA and other state high school athletic organizations make a decision on how to handle the AAU phenomena Deer Park scenarios will continue to happen. Truth be known I'm betting the the recent college mess stems from AAU activity. AAU is the worse thing that has ever happened to high school basketball. Unless high schools start making rules to deal with the creation of AAU all-start teams at a high school the practice will continue.

But it's a catch 22 situation because we do have freedom of choice and it's difficult for the state organizations to control that freedom. But in the end what is sad is that it's the parents and legal guardians of these children that is causing all of the problems. Because of AAU they are all being promised a big payday down the road, so the parents are willing to have their children moved around like a commodity. It really is a pathetic and sad environment that has been created.

What is also sad is that these parents and guardians are being fooled. Only a small percentage get their pay day, while in the meantime all these leaches associated with the AAU are making big bucks off AAU tournaments without giving the families any of the proceeds.
Old 03-26-18, 02:35 PM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer89 View Post
CB is basically always a year behind, because divisions have to be approved before the season begins. I'm sure their CB next year will be higher.
Why would it be higher if all the team members physically moved into the district?
Old 03-26-18, 02:58 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
The argument about DP is tired- they got away with it because they can. Congratulations on your *Championship
Old 03-26-18, 03:28 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
The argument about DP is tired- they got away with it because they can. Congratulations on your *Championship
They learned it from the best.
Old 03-26-18, 03:49 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
That's easy to say....but not every D3 school in the state has the ability to pick and choose kids from a population of 300,000+
And (thankfully) not every public school in the state thinks that's their mission.
Old 03-26-18, 04:23 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
Under what circumstances would being homeless qualify a student for a transfer exception?
My guess is they would have to use the DOE rules in this regard. I'm not sure if the following is the most current rules, but it'll give an idea about how the issue is viewed.

https://www2.ed.gov/programs/homeless/guidance.pdf
Old 03-26-18, 05:27 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They learned it from the best.
Moeller - 3 transfers in 2 years to an open enrollment/private school and two had to sit out half season.
Deer Park- 10 transfers in 1 year NONE sat out, "homeless" - one interviewed on TV admitting he came there to play for the coach which is against the rules.
Old 03-26-18, 05:47 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
My guess is they would have to use the DOE rules in this regard. I'm not sure if the following is the most current rules, but it'll give an idea about how the issue is viewed.

https://www2.ed.gov/programs/homeless/guidance.pdf
There's an article on the subject at lexology claiming that it's unclear/untested whether OHSAA would be considered a "state actor." I'm not sure if this is current either:

https://www.lexology.com/library/det...d-724e6e62b42c

I appreciate the sentiment behind the law, and support it. But if no one is going to investigate the circumstances behind students "doubling up" this is a loophole big enough to drive a team-sized van through.

It's like a hydra: close one loophole and three more appear. I don't think it's a coincidence this circus moved to a closed-enrollment public school immediately after the competitive-balance regulations were passed. If schools and coaches and parents don't want to abide by the spirit of the rules I don't know how a regulatory apparatus that essentially relies on self-reporting is ever going to force them to.
Old 03-26-18, 06:23 PM
All District

humblechicajp is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Travesty.
The whole issue with the opinions of outsiders looking in is this YOU GUYS DO NOT KNOW THE FACTS, PERIOD!!! PLEASE LET IT GO BECAUSE YOU SIMPLY DO NOT KNOW THE FACTS!!! OHSAA KNOWS THE FACTS!!!! IF YOU KNEW THEM I WONDER IF THE ACCUSERS WOULD APOLOGIZE????