Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-24-18, 01:39 PM
Varsity

Impalaman
Africentric vs. Deer Park

Since nobody else started a game thread. How is the game going?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-18, 01:40 PM
All Region

coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impalaman View Post
Updates are being posted on the CHL thread.
Old 03-24-18, 01:49 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Africentric up 9 at half. Big 5 point swing right before half as Deer Park missed a breakaway dunk and then fouled Africentric on a 3 attempt at the buzzer.
Old 03-24-18, 02:02 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
36-27 at the half
Old 03-24-18, 02:19 PM
All Yappi

Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Looks like a streetball game but it's entertaining as hell. Love the pace DP is pushing.
Old 03-24-18, 03:17 PM
Varsity

llthayes19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Deer Park won 67-57

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-18, 03:18 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Its so much hate for Deer Park no one wants to mention that they won't it all..smh

Old 03-24-18, 03:38 PM
Freshman

Lwhatley is on a distinguished road
Great game and Season Deer Park Congratulations!! Over came alot of adversity this year and pulled it out!
Old 03-24-18, 04:25 PM
All Ohio

Big Ragu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by llthayes19 View Post
Its so much hate for Deer Park no one wants to mention that they won't it all..smh

Here's why there is so much "hate" for Deer Park: (copy and paste from CHL thread)

0. Mark Wise - Aiken
1 Ibrahima Athie - Winton
2 Steven Gentry - Purcell
3 Jalen Rose - Hughes
4 Julian Anderson - Shroder
5 Daniel Daily - DP
11 Austin Miller - DP
12 Deshaun Mcentire - Purcell
14 Joesph Hocker - Holmes (KY)
21 Sam Chadwell - DP
25 Damani Mcentire -Oak Hill Academy (VA)
33 William Burns - Oak Hills
35 Dayshawn Blair - Oak Hills

Per the CHL Website, the 3 true DP players have scored a combined
34 points this season. Only the Daily kid has played in any tournament
games. Getting it done with the locals. Maybe for practice only

For those w/out info on what has gone on here. At least nine transfers in the last two years. Some were classified as homeless. My understanding is that none had to sit out. The CHL is comprised of small school community teams. The kids have played against each other since grade school and have become great rivals and friends as well. All schools are closed enrollment except Reading. The "hate" you speak of could be stemming from this. A small school community league sees one of their own blatantly recruit, which spoils the unique feel of the league. There have been problems in the stands at many Deer Park games. Not with students, but with fans. This was never the case at this school in the past.
With that said, this team plays a nice brand of ball. They share the ball, are respectful, and hustle on defense. The coach does a nice job on the sideline too.
Old 03-24-18, 04:30 PM
All Region

Curious One is on a distinguished road
This is the biggest farce of all! It’s not ALL about private schools when talking about transfers!
Old 03-24-18, 04:32 PM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ragu View Post
Here's why there is so much "hate" for Deer Park: (copy and paste from CHL thread)

0. Mark Wise - Aiken
3 Jalen Rose - Hughes
5 Daniel Daily - DP
11 Austin Miller - DP
21 Sam Chadwell - DP

For those w/out info on what has gone on here. At least nine transfers in the last two years. Some were classified as homeless. My understanding is that none had to sit out. The CHL is comprised of small school community teams. The kids have played against each other since grade school and have become great rivals and friends as well. All schools are closed enrollment except Reading. The "hate" you speak of could be stemming from this. A small school community league sees one of their own blatantly recruit, which spoils the unique feel of the league. There have been problems in the stands at many Deer Park games. Not with students, but with fans. This was never the case at this school in the past.
With that said, this team plays a nice brand of ball. They share the ball, are respectful, and hustle on defense. The coach does a nice job on the sideline too.
It is a shame kids do not stick with their local school district and coaches feel the need to exploit the system.
Old 03-24-18, 04:36 PM
All American

Fun2Bme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Fun2Bme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious One View Post
This is the biggest farce of all! It’s not ALL about private schools when talking about transfers!
Everything was cleared by the OHSAA. Whatever DP did was within the rules of the OHSAA. To get pissed that a team complied with rules and won sounds like sour grapes. Did they win with kids from around DP, maybe. Check the top wrestling programs in D1, D2, and D3 and tell me how many of those kids are "in district." Same with football. How many of the tiop 8 football programs win with kids strictly within district limits??? Newsflash...Almost all state champ competitors are private schools or open enrollment schools. DP not open enrollment but they followed OHSAA protocol.

But by all means, keep whining.
Old 03-24-18, 04:45 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
It is a shame kids do not stick with their local school district and coaches feel the need to exploit the system.
Don’t make this about the kids and don’t make it about the coach. Make it about the fact that the rules allow for players to transfer with no consequence (sitting out) as long as they make a bonafide move. Make it about the fact that any public school could’ve had the team composition that Deer Park did this year. If you’re going to make anything regarding this situation about Deer Park, then make it about their administration for letting this happen. If the Deer Park administration, from the AD to the principal to the superintendent, believed this to be a dirty situation then the onus fell on them to hold their school to the standard that they hold — and they didn’t, evidently. They could’ve prevented all of this if they believed it to be a legal, yet questionable way to go about things.

These kids have been ridiculed and derided all year, with their accomplishments undermined. These are kids, after all. If Marion Local had eight basketball kids move in and become immediately eligible, would YOU want people to write the things about them (or whatever MAC school you support) that are written about on here? Obviously everything is in line in the Deer Park situation, and yet...
Old 03-24-18, 04:47 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Quick question so when kids go to GCL schools is that their local school district?

Old 03-24-18, 04:50 PM
Varsity

Quote:

0. Mark Wise- Aiken
1Ibrahima Athie - Winton
2Steven Gentry - Purcell
3Jalen Rose- Hughes
4Julian Anderson- Shroder
5Daniel Daily - DP
11Austin Miller - DP
12Deshaun Mcentire - Purcell
14Joesph Hocker - Holmes (KY)
21Sam Chadwell - DP
25Damani Mcentire -Oak Hill Academy (VA)
33William Burns - Oak Hills
35Dayshawn Blair - Oak Hills

If all those kids transferred there within the past 2 years. My question is why wasn't it a issue last year when they wasn't winning? Why wasn't everybody out front saying they were illegal and homeless then?

Old 03-24-18, 04:53 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by llthayes19 View Post
If all those kids transferred there within the past 2 years. My question is why wasn't it a issue last year when they wasn't winning? Why wasn't everybody out front saying they were illegal and homeless then?

I remember with CAPE was winning all those CHL and State football championships back in the 80's. All those kids wasn't from Winton Terrance which is where the school was located. Same league as Deer Park.

Old 03-24-18, 05:02 PM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
Don’t make this about the kids and don’t make it about the coach. Make it about the fact that rules allow for players to transfer with no consequence (sitting out) as long as they make a bonafide move. Make it about the fact that any public school could’ve had the team composition that Deer Park did this year. If you’re going to make anything regarding this situation about Deer Park, then make it about their administration for letting this happen. If the Deer Park administration, from the AD to the principal to the superintendent, believed this to be a dirty situation then the onus fell on them to hold their school to the standard that they hold — and they didn’t, evidently. They could’ve prevented all of this if they believed it to be a legal, yet questionable way to go about things.

These kids have been ridiculed and derided all, with their accomplishments undermined. These are kids, after all. If Marion Local had eight basketball kids move in and become immediately eligible, would YOU want people to write the things about them (or whatever MAC school you support) that are written about on here? Obviously everything is in line in the Deer Park situation, and yet...
First of all I did not deride any kids, so don't go their. Unfortunately loyalty means nothing in todays society, whether it be the work place, sports or in other parts of society. That is what I think makes the MAC so successful their is a lot of community pride and loyalty to the local school, that is why even though most MAC schools have OE you do not see kids moving from one school to another. DP I am sure follows the rules but that does not make it right by basically " recruiting " a state championship". And not just DP but other schools who do the same thing.
Old 03-24-18, 05:16 PM
All Region

Quote:

0. Mark Wise - Aiken
3 Jalen Rose - Hughes
5 Daniel Daily - DP
11 Austin Miller - DP
21 Sam Chadwell - DP

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you have a child go to Moeller?
Old 03-24-18, 05:56 PM
All American

Thumbs down

Quote:
First of all I did not deride any kids, so don't go their. Unfortunately loyalty means nothing in todays society, whether it be the work place, sports or in other parts of society. That is what I think makes the MAC so successful their is a lot of community pride and loyalty to the local school, that is why even though most MAC schools have OE you do not see kids moving from one school to another. DP I am sure follows the rules but that does not make it right by basically " recruiting " a state championship". And not just DP but other schools who do the same thing.
I didn’t say you were deriding them. I said they have been derided.

I understand and respect your passion for your teams and what you believe helps make them successful. However, your comment about how “it is a shame that kids do not stick with their local school district” is shallow of any perspective and one-dimensional in the context in which it is writ. Kids will leave their district for a bevy of reasons. Not always is it the case that it’s for sports. They may play sports at their new school, but it could be social issues at the previous school, issues about the school environment or other issues beneath the surface that prompt a transfer. Very rarely, if at all, is a kid transferring schools to a “step down” from their current situation.

You’re fixated on loyalty, and the belief that loyalty should be a staple of our society. I would be inclined to agree if not for the fact that no one should have to stay loyal to a bad situation or stay loyal to their current situation when an opportunity to advance yourself opens up.

Your part of the state might be doing just fine in all parameters of the ideal society. Great for you all. Maybe that’s why your neck of the woods has as many state titles as it does. Whatever it is, your experience in the MAC and the ideology you espouse are your own; and that’s fine, but when you stress as if it should be perfected in other parts of the state and denigrate the status quo of our society because of its incongruence with your worldview, you epitomize what it means to be provincial.
Old 03-24-18, 06:03 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
I didn’t say you were deriding them. I said they have been derided.

I understand and respect your passion for your teams and what you believe helps make them successful. However, your comment about how “it is a shame that kids do not stick with their local school district” is shallow of any perspective and one-dimensional in the context in which it is writ. Kids will leave their district for a bevy of reasons. Not always is it the case that it’s for sports. They may play sports at their new school, but it could be social issues at the previous school, issues about the school environment or other issues beneath the surface that prompt a transfer. Very rarely, if at all, is a kid transferring schools to a “step down” from their current situation.

Fine, sure, yep, sometimes that may be the case....but in this one?? C'mon, you don't have 10 kids show up in less than 2 years who just happen to be good basketball players and claim it's because of anything other than basketball. How many other "homeless" kids have been taken into Deer Park schools during that time?
Old 03-24-18, 06:07 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
Fine, sure, yep, sometimes that may be the case....but in this one?? C'mon, you don't have 10 kids show up in less than 2 years who just happen to be good basketball players and claim it's because of anything other than basketball. How many other "homeless" kids have been taken into Deer Park schools during that time?
Yeah, I already had an idea w/r/t Deer Park transfers that it’s likely not the case that all of them left for “social/academic/beneath the surface” reasons. Nevertheless, it all checked out for them. I was just responding to the more general rhetoric SnS and other posters of “play for your home school.”
Old 03-24-18, 06:08 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltfan76 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you have a child go to Moeller?
Don't deflect. It is a bad look, colt. For the record, I had kids go to both public and private. I still support their alma maters financially. I have seen both sides of the fence. Where my kids went to school have absolutely no bearing on what Deer Park did. Stay focused.
Old 03-24-18, 06:10 PM
All Region

Curious One is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun2Bme View Post
Everything was cleared by the OHSAA. Whatever DP did was within the rules of the OHSAA. To get pissed that a team complied with rules and won sounds like sour grapes. Did they win with kids from around DP, maybe. Check the top wrestling programs in D1, D2, and D3 and tell me how many of those kids are "in district." Same with football. How many of the tiop 8 football programs win with kids strictly within district limits??? Newsflash...Almost all state champ competitors are private schools or open enrollment schools. DP not open enrollment but they followed OHSAA protocol.

But by all means, keep whining.
The OHSAA is a joke and afraid of its own shadow. You cannot excuse being a whorebag operation by saying others do it too; doesn’t make it right. Go ahead and feel pride, just stick your sanctimony away like DP did with their integrity!
Old 03-24-18, 06:11 PM
All Ohio

playboi12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

People have a fundamental right to travel my man. However, I totally agree that loyalty means nothing. Sometimes being loyal is not always advantageous. Sometimes loyalty or the perception thereof keeps a player or family stuck in a crappy situation where there are many other options available. The reason why some of these players elect to leave their district or home school to play elsewhere is purely personal and it is really none of mine or anyone else's business. Let the CHILDREN, because that is what most of them still are, play.
Old 03-24-18, 06:14 PM
All Region

Quote:
Don't deflect. It is a bad look, colt. For the record, I had kids go to both public and private. I still support their alma maters financially. I have seen both sides of the fence. Where my kids went to school have absolutely no bearing on what Deer Park did. Stay focused.
So you are a good parent and you did (and I'm sure still do) what's best for your kids? Why would you begrudge these parents the same thing? America is the land of opportunity and these parents did what they thought was best for their kids. It worked out for them. 29-0 #statechamps #championsforever
Old 03-24-18, 06:15 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Deflect what? C'mon, that's a joke and you know it. My son played summer ball with a kid who drove 40 miles each way to play at Moeller...and he made no secret about it. To try to spin it any other way would have made him look like a fool. His 2 siblings who weren't college sports material stayed in their home district and played sports there. There is absolutely no difference between Deer Park and Moeller bringing in kids specifically to play sports.....both situations are ridiculous. Unfortunately legal by OHSAA standards....but ridiculous nonetheless
Old 03-24-18, 06:38 PM
All American

Quote:
The OHSAA is a joke and afraid of its own shadow. You cannot excuse being a whorebag operation by saying others do it too; doesn’t make it right. Go ahead and feel pride, just stick your sanctimony away like DP did with their integrity!
So don't do what's within the rules to win a championship? That makes sense. Keep telling yourself whatever you need to in order to sleep at night. Bottom line is DP won a state title.... what did you win? Color it whatever shade you want.
Old 03-24-18, 06:42 PM
All American

Quote:
This is a lie. I know with 100% certainty that not all Coldwater's football players through their recent run are Coldwater kids. Are most...yes, but I know for a fact not all Coldwater's kids were within their district.
Old 03-24-18, 06:52 PM
All American

Quote:
You sound like the guy at work who complains about another person getting a promotion over you though that person did extra things that aren't mentioned in the contract.

And all this talk of the players having pride. Current workers bounce from job to job to job. The average millennial will work 5-6 different jobs in their professional careers. College coaches and even HS coaches always move for the next best gig. Complain all you want. DP played within the rules and won a state title. Don't like it, do what you need to do to win.
Old 03-24-18, 06:52 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
Deflect what? C'mon, that's a joke and you know it. My son played summer ball with a kid who drove 40 miles each way to play at Moeller...and he made no secret about it. To try to spin it any other way would have made him look like a fool. His 2 siblings who weren't college sports material stayed in their home district and played sports there. There is absolutely no difference between Deer Park and Moeller bringing in kids specifically to play sports.....both situations are ridiculous. Unfortunately legal by OHSAA standards....but ridiculous nonetheless
Nothing wrong with driving 40 miles to go to Moeller. kinda dumb in my book, but nothing wrong with it. Per OHSAA.