Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-25-18, 01:52 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
I would bet that a lot of ML's kids work in some capacity in farm labor, whether it's a family farm, being a seasonal laborer for a major landowner, or doing something related to machinery/equipment maintenance.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-18, 02:12 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
Two things are repeated over and over to avoid poverty for your children. First, keep the family intact, second, responsibility to provide via a job. I think both of those are accomplished at higher than average rates in MAC country.
I would imagine that many families in the MAC area form after marriage. I would suspect that probably 95% of MAC kids grow up in a household with their mother and father. Not mom and a boyfriend, not Ďjust momí, not some other arrangement of legal guardianship. This canít be overlooked, I believe. Not necessarily saying every mom-and-dad household is perfect or that one canít be successful with absence of parents in their home lives, but if nothing else there are social and structural advantages to having two adults in the house that can provide for their childís wellbeing and needs.
Old 03-25-18, 02:16 PM
All American

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
I would imagine that many families in the MAC area form after marriage. I would suspect that probably 95% of MAC kids grow up in a household with their mother and father. Not mom and a boyfriend, not Ďjust momí, not some other arrangement of legal guardianship. This canít be overlooked, I believe. Not necessarily saying every mom-and-dad household is perfect or that one canít be successful with absence of parents in their home lives, but if nothing else there are social and structural advantages to having two adults in the house that can provide for their childís wellbeing and needs.
Probably closer to 75% but still higher than average.
Old 03-25-18, 07:36 PM
All District

CJK84 is on a distinguished road
^^^ I also think geographic proximity to extended family helps a little. Many MAC families live in the town that one or both of the parents grew up in, so quite a few immediate relatives often live fairly close by.

Most kids will work harder at a sport knowing that aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents will be at the games cheering them on. It feels good to feel special.

And by saying this I don't mean to make the MAC communities out to be unique, idyllic places that are superior to everywhere else, but some of the "outdated" family conditions in our towns seem to help the hs sports teams.
Old 03-25-18, 07:39 PM
All District

CJK84 is on a distinguished road
CC looked more athletic than ML, but the difference was less than I had anticipated.

Not a particularly keen insight I realize, but I felt like saying that.

And I was impressed by the CC kids' composure and class. They had to be very frustrated to lose this game, but showed good character through it all.
Old 03-25-18, 08:04 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK84 View Post
^^^ I also think geographic proximity to extended family helps a little. Many MAC families live in the town that one or both of the parents grew up in, so quite a few immediate relatives often live fairly close by.

Most kids will work harder at a sport knowing that aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents will be at the games cheering them on. It feels good to feel special.

And by saying this I don't mean to make the MAC communities out to be unique, idyllic places that are superior to everywhere else, but some of the "outdated" family conditions in our towns seem to help the hs sports teams.
I actually find that to be pretty common in most small towns.
Old 03-25-18, 08:07 PM
Freshman

MFSportsFan
To understand how 'rural' the Marion Local school district is, consider this:
- There is not a single stop light in the entire school district
- There is not a single fast food restaurant in the entire school district

It is made up of 6 small very small towns with 6 Catholic churches (plus the Maria Stein Relic Chapel) and 5 drinking establishments.
Old 03-25-18, 09:47 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFSportsFan View Post
To understand how 'rural' the Marion Local school district is, consider this:
- There is not a single stop light in the entire school district
- There is not a single fast food restaurant in the entire school district

It is made up of 6 small very small towns with 6 Catholic churches (plus the Maria Stein Relic Chapel) and 5 drinking establishments.
Only 5? I smell an opportunity....
Old 03-25-18, 10:08 PM
All American

FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
CC looked more athletic than ML, but the difference was less than I had anticipated.

And I was impressed by the CC kids' composure and class. They had to be very frustrated to lose this game, but showed good character through it all.
Well stated. Totally agree.
Old 03-25-18, 10:50 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Only 5? I smell an opportunity....
Partners?
Old 03-26-18, 08:15 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Partners?
It's a running joke around here.... every Catholic church has a bar across the street. German Catholics and beer go together like milk and cookies.
Old 03-26-18, 08:31 AM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I agree, ML's ability to handle CCA's full court pressure and score easy baskets from it I thought was the key to the Flyers victory. Neither team was very good in the half court offense.
Old 03-26-18, 09:31 AM
All District

thereckoning is on a distinguished road
CCA was certainly a class act. Sadly, that was likely their coach's last game (from what the rumor mill says). And he didn't particularly coach well, in my opinion. Many of the "excuses" being posted on here from CCA fans/backers are truthful. Poor execution on trapping the ball. Bad clock management. Poor shot quality with the lead. Bad use of playing stall ball. Bad use of fouls in situational ball down the stretch. CCA simply got outcoached.

That said, their coach was the most humble person on the floor after the game, taking the time to walk around, congratulate the team, hug individuals, and talk to the press with humility. He did a great service to that school and those kids.

But, bottom line is ML got it done. Excellent coaches at MSML. They will be contenders in multiple sports for years to come. Hats off.
Old 03-26-18, 01:50 PM
Junior Varsity

jlghoops is on a distinguished road
Bottom line it was one of the best Championship games I have seen in years. Didnt have a dog in the fight and enjoyed every minute of the four quarter and ot's. I re-watched it on TV when I got home yesterday and it was still fun to watch.

Congrats to ML, well deserved title
Old 03-28-18, 01:19 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
I don't know how the competitive balance works but....

how can a school have an enrollment of 42 but competitive balance of 86? or close to that....
Old 03-28-18, 01:36 PM
All Yappi

A huge percentage of enrollment would have to reside outside of the boundaries of whatever is designated as their "district" (Willoughby?).

Old 03-28-18, 01:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
A huge percentage of enrollment would have to reside outside of the boundaries of whatever is designated as their "district" (Willoughby?).

With that difference between actual and CB did they have ANY boys who resided in the district?

THat just doesn't seem feasible but I guess schools outside our immediate area are much more different than we see.
THankfully
Old 03-28-18, 02:01 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
With that difference between actual and CB did they have ANY boys who resided in the district?

THat just doesn't seem feasible but I guess schools outside our immediate area are much more different than we see.
THankfully
With that high of CB count, I would say most of their bball players resided outside of their district.
Old 03-28-18, 02:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

THankfully
I think it essentially means that a lot of kids didn't go to their designated "feeder" (believable, IMO for a small urban Christian school) or showed up in 9th grade or later (also believable, IMO, even for non-athletes). Depending on the condition, I believe either of the above result in a CB adjustment of +1 or +5 for basketball. I would bet that even with non-athletes, they have a lot of +5s.

I believe that Willoughby is a fairly small suburb east of Cleveland, both in geographic and population size. Smaller D1 high school, I believe. Probably about the same size as say a Troy. I would bet CCA has a ton of legit students from fairly close by larger suburbs such as Mentor.

Last edited by nwwarrior09; 03-28-18 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-31-18, 10:04 PM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is not the gridiron.

CC wins easily.

Stop being a MAC homer.
just checked in on this Thread....you are NO Stukenburg in predicting games...
Old 03-31-18, 10:17 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
That's MAC country for you. They do not make excuses, whine about private schools recruiting, nor do they get intimidated against schools that have the resume like Stirred not Shaken was describing. CCA probably thought that because of their very impressive accomplishments this season, they had the state title in the bag; a huge mistake against a MAC country school. This game, and this flyers team exemplifies the reason why I like to regard the schools in the MAC as the gold standard for public schools. I'm typically a northeast Ohio homer, but I have a soft spot for MAC schools. They represent how things were once upon a time in high school sports. Where communities took great pride in their local high school football teams. Where the players where so inspired by their pride in their small town community that they would not leave their community school district to form an all star team, but rather, to compete together with fellow athletes and represent their community, in victory or defeat. And then on Friday nights, the entire community would rally around the games, in victory or defeat. Communities which would otherwise be obscure, would get their time on the map, if their local team was successful. No, I recognize those days are long gone now. But still, MAC country is an echo of those days. Of what high school sports used to be.
that is about as good as I've ever heard it explained....
Old 03-31-18, 10:19 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmsc View Post
It was ONE kid, #10 trying to be the star of the show without playing one second. It was pretty obvious what the clown #10 for ML was up to.
wasn't at the game....but I thought what was going on at the end of the bench...was GREAT....at least what I've seen in replays.....
Old 03-31-18, 10:30 PM
All World

Quote:
ML coach Kurt Goettemoeller was probably also a difference maker for Marion against CC - excellent x's and o'x guy who relates well to his staff and to his players.

He deserves a significant degree of the credit.
Big hand to Coach G, great guy, great teacher(AT Minster), past couple of years has taken some grief from the Flyer Faithful, but the Marion Grad stuck with it, and did a hellva JOB this year
Old 04-01-18, 11:15 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
Big hand to Coach G, great guy, great teacher(AT Minster), past couple of years has taken some grief from the Flyer Faithful, but the Marion Grad stuck with it, and did a hellva JOB this year
Yes he did ( take grief for previous years ) and I was one of them, with talent comes big expectations. However congratulations on a job well done this season.
Old 04-03-18, 12:59 PM
Varsity

mike45069 is on a distinguished road
Marion local swag

I had never seen Marion local, or anyone from their conference until I went to Kettering to watch them in their regional semi. Both teams, it was amazing to see towns come together like that, very cool. Being from Butler County I had never had a chance to see them. Now I'm a fan! Does anyone know where I could buy a Marion local tshirt?
Old 04-03-18, 01:17 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike45069 View Post
I had never seen Marion local, or anyone from their conference until I went to Kettering to watch them in their regional semi. Both teams, it was amazing to see towns come together like that, very cool. Being from Butler County I had never had a chance to see them. Now I'm a fan! Does anyone know where I could buy a Marion local tshirt?
Village Sports Shop in Chickasaw, OH. Probably can find their phone no. on the internet.
Old 04-03-18, 01:58 PM
All Yappi

Look up mvp sports and you will find em. Not sure you can order online though
Old 04-03-18, 02:06 PM
All American

Quote:
Yes it is called MVP now, old age kicking in.
Old 04-03-18, 03:12 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Haven't been to Chickasaw for years....you're saying they still don't have internet?
Old 04-03-18, 04:15 PM
All Region

big medicine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike45069 View Post
You don't happen to know a guy calling himself hoser, also from Butler County, do you ? He has been doubting our description of community support in the MAC area for years.