Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-24-18, 12:12 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Classic and clutch! Was going crazy great job flyers and mac!!!

Local radio said flyers had more fast break points?

Always great to see home grown talent win it all!
Old 03-24-18, 12:59 PM
All District

CleveHoopFan08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
And there was the pass across court for the corner 3 by Bruns to get it to the second OT. With fouls to give to boot, one coach out coached the other by a large margin IMO.
Absolutely concur. How do you have all of those athletes and that pass still gets there??
Old 03-24-18, 01:00 PM
All District

CleveHoopFan08 is on a distinguished road
I had no idea that was Selle's last game. His assistant is taking over...
Old 03-24-18, 01:05 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
I watched the game on tv so you don't get that same in game feel. It seemed to me CCA took this team for granted and never actually thought they could loose. ML played hard and derseved the win. Looks like they really wanted it more. To blame the refs is weak. CCA did not play they way I saw them play several times this season. That is why they play the games. Very entertaining game to watch. When you play sloppy and let the game stay close anything can happen - and it did.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 03-24-18, 01:12 PM
All American

FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Congrats to both CCA & ML for a great HS basketball game. Both teams played hard with respect and class. Tough game for either team to lose. Ultimately Bruns and Mescher just made one more big play than Bothwell. What a game.
Old 03-24-18, 01:14 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Congrats to Marion Local, great game... GREAT TEAM!!!!

Go MAC!
Old 03-24-18, 01:17 PM
All District

thereckoning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Classic and clutch! Was going crazy great job flyers and mac!!!

Local radio said flyers had more fast break points?

Always great to see home grown talent win it all!
Guess “there was a chance”

Rough game. As in physical. Awesome outcome. Just goes to show you, you can recruit Cleveland and Canada, but that doesn’t mean you will win.

Congrats flyers.
Old 03-24-18, 01:43 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
I could only listen on radio. From hearing the action and listening to the announcer, lots of poor decisions and coaching by CCA, especially late. Not surprised ML won, CCA was certainly not dominant vs Hiland on Thursday and ML is a pretty good team. And I kinda wonder, how good were all those big time teams CCA played.
Old 03-24-18, 01:52 PM
All American

FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay Fan View Post
I could only listen on radio. From hearing the action and listening to the announcer, lots of poor decisions and coaching by CCA, especially late. Not surprised ML won, CCA was certainly not dominant vs Hiland on Thursday and ML is a pretty good team. And I kinda wonder, how good were all those big time teams CCA played.
Only coaching decision that jumped out at me was CCA holding the ball up 5 with 2:45 or so left. Although I would normally agree with that strategy, CCA just didn't look comfortable doing it, and in the end they just had 2-3 empty possessions which gave ML a chance to get back in it. I haven't seen much of CCA this year, but I'm guessing holding the ball isn't something that they did regularly.
Old 03-24-18, 01:56 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lep2002 View Post
I agree..but those calls on the perimeter against Cornerstone really hurt. It led to easy free throws in a game where neither team could score. It was just a very disappointing conclusion.

I think the officials went into the game with mindset of allowing them to bang underneath but to call it really close on the perimeter. That dramatically tilted the game in Marion’s favor.
Didn't see this game, and it's a shame I didn't because it sounded like a great one, but the 2 tournament games I saw in person this year (1 girls, 1 boys) were officiated the same way. Any contact in the backcourt was called but the only way to get a call in the frontcourt was if the offending player drew blood.

According to the OHSAA's website, Marion Local joins Marion Pleasant (72-73), St. Henry (90-91), and Cleveland Benedictine (96-97) as the only schools to win both football and basketball in the same school year. Trotwood-Madison will have a chance to join that group later today.
Old 03-24-18, 01:56 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootsWalker View Post
Only coaching decision that jumped out at me was CCA holding the ball up 5 with 2:45 or so left. Although I would normally agree with that strategy, CCA just didn't look comfortable doing it, and in the end they just had 2-3 empty possessions which gave ML a chance to get back in it. I haven't seen much of CCA this year, but I'm guessing holding the ball isn't something that they did regularly.

The announcer mentioned CCA only having one foul late in regulation and not using them to disrupt ML's offense in the final seconds. Also CCA jacked up a couple 3's in overtime with a 2 point lead. I think your comment about them being uncomfortable is spot on.
Old 03-24-18, 02:26 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootsWalker View Post
This is what got me, with about 1:30 left in the 3rd Bruns picked up his 3rd foul and went to the bench, CCA held the ball for the rest of the qtr.... Why not take advantage of ML's big being out????
Old 03-24-18, 03:04 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Didn't see this game, and it's a shame I didn't because it sounded like a great one, but the 2 tournament games I saw in person this year (1 girls, 1 boys) were officiated the same way. Any contact in the backcourt was called but the only way to get a call in the frontcourt was if the offending player drew blood.

According to the OHSAA's website, Marion Local joins Marion Pleasant (72-73), St. Henry (90-91), and Cleveland Benedictine (96-97) as the only schools to win both football and basketball in the same school year. Trotwood-Madison will have a chance to join that group later today.
That's a pretty short list. Congratulations to the Maria Stein boys.
Old 03-24-18, 03:50 PM
All American

gcmsc
Too bad that #10 for ML who sat on the pines the whole time, got more air time than anyone else with his "look at me" look stupid on the bench antics, What an a.. Guys getting pub for not playing a minute is ridiculous.
Old 03-24-18, 04:01 PM
All American

gneiss rocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmsc View Post
Too bad that #10 for ML who sat on the pines the whole time, got more air time than anyone else with his "look at me" look stupid on the bench antics, What an a.. Guys getting pub for not playing a minute is ridiculous.
They have no control over what gets put on TV. They work their but off in practice knowing they will likely not see the court until next year...

Maybe they were just having fun and doing what they could to keep the team loose... Do the foul shots roll in at the end if our starters are not loose??? Then again maybe he was our best player who we save for the really close games?
Old 03-24-18, 04:11 PM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I enjoy him and the rest of the Flyers bench almost as much as I do the ball games just told my wife that very thing. Flyers bench has been like that all season what is wrong with enjoying yourself. I think his teammates enjoy it as well.
Old 03-24-18, 04:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3out2in View Post
Terrible coaching by Selle. Should have trapped Marion’s guards in the half court and not once did they post Bothwell up against #22. Did he really believe 5 was not going to shoot the 3 at the end of 1st OT? Also, far too often he had #4, 11 and 15 on the floor at the same time. They are walking turnover machines. Marion had a far better game plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was very good execution, good cross court inbounds pass and than to knock down the 3 not an easy shot. Rebounding won both tourney games for the Flyers sort of surprised CCA relies on Bothwell so much. IMO the physical play did benefit ML quite a bit.
Old 03-24-18, 04:33 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
C'mon....you can't be serious.....

Total Fouls: Cornerstone 11
Marion Local 13

FT's Cornerstone 11-13
M-L 5-7

REBOUNDS M-L 37
C-stone 24

ASSISTS M-L 14
C-Stone 7

They got beat by a better team.....I know it's hard for people to believe that...but it happened!!!
The stats tell the tale. Blaming coaching, lack of effort or especially refs who called almost no fouls on cornerstone is ridiculous.
Cornerstone tried the trap early and got killed with flyers getting ez layups...the coach made a great change. In a interview after the game he said they have played and practice against everything but you can not duplicate how strong the flyers were down low.
Everyone has a plan until they lean into Mesher.
Old 03-24-18, 04:40 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by gneiss rocks View Post
The stats tell the tale. Blaming coaching, lack of effort or especially refs who called almost no fouls on cornerstone is ridiculous.
Cornerstone tried the trap early and got killed with flyers getting ez layups...the coach made a great change. In a interview after the game he said they have played and practice against everything but you can not duplicate how strong the flyers were down low.
Once ML broke CCA's pressure it led to easy lay up's for Mescher, CCA did a very good job in half court defense what won the game for ML was slowing down Bothwell and rebounding.
Old 03-24-18, 04:43 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
That's a pretty short list. Congratulations to the Maria Stein boys.
That is Marion Local boys to you, as one of the star players is from Chickasaw, as Maria Stein is a suburb of Chickasaw.
Old 03-24-18, 04:51 PM
All American

The Bothwell kid is a class act...one of the best, most humble post game interviews I'v ever seen.

If someone finds it...
Old 03-24-18, 05:00 PM
All World

3out2in is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gneiss rocks View Post

IMO Selle should have trapped MLís guards in the half court not full court. It would have forced them to attempt passes they didnít want to make. It also would have forced Mescher & Bruns to come higher to get the ball, not just catch it mid lane. No plan B today.

Old 03-24-18, 05:35 PM
All American

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
That is Marion Local boys to you, as one of the star players is from Chickasaw, as Maria Stein is a suburb of Chickasaw.
Lol
Old 03-24-18, 05:56 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Lol...wow, somebody pi$$ in your cereal this morning? They are kids having fun....get a life
Old 03-24-18, 07:14 PM
All American

gcmsc
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
Lol...wow, somebody pi$$ in your cereal this morning? They are kids having fun....get a life
It was ONE kid, #10 trying to be the star of the show without playing one second. It was pretty obvious what the clown #10 for ML was up to.
Old 03-24-18, 07:15 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It was ONE kid, #10 trying to be the star of the show without playing one second. It was pretty obvious what the clown #10 for ML was up to.
Here’s an idea: BLAME THE TV PRODUCERS/CAMERAMEN. The student wasn’t the one directing the cameras and what was put on TV.
Old 03-24-18, 07:21 PM
All District

CJK84 is on a distinguished road
Bothwell was the best player on the court, but Bruns and Mescher played really well also.

ML's d intensity and significant rebounding advantage of 37-24 were a big part of the difference (that difference being only a single point of course).

Unless it's at the very end of a quarter, I feel stall-ball often hurts the offense (in this case Cornerstone) as much as it helps them. Cornerstone did not have good flow at times - too much stalling - too reliant on Bothwell - too much standing around by the other guys waiting for Bothwell to take over nearly every possession.

Great game to watch - both teams played hard and showed class.
Old 03-24-18, 07:25 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Lol....maybe it's because he was happy for HIS BUDDIES THAT HE'S KNOWN FOR 18 YEARS winning a state title....something Cornerstone would have no idea about since most of those guys have known each other for a year and a half You have no idea what it's like to be a part of a small town team like that...the kid may have not played a minute since 7th grade, but he's practiced his off everyday....if he wants to dance, go for it. Maybe you can ask him if you can hold his state championship medal for a little bit so you'll feel better
Old 03-24-18, 07:27 PM
Freshman

Fredpop is on a distinguished road
Th coach has encouraged the bench all year to have fun and keep the team loose. #10 is actually a very good shooter and played the role of Bothwell in practice. Itís about a lot more than what you see at the game. It takes everyone in game and practice to make a successful team.

Old 03-24-18, 07:31 PM
All District

CJK84 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He's a down-the-bench backup player having fun and supporting his team by dancing.

The other players liked it - and the entire coaching staff fully supported him. Seems kind of cool to me.