Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-19-18, 08:25 AM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Hoover Coach Resigns

Blackledge bails out after 4-19 season.

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/2018...sketball-coach
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-18, 08:56 AM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
I work with a Hoover parent, and she said that many saw this coming, and actually mentioned it a few weeks ago as a possibility. She wasn't saying it's good or bad, just that it was not not a big surprise in the community.
Old 03-19-18, 09:18 AM
All District

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Hairston should apply.
Old 03-19-18, 09:47 AM
All District

Ohio Proud 64 is on a distinguished road
Hackenberg is interested
Old 03-19-18, 09:51 AM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
We'll have a full time basketball coach again. Next year already looks more promising.
Old 03-19-18, 09:59 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
You mean I no longer get to read "ESPN college football analyst" before every mention of the next basketball coach's name in the Rep? Shucks!
Old 03-19-18, 10:25 AM
All Ohio

WhatsupDoc
They need to go outside the program and hire someone with Head Coaching experience. Look what happens when they don't hire someone who has been a head coach. A Federal league school is not where you should be getting on the Job training. They need someone who can devote a lot of time to the program. You have a talented frosh class, it would be a shame to see it wasted. Expectations are pretty high for that group.
Good Luck to whoever gets it.
Old 03-19-18, 10:28 AM
All American

Bo Kimble is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Proud 64 View Post
Hackenberg is interested
1st thought I had
Old 03-19-18, 11:06 AM
All District

doublestack is on a distinguished road
Doesn’t Hackenberg have a job at GlenOak- or did I miss something?
Old 03-19-18, 11:33 AM
All District

Ohio Proud 64 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublestack View Post
Doesn’t Hackenberg have a job at GlenOak- or did I miss something?
Should we say he doesn't seem to like it his surroundings.
Old 03-19-18, 11:44 AM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Proud 64 View Post
Should we say he doesn't seem to like it his surroundings.
Gee I wonder why?
Old 03-19-18, 11:48 AM
All District

doublestack is on a distinguished road
Interesting! I thought GlenOak was supposed to have some real good classes coming. Wasn’t an 8th grade team undefeated or close to it and wasn’t their 9th grade class pretty talented? Wonder why he would want to leave all that....
Old 03-19-18, 12:18 PM
Junior Varsity

buchtalgriffs is on a distinguished road
Bring back Randy Montgomery
Old 03-19-18, 12:19 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Boy would it be interesting to revisit this thread from a few years ago when they fired Monty and hired the color analyst. A lot of “told you so’s” would be validated
Old 03-19-18, 12:26 PM
All Ohio

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
Boy would it be interesting to revisit this thread from a few years ago when they fired Monty and hired the color analyst. A lot of “told you so’s” would be validated
Although I some what agree, I don't think he'd had left if he didn't have more important issues to handle on his home front? He should put his efforts 100% giving his son the attention he needs, IMO.
Old 03-19-18, 01:26 PM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Kimble View Post
1st thought I had
Will North Canton take another shot with a non-educator? If they do, will they pony up the $60-$70K for a full-time job just as GlenOak did when it hired Hackenberg?

Not a bad choice and not a bad fit but, logistically, I am not sure Hoover will come to the table with that much money for, essentially, a full-time basketball coach.
Old 03-19-18, 01:29 PM
All Ohio

Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
Will North Canton take another shot with a non-educator? If they do, will they pony up the $60-$70K for a full-time job just as GlenOak did when it hired Hackenberg?

Not a bad choice and not a bad fit but, logistically, I am not sure Hoover will come to the table with that much money for, essentially, a full-time basketball coach.
What does Hack do besides coach to "earn" $60+K? Coaching contracts are board approved and based on a negotiated agreement. What other gig did they give him?
Old 03-19-18, 01:34 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublestack View Post
Interesting! I thought GlenOak was supposed to have some real good classes coming. Wasn’t an 8th grade team undefeated or close to it and wasn’t their 9th grade class pretty talented? Wonder why he would want to leave all that....
This leads to a (potentially) interesting question. In my opinion, in terms of likelihood of regular post-season success, I think McKinley and Jackson are the top 2 jobs in the league. Every school can have that great team once in a while but in terms of being able to keep it rolling year-in-and-year-out, I think those two have the edge by far. So, of the rest, and specifically comparing GlenOak and Hoover, which is the better basketball job?

GlenOak is bigger, has been to Columbus, has a more diverse population (though Hoover will change in the next 15-20 years) and can easily establish a pipeline of transfers from McKinley if the dynamics are right (or wrong, depending on your point of view). Hoover is more affluent, easier to raise money, more community feel, more support and easier to attract most other transfers to it. I think you are more likely to get to the Final Four and have more regular winning campaigns at GlenOak (though the always prevalent thought that they will be the next or "new" McKinley is, in my opinion, overblown). However, from an ease standpoint and a job satisfaction standpoint, if he wants to be somewhere for 20+ years, I think Hoover gets the nod.

Just an outsiders perspective.
Old 03-19-18, 01:37 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Very interesting!! Noted: Dean of Students
Old 03-19-18, 01:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfan247 View Post
Again, I think he was dean of students, which is a common position for coaches in schools.

However, I think any school would not care if the person was a teacher or non-educator as you call it, as long as they ran a good program. If Blackledge was consistently competing for a championship I am pretty sure a non-educator title would not matter.

If the person was a teacher and going 4-19, I think people would say "look at a non-educator. Bottom line is you want someone who can win. Educator or non-Educator.
I am not saying that a non-educator cannot be a good coach. I am saying that many, many school boards (and I count North Canton, among them) would be reluctant to give a full-time job to a non-educator in addition to the coaching duties, especially if that job needs to come with a salary of $60K+.

While not conceding whether or not Dean of Students is a common job or not for a basketball coach, I would guess that the overwhelming majority of those dean of students/coaches are educators who bring value to the building other than at practice and on game nights. I could be way off but that is how I see it.
Old 03-19-18, 01:42 PM
All American

I think Kyle McBride would be an excellent choice for Hoover. He is a teacher who will be in the building and in the classroom everyday. He has had success as small school coach at East Canton and has served some valuable apprenticeships to very good program builders and head coaches in Tom McBride and Matt Creamer. I do not think much would surprise him at this point.
Old 03-19-18, 02:30 PM
All Region

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Are all of his sons gone now?
Old 03-19-18, 02:49 PM
All Ohio

champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfan247 View Post
I work in a school with a Dean of Students. He is a head coach. Not basketball but he is a head coach. Dean of Students does have a specific role and outline for their job. In our school, we don't deal with a lot of discipline. However, if a student is sent to the office it will be handled by the Dean of Students. Our DOS also handles attendance issues. Which is very important. I think if a DOS position is created there are specific responsibilities for that person and those responsibilities will be helpful to the school.
Born and Bred is just poking the nest hoping someone will jump in.
Old 03-19-18, 02:54 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion View Post
Born and Bred is just poking the nest hoping someone will jump in.
Last thought . . . if the DOS is in charge of discipline do you want someone without a degree or with a business degree or someone with a 4 years degree (if not more) in a field related to the educating of and dealing with adolescents?

I didn't think I was poking anyone but after I went back and re-read my posts, I realized that I was passively communicating to the Plain Local Board of Education that I think they are spending their money foolishly just 12 months after laying off 15 teachers. So - yeah - I was poking the nest, as you said.
Old 03-19-18, 02:56 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
Are all of his sons gone now?
I am not sure about that. I think there is one more Blackledge in the middle school.
Old 03-19-18, 04:09 PM
All District

ejc1998
Send a message via AIM to ejc1998
I would love to see Monty back. All he did was win including an undefeated season and multiple federal league championships. If I remember correctly the team lost about 5 total home games in a 10 + year span. 5 home games! His teams had swagger. I miss watching the team enter from the track around the top of the gym and doing the slide thing in the middle of the court before games. I feel like the team lost its identity and edge under blackledge.
Old 03-19-18, 07:39 PM
Junior Varsity

1 time is on a distinguished road
The 20 year coaches are done. Need someone who can build a program in next 2-3 years. Then be able to stick around to enjoy rebuild for a few years .
Old 03-19-18, 09:02 PM
Varsity

foul ball is on a distinguished road
Blackledge should have never gotten the job in the first place. It was a joke right from the start. The whole thing had failure written all over it. The BOE and administration must be weak for letting this happen. Not only is he a football guy but his other lines of work don't allow him to spend the time needed to run a sound program. Am I also correct in saying that he had been upset about a previous coach who his son played under? Guess he showed everyone how it's done. Another sad story in high school sports and parental involvement.
Old 03-19-18, 09:23 PM
All World

BIG ED is on a distinguished road
Just throwing a name out there.....Brett Wackerly
Old 03-20-18, 05:11 AM
All District

ejc1998
Send a message via AIM to ejc1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by big ed View Post
just throwing a name out there.....brett wackerly
this!