Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-25-18, 04:04 PM
All Region

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
SVSM basketball absolutely should be celebrated in the same manner Hoban football was recently honored.
Old 03-25-18, 04:54 PM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
60 STVM
51 TM

Final

Congratulations on bringing home the school's 8th state title! Go Irish!
Congratulations!
Old 03-25-18, 05:24 PM
All District

Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
By my count this was 12th state championship won by the Irish this decade in boys and girls sports.

Couple more years left in the decade...how many more will they add?
Old 03-25-18, 05:35 PM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Congrats to St V and their fans. Well deserved win. SW played like a stud and will be missed on the court and the field. If they stay D2 should win 2-3 more in a row.
Old 03-25-18, 05:42 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Scott Walter is a heck of a player that D3 schools like John Carroll, Wooster and Wittenberg should be falling over themselves to get. He was a huge difference maker in this game; against Trotwood's hellacious defensive pressure, I can only recall him turning it over once (traveling). He probably had a handful of "hockey assists" where he passed his teammates into a numbers advantage that led to crucial baskets. The brief moments he was out, St. V's looked shaky against the pressure. Even with the rebounding advantage, I don't think they get it done yesterday without his steady handle and decision making.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-18, 10:19 PM
All American

FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
Scott Walter is a heck of a player that D3 schools like John Carroll, Wooster and Wittenberg should be falling over themselves to get. He was a huge difference maker in this game; against Trotwood's hellacious defensive pressure, I can only recall him turning it over once (traveling). He probably had a handful of "hockey assists" where he passed his teammates into a numbers advantage that led to crucial baskets. The brief moments he was out, St. V's looked shaky against the pressure. Even with the rebounding advantage, I don't think they get it done yesterday without his steady handle and decision making.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Agree NW, that kid was nails all tourney long. Kudos to him.
Old 03-26-18, 03:04 AM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootsWalker View Post
Agree NW, that kid was nails all tourney long. Kudos to him.
Scott Walter played with that intensity his entire career. I remember being told four years ago there was a freshman who was most likely going to make the varsity team. He performed no matter who/what Coach Dru threw at him. At Saturday's post game "gathering", Scott thanked Dru for "seeing something in the 5-7, 140 lb freshman and believing in him." He carries a 3.9 accum also, so no coach would need to worry about his academics. Unfortunately, Scott is 5-10. A coach has to realize, as did Dru, he plays taller. He is always in the mix for rebounds.

He's been offered for football, but I guess would prefer playing basketball in college. Hopefully, ala Torrey Patton, he drew attention during the tournament. Both Huggins and OSU coach were in the house; maybe they will mention him to a fellow coach at a D2-3 school.
Old 03-26-18, 08:29 AM
Junior Varsity

buchtalgriffs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby77 View Post
Maybe the Diocese will honor all CYO kids on this years team?
Two of the starters are CYO kids: Walter and Jones. On the bench Thomas and Taylor were also CYO kids. I would imagine Hoban has about the same number, so no need to be on your high horse about it.
Old 03-26-18, 08:59 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by buchtalgriffs View Post
Two of the starters are CYO kids: Walter and Jones. On the bench Thomas and Taylor were also CYO kids. I would imagine Hoban has about the same number, so no need to be on your high horse about it.
I'm not sure about this year, but the last few years I know they also have a lot of kids who went to various Christian schools in Summit County. I'd suspect the same holds true for this year's team. Many of those schools play CYO basketball for lack of a better alternative. Although I'm not sure what relevance any of this has to do with whatever point is trying to be made by the naysayers.
Old 03-26-18, 09:38 AM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveHoopFan08 View Post
How SVSM remained in division 2 is mind-numbing.
I'm an advocate for allowing schools the option to play up to whatever division they want (or at the very least, one division above what they are at after the competitive balance formula is applied). I don't imagine many non-division 1 football programs would make the step up because of the depth advantages the bigger D1's have, but basketball is a different story. One or two great players can carry you through a tournament. With the talent that SVSM churns out, it really is silly to see them competing in anything other than D1 in the postseason. Same applies to several other lower division, metro-area privates as well.
Old 03-26-18, 11:58 AM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Do Catholic schools even have enough Catholic students to play CYO ? Or is their student bodies like their sports teams mostly non- Catholic.

When I played CYO our team was mostly Catholic kids with the exception of 3-4 non catholic kids that attended the school as well. And at one point had a kid who was at a public school who just transferred from my grade school after his family moved to Mentor and went to one of the Jr. Highs in Mentor play on our team but attended PSR classes and was still a parishioner of the parish. Now with demographics changing its roles reversed. Euclid isnít that great of a school district hence why a lot of parents send their kids to either Our Lady of the Lake or Ss Robert and William and eventually attend VASJ Benedictine NDCL or Lake for better educational opportunities.

It all depends on the area and whatís around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-18, 03:08 PM
All Region

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buchtalgriffs View Post
Please read the rest of my posts before you accuse me of being on a high horse. I did not exempt Hoban from this. This is a byproduct of being successful in athletics. I am Happy for SVSM and they will be very good for years to come. They have built a great program and should be proud.
Old 03-26-18, 03:25 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby77 View Post
Please read the rest of my posts before you accuse me of being on a high horse. I did not exempt Hoban from this. This is a byproduct of being successful in athletics. I am Happy for SVSM and they will be very good for years to come. They have built a great program and should be proud.
Old 04-02-18, 07:57 PM
All World

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
STVM returns 12 of 15 Players. If the Irish remain D2 they could have a 3 peat State Championship Run. In Fact as long as the Irish remain D2 they will be the favorite. If they jump to D1 Regional Finals vs Garfield Heights or Solon. The future remains very bright for STVM and not so bright for anyone in the Canton district!
Old 04-03-18, 05:54 AM
All Ohio

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
That would be interesting.
Old 04-05-18, 08:39 AM
Freshman

TecArrows is on a distinguished road
I went to the game. The Walter kid controlled the entire game. Joyce tried to take him out and give him a breather and they turned the ball over twice and he was back in for the remainder of the game. Very smart and tough player without him I don't think STVM wins that game. Good luck to him in whatever he decides. He also had a quite 19 or 20 points. Great point guard who makes great decisions with the ball. He was very fundamentally sound in all aspects of the game.
Old 04-05-18, 08:56 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TecArrows View Post
I went to the game. The Walter kid controlled the entire game. Joyce tried to take him out and give him a breather and they turned the ball over twice and he was back in for the remainder of the game. Very smart and tough player without him I don't think STVM wins that game. Good luck to him in whatever he decides. He also had a quite 19 or 20 points. Great point guard who makes great decisions with the ball. He was very fundamentally sound in all aspects of the game.
Spot on! And don't forget the 6-for-6 from the line down the stretch to help keep Trotwood from closing the gap! The young man was clutch.
Old 04-05-18, 08:10 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TecArrows View Post
He also played with a wrenched back the second half. He got knocked around/to the floor in the closing minute of the first half. As he's walking off court you can see him react, if you have the opportunity to watch the game's replay. My buddy noticed it as soon as it happened. Coach Dru mentioned it in the post game remarks.
Old 04-05-18, 08:16 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
Spot on! And don't forget the 6-for-6 from the line down the stretchto help keep Trotwood from closing the gap! The young man was clutch.
Exactly, so smooth. The entire Irish squad was impressive from the line. I think they were 11-13. These kids are fundementally sound. You saw that clearly in both games in Columbus. Naysayers shout "AAU" ball, but their play was not. How many times did the TV announcers say "old school ball?" They were focused, disciplined and under control as they carried out the coaches game plans.
Old 04-11-18, 01:40 PM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
I just saw on ST V athletics twitter site a thank you to Hoban athletics for sponsoring a Pizza party at St V for the 2018 state champion basketball team. In the picture with the St V players is Hoban president Todd Sweda and Dean of Students Tym Tagliaferro. Very nice gesture and should help show everyone that you can compete on the field and in the classroom and still support one another.
Old 04-11-18, 04:26 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
I just saw on ST V athletics twitter site a thank you to Hoban athletics for sponsoring a Pizza party at St V for the 2018 state champion basketball team. In the picture with the St V players is Hoban president Todd Sweda and Dean of Students Tym Tagliaferro. Very nice gesture and should help show everyone that you can compete on the field and in the classroom and still support one another.
They've done back and forth for football and basketball since 2012. 👏
Old 04-11-18, 04:28 PM
All World

For those interested, Spectrum will broadcast a replay of the SC game tonight at 7:30, Channel 311, 1311.