Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-10-18, 10:48 AM
All District

sprtsfan247 is on a distinguished road
A perspective on AAU vs. High School / College basketball

Not a huge statement, but it is nice to see a high school coach actually say this. I wish more would, and also a few college coaches.

http://www.salemnews.net/sports/loca...-to-step-away/
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-18, 01:34 PM
All American

OneTiger is on a distinguished road
My son is in his third season of AAU. For us it's a way to improve and be "in sport" for spring and summer. We enjoy the travel and higher competition than school ball. Only 2 players per high school are allowed on each AAU team (until 1 june) I believe. On the flip side I have seen 2 very good players leave the school they were at and move to the school of a player they wish to compete with in HS. These kids are only in 8th gr. so there is still time for others to join them and create what one may consider an AAU team in HS.
Old 04-10-18, 02:14 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
It makes you wonder, is it time for the OHSAA to get rid of the two player per team rule in AAU?

It seems it was put into place to prevent schools from controlling kids too much in one sport but kids are specializing anyway. Maybe it's time the OHSAA allowed year round contact with their players and this could help coaches keep kids in their school system.
Old 04-10-18, 03:03 PM
All District

sprtsfan247 is on a distinguished road
Indiana does this, and I think it helps teams gel and lessens the want to transfer. The transfer rule being changed (if it passes in May) will help this as well. I think the risk will hurt more now if they miss the 2nd half of the season vs. the reward they may get.
Old 04-10-18, 03:52 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
It makes you wonder, is it time for the OHSAA to get rid of the two player per team rule in AAU?

It seems it was put into place to prevent schools from controlling kids too much in one sport but kids are specializing anyway. Maybe it's time the OHSAA allowed year round contact with their players and this could help coaches keep kids in their school system.
There would still need to be oversight to prevent abuses for these student athletes. But move that to the local school administration, and have them be responsible for making sure the coaches are not requiring an 40 hour week for these kids.

I like the idea, but will that not drive even more specialization? If baseball and football and track etc. can all coach/train their kids (assuming no way it could be sport specific) during a much longer period kids might really have to choose "one". That would be bad for high school sports outside division 1.
Old 04-10-18, 04:45 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
I like the idea, but will that not drive even more specialization? If baseball and football and track etc. can all coach/train their kids (assuming no way it could be sport specific) during a much longer period kids might really have to choose "one". That would be bad for high school sports outside division 1.
I think that was the fear and the ultimately the reason for limiting how many kids could play together. Even with that rule, kids have still chosen to specialize but they are doing it with outside the school sources.
Old 04-11-18, 08:22 AM
All Ohio

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
I never saw it as fear. It has always been about control but being unable to enforce it. The OHSAA has always wanted to make us think they are in total control but actually they have a book full of suggestions that get followed some of the time.