Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-03-19, 05:41 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
A Blast from the Past

In 1966, at the AA state meet, a pole vaulter from Mt. Healthy went 15'1" to set a new state meet record. Here is his picture vaulting that year. http://www.swotccca.com/Documents/Ch...%20Healthy.png

In 1964 some two years before his historic vault, he composed a short poem titled, “The Big Hop.”

The Big Hop

Someday I’m going to make the Big Hop.

I’ll go over the bar and then I’ll drop.

I’ll work my way until that day, and then I’ll win it all.

I’ll do my best and never rest until I make that fall.

I’ll jump so high and far no one will ever top.

I’ll strain to touch a star when I make the Big Hop.

On Saturday afternoon May 28,1966 beginning at 1:00 P.M., David Rimmer did his Big Hop to became the Ohio State Champion & Meet Record Holder with a“Big Hop” of 15’ 1 1⁄2 “. The record holder at the time was John Linta of Mansfield Malabar with a 14'5Ĺ" vault from 1964, the year David composed his poem.

The picture and poem appeared in the July 17, 2016 issue of Vaulter

Dave Rimmer confirmed that is his picture from the 1966 Mt. Healthy Yearbook and that he did indeed compose the poem stated herein.

Last edited by Lancermania; 02-03-19 at 12:33 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-19, 10:12 AM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Nice picture, Lancermania. Check your private messages.
Old 02-03-19, 10:49 AM
Freshman

needforspeed is on a distinguished road
Back then pits were made of sawdust and the poles were heavy and didn't bend like they do now. In case anyone wonders where the picture cam from, it is in an old Mt. Healthy Yearbook.
Old 02-03-19, 11:12 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Back then pits were made of sawdust and the poles were heavy and didn't bend like they do now. In case anyone wonders where the picture cam from, it is in an old Mt. Healthy Yearbook.
There were pole vault "mats" back then; however, if the school did have one, it was more than likely a collection of foam bits held together within net bags. These were still being sold in the early 1980s when I was in school, but by then, Port-A-Pits were in vogue and most schools had them.
Old 02-03-19, 12:09 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Comments from the man himself

We hear from Dave Rimmer, and here is what he says:

"All of the pits were sawdust except the ones at Miami University and Ohio State. I started vaulting when I lived in California and all of the poles were aluminum. The fiberglass pole first came out in 1961 and by 1963 everyone was using them. I don't recall anyone using metal poles in 1966 but there may have been some. I had to buy my own. All vaulters were using fiberglass in every track meet I was in. It was still new and the technique has changed significantly since then."
Old 02-03-19, 12:52 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
We hear from Dave Rimmer, and here is what he says:

"All of the pits were sawdust except the ones at Miami University and Ohio State. I started vaulting when I lived in California and all of the poles were aluminum. The fiberglass pole first came out in 1961 and by 1963 everyone was using them. I don't recall anyone using metal poles in 1966 but there may have been some. I had to buy my own. All vaulters were using fiberglass in every track meet I was in. It was still new and the technique has changed significantly since then."
Are you or someone you know in contact with Mr. Rimmer? If so, I'd like to forward some information to him.
Old 02-03-19, 01:00 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Yes, someone (not me) was able to locate David Rimmer. I sent you the guy's email who found him in a PM
Old 02-03-19, 01:02 PM
All American

Quote:
Yes, someone (not me) was able to locate David Rimmer. I sent you the guy's email who found him in a PM
Thanks.
Old 02-05-19, 10:50 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Some times I wonder what happens to state champions after high school. Here is Dave Rimmer's story:

"After high school, I attended Indiana University for one year then left and went to Pensacola in 1967. I got married in 1968 and have two sons and now have three grandchildren. I became a law enforcement officer and eventually returned to college and received my B.A. in Criminal Justice. During this time, I began pole vaulting again with the local junior college track team and managed to clear 16”.

I left law enforcement after graduating from college and went to law school at Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama and received my J.D. in 1982. I was an Assistant State Attorney for 27 years. In 2009 I became a circuit judge. I retired last month. We live on a small farm where I built a pole vault pit for my grandchildren and other kids in the area. I may be crazy, but I have started vaulting again at age 71!"
Old 02-05-19, 11:25 PM
All American

Thanks for that info, Lancermania. I had looked for a long time for results of his post-high school. Now I see how that would've been nigh on impossible!
Old 02-06-19, 05:33 AM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
In 1970 our pole vaulter was using a bamboo pole. I don’t remember how high he got. The landing pit was something that looked like styrofoam foam in a mesh bag
Old 02-06-19, 07:23 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvctrackfan View Post
In 1970 our pole vaulter was using a bamboo pole. I donít remember how high he got. The landing pit was something that looked like styrofoam foam in a mesh bag
1970? Swedish steel & aluminum poles were the vogue prior to fiberglass, and fiberglass had already been on the HS scene since 1960 (albeit a few). Bamboo was a staple of the 1930's-1940's generations. 1970?
Old 02-06-19, 09:03 AM
Lancers lead the way!

OVTC told me he thought vaulters were using bamboo poles in the early 60s.
Old 02-06-19, 01:59 PM
All American

Quote:
OVTC told me he thought vaulters were using bamboo poles in the early 60s.
My father graduated in '62 and he was using Swedish steel poles. He saw a couple of fiberglass in use at the time, but his coach wouldn't spend the money on one unless he vaulted 11'+ in a meet. His best was 10' 8" at the SW District meet in '62.

I remember my HS having an aluminum pole left over from that era in the shed. Couldn't use it in any box made out of metal as it made a HUGE noise when planting. Never tried vaulting on it. However, I did try bamboo in my own backyard the summer between my 7th & 8th grade years. That was interesting.