Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-17-19, 06:03 PM
All Region

runohio is on a distinguished road
From The NFHS: A Message to Parents of Ohio High School Athletes

From The NFHS: A Message to Parents of Ohio High School Athletes

Dear Mom and Dad: Cool it

By Karissa Niehoff, Executive Director of the National Federation of State High School Associations, and Jerry Snodgrass, Executive Director of the Ohio High School Athletic Association.
https://ohsaa.org/news-media/article...chool-Athletes
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-19, 12:58 PM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
"According to a recent survey by the National Association of Sports Officials, more than 75 percent of all high school officials say “adult behavior” is the primary reason they quit."

I might be wrong here, but abuse of officials by adults has to be way more common in football, soccer, and basketball than in cross country/track and field. Has to be rare to hear a parent abusing an official over a DQ call about a relay zone infraction. Coaches, yes. Parents, no.
Old 01-18-19, 03:32 PM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
I've seen college coaches lose it over their own team's mistakes in passing batons. One famous coach, John Chaplin (Washington State), was reputed to have given that assignment to assistants and then walk out of the stadium until the relays were over. Makes a coach prematurely grey!
Old 01-19-19, 11:11 AM
All Region

runohio is on a distinguished road
Also an important part of the letter -
"There are more officials over 60 than under 30 in many areas. And as older, experienced officials retire, there aren’t enough younger ones to replace them. ..The shortage of licensed high school officials is severe enough in some areas that athletic events are being postponed or cancelled...
If you would like to be a part of the solution to the shortage of high school officials, you can sign up to become a licensed official at HighSchoolOfficials.com. Otherwise, adult role models at high school athletic events here in Ohio are always welcome."
Old 01-19-19, 11:33 PM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofrunning View Post
I might be wrong here, but abuse of officials by adults has to be way more common in football, soccer, and basketball than in cross country/track and field. Has to be rare to hear a parent abusing an official over a DQ call about a relay zone infraction. Coaches, yes. Parents, no.
Football officials usually have a fence and maybe a track between them and most of the crowd. Similarly, soccer officials are not normally right next to the abusers. In my mind, basketball officials are nuts, sometimes being within a foot or two of people that are making threats. My understanding is that baseball and softball umpires have it the worst in terms of verbal abuse because the crowd is often right behind them and thinks they have the same view of everything that the umpire saw.

I don't know about rare, but abuse of track and cross country officials certainly is not the norm like it is in some of those other sports. I can only remember a few things yelled by parents and directed at me in my 20+ years. The first time I was abused I still remember vividly nearly 20 years later. Part of that is because I did not handle it very well and made the mistake of responding back. I've learned to just ignore it, which is why I don't remember too many any more. I have no duty to provide parents any explanations for my decisions.
Old 01-20-19, 08:02 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
One thing I like about track and field is that even when they are wrong, officials explain the calls to you. I have coached soccer and basketball, and reffed soccer, and there is not really time for that in the middle of a game. I have heard occasional abuse by parents (or coaches) at track meets but it is far, far more rare than in other sports.
Old 01-21-19, 03:26 PM
All District

insidecorner is on a distinguished road
Having coached multiple sports and teams over the years (not at high school level but I would say at the younger ages it seems even WORSE!), at the beginning of the year meeting, I would tell all the parents and all of the kids the same thing. "You are allowed to say 2 things to the refs/officials - thank you or nothing." I followed that approach myself as well. If I did disagreed with a call, l would wait until I could approach the official when they were alone and not officiating, and would just ask them "What did they see". A lot of times I may not have had the best angle (or I had the best angle and they did not). I found most officials really do "love the game" and are doing it for the kids, not the paycheck.
Old 01-25-19, 05:09 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
My daughter coaches in North Carolina. For indoor, the coaches officiate even through the state meet. She was the head triple jump official at the state meet 2 years ago. She may have watched the event a handful of times in her life.

For outdoor, the coaches are officials at all the meets except for the state meet. She says the relays at the Regional are terrible. She was assigned a lane once and after her lane cleared the zone legally, she noticed the lane inside her assigned lane passed outside the zone. She said she went up to the coach/official assigned to that lane and brought it up and he said there is no way he's DQ'ing anyone unless it is so blatant that everyone in the place sees it. I guess it can get heated between coaches if you DQ another team. Her school no longer will do relays at the regional level.

They must also have enough coaches with CDL's for drive the busses. She lives in fear that her team will lose a coach with a CDL and she will have to get one.

She's assigned to handling irate parents since the other coaches have to drive the buses.
Old 01-26-19, 05:30 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
I find this whole thing offensive as a parent and a coach.
Old 01-26-19, 11:22 PM
All American

madman is on a distinguished road
Why?

We are nearing the crisis level, if we've not already reached it, in some areas where there simply aren't enough officials for scheduled competitions. An important factor in why there is a dearth of officials is no one wants to work in conditions where they are berated and threatened.

How would you suggest the OHSAA handle this situation?