Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-19-19, 04:18 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Smile Triple Jump

Some are clamoring to add this event to the Track & Field tournament schedule. Some Invitationals have already started contesting this event in their scoring. It was time to have a triple jump top ten for Greater Cincinnati high schools, so here is what we have so far. Additions or corrections are requested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf triple jump top ten boys.pdf (152.0 KB, 49 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-19, 04:46 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
I know little about the triple jump, but I do know that my track team at Coventry will get its first encounter with this event, as we are going to the East Canton Invitational for the first time. It will be an interesting experience for us.
Old 01-22-19, 10:49 PM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
I know little about the triple jump, but I do know that my track team at Coventry will get its first encounter with this event, as we are going to the East Canton Invitational for the first time. It will be an interesting experience for us.
Old 01-23-19, 01:59 PM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Add the steeple chase, too!
Old 02-11-19, 03:58 PM
All District

2020Dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Some are clamoring to add this event to the Track & Field tournament schedule. Some Invitationals have already started contesting this event in their scoring. It was time to have a triple jump top ten for Greater Cincinnati high schools, so here is what we have so far. Additions or corrections are requested.

Justinian Mason son of Oliver Mason from ST X jumped 44 7.75 3/21/2009 which is the current ST Xavier record.

Kellen Newman is currently a junior at ST X and he jumped 44 ft 1.5 on sunday 2/10/2019 indoors at Otterbein 1st place
Old 02-11-19, 10:08 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020Dad View Post
Justinian Mason son of Oliver Mason from ST X jumped 44 7.75 3/21/2009 which is the current ST Xavier record.

Kellen Newman is currently a junior at ST X and he jumped 44 ft 1.5 on sunday 2/10/2019 indoors at Otterbein 1st place
I'm asking JAVMAN83'S expertise on this one. Both of these jumps were done indoors. Can we put them on an outdoor list?
Old 02-12-19, 05:26 AM
All American

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm asking JAVMAN83'S expertise on this one. Both of these jumps were done indoors. Can we put them on an outdoor list?
No. Bad precedent.
Old 02-12-19, 06:27 AM
All American

Quote:
No. I've got HUGE problems with the IAAF counting indoor marks in the field events the same as outdoor ones. Whoever pushed that through the IAAF committees, I have to wonder about their sanity. Indoor marks in the indoor jumps and vault are not only aided by the fact that you don't have to deal with the elements, but in many circumstances, you are aided by a floor surface that allows for more "spring" upon takeoff. I'm completely against indoor & outdoor marks being intertwined.
Old 02-12-19, 06:36 AM
All American

As an FYI, I've already started lists for both m/f indoor TJ marks for Ohio. Withrow's Jalesha Jarmon has the female record at 39' 6" (2009), and so far I've got a 46' 8" jump by Lake Catholic's Delmario Hairston set just this year.

Jarmon has the outdoor best at 42' 1 1/2", while Milan Tiff (Shaker Heights) set the boys' record 49' 11 1/4" at the 1968 Golden West Invite.

Question: Is Delmario Hairston any relation to famed Columbus Central broad jumper of the mid-20th century, Bill Hairston? Anyone care to research that one?
Old 02-12-19, 07:48 AM
Freshman

Throwscoach is on a distinguished road
Just remember that the IAAF is also the same group that complains about the field events taking to log so they speed up the time an athlete can take to complete a trial and then stops the field event to introduce each athlete in 10 heats of the 100 meter dash.
Old 02-13-19, 06:58 PM
Freshman

xcandtrack is on a distinguished road
Keep dreamin.
1) OHSAA isn't going to add events to the state meet, no time in the meet schedule. 2) Another vertical jump gives the sprinter heavy schools even more of an advantage. 3) Is there a HS in Ohio that has the facilities for steeple chase? Most of them have a hard enough time keeping what they do have safe and useable. It is only track you know.

Now if your goal is to get more kids an opportunity to participate in the big meets, state tournaments. Track and XC should be four divisions. More kids participate in these sports than FB. Generally Track and XC has 200+ schools per div. FB has 100- per div. And Track and XC serve both genders.
Old 02-14-19, 01:04 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwscoach View Post
Just remember that the IAAF is also the same group that complains about the field events taking to log so they speed up the time an athlete can take to complete a trial and then stops the field event to introduce each athlete in 10 heats of the 100 meter dash.
You noticed that insanity, too, didn't you
Old 02-14-19, 01:05 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcandtrack View Post
Keep dreamin.
1) OHSAA isn't going to add events to the state meet, no time in the meet schedule. 2) Another vertical jump gives the sprinter heavy schools even more of an advantage. 3) Is there a HS in Ohio that has the facilities for steeple chase? Most of them have a hard enough time keeping what they do have safe and useable. It is only track you know.

Now if your goal is to get more kids an opportunity to participate in the big meets, state tournaments. Track and XC should be four divisions. More kids participate in these sports than FB. Generally Track and XC has 200+ schools per div. FB has 100- per div. And Track and XC serve both genders.
I do believe the triple jump is a horizontal jump, not a vertical one. Of course, I've seen plenty of beginners treat the hop phase more like their long jumping into the air. Makes for a very short step phase.
Old 02-14-19, 10:37 AM
Freshman

xcandtrack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
I do believe the triple jump is a horizontal jump, not a vertical one. Of course, I've seen plenty of beginners treat the hop phase more like their long jumping into the air. Makes for a very short step phase.
Yes, brain thinking one way, fingers another.
Old 02-14-19, 11:15 AM
All Ohio

Run4Life is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Keep dreamin.
1) OHSAA isn't going to add events to the state meet, no time in the meet schedule.
The facility at Jesse Owens has 4 pits for the long jump/triple jump. There is no reason they cannot host both at the same time. It only needs a handful of officials and rakes. When you look at the athletes competing in the long/triple un the indoor state meet it shows that it isn't a forgone conclusion that they will be one and the same. Different event, different technique, different athlete.

The OATCCC needs to keep putting the need of the event up to the OHSAA. They had good rational the last time the Board of Control failed to make a second on the proposal, but the board changes. By continuing to bring it up means we are showing our seriousness for the event.

I know the current OATCCC board is concentrating on adding the 4th division, but this should be ready to bring up asap.

As for the steeplechase, how many tracks used by the 750+ teams have a facility for the event? It isn't the same as putting down a couple of takeoff boards on a runway.
Old 02-14-19, 02:52 PM
All American

Quote:
Yes, brain thinking one way, fingers another.
Ahh, lesdyxic!
Old 02-14-19, 06:11 PM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4Life View Post
The facility at Jesse Owens has 4 pits for the long jump/triple jump. There is no reason they cannot host both at the same time. It only needs a handful of officials and rakes.
The Jesse O could handle the event just fine. But, there are 12 Regional sites and about 48 district sites that would also need to accommodate the event, and not all of them would be able to easily. Most recently built/updated facilities have two pits, but not all. And some of those that have two pits share a runway. It's not as easy as many of you think.
Old 02-15-19, 01:43 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
I don't see an issue since District and Regional meets are two day meets where they split girls LJ and Boys LJ now. Number of teams with a triple jumper or two will not be too many for a few years with the exception of D1. So, it should go fast. Prelim day, might be tight. but they can certainly get a long jump and TJ in on Finals day.

The downside is that D2 and D3 schools will most likely have to take one of their better athletes out of another event to cover it.

So, we get rid of the 4x200 right? I'm not in favor of adding anything unless we get rid of the 4x200. Anything to get rid of the 4x200. Can't stand that event.
Old 02-15-19, 02:02 PM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
I imagine the smaller schools wondering how they will coach another event with the existing staff.
Old 02-15-19, 02:09 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
I imagine the smaller schools wondering how they will coach another event with the existing staff.
I had boys and girls (over 100 total members) competing with my distance coach and sprints coach when we were division 2, under 800 kids in the school. It can be done.

In regards to Altor's post, I agree, there will be issues at the district level, so many schools competing. Where we compete, unless the field events are held up by weather we only have running events the final day. More than enough time for the triple jumpers to get their chance. There is plenty of time at the regional meets.
Old 02-15-19, 02:13 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
I don't see an issue since District and Regional meets are two day meets where they split girls LJ and Boys LJ now. Number of teams with a triple jumper or two will not be too many for a few years with the exception of D1. So, it should go fast. Prelim day, might be tight. but they can certainly get a long jump and TJ in on Finals day.

The downside is that D2 and D3 schools will most likely have to take one of their better athletes out of another event to cover it.
Just like with the pole vault now, it is competed, but many schools opt not to be involved with it, be it no coach, no pit, too much for poles. Just because it is available doesn't mean every school MUST compete in it.
Old 02-15-19, 03:02 PM
All American

FYI - For those that argue for one reason or another that adding the Triple Jump is a burdensome activity, the State of Kentucky host the triple jump...regularly...KENTUCKY!!! Ohio is like the Bengals management...almost always behind-the-curve and never a leader.