Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-18-18, 08:22 PM
All Region

Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by College#19 View Post
They play in the GCYL, same league as Visitation, Lourdes, Victory, etc. Most of their kids go to Moeller, St.X, Fenwick, and I have to think LaSalle might be able to get some kids since Pat Mclaughlin kids play at Susanna.
I meant the Tower Titans.
Old 08-18-18, 08:57 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
That kids from Visitation have a leg up because of so many friends and family connections with staff, coaches, and admin? Yeah, I said that, and feel it's true. Never backed away from that and never will. You can disagree. Alot of times, if dad or brother played, you're automatically in the conversation, even when others are better. Not really a rumor, just kind of my opinion.

It's not some big controversy that you make it out to be. That's how the world works, but I think they miss on some kids because of it. They could afford to do that 10-15 years ago (they had the numbers). They can't miss on that stuff as much anymore with significantly less kids.

Also not saying alot of those kids don't deserve to be playing.
Thatís exactly what you said. Anyway, Iím not spending the season arguing over your bs. Blocking you until winter.
Old 08-18-18, 10:35 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Susanna definitely looked like the team to beat today. Lourdes looks better than Visi to this point. Mikes is down from what we normally see from them. Cov Cath looked solid. Should be an interesting year for the league. Overall good showcase of talent out there today.
Old 08-19-18, 08:43 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Susanna definitely looked like the team to beat today. Lourdes looks better than Visi to this point. Mikes is down from what we normally see from them. Cov Cath looked solid. Should be an interesting year for the league. Overall good showcase of talent out there today.
Not enough of the talent is going to Elder, which is why E needs to have non GCYL teams playing in events at the Pit. Elder is the last GCL school that counts so heavily on Feeder athletes and it shows.
Old 08-19-18, 08:57 AM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Elder has built a legacy off of feeder athletes, they just don't have enough of them.

Start with enrollment, and the Elder of old will come back. Easier said than done, I know, but I'm not sure of the answer if they're not going to actively go after non-feeders.

Last edited by trey2k; 08-19-18 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-19-18, 11:23 AM
All Region

Quote:
Elder has built a legacy off of feeder athletes, they just don't have enough of them.

Start with enrollment, and the Elder of old will come back. Easier said than done, I know, but I'm not sure of the answer if they're not going to actively go after non-feeders.
That’s false. It’s a new game, the Elder of old wouldn’t fair any better in today’s game. And they don’t have to aggressively pursue individual athletes, just find a way to get these teams on campus, cast a wide net. When the kids come to Elder, then they can work with them. Again, I’m talking about getting better athletes, not necessarily increasing enrollment. Getting more kids from Ignatius, James, OH Middle schools won’t really help them much on the field. It will help enrollment, but none of those kids could cover a Shaun Crawford in single cvg.
Old 08-19-18, 12:34 PM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know why you have this unrealistic approach to all of this. They have 2 state championships in 100 years. Two.

You act like they went from perennial state champs to nothing.

They are a tick below what they used to be because enrollment has sharply declined, not because they don't have more athletic kids. There have been ZERO Elder alums in the last 20 years that have gone on to play high D1 or NFL skill-level positions (RBs and DBs), yet you expect them to find kids who are supposed to guard, 1 on 1, high level D1 and potential NFL talent.

You are completely out of touch. If Elder once again had 950-1,000 kids, they would be in the hunt like they were every year at that size. It's still an uphill climb, but they were in the hunt every year. They can't do that every year anymore at their current size.

Your theory is that high D1 caliber talent will make them better. Well, isn't that a shocking theory. Of course it will. Newsflash...they've never got them and they never will.

In 1995, there were plenty of elite studs that were out there. And guess what, they didn't go to Elder either. But Elder was much more successful because they had more of the well prepared, somewhat athletic, smart, tough kids to utilize. They don't have as many any more, for alot of reasons (some under their control, some not).

I 100% agree in casting a wider net, but they already do some of that. The first step is more kids, if the happen to be great athletes, even better.
Old 08-19-18, 12:51 PM
All Region

Quote:
I don't know why you have this unrealistic approach to all of this. They have 2 state championships in 100 years. Two.

You act like they went from perennial state champs to nothing.

They are a tick below what they used to be because enrollment has sharply declined, not because they don't have more athletic kids. There have been ZERO Elder alums in the last 20 years that have gone on to play high D1 or NFL skill-level positions (RBs and DBs), yet you expect them to find kids who are supposed to guard, 1 on 1, high level D1 and potential NFL talent.

You are completely out of touch. If Elder once again had 950-1,000 kids, they would be in the hunt like they were every year at that size. It's still an uphill climb, but they were in the hunt every year. They can't do that every year anymore at their current size.

Your theory is that high D1 caliber talent will make them better. Well, isn't that a shocking theory. Of course it will. Newsflash...they've never got them and they never will.

In 1995, there were plenty of elite studs that were out there. And guess what, they didn't go to Elder either. But Elder was much more successful because they had more of the well prepared, somewhat athletic, smart, tough kids to utilize. They don't have as many any more, for alot of reasons (some under their control, some not).

I 100% agree in casting a wider net, but they already do some of that. The first step is more kids, if the happen to be great athletes, even better.

You know how much harder it is to win a state title now than in year’s past? Colerain has been the most consistently good program in SWO and they’ve won 1 title. Again, Elder doesn’t have to go after individual kids, bring the teams on campus, plant the idea in those kid’s head. And when they think about maybe going to Elder, you work with them then. 50 more kids from Ignatius, James, Oak Hills, Harrison, Taylor, etc. won’t help with their one critical flaw, speed. And you act like I’m saying they need to overhaul their whole team, 3 kids per class would make a gigantic difference. Across 3 Varsity classes, that’s 9 kids out of 75-80 kids.
Old 08-20-18, 06:02 AM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a good GCYL Preview yesterday and shocker that b!tch boy is complaining because the event wasn’t done his way! Good luck to the kids and Coaches this season playing GCYL Football!
Old 08-20-18, 06:44 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
Sounds like a good GCYL Preview yesterday and shocker that b!tch boy is complaining because the event wasnít done his way! Good luck to the kids and Coaches this season playing GCYL Football!
Shouldnít you be posting on the Oak Hills Forum?
Old 08-20-18, 12:49 PM
All World

Ehs 2005
Is this the first time Elder has held an event like this?
Old 08-20-18, 01:08 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehs 2005 View Post
Is this the first time Elder has held an event like this?
They did something similar last year, not sure about prior years. When the GCYL was formed there used to be a similar scrimmage held at Oskamp with 6-10 teams from each level - this has since replaced that scrimmage but is Varsity only and sponsored by the KofC as opposed to the league.

Last edited by adselder09; 08-20-18 at 01:21 PM.