Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-13-18, 01:23 PM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Floreal leaves Kentucky - Now head of Texas program

From the front page of T&F News...

https://texassports.com/news/2018/6/...-at-texas.aspx
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-18, 01:48 PM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
...and that is why you make a choice for university based on the academic program and not the coach
Old 06-13-18, 02:00 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
...and that is why you make a choice for university based on the academic program and not the coach
Tell that to an athlete that can and wants to be world-class, win NCAA titles, etc. Fine advice for 98-99% of athletes, but for the elite 1%, gotta go where the best are.
Old 06-13-18, 04:55 PM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
My intent was that you shouldn't chose a university based primarily on the coach. By the time you arrive or shortly thereafter they can be gone for a wide range of reasons. You better be happy with where you are at even if they aren't going to be there.

And yes, my advice was intended to address the 99+% of athletes who will be choosing where to compete at the next level. Exceptions are just that. Exceptions.
Old 06-13-18, 05:51 PM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
Quote:
My intent was that you shouldn't chose a university based primarily on the coach. By the time you arrive or shortly thereafter they can be gone for a wide range of reasons. You better be happy with where you are at even if they aren't going to be there.

And yes, my advice was intended to address the 99+% of athletes who will be choosing where to compete at the next level. Exceptions are just that. Exceptions.
sound reasoning for the most part. Having said that just like a regular student you are not just picking the school, usually it is a department that caught your interest and if major changes happen in that department you are going to be inclined to look elsewhere.
Old 06-13-18, 05:54 PM
All American

Quote:

Agreed
Old 06-13-18, 08:50 PM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Quote:
lol
Old 06-15-18, 01:20 PM
All District

insidecorner is on a distinguished road
Isn't Abby Steiner going to Kentucky? She also is apparently going to play soccer so that may not impact her decision as much. If an athlete signs a letter of intent, am I wrong in my impression (again mainly based on OSU football) the athlete is required to attend that university - even if the coach leaves?
Old 06-15-18, 03:36 PM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
Quote:
Originally Posted by insidecorner View Post
Isn't Abby Steiner going to Kentucky? She also is apparently going to play soccer so that may not impact her decision as much. If an athlete signs a letter of intent, am I wrong in my impression (again mainly based on OSU football) the athlete is required to attend that university - even if the coach leaves?
The school can release the athlete from the LOI. Also the NCAA just changed the transfer rules and I think they may have ended the year sit period and I do know the coach can no longer block where the kid decides to go.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/s...fer-permission
Old 06-15-18, 08:48 PM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins99 View Post
The school can release the athlete from the LOI. Also the NCAA just changed the transfer rules and I think they may have ended the year sit period and I do know the coach can no longer block where the kid decides to go.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/s...fer-permission
Except for this part: "The NCAA release does say, however, that conferences can still make rules within this process that are more restrictive than the national rule." This typically applies to football, and specifically, the SEC, which does have a more restrictive rule. I hope this doesn't come into play regarding XC and T&F. We shall see.
Old 06-15-18, 11:35 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Abby is going to Kentucky. Also, the new rules as it pertains to conferences essentially allows a conference to forbid member schools from recruiting athletes currently enrolled at other member schools. It does not allow the conference to block students from transferring out of the conference. The new rules disallow the particularly nasty tactic in which football coaches would oversign, withdraw scholarships and then block kids from transferring.