Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-02-17, 03:57 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
If X is trying to win games with JP taking 17-18 shots a game, they probably will lose back to back vs DePaul.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-17, 05:18 PM
All American

SportsGenius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaker182 View Post
Looks like my prediction of 21-10 is off the mark. Don't see us beating DePaul and I think we'll lose the first round of the tournament as well. Sliding on into the NIT lol. This has been the hardest Xavier team I've had to watch. In past seasons when we didn't make the tournament there were guys who looked like they wanted to be out there competing for W's. This team looks like they threw in the towel a month ago. They're just waiting for the season to end at this point. Hopefully we can retain players so we can have more than 8 scholarship players to end the season next year.

Also Gates and O'Mara are soft. I'd let Jones get more PT than them to get him experience. He's got some fight in him and a lot of learning to do.
I don't think they have looked like they quit a month ago. Last night was really the first time they didn't look like they cared or that they didnt seem to be fighting to win the game. Also, I wouldn't necessarily call Gates soft. He was never going to be a bruiser inside. He was brought in to be a stretch 3/4. He does have his games where he rebounds extremely well and his games where he shoots well. The whole knee injury set him back a month or 6 weeks and then when he aggravated it it slowed him down again. So just because he doesn't bang around inside doesn't mean he is soft. O'Mara is just flat out terrible though
Old 03-02-17, 05:21 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
If X is trying to win games with JP taking 17-18 shots a game, they probably will lose back to back vs DePaul.
Agreed. JP isn't the guy to be the main scoring option. Hes a sparkplug guy who can pour in buckets, but he's more of a spot up shooter than a dynamic scorer which theyve asked of him this season. I think next year he will be better as less of a playmaker
Old 03-02-17, 05:25 PM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Gates is soft. Injured or not, he is soft.
Old 03-04-17, 05:20 PM
All World

Should be in now with that win.

All it takes is a Lil DePaul to end a skid
Old 03-04-17, 06:25 PM
All American

Yea I agree, they should be in. Win Wednesday and they get a shot at Butler which I think they could pull out if theyre on. Just hoping to avoid the 8/9 game at this point
Old 03-05-17, 01:58 PM
All World

Bballer05
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGenius View Post
Yea I agree, they should be in. Win Wednesday and they get a shot at Butler which I think they could pull out if theyre on. Just hoping to avoid the 8/9 game at this point
i think, if we win Wednesday, no matter what we do after that, we are in the 10-12 seed range. even if we upset Butler (which i don't we will nor would we win another game after that), we are still a 10-12 seed.
Old 03-06-17, 04:57 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
This has turned into exactly what I didn't want -- nervewracking lol.
Like SportsGenius, I'm thrilled that we're going to avoid the 8/9 seed. Anything other than having to play in Dayton works for me.
As of today, Palm has X as a 10 seed. Lunardi has X as the last team in (12 seed, playing in Dayton).
I never thought I would be so nervous going into a game against Depaul.
Old 03-07-17, 08:06 AM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Tyrique Jones - OUT for Depaul game. That hurts. Not because he has been a big factor, but for depth depending on how the officials are calling the game. Really need Rashid to step up and play smart. O'Mara can do things against Depaul, but this past Saturday he looked awful as he does for the most part. I like X's chances in a 3rd game with Butler if they can handle Depaul.
Old 03-07-17, 04:46 PM
All American

I think(hope) we're gonna see Trevon take over for however many games we have left this season. I would put the odds at 90% he's gone after this season, so i expect him to go out with a bang
Old 03-07-17, 06:50 PM
All American

If he doesn't, it's going to be a short post-season for X.
Old 03-08-17, 08:04 AM
All World

Bballer05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post
Tyrique Jones - OUT for Depaul game. That hurts. Not because he has been a big factor, but for depth depending on how the officials are calling the game. Really need Rashid to step up and play smart. O'Mara can do things against Depaul, but this past Saturday he looked awful as he does for the most part. I like X's chances in a 3rd game with Butler if they can handle Depaul.
nowhere has it been reported that TJ is OUT. even Shannon Russell tweeted that he is a game time decision for tonight.

not counting on him at all after how hard his head hit but just sayin.
Old 03-09-17, 08:28 AM
All American

I forget exactly who I heard it from but yeah I was a little confused when the reporter was asking Mack about Jones right before the game because I thought it had been decided. Hopefully one extra sleep can get him ready for tonight. Need him for sure with this Butler matchup.

Keys for X are to really close out shooters from the jump, because Butler will probably catch on fire again if not. Also, it's time for Q to make a statement. He played great last night, but it was Depaul and they are truly atrocious. Has to be strong on Kamar Baldwin and must exploit the matchup with Lewis (if/when he gets it) when on offense. Holtmann quickly adjusted last game but Q was shredding that kid at the start. JP played the perfect JP game last night. Very few mistakes and didn't shoot an excessive amount. Need that again tonight.
Old 03-09-17, 11:32 AM
All World

Bballer05
i don't expect Jones to be ready for tonite but it would be nice if he was.

playing until midnight last night and then having to turn around and play this quickly with even LESS depth than last time will be tough.

hoping for a miracle win but not expecting it.

just give a good showing and maybe we can avoid UD/play in game and be an 11 seed instead.
Old 03-09-17, 01:43 PM
All American

Quote:
I forget exactly who I heard it from but yeah I was a little confused when the reporter was asking Mack about Jones right before the game because I thought it had been decided. Hopefully one extra sleep can get him ready for tonight. Need him for sure with this Butler matchup.

Keys for X are to really close out shooters from the jump, because Butler will probably catch on fire again if not. Also, it's time for Q to make a statement. He played great last night, but it was Depaul and they are truly atrocious. Has to be strong on Kamar Baldwin and must exploit the matchup with Lewis (if/when he gets it) when on offense. Holtmann quickly adjusted last game but Q was shredding that kid at the start. JP played the perfect JP game last night. Very few mistakes and didn't shoot an excessive amount. Need that again tonight.
If Im not mistaken, I think that report was actually filmed an hour or two before the game while GT/StJs were still playing. Jones was ruled out at least an hour or two before the game according to Xavier.
Old 03-09-17, 03:40 PM
All World

Not sure where people have Xavier in the bracket but if I were a Xavier fan I would be hoping for an 11 seed over an 8-10 seed. Not sure if a win over Butler gives them a better shot at being an 8-10 seed, as I said I don't know where they would fall in the bracket currently.
Old 03-09-17, 09:26 PM
All American

Im fine with any seed, but would prefer to avoid the 8/9 line
Old 03-10-17, 08:06 AM
All World

Bballer05
i'm thinking that win helps them avoid the play-in game in Dayton.

another win over Creighton could vault them to the 8-9 line, but i see them as a 10-11 seed right now.

offense wasn't great last night and once again, turnovers almost doomed them. what was consistent was the defense and rebounding all game. that's why they won.

need to bring that against Creighton tonite.
Old 03-10-17, 08:17 AM
All American

I would love for X to get a 10 seed.

Pull off a miracle and win BE tourney, would that vault X to a 7?! If not, then go Nova if we get there lol.
Old 03-10-17, 09:22 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would love for X to get a 10 seed.

Pull off a miracle and win BE tourney, would that vault X to a 7?! If not, then go Nova if we get there lol.
Obviously it could mean playing a weaker opponent in Round 1, but a 7 or 10 puts them in the same spot.

Haven't several long X runs to the Elite 8 start with X being a #10 seed? Sato's team that lost to Duke and Dolleman's? team that missed Duke thanks to CJ McCollum and Lehigh.
Old 03-10-17, 11:05 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post

Haven't several long X runs to the Elite 8 start with X being a #10 seed? Sato's team that lost to Duke and Dolleman's? team that missed Duke thanks to CJ McCollum and Lehigh.
Actually, you're confused about all of those things.

In 2004, X went to the Elite 8 -- as a #7 seed. Both Sato and Doellman were on that team.
The next time X went to the Elite 8 was 2008 -- as a #3 seed. Doellman was playing in Europe at the time.

In 2012, X was a #10 seed and indeed played Lehigh in the round of 32, moving on to the Sweet 16 where they lost to Baylor.
Old 03-10-17, 12:13 PM
All American

Nice try getting your jabs in, though.
Old 03-10-17, 12:18 PM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Imagine being so insecure in your team that everything that isn't glowing praise (in this case, misremembering things from 9+ years ago) you automatically think someone is trolling/getting jabs in.
Old 03-10-17, 12:40 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Where is said jab? What is Maguire talking about?
Old 03-10-17, 01:14 PM
All American

Just having fun, hence the wink. I sensed there was an underlying tone bringing up Lehigh and avoiding Duke (which was actually the year of the brawl. Doellman graduated 2007).

Jimbo! Relax. You are the sensitive one in this case.
Old 03-10-17, 01:17 PM
All American

BTW Jimbo, there's plenty of criticism towards the team in this thread that I have no issue with. I do, however, know a troll when I see one. You and e_p the biggest one of all. Turds.

#JIMBOOOOO
Old 03-10-17, 01:17 PM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Jerry's so rattled.
Old 03-10-17, 02:58 PM
All World

how he construed that as a jab is beyond me.

You can't cgoose who you play in the tourney and props to Xavier for beating who they matched up against during hose years.
Old 03-10-17, 03:13 PM
All Yappi

Jerry had me at "Nice try getting your jabs in, though. "
Old 03-10-17, 03:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
how he construed that as a jab is beyond me.

You can't cgoose who you play in the tourney and props to Xavier for beating who they matched up against during hose years.
Nice try with those jabs, Turpin! Jer and I know what you were implying there. Troll!