Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-11-17, 10:38 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Just when I thought I heard all the dumb ideas about "leveling the playing field" this one comes along.

Yes...let's limit the number of kids that get to dress varsity and probably never get in the game - or at least not when the game matters - to level the playing field. Because kids that never get in have any effect on the game's outcome.
Old 11-11-17, 10:58 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Is this a solution in search of a problem?
Good assessment. Not sure what it solves.

It would be really stupid to disenfranchise marginally athletic boys at the bottom of a roster that may be just searching for an identity or a sense of belonging.

Is the "GoGreenGo" guy recruiting for the burn-outs or the science club or something ?
Old 11-11-17, 11:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwpatfire View Post
Capping rosters is not going to solve the problem as you presented it. Whether a school has 50 or 100 on the sideline, you can only play 11 at a time.
yup

And it only takes the right 30 to whomp anybody.
Old 11-11-17, 11:03 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGreenGo View Post
No, I think there will be participation and this rule would not affect most public schools. To be completely clear in the self-interest of the rule, the capping of rosters would be designed as a check on private schools.

In terms of participation, that is what freshman or JV teams are for.
So are you trying to say if a Large private school had to cap their roster at say 60, Those other 40 to 45 might decide to go or stay at their public school and have a better shot at playing. Which would increase the public schools chances against the private schools?
Old 11-11-17, 11:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewatch View Post
So are you trying to say if a Large private school had to cap their roster at say 60, Those other 40 to 45 might decide to go or stay at their public school and have a better shot at playing. Which would increase the public schools chances against the private schools?
Carson Wentz was a late bloomer. He was a runt even into college. Is that kind of what you're thinking ?

I guess that could account for a surprise or two, but I think they have a lot of the future figured out by the end of 9th grade football season.
Old 11-11-17, 11:12 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
I feel sorry for the juniors and seniors that X didn't bring, since they average around 70 in the junior and senior classes.
Old 11-11-17, 11:15 PM
Varsity

VVTommyBoy is on a distinguished road
firewatch, that might create a problem if those kids from private school take away playing time from kids that grew up playing all along for the public school ( peewee, junior high and all )...might say something about kids from the private schools getting better coaching. Anyway, I think the public schools already have the athletes walking their halls, just may not want to play.
Old 11-11-17, 11:15 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Carson Wentz was a late bloomer. He was a runt even into college. Is that kind of what you're thinking ?

I guess that could account for a surprise or two, but I think they have a lot of the future figured out by the end of 9th grade football season.
Sort of, I think more along the lines of St.Eds or St.X has 25 6í4 290 lb lineman, where a cap might put 5 to 6 of those kids on a public school roster where they would be either starting or key back ups.
Old 11-11-17, 11:17 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVTommyBoy View Post
firewatch, that might create a problem if those kids from private school take away playing time from kids that grew up playing all along for the public school ( peewee, junior high and all )...might say something about kids from the private schools getting better coaching. Anyway, I think the public schools already have the athletes walking their halls, just may not want to play.
In most cases those kids grew up in the same leagues as the kids as the public school kids the separation happens in middle school.
Old 11-11-17, 11:19 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat is on a distinguished road
A possible explanation: X and Ignatius have over 100 players on their varsity teams. Of those 100 they play at best 40 a game. Why are the orther 60 bothering to show up if they are not ever going to get into a game? Maybe because theycan put on their college application that they were on a state championship football team. Every little bit helps.
Old 11-11-17, 11:20 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
In most cases those kids grew up in the same leagues as the kids as the public school kids the separation happens in middle school.
? they play CYO?
Old 11-11-17, 11:21 PM
Junior Varsity

bombers92 is on a distinguished road
Specht just doesn't cut people. We don't actually have 108 guys that are football players or that even like football, most of them are just hoping they can get a ring by being on the team or just want the experience, but rest assured probably atleast 50 of them are miserable football players. I'm guessing if other schools literally cut no one as X does the numbers wouldn't be quite as lopsided.
Old 11-11-17, 11:25 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sort of, I think more along the lines of St.Eds or St.X has 25 6í4 290 lb lineman, where a cap might put 5 to 6 of those kids on a public school roster where they would be either starting or key back ups.
If they are that big but not playing they are attending the school for more than just football.

Capping rosters is incredibly stupid.
Old 11-11-17, 11:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
A possible explanation: X and Ignatius have over 100 players on their varsity teams. Of those 100 they play at best 40 a game. Why are the orther 60 bothering to show up if they are not ever going to get into a game? Maybe because theycan put on their college application that they were on a state championship football team. Every little bit helps.
Sure.

Even so, everyone likes to be part of something great. North Royalton, who you guys knocked out in the second round to end their best season in years both previous and hence, probably also dressed the most kids in that season - 2012.
Old 11-11-17, 11:33 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
? they play CYO?
Example... Not many kids in Tallmadge play CYO before they go to Hoban or Walsh.
Old 11-11-17, 11:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Example... Not many kids in Tallmadge play CYO before they go to Hoban or Walsh.
In the Cincy area they do
Old 11-11-17, 11:43 PM
All Ohio

IgnatianAMDG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sure.

Even so, everyone likes to be part of something great. North Royalton, who you guys knocked out in the second round to end their best season in years both previous and hence, probably also dressed the most kids in that season - 2012.
There was a North Royalton fan that hated Ignatius after that 2012 defeat. I don't think he ever realized that Ignatius lost that very next week to Mentor, who then lost to Whitmer, who then lost to Moeller.
Old 11-11-17, 11:47 PM
All American

SuperD1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
In the Cincy area they do
He doesnít know what heís talking about. Cleveland kids play CYO as do many Akron boys.
Old 11-11-17, 11:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Cleveland kids play CYO as do many Akron boys.
And Pop Warner

There is a lot of crossover around here. Nordonia students that are parishioners play St Barnabas CYO, St Barnabas students have played in the Nordonia/Twinsburg league (maybe your Shaun Crawford, too ? ), a few kids play both in baseball - so I'm guessing it may happen in football.. It's a free-for-all until HS here.
Old 11-11-17, 11:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Yeah, Tallmadge and Cuyahoga Falls have a strong Little League, too. It's more Hot Stove - like your SSBL - in other places.
Old 11-11-17, 11:57 PM
Varsity

firewatch might be right in some of the smaller communities that don't have enough Catholic schools. I was in Columbus so, there were enough for CYO. I do know someone that transferred to a small school to play basketball...coach was very nice but the community was hateful about "their" kids losing playing time ( both were public schools though ).

I don't have much patience for anyone that wants to come up with excuses as a reason they can't compete. Private schools encourage kids to do extracurricular and I'm guessing they get something out of it even if it is just practice.
Old 11-11-17, 11:58 PM
All Ohio

simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah, Tallmadge and Cuyahoga Falls have a strong Little League, too. It's more Hot Stove - like your SSBL - in other places.
Hamilton Westside clearly has the best little league program in the state probably followed by Canfield. Tallmadge had a great high school team this past year obviously.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-17, 12:08 AM
Varsity

A lot of kids need to keep up with the classroom side in order to remain eligible to play in school systems that insist on such a thing. You learn to get things taken care of.

Our school used to dress everyone possible and it did psych out some opponents. We don't get as many kids to come out these days. Our booster club heavily favors the football program.
Old 11-12-17, 12:25 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
He doesnít know what heís talking about. Cleveland kids play CYO as do many Akron boys.
Maybe thatís why I didnít mention either of those communities. Bigger cityís have stronger CYO programs.
Old 11-12-17, 07:53 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by simkon View Post
Hamilton Westside clearly has the best little league program in the state probably followed by Canfield. Tallmadge had a great high school team this past year obviously.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
cool

My point was that much like there are different youth baseball formats and programs, CYO football is one of many avenues that NEO youth have available to play football, and it's not just CYO to parochial HS for 9th grade ball.
Old 11-12-17, 08:30 AM
All Region

Captain_Cavman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In an era of decreased interest in football due to concussion fears.....
Go after soccer. You're more likely to get a concussion playing soccer than football.
Old 11-12-17, 08:40 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
What is with the public school tears today?
Agreed...not a good look.
Old 11-12-17, 08:46 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Maybe thatís why I didnít mention either of those communities. Bigger cityís have stronger CYO programs.
You didn't mention any cities, you made a general statement. So your proposal is based on your perception of how things work in your limited area and extrapolating that to the state as a whole.
Old 11-12-17, 09:04 AM
Freshman

treebranch45 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In an era of decreased interest in football due to concussion fears and in an era of recruitment (cheating) by non-public schools (actually this has been going on for decades), is it time for the OHSAA to cap rosters at a number - say 50-60?

On the college level, away or travel teams do not travel 100 strong and are able to compete just fine. It just seems that public schools are at a disadvantage and this was the case before concussion fears have come to the conscious of families.

In the case of St.X versus Sycamore, when St.X dresses 108 and Sycamore dresses 48, there just seems to be an unfairness factor there and I know, not all 108 play. The playing field is not level.

On the issue of fairness, I am a Republican and a capitalist, I get it - life is not fair, there are winners and losers, but in this case, there is fundamentally not a level playing field.

To those saying its a great recruitment tool, I say a cap would be a greater incentive for JV players to get to dress rather than having it handed to them.

Since 2000, there has only been 4 public school winners.

Year - Winner, Runner-up
2016 - Cincinnati St. Xavier 27, Cleveland St. Ignatius 20
2015 - Lakewood St. Edward 45, Huber Heights Wayne 35
2014 - Lakewood St. Edward 31, Huber Heights Wayne 21
2013 - Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller 55, Mentor 52
2012 - Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller 20, Toledo Whitmer 12
2011 - Cleveland St. Ignatius 34, Pickerington Central 13
2010 - Lakewood St. Edward 35, Huber Heights Wayne 28
2009 - Hilliard Davidson 16, Cleveland Glenville 15
2008 - Cleveland St. Ignatius 28, Cincinnati Elder 20
2007 - Cincinnati St. Xavier 27, Mentor 0
2006 - Hilliard Davidson 36, Mentor 35 (2OT)
2005 - Cincinnati St. Xavier 24, Massillon Washington 17
2004 - Cincinnati Colerain 50, Canton McKinley 10
2003 - Cincinnati Elder 31, Lakewood St. Edward 7
2002 - Cincinnati Elder 21, Warren Harding 19
2001 - Cleveland St. Ignatius 37, Cincinnati St. Xavier 6
2000 - Upper Arlington 15, Solon 9

Thoughts?
St. X only dresses 6 JV players on Varsity the rest do not dress
Old 11-12-17, 09:58 AM
All American

TIGER27
The public schools need to break away and form a new Ohio Public School Athletic Group. The OHSAA will never do anything.