Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Football (NFL)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 12-18-17, 07:52 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Better than PantherDad
Posts: 6,966
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Heís going to the ground on the catch. Arguing this was really a catch is stupid.

Arguing whether or not it's a catch by rule is dumb. Arguing the merits of the rule is where the discussion lies. Common sense dictates that's a catch, but the rules say otherwise, change the rule.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #302  
Old 12-18-17, 07:58 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Better than PantherDad
Posts: 6,966
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
This is the exact game/moment when the definition of a catch changed forever

Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 12-18-17, 08:15 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 69,416
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Arguing whether or not it's a catch by rule is dumb. Arguing the merits of the rule is where the discussion lies. Common sense dictates that's a catch, but the rules say otherwise, change the rule.
It was a dumb rule years ago, but as noted James was going to the ground with the catch. I have no problem with the rule stating you have to keep the ball through hitting the ground in that instance. Now the Eifert example, he clearly caught it while standing, secured it to his body and then extended the ball to the goal line.
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 12-18-17, 08:42 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 34,696
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Yeah Eifertís catch a couple years ago was much different. He actually secured the ball to his chest and lunges for the goal line to have the ball come out. If that wasnít a catch, no way this was.

That's a touchdown
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 12-18-17, 08:43 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 34,696
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Heís going to the ground on the catch. Arguing this was really a catch is stupid.

Pretty clear it's a catch. Not sure why bitter Bungals fans...oh yeah
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 12-18-17, 08:43 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 34,696
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
That's factually incorrect.
That's exactly what happened. Not sure what else to tell you
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 12-18-17, 08:45 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 69,416
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Crusaders is delusional.
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 12-18-17, 08:46 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 34,696
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Obviously you are incorrect.
At least Marvin is out amirite?
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 12-18-17, 08:49 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 34,696
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
If he were hit with his knee down and lost the ball it wouldn't have been a fumble. If that's the case then the dive toward the end one is a runner's move. Pretty obvious
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 12-18-17, 08:53 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 31,007
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
At least Marvin is out amirite?
Marvin's back-tracking now. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...er-this-season
Reply With Quote
  #311  
Old 12-18-17, 08:56 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 3,423
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
That's a touchdown
No it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Pretty clear it's a catch. Not sure why bitter Bungals fans...oh yeah
You're obviously the bitter one, since that correct call and Ben's bonehead pass cost the Steelers a huge win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
At least Marvin is out amirite?
Deflecting. Classic tactic used by the bitter.
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 12-18-17, 09:08 PM
Raider6309 Raider6309 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-12-15
Location: Athens
Posts: 1,612
Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
This weekend was a NFL rules diaster
1. The Steelers play was a touchdown
2. The Raiders, why is it a touch back if you lose position at the goal line
3. The Cowboys, how is it a first down if an index card was between the ball and chains

Not good for viewers when the Steelers and Raiders get screwed in prime time because your rules suck and the officials suck

All three will have to be changed this off season
Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old 12-18-17, 09:21 PM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 2,897
WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Crusaders, are you arguing those plays should be considered catches? Because I absolutely agree. But according to current rules, it very clearly is not. What’s your argument?
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 12-18-17, 09:38 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,136
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
If he were hit with his knee down and lost the ball it wouldn't have been a fumble. If that's the case then the dive toward the end one is a runner's move. Pretty obvious
Again...... factually incorrect....

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your opinion
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 12-18-17, 09:42 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 34,696
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
No it isn't.



You're obviously the bitter one, since that correct call and Ben's bonehead pass cost the Steelers a huge win.



Deflecting. Classic tactic used by the bitter.
Of course it is.

Of course I'm bitter. It was a bad interpretation of a bad rule that cost the Steelers home field throughout and moved the Pats from 3rd in the conference to 1st.

It's pretty obvious what the motive is here. Any neutral knows that was a catch. Just a bunch of soy boy Bungals fans who are bitter their team hasn't won a playoff game since they were in diapers.
Reply With Quote
  #316  
Old 12-18-17, 09:54 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Better than PantherDad
Posts: 6,966
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Crusaders, are you arguing those plays should be considered catches? Because I absolutely agree. But according to current rules, it very clearly is not. Whatís your argument?
There is no argument, it's mostly complaining.
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old 12-18-17, 09:57 PM
St.X fan2 St.X fan2 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-09-01
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,684
St.X fan2
As I mentioned before, this article has a long explanation why it was the correct call based on the current rules. A couple of referees explain the call in this link. Yes, it is a dumb rule but it is not new as Dez Bryant's play which was similar was called incomplete in the 2014 playoffs. I can't stand the Patriots or the Steelers and hope that they both lose in the playoffs.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-en...lly-overturned

Here is another link that explains the call http://https://sports.yahoo.com/controversial-measuring-first-index-card-steelers-catch-rule-164323350.html

Tony Dungy mentions in the second link that the call was right based on the way it has been called for years now. Dez Bryant had a catch taken away from him in the 2014 playoffs that was similar to Sunday's call and Megatron also had a catch taken away many years ago on this rule. I guess people forgot about those calls. Why should the refs call it differently now since the rule has not changed from several years ago?

Last edited by St.X fan2; 12-18-17 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: Added another link
Reply With Quote
  #318  
Old 12-18-17, 10:00 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Better than PantherDad
Posts: 6,966
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Of course it is.

Of course I'm bitter. It was a bad interpretation of a bad rule that cost the Steelers home field throughout and moved the Pats from 3rd in the conference to 1st.

It's pretty obvious what the motive is here. Any neutral knows that was a catch. Just a bunch of soy boy Bungals fans who are bitter their team hasn't won a playoff game since they were in diapers.
I think everyone agrees, the rules should be changed. However, officials do not have the latitude to change rules on the fly. They're supposed to be robotic in how they apply the rules to the game, context and common sense are irrelevant.
Reply With Quote
  #319  
Old 12-18-17, 10:37 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 34,696
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Again...... factually incorrect....

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your opinion
I'm stating the facts. You're struggling with them. Not sure what else there is to say to you.
Reply With Quote
  #320  
Old 12-18-17, 10:40 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 34,696
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
I think everyone agrees, the rules should be changed. However, officials do not have the latitude to change rules on the fly. They're supposed to be robotic in how they apply the rules to the game, context and common sense are irrelevant.
Even by the rules it was a TD as he made himself a runner with a lunge. People are hyperfocused on the bobble as if that was part of the catching motion when it wasn't.
Reply With Quote
  #321  
Old 12-18-17, 10:45 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 34,696
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Cincinnati must be devastated. SOFT Lewis to return!
Reply With Quote
  #322  
Old 12-19-17, 12:10 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 69,416
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Even by the rules it was a TD as he made himself a runner with a lunge. People are hyperfocused on the bobble as if that was part of the catching motion when it wasn't.
Obviously he didnít make himself a runner at all as it was overturned and nearly unanimously agreed by everyone but yappi Steeler fans who have no connection to Pittsburgh at all that the rule was interpreted correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #323  
Old 12-19-17, 12:12 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 69,416
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Crusaders, are you arguing those plays should be considered catches? Because I absolutely agree. But according to current rules, it very clearly is not. Whatís your argument?
Heís whining. Thatís his argument.
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old 12-19-17, 06:35 AM
cjb56 cjb56 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-15-04
Location: Avon, OH
Posts: 13,551
cjb56 is on a distinguished road
As an impartial observer, I believe it was a catch. It was secure as his knee hit, but then he made what I would consider a football move to stretch for the TD. I would have ruled catch and TD.
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old 12-19-17, 06:50 AM
TylerDurden TylerDurden is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-12-01
Posts: 14,854
TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Even by the rules it was a TD as he made himself a runner with a lunge. People are hyperfocused on the bobble as if that was part of the catching motion when it wasn't.
There's definitely some confusion here. First he never established himself as a runner, you need to check the actual NFL rules. You can't make yourself a runner with a reach forward, you have to be on your feet to be a runner. Second, the bobble was part of the catching process as he falls under the category of a player going to the ground. In that scenario the rule is pretty clear, he must maintain control and he clearly didn't.
Reply With Quote
  #326  
Old 12-19-17, 07:00 AM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,136
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Even by the rules it was a TD as he made himself a runner with a lunge. People are hyperfocused on the bobble as if that was part of the catching motion when it wasn't.
Swing and a miss.....

Again
Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old 12-19-17, 07:02 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 3,423
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Of course it is.

Of course I'm bitter. It was a bad interpretation of a bad rule that cost the Steelers home field throughout and moved the Pats from 3rd in the conference to 1st.

It's pretty obvious what the motive is here. Any neutral knows that was a catch. Just a bunch of soy boy Bungals fans who are bitter their team hasn't won a playoff game since they were in diapers.
No, it isn't.

Hey, acceptance is the first step, or something. Congrats

More deflection. Classic. Haven't seen Crusaders flounder this much since he was 16 posting in the debate forum.
Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old 12-19-17, 07:03 AM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,136
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
There's definitely some confusion here. First he never established himself as a runner, you need to check the actual NFL rules. You can't make yourself a runner with a reach forward, you have to be on your feet to be a runner. Second, the bobble was part of the catching process as he falls under the category of a player going to the ground. In that scenario the rule is pretty clear, he must maintain control and he clearly didn't.
There's really no confusion, only a dislike of the rule. Because of that the only responses from those who dislike the rule are.....

1) They should change the rule
2) He was a runner (still isn't one)
3) It's a bad rule
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old 12-19-17, 08:18 AM
Irwin20 Irwin20 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-14-11
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3,097
Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Call was correct per bad rule. Lets move on.

Bills will beat the Pats this week. Steelers win out making this a moot point.
Reply With Quote
  #330  
Old 12-19-17, 09:06 AM
Crusaders Crusaders is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 34,696
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
No way the Bills win in Foxborough
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any News on a New Head Football Coach at Mount Gilead???? IUDOGS Football 11 07-15-17 01:07 PM
Any NEWS on getting a new Head Football Coach at St Paris Graham Local??? IUDOGS Football 7 05-26-17 11:17 AM
Any News on a New Head Football Coach at Springfield Northwestern???? IUDOGS Football 4 05-23-17 12:39 PM
Any NEWS on getting a new Head Football Coach to replaces coach Mike Vicars at Swanto IUDOGS Football 2 05-19-17 08:54 AM
NFL draft and Track athletes runohio Football 30 05-06-17 07:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz