Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #61  
Old 11-16-18, 07:07 AM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Posts: 4,440
irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
You don't think my window a/c unit idea will work?

Hurtful. ��
Lol. I'll give it a whirl just for you.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11-16-18, 07:10 AM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Posts: 4,440
irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
Never? Not in 3.6 billion years? Who has those records?
Citing ohiopups diagram which was posted.

Just insert doubt. Cigarettes are good for you and the Earth is flat.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 11-16-18, 10:08 AM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 3,667
chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Citing ohiopups diagram which was posted.

Just insert doubt. Cigarettes are good for you and the Earth is flat.
I see. "Never" only includes the last 12,000 years. The 3,599,999,988 years before that don't count. That's about as accurate as the rest of the "science" of global cooling / global warming / climate change.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 11-16-18, 10:17 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 25,337
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler View Post
Plant life uses CO2. I would expect plant life to flourish and consume a lot of that increase of C02.
Exactly.

It's funny how in talking about our impending doom because we are raising the levels of CO2 in the air few of the alarmists want to discuss the potential benefits of slightly higher atmospheric CO2 levels.

There is ample evidence that CO2 levels have been much higher then they are today and that the current rise is modest in comparison to previous rises.

There is also ample evidence that plant life will in fact do better when CO2 levels are elevated. Just visit a commercial greenhouse, where CO2 levels are kept at 1000 ppm (more then double the current level) to confirm this.

There is also the fact that throughout history NATURAL phenomena have caused the release of enormous amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere. Things such as massive forest fires (you think our modern FF's are big, before humans arrived in America there were FF's that burned down half the Pacific Northwest!) and volcanic eruptions can throw huge amounts of CO2 into the air.

That the earths climate has a robust natural correcting mechanism for periods of high CO2 release has been demonstrated repeatedly over the years.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 11-16-18, 10:25 AM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 9,391
winbypin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Lol. I'll give it a whirl just for you.
Thank you. I'll look for your feedback.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11-16-18, 10:28 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 25,337
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
I see. "Never" only includes the last 12,000 years. The 3,599,999,988 years before that don't count. That's about as accurate as the rest of the "science" of global cooling / global warming / climate change.
And consider how accurately these "scientists" can reconstruct the global temperature profiles of thousands of years ago compared to today. Imagine trying to relate the temperature profile for the 100 year period from 10,137 BC to 10,037 BC to a similar profile for between 1918 - 2018. This is what they claim they can do.

What they want us to believe is that a warming event which might have taken place 10,000 years ago was less robust then a similar warming event taking place over the last 100 years. Hence the claim that this is the "fastest warm-up in history". Do you really think tree ring data is up to the task? At best they are GUESSING at what these older temperature profiles looked like and then comparing them to the very precise measurements available over the last 150 years.

Even worse when the measured values of say a century ago don't agree with their theory's they go back and ADJUST the measurements using their current models. Models which have NOT been shown to be predictive.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 11-16-18, 11:18 AM
Crusaders Crusaders is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 35,743
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler View Post
Plant life uses CO2. I would expect plant life to flourish and consume a lot of that increase of C02.
You're relying on the assumption that an increase in temperature will result in a net gain for plant habitats. The truth is, there's a limit to how much CO2 a plant can absorb, so while this may be beneficial to some, it would kill others (and more over time). The increased temperatures of the planet will also change many habitats, leaving some places with reduced arability or left completely unarable. And while it will raise the temperatures for some other places that are currently very limited or not arable at all, you have to take other things into account, such as sunlight and soils. Simply raising the temperature in Canada will not open up vast amounts arable land that many probably imagine because, for the most part, the country simply lacks the necessary soils and receives a lot less solar energy than people seem to realize.

This is a half-truth at best that should not be peddled at all. In the near term, sure plants will grow better. In the long term, it's a dangerous idea to lean on.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 11-16-18, 12:25 PM
JcksnPlrBrs2002 JcksnPlrBrs2002 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-29-18
Posts: 397
JcksnPlrBrs2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Very liberal of you. The I am right, you're wrong, end of discussion attitude.
It has nothing to do with "liberal/conservative". There's just no need to dignify crazy.

1:53

Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 11-16-18, 12:39 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 35,743
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Patton Osawalt isn't exactly ideologically moderate. All ideas have to be heard and argued. Casting some aside as unworthy of debate only allows people to take them more seriously than they should; issues need to be addressed and incorrect information needs to be corrected.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 11-16-18, 01:05 PM
JcksnPlrBrs2002 JcksnPlrBrs2002 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-29-18
Posts: 397
JcksnPlrBrs2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Patton Osawalt isn't exactly ideologically moderate. All ideas have to be heard and argued. Casting some aside as unworthy of debate only allows people to take them more seriously than they should; issues need to be addressed and incorrect information needs to be corrected.
For the most part, I agree. There comes a point though where it's really just not worth the time. If someone comes up to me in 2018 and tries to explain that I'm feeling ill because my "humors are unbalanced" and I "need to be bled, promptly", I'm not going to bother having a debate with them about it. They're crazy, and I don't have time for it. I feel the same way about people trying to present "arguments" against the general scientific consensus about mankind's role with climate change.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 11-16-18, 01:09 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 35,743
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Disagree. If someone wants to debate that the toothfairy is real, and they're not an 8 year old, then you should if you have the time. If there are people walking around with dumb ideas, the best way to address it is to discuss those things. You might not win everyone over but you will win some.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 11-16-18, 01:10 PM
Hammerdrill Hammerdrill is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-28-13
Posts: 1,760
Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JcksnPlrBrs2002 View Post
For the most part, I agree. There comes a point though where it's really just not worth the time. If someone comes up to me in 2018 and tries to explain that I'm feeling ill because my "humors are unbalanced" and I "need to be bled, promptly", I'm not going to bother having a debate with them about it. They're crazy, and I don't have time for it. I feel the same way about people trying to present "arguments" against the general scientific consensus about mankind's role with climate change.
That is pretty ironic actually. You realize that being bled was what the experts of the time (scientist) had come up with. To me it is nothing less than extreme hubris to think man could change the climate.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 11-16-18, 01:14 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 35,743
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
I'm grateful that the "man can't change God's creation" argument is made less and less.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 11-16-18, 01:16 PM
JcksnPlrBrs2002 JcksnPlrBrs2002 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-29-18
Posts: 397
JcksnPlrBrs2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
That is pretty ironic actually. You realize that being bled was what the experts of the time (scientist) had come up with. To me it is nothing less than extreme hubris to think man could change the climate.
That's a fairly disingenuous comparison, but feel free to run with it, I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 11-16-18, 01:27 PM
2manyBats 2manyBats is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-15-11
Posts: 325
2manyBats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JcksnPlrBrs2002 View Post
For the most part, I agree. There comes a point though where it's really just not worth the time. If someone comes up to me in 2018 and tries to explain that I'm feeling ill because my "humors are unbalanced" and I "need to be bled, promptly", I'm not going to bother having a debate with them about it. They're crazy, and I don't have time for it. I feel the same way about people trying to present "arguments" against the general scientific consensus about mankind's role with climate change.
I have come to the conclusion ....... that Statement shows - your Just Not Worth the Time

Al Gore had us All Freezing to Death by now ... or is that not what you want to talk about

OBTW...
Tell Al - that he doesn't need to Heat both pools at his Two Mansions at the same --- He's Warming the Climate along with Wasting Energy -- Hypocrite
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 11-16-18, 01:43 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 9,391
winbypin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JcksnPlrBrs2002 View Post
For the most part, I agree. There comes a point though where it's really just not worth the time. If someone comes up to me in 2018 and tries to explain that I'm feeling ill because my "humors are unbalanced" and I "need to be bled, promptly", I'm not going to bother having a debate with them about it. They're crazy, and I don't have time for it. I feel the same way about people trying to present "arguments" against the general scientific consensus about mankind's role with climate change.
Mud, you seem to have time to show up on Yappi again (after taking a couple years off) and try to act intellectually superior to everyone....surely you have time to debate the issues rather than stomping your feet and refusing to engage anyone that has a different opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 11-16-18, 01:44 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 9,391
winbypin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JcksnPlrBrs2002 View Post
It has nothing to do with "liberal/conservative". There's just no need to dignify crazy.

1:53

No, its the liberal mindset to say that if you don't agree with me you're crazy. Fits you perfectly.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 11-16-18, 01:58 PM
JcksnPlrBrs2002 JcksnPlrBrs2002 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-29-18
Posts: 397
JcksnPlrBrs2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Mud, you seem to have time to show up on Yappi again (after taking a couple years off) and try to act intellectually superior to everyone....surely you have time to debate the issues rather than stomping your feet and refusing to engage anyone that has a different opinion.
I don't know what you're talking about. Find another dead horse to beat? It's the last time I'm going to address it.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 11-16-18, 01:59 PM
JcksnPlrBrs2002 JcksnPlrBrs2002 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-29-18
Posts: 397
JcksnPlrBrs2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyBats View Post
I have come to the conclusion ....... that Statement shows - your Just Not Worth the Time

Al Gore had us All Freezing to Death by now ... or is that not what you want to talk about

OBTW...
Tell Al - that he doesn't need to Heat both pools at his Two Mansions at the same --- He's Warming the Climate along with Wasting Energy -- Hypocrite

LOL, then don't take the time. Do me a favor.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 11-16-18, 02:12 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 9,391
winbypin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JcksnPlrBrs2002 View Post
I don't know what you're talking about. Find another dead horse to beat? It's the last time I'm going to address it.
Ok, Ok. You're "not" mud (wink, wink). Your secret is safe with me.

But the point that you missed is that you seem to find time to post on yappi so why not engage with those that have different opinions rather than calling them crazy. Sader's is right, you should want to engage with them in a healthy debate especially if you feel you are that right.

If you don't, it just comes across that you googled some talking points and then tried to pass them off as your own. Which is fine, others on here make a yappi career out of that but don't sit up there on your horse and act like you're intellectually superior to everyone else if you aren't willing to discuss the issues.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 11-16-18, 02:15 PM
Hammerdrill Hammerdrill is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-28-13
Posts: 1,760
Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JcksnPlrBrs2002 View Post
That's a fairly disingenuous comparison, but feel free to run with it, I guess.
Actually it isn't, you do realize that scientists are wrong all the time, and have been wrong more than they have been right? At current, people want us to believe that climate science is settled. There really is nothing more preposterous than that.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 11-16-18, 02:19 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 5,171
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think much good faith debate from either side goes on here. There are of course exceptions here and there, but lecturing Mud about engaging in "healthy debate" rather than calling ideas crazy is a bit humorous given the standard response to most of his/happy/harry's posts is to laugh at them and accuse them of having TDS. Which to be fair, is the appropriate response. But it's also the appropriate response if someone from other side is ranting and raving about any topic where they've obviously based their feelings on emotion rather than logic.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 11-16-18, 02:39 PM
JcksnPlrBrs2002 JcksnPlrBrs2002 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-29-18
Posts: 397
JcksnPlrBrs2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
Actually it isn't, you do realize that scientists are wrong all the time, and have been wrong more than they have been right? At current, people want us to believe that climate science is settled. There really is nothing more preposterous than that.
I think there's a clear and obvious difference between critical analysis of the science involved and insane conspiracy theories from kooks like "the liberals fund scientists to tell us these things because they hate capitalism".
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 11-16-18, 02:42 PM
JcksnPlrBrs2002 JcksnPlrBrs2002 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-29-18
Posts: 397
JcksnPlrBrs2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
But the point that you missed is that you seem to find time to post on yappi so why not engage with those that have different opinions rather than calling them crazy. Sader's is right, you should want to engage with them in a healthy debate especially if you feel you are that right.
For the most part, I agree with Crusaders, and I think most things are up for a real actual debate. For me, a few things don't fall into that that territory. This thread just happened to stroll into one of those areas.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 11-16-18, 03:43 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 9,391
winbypin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
I don't think much good faith debate from either side goes on here. There are of course exceptions here and there, but lecturing Mud about engaging in "healthy debate" rather than calling ideas crazy is a bit humorous given the standard response to most of his/happy/harry's posts is to laugh at them and accuse them of having TDS. Which to be fair, is the appropriate response. But it's also the appropriate response if someone from other side is ranting and raving about any topic where they've obviously based their feelings on emotion rather than logic.
To be fair, I did offer a response to the "wet dirt" guy (he doesn't like the other name) that was to point out where I believe most of the skepticism comes from regarding climate change earlier in the thread.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 11-16-18, 03:47 PM
Hammerdrill Hammerdrill is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-28-13
Posts: 1,760
Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JcksnPlrBrs2002 View Post
I think there's a clear and obvious difference between critical analysis of the science involved and insane conspiracy theories from kooks like "the liberals fund scientists to tell us these things because they hate capitalism".
There are plenty of serious scientist out there who disagree with human induced climate change. And if you think liberal ideology isn't driving much of what you "know" about climate change you are naive.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 11-16-18, 04:13 PM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 3,667
chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JcksnPlrBrs2002 View Post
... insane conspiracy theories from kooks like "the liberals fund scientists to tell us these things because they hate capitalism".
That is better documented than man-made global warming, but don't let facts interfere with your opinions.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 11-16-18, 05:12 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 35,743
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
From experience, there are a number of scientists who do put protecting their funding and their ideology ahead of the science, but they're not a majority. When you have various organizations all over the planet coming to the same conclusions after collecting their own data independently, we can conclude that whatever bias may exist is not significant enough that we need to question the entirety of climate science.

As far as which side is more affected by bias, it is certainly the "skeptic" side, which is almost entirely funded by groups with interests in industries that would be negatively impacted by a consumer demand for "green" practices.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 11-16-18, 06:01 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 18,530
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
imagine all the displaced and extincted critters this would do. A liberal slap fight coming. I say flood!
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 11-18-18, 07:10 PM
EagleGuy EagleGuy is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 06-26-16
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 2,645
EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
How do we know what the "normal" temperature of the Earth is? The Earth is billions of years old. Heat and cold come in cycles, cycles that can last thousands of years. How do we know that we have not lived in the past 10,000 years or so in a cycle of abnormally moderate temperatures? That is what upsets me about the climate change doom-sayers; maybe the Earth is just slowly returning to one of its warmer cycles without man and his fossile fules having anythng to do with it.
Furthermore, how does anyone know? Specifically, how do they know?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
This thread is amazing
Yes, it is. Everyone a comic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
If the world learned how to pull out we would have no problem
Nearly so, yet didn't go over my head! Duly recognized. :grin:
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our efforts to stem global warming must be working Hammerdrill Debate Forum 32 05-19-18 05:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz