Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-04-17, 06:32 PM
Varsity

pricesoccer17 is on a distinguished road
College money for soccer

What are most D1 soccer players in Cincinnati and Dayton getting for athletic Dollars?

What about D2? Whats a good amount for d2? My son was given a higher amount for d2 than d1.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-17, 07:11 AM
All Region

Empty CUP is on a distinguished road
You won't get many honest answers. Tha bulk of parents will tell you their kid got a full ride. Numbers don't lie but soccer mommy's and daddy's do! But from taking with coaches outside my own daughter's school the vast majority are getting well less than half. Any program with over 26 on the roster has many kids getting next to nothing if anything. It's all a numbers game, especially with early commits tying up some money.

As I'm sure you know anyone outside of DIII can offer any amount. Just pick the right school for your kid and enjoy.
Old 09-05-17, 07:32 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty CUP View Post
You won't get many honest answers. Tha bulk of parents will tell you their kid got a full ride. Numbers don't lie but soccer mommy's and daddy's do! But from taking with coaches outside my own daughter's school the vast majority are getting well less than half. Any program with over 26 on the roster has many kids getting next to nothing if anything. It's all a numbers game, especially with early commits tying up some money.

As I'm sure you know anyone outside of DIII can offer any amount. Just pick the right school for your kid and enjoy.
Not sure that most will say their kid is getting a Full Ride but if you factor in other grants and scholarship monies I think many kids are doing ok. I'm not sure how they compensate kids on 30+ rosters but many will have to be getting close to nothing. I guess just the bragging rights that they are on a D1 roster is enough. I never discuss this with parents. I feel like its kind of a taboo subject.
Old 09-05-17, 11:08 AM
Varsity

pricesoccer17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post
Not sure that most will say their kid is getting a Full Ride but if you factor in other grants and scholarship monies I think many kids are doing ok. I'm not sure how they compensate kids on 30+ rosters but many will have to be getting close to nothing. I guess just the bragging rights that they are on a D1 roster is enough. I never discuss this with parents. I feel like its kind of a taboo subject.
Kind of what I've been hearing. I dont think many get full rides. Im curious how many kids really research their options or just go with what mom and dad think is cool. I've heard of many kids getting more athletic dollars from NAIA and D2 schools than D1. Put in the academic money and outside schollys, I think the numbers can be all over the place.

What is a good number for d1, 2, and NAIA.. for an elite level athlete? Minus academic and outside money. Im curious why these kids from upper CUP and ECNL levels would take nothing just to play for a D1 school. My son got quite a few good offers from D2 and NAIA- almost double than D1 AND he will play. Why do some of these kids want to spend the last 4 years playing the sport the love, on the bench just so they can brag about being D1. I will never get it. I will be stearing my daughter the same way.

Last edited by pricesoccer17; 09-05-17 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: adding info
Old 09-05-17, 11:54 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricesoccer17 View Post
Kind of what I've been hearing. I dont think many get full rides. Im curious how many kids really research their options or just go with what mom and dad think is cool. I've heard of many kids getting more athletic dollars from NAIA and D2 schools than D1. Put in the academic money and outside schollys, I think the numbers can be all over the place.

What is a good number for d1, 2, and NAIA.. for an elite level athlete? Minus academic and outside money. Im curious why these kids from upper CUP and ECNL levels would take nothing just to play for a D1 school. My son got quite a few good offers from D2 and NAIA- almost double than D1 AND he will play. Why do some of these kids want to spend the last 4 years playing the sport the love, on the bench just so they can brag about being D1. I will never get it. I will be stearing my daughter the same way.
I'm probably not the right person to ask. We have been very fortunate. There are 14-15 (forget the number) full scholys available for a D1 soccer team. Coaches can split these however they like. If you have 30 girls on the roster and say 6 are getting fulls that leaves 8 or 9 to divide 24 ways. If you are the 3rd/4th goalie or the 7th defender you probably aren't seeing much assistance. I have no idea who is getting what @my daughters university. That conversation has never come up.
Old 09-05-17, 12:45 PM
Freshman

sru is on a distinguished road
My experience is those saying they received a full ride is because their son/daughter received a lot of academic assistance. Just because the NCAA says a school can offer a certain amount of scholarships doesn't mean the school offers that many. Like many above has said with rosters of 26 or more there is only so much money to go around. All things being equal as far as ability a player who can get x amount of academic assistance is a great catch for any soccer program.
Old 09-05-17, 01:58 PM
All World

coachg is on a distinguished road
NAIA - I have heard provides the highest percentage. Anyone with experience on this?
Old 09-05-17, 03:44 PM
Junior Varsity

lovesallsports is on a distinguished road
I know for a fact from personal experience that full rides are offered and given to kids at the D1 level. So those of you that don't believe people it does happen.
Old 09-05-17, 05:53 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesallsports View Post
I know for a fact from personal experience that full rides are offered and given to kids at the D1 level. So those of you that don't believe people it does happen.
Who was arguing that they were not?
Old 09-06-17, 07:57 AM
All American

PantherDad is on a distinguished road
GRADES, GRADES and more Grades! I cannot stress enough how much money is out there for academics to offset the lack of athletic scholly money!
Old 09-06-17, 11:00 AM
All District

Conan73 is on a distinguished road
There are 4 sports that are considered "headcount" sports, meaning they either give full rides or no funds at all. Those are D1 men's football, D1 men's & women's basketball, and D1 women's volleyball. For example, D1 football has a headcount limit of 85 players. So, all 85 will get a full ride (or no scholarship at all, as in the case of the Ivy league). The 86th player will be a walk-on with no scholarship.

All of the other sports have scholarship limits per team. For D1 women's soccer, the limit is 14 scholarships per team. For D2, the limit is 9.9. A school can choose to fund fewer scholarships if it wants to.

Because of this dynamic, most programs limit the number of full ride scholarships they give for soccer (some don't give any at all). Instead, they try and spread the money to as many rostered players as possible. For example, if a team has 28 players rostered, it may give 50% scholarships to all 28 players. The bottom line is that if any one player gets a full ride, someone else on the team will get less.

This is why grades matter for sports like soccer, baseball, track, etc. The odds of getting a full ride or anything close to a full ride are slim. So, if a student has good grades, they can supplement the athletic scholarship money with academic based aid. This is also why some will choose a competitive D3 program. In some cases the financial award will be the same or greater...
Old 09-06-17, 11:00 AM
Freshman

ECNL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pricesoccer17 View Post
Elite level athletes at the D1 level...anywhere from 70% to a full athletic scholarship. Key word is Elite. Elite level at a "Power 5" may not be the same as an Elite player at a lower D1. However, both may be getting the same %...just at a different level / tier.
Old 09-06-17, 12:19 PM
All American

buckshooter5 is on a distinguished road
Now that our fast food industry is transforming to touchpads, the college scholly does not look so good. Maybe working on a marketable skill, so that Lil Mia can compete in the workforce, would be a better use of time and money. Just a thought.
Old 09-06-17, 03:05 PM
All District

2731 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshooter5 View Post
Now that our fast food industry is transforming to touchpads, the college scholly does not look so good. Maybe working on a marketable skill, so that Lil Mia can compete in the workforce, would be a better use of time and money. Just a thought.
It's ok man, you'll figure those pesky touchpads out, just give it time.
Old 09-06-17, 08:15 PM
All District

Hoosier Parent is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbyb View Post
Any coach offering a full ATHLETIC scholarship to a women's soccer player will not be coaching very long.

Very easy though to put together a full ride package.

Example: Xavier University $50K (tuition + room and board)

3.5 HS GPA or higher will get you 15K
28 or higher ACT will get you $9-20K
1/5 Athletic Scholarship Gets you $10K
Federal Financial Aid $5K

Full ride only using 1/5 of 1 athletic scholarship.
Just curious Seb, are those numbers close or anecdotal?
Old 09-07-17, 07:33 AM
All American

Numbers are off base. If the parents make bucks, kid gets hammered. Lil Pudgy with parents making 20K gets more than Lil Mia with parents making 200K. Or we can discuss the over inflated price of tuition to begin with. Lot of money to pay out for a History Major.
Old 09-07-17, 07:50 AM
Freshman

pure class is on a distinguished road
additionally, the GPA and ACT being in separate categories is double counting - they wont get money for both - generally they will qualify for a level of merit money based on overall academic performance and the private schools are not as generous with their money as you might think.

A really good ACT score and a good GPA might get you a total of 40-50% of tuition but not of room and board. I.E. Xavier's merit scholarships are between $9,000 and $20,000 total. They do offer full tuition but that is only given to 10 students. So an academic stud can only count on $20,000 which still leaves $30,000 left for the family. So even at 50% athletic money the family is still left with $5,000 out of pocket and that is assuming the kid maxes out academic money.

Realistically - this is what Xavier might look like for a good student and a good player:

Total Cost - $50,000
Academic money - $15,000
Athletic money 25% - $12,500

That leaves $22,500 left for the family or for loans. Is it worth that to have your daughter play soccer when they can go to UC for less than that? Or Miami for less than that, or OU for a lot less than that and not play soccer? At some point you have to weigh the desire to play soccer and whether it is worth them coming out of college with $50,000 in loans or going to a state school and having zero debt since they are all going to be professional in something other than soccer.

If you have good qualifications for merit money and you are a minority then that is a different story.
Old 09-07-17, 09:20 AM
All District

Hoosier Parent is on a distinguished road
What I'm curious about is the academic money for the privates like Xavier and Dayton, Butler, etc for GPA and/or ACT/SAT of 31/1300. Small provites like a Hanover can/will give merit $ of around $20k
Old 09-07-17, 09:38 AM
All American

PantherDad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Parent View Post
What I'm curious about is the academic money for the privates like Xavier and Dayton, Butler, etc for GPA and/or ACT/SAT of 31/1300. Small provites like a Hanover can/will give merit $ of around $20k
Thomas More takes $13,000 off right off the bat if you graduated from a Catholic HS and out of state money. Our Daughter's tuition is well below what we would've paid at UC.
Old 09-07-17, 09:38 AM
Freshman

BluBurd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Parent View Post
XU's Chancellor scholarship is for top 5%, 31 ACT, 1360 SAT and was $15k in 2016.
Old 09-07-17, 09:41 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDad View Post
Thomas More takes $13,000 off right off the bat if you graduated from a Catholic HS and out of state money. Our Daughter's tuition is well below what we would've paid at UC.
This screams white privilege. SMH
Old 09-07-17, 09:46 AM
All District

Quote:
Numbers are off base. If the parents make bucks, kid gets hammered. Lil Pudgy with parents making 20K gets more than Lil Mia with parents making 200K. Or we can discuss the over inflated price of tuition to begin with. Lot of money to pay out for a History Major.
A lot of Catholic schools (Xavier, Dayton, DePaul, St Louis, etc) give money right off the bat based on ACT/SAT and GPA scores. These are available to all, regardless of income level. Like every other university, additional money is available based on need.
Old 09-07-17, 09:48 AM
All District

Quote:
This screams white privilege. SMH
You're assuming that only white kids graduate from Catholic high schools?
Old 09-07-17, 09:58 AM
All American

80% are indeed white. My point is 100% correct.
Old 09-07-17, 11:25 AM
GO ELKS!

ELKSONE is an unknown quantity at this point
Just happened on this site for scores and noticed this discussion. Although I don't have a daughter playing college soccer, I do have a son who plays for a DII school as a freshman this year. He was late to the recruiting game and therefore was asked to come up for a 2 day tryout and was offered a spot after the first day. Unfortunately there was no more money to be offered. However, that being said, based on his ACT score he was given a "Presidents Scholarship" which consisted of 25% off his tuition. I believe the soccer money available will be about the same if he were to be offered that next year.
Old 09-07-17, 11:29 AM
All District

fluffernut is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Now it all makes sense!! Always wondered why you were so angry all the time...(cue the snowflake music...)
Old 09-07-17, 12:46 PM
All World

I'd say at least 80% are White in 90% of all the HS in Cinn/Dayton. In fact I'll bet 25% of the GCL Coed schools (i.e. Purcell and CJ are predominately black)

Last edited by Irwin20; 09-07-17 at 01:51 PM..
Old 09-07-17, 01:44 PM
All American

ammtd34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
But then you'd have to find another subset of 14-18 year olds to make fun of.
Old 09-07-17, 01:51 PM
All District

Quote:
Thomas Moore is a Catholic school. Giving a discount to graduates of a Catholic high school is not white privilege. It's religious privilege or preference.
Old 09-07-17, 05:41 PM
All American

OK, that is not white privilege. SMH

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: