Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-02-17, 09:00 PM
TheGreatElk TheGreatElk is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-17-15
Posts: 79
TheGreatElk is on a distinguished road
Peter Pullen

Heard a disturbing rumor today that Peter Pullen is out as Dunbar's basketball coach! Can this be true? What is going on with Baker?! How do you get rid of one of the most successful coaches in Ohio and DPS history?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 09-03-17, 07:52 AM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 592
my2sense is on a distinguished road
That's not a real name right? Is that a porn star name?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-03-17, 05:24 PM
Carl Rick Carl Rick is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-28-09
Posts: 2,179
Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Did he retire or give up coaching duties?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-03-17, 07:26 PM
hvs1717 hvs1717 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-04-14
Posts: 129
hvs1717 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElk View Post
Heard a disturbing rumor today that Peter Pullen is out as Dunbar's basketball coach! Can this be true? What is going on with Baker?! How do you get rid of one of the most successful coaches in Ohio and DPS history?
Chuck Taylor the Stivers assistant is taking over as Head Coach, I had heard.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-03-17, 10:16 PM
Bull_Elk Bull_Elk is online now
All District
 
Join Date: 10-10-14
Posts: 147
Bull_Elk is on a distinguished road
There is this blog post by David Esrati that mentions the dismissal of Coach Pete Pullen:

https://esrati.com/dps-fires-a-legend/14883

This could get interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-04-17, 08:43 AM
CometCountry CometCountry is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-06-05
Posts: 2,246
CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs1717 View Post
Chuck Taylor the Stivers assistant is taking over as Head Coach, I had heard.
Just wondering if his teams wear Converse--Chuck Taylor!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-04-17, 10:46 AM
Carl Rick Carl Rick is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-28-09
Posts: 2,179
Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
This is stunning. The guy was a pillar at Dayton Public. School administrators don't always have a clue about athletics or integrity. Coach Pullen was one of the best teachers in DPS. Whatever her name is who fired him knows nothing of the educational value of athletics. Coach Pullen will be fine, the students are the losers here.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-04-17, 04:43 PM
Bull_Elk Bull_Elk is online now
All District
 
Join Date: 10-10-14
Posts: 147
Bull_Elk is on a distinguished road
I see this news report confirming the rumor reported that Pete Pullen is out as head basketball coach of Dayton Dunbar:

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/sp...yt8Jo3RTSvFpL/
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-04-17, 07:34 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 16,379
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
PETE PULLEN Age: 63
Dunbar boys: 13 seasons, 289-54 record, 4 D-II state titles, 6 final fours.
A repercussion of the football fiasco? Didn't he already fall on the sword for that one?
Quote:
Dayton Public Schools wanted to “move in a new direction.”
The district does understand what "move in a new direction" means? There's no side-ways.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-04-17, 07:51 PM
Carl Rick Carl Rick is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-28-09
Posts: 2,179
Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Here is what occurred.
Coach Pullen told the truth about the football game fiasco.
DPS AD Baker is not happy he told the truth.
DPS district is punished by OHSAA.
Baker and other administrators upset Pullen told the truth, didn't protect them, etc.
Administrators make decision to fire Pullen. It is up to AD Baker to find enough reasons to do so.
A great Dunbar educator is let go for telling the truth. Meanwhile the guilty parties of the football fiasco continue in their roles.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-04-17, 07:53 PM
Yellow_Jacket06 Yellow_Jacket06 is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: The Hive
Posts: 29,924
Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
He certainly won't have a lack of options elsewhere. I can imagine many schools will be trying to reel him in.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-05-17, 07:11 AM
Perk Diggler Perk Diggler is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-30-14
Posts: 288
Perk Diggler is on a distinguished road
The DPS s* show continues!!! What is their purpose??
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-05-17, 09:31 AM
Warrior78's Avatar
Warrior78 Warrior78 is offline
Proud Dad of a US Marine
 
Join Date: 10-05-05
Location: Warrior Way
Posts: 2,826
Warrior78 is on a distinguished road
Wayne needs a coach...Coach Pullen can move to Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-05-17, 09:57 AM
Bull_Elk Bull_Elk is online now
All District
 
Join Date: 10-10-14
Posts: 147
Bull_Elk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior78 View Post
Wayne needs a coach...Coach Pullen can move to Wayne.
I heard Wayne recently hired one of their assistant coaches to be the head coach, but maybe just a rumor.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-05-17, 10:35 AM
hvs1717 hvs1717 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-04-14
Posts: 129
hvs1717 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior78 View Post
Wayne needs a coach...Coach Pullen can move to Wayne.
They promoted one of their JV coaches, Nate Martindale. According to one of the articles referenced above, Pullen applied at Wayne and they took Kuwick.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-05-17, 09:01 PM
John336 John336 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 12-23-04
Posts: 994
John336 is on a distinguished road
Pullen will be the head coach at the beginning of the season. The Dunbar community will not stand for this nonsense.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-06-17, 07:45 AM
Eagles123 Eagles123 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-11-16
Posts: 99
Eagles123 is on a distinguished road
What happened with the football team?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-06-17, 08:44 AM
Carl Rick Carl Rick is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-28-09
Posts: 2,179
Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles123 View Post
What happened with the football team?
Google it, Dunbar throwing football game.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-06-17, 10:40 AM
Eagles123 Eagles123 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-11-16
Posts: 99
Eagles123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
Google it, Dunbar throwing football game.
If I google it theres no need to be involved in a discussion forum. Looking for perspective.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-06-17, 11:16 AM
Carl Rick Carl Rick is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-28-09
Posts: 2,179
Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles123 View Post
If I google it theres no need to be involved in a discussion forum. Looking for perspective.
OK, thought you wanted to know the facts about the football game. You can watch the video to see what occurred.
There are opposing sides about what occurred. AD Baker says he didn't tell them to throw the game. The video tells a great deal.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-06-17, 01:19 PM
Eagles123 Eagles123 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-11-16
Posts: 99
Eagles123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
OK, thought you wanted to know the facts about the football game. You can watch the video to see what occurred.
There are opposing sides about what occurred. AD Baker says he didn't tell them to throw the game. The video tells a great deal.
Thank you. Ill check the video.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-06-17, 01:35 PM
Eagles123 Eagles123 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-11-16
Posts: 99
Eagles123 is on a distinguished road
So is the consensus that Baker told them to throw the game? From what I have found out he was not ruled to have done wrong by the super.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-06-17, 04:05 PM
hvs1717 hvs1717 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-04-14
Posts: 129
hvs1717 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles123 View Post
So is the consensus that Baker told them to throw the game? From what I have found out he was not ruled to have done wrong by the super.
Dunbar had a player that should have been ruled ineligible for the Oct 21 game against Taft. Pullen, the AD, made a mistake and only checked the players GPA and didn't realize he didn't have enough credits so they thought he was eligible. The Dunbar Principal told the coaches not to play the player just to be safe. They played him anyway. The player was also playing during the Belmont-Dunbar game on Oct 28. This is where there is a lot of he said/she said kind of stuff. According to the Dunbar coaches, Baker approached them at halftime and told them that if they threw the game in the second half, then they wouldn't get in trouble for playing an ineligible player and it will get both Dunbar and Belmont into the playoffs. Dunbar's players made such an obvious attempt to throw the game (there is video of this) that the refs stopped the game and told the coaches that if it didn't stop immediately the game would be called. So Dunbar played the rest of the game. Dunbar ended up winning the game and then they forfeited both the Taft and Belmont games causing them and a few other teams that through strength of schedule would have qualified to miss the playoffs. Then afterwards, Baker got a job extension and the school board did nothing to punish anyone at that time. Their official stance was, "We just want to put this behind us and move forward." Pullen did step down as AD and then Baker didn't renew Powell for football or Pullen for basketball. Powell got his job back because the Dunbar families were not happy. That is most of the story.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-07-17, 11:45 AM
Eagles123 Eagles123 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-11-16
Posts: 99
Eagles123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs1717 View Post
Dunbar had a player that should have been ruled ineligible for the Oct 21 game against Taft. Pullen, the AD, made a mistake and only checked the players GPA and didn't realize he didn't have enough credits so they thought he was eligible. The Dunbar Principal told the coaches not to play the player just to be safe. They played him anyway. The player was also playing during the Belmont-Dunbar game on Oct 28. This is where there is a lot of he said/she said kind of stuff. According to the Dunbar coaches, Baker approached them at halftime and told them that if they threw the game in the second half, then they wouldn't get in trouble for playing an ineligible player and it will get both Dunbar and Belmont into the playoffs. Dunbar's players made such an obvious attempt to throw the game (there is video of this) that the refs stopped the game and told the coaches that if it didn't stop immediately the game would be called. So Dunbar played the rest of the game. Dunbar ended up winning the game and then they forfeited both the Taft and Belmont games causing them and a few other teams that through strength of schedule would have qualified to miss the playoffs. Then afterwards, Baker got a job extension and the school board did nothing to punish anyone at that time. Their official stance was, "We just want to put this behind us and move forward." Pullen did step down as AD and then Baker didn't renew Powell for football or Pullen for basketball. Powell got his job back because the Dunbar families were not happy. That is most of the story.
Who is the community siding with?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-08-17, 04:42 PM
Sgt Friday Sgt Friday is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-11-05
Posts: 471
Sgt Friday is on a distinguished road
Not sure what's going on at Dunbar but I'm still shocked the two Dunbar kids transferred to Spire. Something isn't right when you lose two talents like that their senior year imo


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-09-17, 11:16 PM
Carl Rick Carl Rick is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-28-09
Posts: 2,179
Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles123 View Post
So is the consensus that Baker told them to throw the game? From what I have found out he was not ruled to have done wrong by the super.
Do you think the super really knows or is just playing cya?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-12-17, 01:46 PM
EagleFan's Avatar
EagleFan EagleFan is online now
Fan of Eagle
 
Join Date: 03-04-02
Location: Avon
Posts: 19,438
EagleFan will become famous soon enough
Truly from an outsider perspective it is amazing Baker has a job there
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-13-17, 05:09 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 16,379
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
It's amazing Mr. Pullen's parents named him "Peter." Yeah not the thread topic but it was brought up, so I'm guiltless. Man with that name has only one choice in life, be good at it.

Apparently, he is. Hope him the best. I'd invite him up here to coach but we're WAY too childish.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-21-17, 08:22 AM
Groundhog Day Groundhog Day is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-20-16
Posts: 42
Groundhog Day is on a distinguished road
Pullen Officially Out

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...Lnpwg6yuZT0hN/
It's official. Note the BOE members who voted no; the system was rigged and/or flawed and that all goes back to Baker. Look for other coaches who Baker doesn't like to be pushed out as well.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-21-17, 10:58 AM
hvs1717 hvs1717 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-04-14
Posts: 129
hvs1717 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog Day View Post
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...Lnpwg6yuZT0hN/
It's official. Note the BOE members who voted no; the system was rigged and/or flawed and that all goes back to Baker. Look for other coaches who Baker doesn't like to be pushed out as well.
So let's see if I understand this correctly. Pullen was Girls Head Coach for 6 years and went 109-29, never losing to a city league opponent. He was Boys Head Coach for 13 years and went 289-54 with 4 state championships and 6 final fours. And he lost his job because another guy interviewed better? Are you kidding me? Pullen screwed up as AD and stepped down. That was the right thing to do. It has nothing to do with his coaching. As soon as he was up for rehiring, it should have been approved.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz