Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-07-17, 10:12 PM
Junior Varsity

OhioHSBasketballFan is an unknown quantity at this point
Gafney leaving VASJ

to Garfield Hts.

Heard it from two sources in NEO
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-17, 09:09 AM
All District

CleveHoopFan08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioHSBasketballFan View Post
to Garfield Hts.

Heard it from two sources in NEO
Hmmmm . . . for what reason?
Old 06-08-17, 09:56 AM
Varsity

mcm.1019 is on a distinguished road
Better contract?
Old 06-08-17, 08:40 PM
All World

troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
Cellphone Sonny is smiling!
Old 06-09-17, 10:56 AM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes it is true. Very sad as he is a nice young man and loved being at the school. The Viking family wishes him well.
Old 06-09-17, 01:06 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugnMaul78 View Post
Yes it is true. Very sad as he is a nice young man and loved being at the school. The Viking family wishes him well.
He apparently didn't love being at the school quite enough...
Old 06-09-17, 02:07 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
He apparently didn't love being at the school quite enough...
Not true. He is still a minor.
Old 06-09-17, 05:13 PM
All American

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
We will see how it turns out. Supposedly it was a basketball decision ? He was going to be a leader and center piece on the defending state champions. He has been at VASJ two years and has played in two state championship games - and has one ring. He has played on ESPN and against some of the best talent in the nation. Not sure how you do better than that. It's a good thing for him he got to experience Columbus as a Viking because the odds of him getting there the next two season at GH is slim based on the squad Ed's will put on the floor th next few years. Time will tell if his Father made the right choice. Leaving a great program and more importantly a school that is demanding to attend a pubic school with less educational structure is head scratching. Nobody wishes him failure or ill willbut on paper I fail to see where this is an improvement on or off the court.
Old 06-09-17, 05:34 PM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
We will see how it turns out. Supposedly it was a basketball decision ? He was going to be a leader and center piece on the defending state champions. He has been at VASJ two years and has played in two state championship games - and has one ring. He has played on ESPN and against some of the best talent in the nation. Not sure how you do better than that. It's a good thing for him he got to experience Columbus as a Viking because the odds of him getting there the next two season at GH is slim based on the squad Ed's will put on the floor th next few years. Time will tell if his Father made the right choice. Leaving a great program and more importantly a school that is demanding to attend a pubic school with less educational structure is head scratching. Nobody wishes him failure or ill willbut on paper I fail to see where this is an improvement on or off the court.
You defended all the transfers to Lutheran East. You should be fine with what GH does. They have a good record of sending kids to college ball. So does VASJ. It's a family decision, though. I wish him the best.
Old 06-09-17, 05:53 PM
All American

First off I did not defend all the transfers to East - I just stated they did nothing wrong. I was actually pulling for Bothwell and CCA. Gaffney did nothing wrong and I wish him no ill will. It's not like he is leaving a bad program to play for a better one. The big difference will be the actual school. GH is nowhere near VASJ as far as education goes. I guess that is not important in the family decision. Some students do just fine and some don't in a large public school setting that is far less demanding. We will see which one Zo is. He is a good kid and I think people truly wish him well - it's just a confusing move.
Old 06-09-17, 07:11 PM
All World

3out2in is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like there's a parent who likes to shop their kid around, although it wouldn't be the first time Cellphone Sonny initiated contact with another school's player.
Old 06-09-17, 09:11 PM
All American

Exactly if a young man is a good student he will be fine. Does he need to sit out the first 11 games as dictated by the Ohio transfer rule ? The rumor last year was that he was going to McKinley. This would not be the first time a parent shopped their kid and it won't be the last. I'm not a big fan of transfers coming in or leaving a program - but the rule is the rule. I also believe if a player does not want to be at your school or program then good riddance, let them go where they think they will be happy. In most cases it does not turn out as well as they think.
Old 06-11-17, 01:07 PM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Exactly if a young man is a good student he will be fine. Does he need to sit out the first 11 games as dictated by the Ohio transfer rule ? The rumor last year was that he was going to McKinley. This would not be the first time a parent shopped their kid and it won't be the last. I'm not a big fan of transfers coming in or leaving a program - but the rule is the rule. I also believe if a player does not want to be at your school or program then good riddance, let them go where they think they will be happy. In most cases it does not turn out as well as they think.
Zo's dad is a friend with McKinley's coach.If he would have found a job in Canton Zo would be at McKinley.
Old 06-11-17, 09:04 PM
All Region

James x2 is on a distinguished road
F the dad

Who is this guy? Living his life vicariously through his son.LaVar Ball Jr. Have a nice life.Next man up. EFF the father like I said.Hail Red & Blue
Old 06-11-17, 09:31 PM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
Who is this guy? Living his life vicariously through his son.LaVar Ball Jr. Have a nice life.Next man up. EFF the father like I said.Hail Red & Blue
Are you paying his family's bills? He gets to make the choices for his kids.
Old 06-12-17, 04:40 PM
Varsity

CCA Fan is on a distinguished road
VASJ - Transfer

Anyone at the VASJ - Warren JFK saw Gafney getting punked by McQueen and acting like a girl about it. I am sure Gafney wants to play the "3" and shoot outside shoots instead of going inside and grinding. During a timeout he actually refused to go back into the game.

VASJ does have a little bit of arrogance in "how well they do things" but in my opinion it is warranted. Great coach and team discipline. I think it is what Gafney needs BUT

Who cares what I think? His dad and maybe Alonzo thinks the grass is greener playing "loose and free" for Sonny. Sonny has a great track record of getting his kids college scholarships. The fact that I don't like all the transfers means a whole lot of nothing. Maybe this is like Dremond Green, I can't stand him unless he was playing for the Cavs. I don't like Gafney transferring unless he was coming to CCA.
Old 06-12-17, 06:59 PM
All American

This is America and a kid or a Father is free to do what they want. I don't see where leaving VASJ is either a move up or even a lateral move. If he in fact has to sit out 11 games - how is that a good thing. The main thing is the structure and acedemic structure a school like VASJ provides. Some kids need others to help keep them focused and on the straight and narrow. I'm not very sure based on Garfield Heights ranking that is an option. Sonny I'm sure wants Zo for basketball - but there is more to life than hoops. I'm not saying this is the same situation - but it very easily could be. Remember Quinton Dove. He lost a full ride to Rider because he fell through the cracks after transferring to Euclid and then experienced acedemic trouble. Some VASJ fans have spewed venom - I won't. I like Zo and wished he would stay. I don't wish him failure, but I have lost respect for him. This was his year to grow as a man and be the leader on a defending state champion team and he bolted. His family will soon find out that a large public is much different than a small private school and that the road will have many more pot holes. IF Zo can focus on and off the court and avoid those damaging pot holes he will be just fine.
Old 06-12-17, 07:31 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I don't wish him failure, but I have lost respect for him.
It was not the young man's decision, so he has not lost my respect. The persons around him though need to really look in the mirror and determine if they really are making the move for the right reasons. If they can truly look in the mirror and say yes to that, then again, I wish the entire family well. For Alonzo's sake though, I hope the Garfield Hts community and their coach cares about Alonzo as a person and student as much as his VASJ family did.
Old 06-12-17, 09:11 PM
All District

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
True colors are coming out. When they are coming in its great, but when they are walking away it's a mistake.
Old 06-12-17, 11:41 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
True colors are coming out. When they are coming in its great, but when they are walking away it's a mistake.
As a non-VASJ person I have to disagree with you. Most VASJ fans on here have wished the kid well. They may question the father's motives, but most have wished him well.
VASJ can take the high road over Garfield Hts (most schools can) on this. They don't generally get the kids that transfer in the middle of their hs careers.
Old 06-12-17, 11:56 PM
All Region

Garfield hts basketball factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Are you paying his family's bills? He gets to make the choices for his kids.
Rumors of shopping him to Canton last year.Grew up blocks from the school.Won a championship.Got Babe for a coach.With Higgins they where a nice combo.Two championship games in two years.No lack of competition or schedule.Vikes get guys into ANYWHERE if their good enough.Sonny don't have the market on in that respect.LaVar Ball for real.Figures someone would defend the bull transfer situation.And I get to give my opinion on the LaVar Ball wannabe.His choice or his kids? That's the trouble.Wake the f up.

Last edited by James x2; 06-13-17 at 12:06 AM. Reason: change title
Old 06-13-17, 12:01 AM
All Region

Rather have Babe coach my son

Hope that kid doesn't end up like Devin Carter who also had a meddling father.Ended up at John Hay.Could have won championships at Vasj.Wasted career.
Old 06-13-17, 12:15 AM
All Region

On second thought

Next man up.Lets go Vikes.There will be another to replace him.Always is as VASJ.Hail Red and Blue
Old 06-13-17, 12:16 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
Sorry, but no. VASJ fans love to play the "holier than thou" card when it comes to how they fill out their basketball roster, but let's not kid ourselves, they are bringing in their share of hired guns to help them win titles in the lower divisions. The apparent shock and anger when some of these kids then decide that they want a different situation is ridiculous.

Or maybe he'll end up like Jaylen Harris.
He underachieved in basketball badly.Or didn't you watch? Lazy,attitude,etc. Football was a different story.Still has attitude troubles
Old 06-13-17, 08:17 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3out2in View Post
As a non-VASJ person I have to disagree with you. Most VASJ fans on here have wished the kid well. They may question the father's motives, but most have wished him well.
VASJ can take the high road over Garfield Hts (most schools can) on this. They don't generally get the kids that transfer in the middle of their hs careers.
They have a competitive balance figure of 98, so they obviously do not have their players coming up thru their feeder schools.
Old 06-13-17, 12:07 PM
All World

Quote:
They have a competitive balance figure of 98, so they obviously do not have their players coming up thru their feeder schools.
Read my original post. That doesn't mean they are transferring in midway through their hs careers. They get some that enroll as freshmen that aren't through their feeder schools. This is a hell of a lot more legit than what some publics do (and I'm a public school guy).
Old 06-13-17, 01:05 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3out2in View Post
Read my original post. That doesn't mean they are transferring in midway through their hs careers. They get some that enroll as freshmen that aren't through their feeder schools. This is a hell of a lot more legit than what some publics do (and I'm a public school guy).
With a CB figure of 98 you are talking about probably 50% of the basketball program. To most of us that is more than some.
Old 06-13-17, 03:40 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
Sorry, but no. VASJ fans love to play the "holier than thou" card when it comes to how they fill out their basketball roster, but let's not kid ourselves, they are bringing in their share of hired guns to help them win titles in the lower divisions. The apparent shock and anger when some of these kids then decide that they want a different situation is ridiculous.

Or maybe he'll end up like Jaylen Harris.
The kid was not a hired gun, he was a neighborhood kid who went to Catholic grade school 2 miles down Lakeshore Blvd.

Yes he could end up like Jaylen Harris. Jaylen was being looked at byOhio State for a football scholarship after his freshman season at VASJ. The fact that he didn't get a legit DI basketball offer is telling.
Old 06-13-17, 03:56 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
The whole competitive balance feeder school issue is distorted for private schools. I don't know what specific school or schools were picked as our designated feeders but our traditional feeder schools are a collection of many small Catholic and other private schools, that also feed other private high schools. In our immediate area (2 or 3 miles radius, 1/2 is Lake Erie) alone, it is Our Lady of the Lake, St Williams, St Jerome, and St John Lutheran. Next group out from there is St Paschal's, St Aloyisus, St John Vianny at Borremeo. It's not like we have one large feeder school like the public's. If Our Lady of the Lake was picked, that school only has 8th grade classes of maybe 40 or 45 and not all of them go to VASJ.

Last edited by MugnMaul78; 06-13-17 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-14-17, 04:46 AM
All District

Non-public high schools can have multiple feeder schools as long as they are within a certain distance and of the same system of education. A feeder school can also be used by multiple non-public HS. If all the athletes in the HS program came from the feeder schools the competitive balance number would be 0. What your competitive balance number indicates is that about 50% of the players in the HS basketball program do not attend your feeder schools.