Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-05-17, 08:28 PM
All American

eliwes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
eliwes, you quoted Neverwrestled's comment and then just posted a random comment of your own? What's the point?
Eds care more about academics osu care more about athletics. You get more for your buck at eds. What about rodriguez. They should have stressed the importance of his education instead they let him walk
Old 05-05-17, 11:22 PM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwes View Post
Eds care more about academics osu care more about athletics. You get more for your buck at eds. What about rodriguez. They should have stressed the importance of his education instead they let him walk
How do you know what the conversation was? You can't force someone to stay against their will Kim jung! Smh
Old 05-05-17, 11:22 PM
Junior Varsity

Neverwrestled is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Eds wrestlers go to eds to be apart of one of the best teams in the country period. The academics are a bonus so you get the best of both worlds
Old 05-05-17, 11:25 PM
Junior Varsity

Neverwrestled is on a distinguished road
The point earlier in the thread was that you might not get the stud due to the cost of attendence. Public schools have come along way and catching up compared to 25 years ago
Old 05-06-17, 11:05 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthelites View Post
How do you know what the conversation was? You can't force someone to stay against their will Kim jung! Smh
the point being he was given financial support to help the wrestling team and get an education. nato was a good wrestling partner and if he got hurt jose would be able to help the team. now he has neither and I blame the administration.
Old 05-06-17, 12:46 PM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
Quote:
the point being he was given financial support to help the wrestling team and get an education. nato was a good wrestling partner and if he got hurt jose would be able to help the team. now he has neither and I blame the administration.
I'm sure he was getting something but doubt it was more than a qtr scholly or half at most. The kid saw the writing on the wall.
He grew out of the only spot he could compete as a starter their 125.
He wants to move on to start somewhere else. I can't fault the kid there. I'd rather the kid stay, but I have no ill will towards him. Maybe something else happened??? Hard to make the lineup at the best(save psu) program in the country. Yet you blame the admin...err TR for him leaving. Always a hater lol! Smdh
Old 05-06-17, 07:43 PM
All American

CuriousGeorge1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverwrestled View Post
Agreed but can get same academics at most public school unless you make the argument with someone that is catholic
This is just not true. St. Edward's Pre-engineering program is sensational and not found in many public schools. The International Baccalaureate program is fantastic as well and includes a full IB diploma track, something that many public "IB" programs are unable to achieve. The Debate program is the only program in the school to have won more State Championships than the wrestling program.

Also, two of the biggest factors in a student's learning is class size and the elimination of distractions in the learning environment. Those are two areas where a private school has a huge advantage over their public counterpart.

Plus, the networking for a person's post education life is worth its weight in gold. I can't even tell you how many doors being a St. Edward alum has assisted in opening over the course of my life. Associations such as "Legal Eagles" (Alumni that are attorneys) routinely assist former students gain admittance into law schools and make introductions post law school for internships and employment opportunities.

So, while the homework may be the same in a Bristish Literature class at Strongsville High School and St. Edward, but there is a lot more that goes into the overall experience.

As for the wrestlers...

Take a look at how many St. Edward wrestlers have gone to Ivy League schools, Northwestern, U of Chicago, Michigan, Case, JCU, Naval Academy, West Point, Air Force, or other elite academic institutions over the last couple decades. It is truly AMAZING! I can think of over a dozen Ivy League kids of the top of my head and another dozen at Northwestern or Michigan alone. St. Edward currently has alumni wrestlers at Harvard, Columbia, Princeton, Northwestern, Penn, Chicago, Case, JCU, BW, Ohio State, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Old Dominion, Mercyhurst, Kent, Pitt, Virginia, Virgina Tech, and Oklahoma State. I am missing a couple also.

Next year adds another 7 alums who are planning on wrestling in college, perhaps more.

Last edited by CuriousGeorge1; 05-11-17 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-08-17, 09:05 AM
Freshman

CHINWHIIP is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
You want a wrestling schoralship / money from Ed's just tell them your coming to E town and they will pony up the dough.

What the hell is a " schoralship "??? is that a type of maritime vessel??? Hey windowlicker, You must have rode in the short bus to school. Jealous much!!! Obviously your kid couldn't cut it academically at Ed's or just was/is not that good of a wrestler. SORRY
Old 05-08-17, 10:10 AM
Freshman

CHINWHIIP is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You must of missed the Hepner vs Fenton match few weeks ago. It's on flo if you need to see it. Unless Hepner going 113 again. I like Andonian chances what ever weight he goes he will be in the running.
Thanks for the update...Freestyle, were talking freestyle
Old 05-08-17, 07:03 PM
All American

Quote:
You must of missed the Hepner vs Fenton match few weeks ago. It's on flo if you need to see it. Unless Hepner going 113 again. I like Andonian chances what ever weight he goes he will be in the running.
and you must have missed the andonian match. but I agree he will be in the running.
Old 05-08-17, 07:43 PM
All Region

roughedge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
and you must have missed the andonian match. but I agree he will be in the running.
I remember who won the state title.

Last edited by roughedge; 05-08-17 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-08-17, 07:50 PM
All American

elliotlewis is on a distinguished road
KaBoom!
Old 05-09-17, 06:31 AM
All American

Quote:
I remember who won the state title.
5th place last year and the two wrestlers that beat him are returning. it was hard for andonian to win another st title when he moved up 2 wt classes.
Old 05-09-17, 01:40 PM
All District

pintowin27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
5th place last year and the two wrestlers that beat him are returning. it was hard for andonian to win another st title when he moved up 2 wt classes.
Gio agrees
Old 05-09-17, 05:39 PM
All Region

Quote:
Andonian could move up 2 more weights and win a state title. I believe he is Ed's best light weight kid to have a chance to win a state title next year. His style has him in every match and he can pin from any position. Matt Kazimir would be a close 2nd. He a machine if gets the boots in.
Old 05-09-17, 06:27 PM
All American

Quote:
Andonian could move up 2 more weights and win a state title. I believe he is Ed's best light weight kid to have a chance to win a state title next year. His style has him in every match and he can pin from any position. Matt Kazimir would be a close 2nd. He a machine if gets the boots in.
I hope your right but too many studs coming back that beat both twice . Hepner would be my choice to win a title.
Old 05-11-17, 01:42 AM
All American

Quote:
its going be tough for eds to win a state title in the lower weights with the tag boys, fields, fenton ,heil ,byrd, burnett, disabato, shawver,and north all coming back. its going to be a wild wrestling season coming up.
I agree with you in the sense that it is hard for anyone regardless of how talented to win a State Title in DI in Ohio. However, looking at the 10 wrestlers you listed as guys who will prevent Ed's wrestlers from winning individual titles, I have to pause, because over half of them have already lost to one of the St. Edward wrestlers in question.

I agree all of the wrestlers you mentioned are tough and could potentially take home a title. Obviously a couple of them already have; Tagg, Fenton, and Fields. However, any sane person would also add Andonian who has already won one as well, Hepner who was runner up as a Freshmen and Richter who had beat him out for a portion of the season, Kazimir who was favored by every "ranker" and has placed multiple times, and Rini who was nationally ranked and beat Burnett at the State Tournament last year. I wouldn't say any these wrestlers are overwhelming favorites to win a title next year, but certainly all of them could be contenders.

I also happen to think Andonian is going to go up another couple weight classes. He just looks so lean and tall. He was already competing at 132 just last month. So, he might be looking at someone like Regalbuto as his biggest obstacle at 138. Teenagers hit growth spurts and then fill out. Andonian definitely had a growth spurt, now as to how much he fills out, we shall see. The season is a LONG way away. I could see him being a 152-160 his senior year though easy.
Old 05-11-17, 02:07 AM
All Ohio

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
All 8 of those placers from D1 120lbs will be back. Question is who will be at what weight?
Old 05-11-17, 05:04 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmalice View Post
all 8 of those placers from d1 120lbs will be back. Question is who will be at what weight?
Old 05-11-17, 03:04 PM
All Ohio

wrestling125 is on a distinguished road
Gallagher will be a 4x
Old 05-11-17, 03:39 PM
All American

[QUOTE=wrestling125;6763890]Gallagher will be a 4x[/QUO

you have dover, Snodgrass, Maddox, carr, and brady that could be in his wt class. these retuning placers will be tough to beat.
Old 05-11-17, 11:26 PM
All Ohio

[QUOTE=eliwes;6763912]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestling125 View Post
Gallagher will be a 4x[/QUO

you have dover, Snodgrass, Maddox, carr, and brady that could be in his wt class. these retuning placers will be tough to beat.
Gallagher is projected to wrestle 138 he is not going to see Maddox, Carr, or Brady unless those guys lose a limb in the offseason.
Old 05-12-17, 07:15 AM
All Ohio

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Gallagher will be a 4x
4x state qualifier? 4x state placer? 4x state champ?
Old 05-12-17, 09:59 AM
All American

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
Gallagher is projected to wrestle 138

I don't think you will see Paddy at 38. In fact, I think you will be surprised where everyone ends up and who isn't in the line up!

It's very early be patient. This team come March will be very good if healthy.
Old 05-12-17, 12:01 PM
All Ohio

4x state champ. Did you see what he just did to SC Fields? Made him look like a first year wrestler.
Old 05-12-17, 03:20 PM
All Region

I think Paddy will be 145 next year. Looking at the returning 132s, 138s, and 145s I don't see why he couldn't win a state title next year. He can roll with all the returning placer in this weight. We have to see how Ed's lineup shakes out also.
Old 05-12-17, 03:33 PM
All American

Quote:
4x state champ. Did you see what he just did to SC Fields? Made him look like a first year wrestler.
he has to make the eds line up first.
Old 05-12-17, 10:58 PM
All American

Quote:
he has to make the eds line up first.
I'm not one to guarantee a lineup spot for anyone, but that kid will be in the varsity lineup. I know people said that about Drew Butera last year and as it ended up he couldn't even make the lineup at Elyria, but Gallagher is the best 8th grader I have seen since Sean Nemec and that is HIGH praise.

Prior to watching Gallagher I would have told you Sean Nemec was the best 8th grade middle to upper weight (120 lbs and up for middle school) I have ever seen. I go back to the early 2000's, so I never saw guys like Fried. For people who did not see Nemec in middle school or high school you missed out. If not for having to have multiple elbows surgeries his senior year he would have gone down as one of the all time greats. He never was the same wrestler again.

As for light weights, Lance Palmer and Jamie Clark were the two best light weights I have seen that would eventually wear the Green and Gold of St. Edward, but David Taylor is the absolute top of the list of 8th graders for me. I was more impressed with Nemec as an 8th grader than Roddy, Koz, Abounader, Kuhar or anyone else, Roddy would have been my runner up. Now, I am debating who is atop my list between Nemec and Gallagher.

Gallagher is that good. I think he will be 138/145 and could easily be a 170 or even a 182 by his Senior year depending on how much taller he gets. Some kids grow like crazy in high school and some stay the same weight all four years. It is a fools errand to predict. Fun though, and I try all the time. I'm normally wrong until about October about at least a couple weights. I almost always underestimate how much kids will grow, but I have been wrong the other way as well. I thought Campbell would go up to heavyweight this time last year for instance and was wrong.

Last edited by CuriousGeorge1; 06-15-17 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-13-17, 10:02 AM
All American

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=roughedge;6764497]I think Paddy will be 145 next year.

Bingo! We have a winner.
Old 05-13-17, 11:57 AM
All American

[QUOTE=mailman112;6764729]
Quote:
I think Paddy will be 145 next year.

Bingo! We have a winner.
Mattox and Carr wont be in the same wt class next year and being Mattox was up 2 wt classes I think he goes 145. Carr will stay at 152 and Brady goes 160 imo.