Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-19-17, 08:06 PM
Junior Varsity

ArmChairCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Carl E would never allow a serious attempt at an all-star team to form at Walsh. He would be putting his foot down in seconds.
This is too funny. Walsh' baseball team drags in kids from Strongsville also a kid moved in from Tennessee, so don't give me the Walsh "holier than thou" speel. They do it too.
Old 08-20-17, 12:05 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
I thought this was a basketball thread. Now we are getting in to Hoban freshman football along with Walsh baseball and girls' soccer!?! Look, guys, I know everyone is getting ramped up about the upcoming football season, but I would guess there is a thread or two on the football website where some of this can be discussed!
Old 08-20-17, 06:36 PM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
I thought this was a basketball thread. Now we are getting in to Hoban freshman football along with Walsh baseball and girls' soccer!?! Look, guys, I know everyone is getting ramped up about the upcoming football season, but I would guess there is a thread or two on the football website where some of this can be discussed!
Thank you. Gentlemen, let's try to stay on topic.
Old 08-20-17, 10:20 PM
All Ohio

Baller
All of these guys are going to the pros just ask their Dad and MOm whom probably held them back a year in school. LEts do announcements about what HS they are going! NEEHI!
Old 08-29-17, 12:29 AM
Freshman

Copley King is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
Man, Ollison gets around...Ellet, Wadsworth, Copley, Hoban...
He was a beast at Copley middle school ,Wadsworth Pee wee and Ellet Pee wee.I seen him play at Copley and he was the best 8th grade running back I've ever seen. I know his dad and he's a stickler on keeping him in the best programs from baseball to wrestling , Every team he's ran for won a championship, if you ever seen him play you'll know why. I expect him to be one of the best high school players in the area..Its a bummer that he left Copley and went to Hoban

Last edited by Copley King; 08-29-17 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-07-17, 12:35 AM
All American

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
he's a stickler on keeping him in the best programs from baseball to wrestling?

STVM has a superior wrestling program
Old 09-07-17, 12:55 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
he's a stickler on keeping him in the best programs from baseball to wrestling?

STVM has a superior wrestling program
All thanks to 1996 state champion Coventry grad, coach chris deshon, who put Irish wrestling on the map.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-17, 03:07 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paydirt View Post
He saw significant playing time on last years title team as a freshman. He became concerned with playing time with this years freshman class that is coming in. Obviously tk welcomed him with open arms. Who in their right mind wouldn't? I think this may become an issue at st v in the coming years. They are too loaded with talent. There's not enough balls to go around. So Dru is gonna loose some kids. I m guessing he's aware of this as it has happened on prior occasions. VJ King and Jakar Sampson both left for greener pastures and both went on to have good careers. I think Sampson might still be playing in the NBA. Every coach would like to have this problem but it's a problem nonetheless.
Just to update and clarify a couple of your comments. Jakarr Sampson left for a prep school because he was not going to be academically eligible. It had nothing to do with his playing time. It was even stated by his mom he'd have a individualized education program at the school in Connecticut. Actually the Coach at St. John's University made the suggestion for the move and extra year so he'd be avle to get into the university. His brother Justin just graduated in June from SVSM.

VJ King's Dad would coach him from the sidelines. You could see the kid look over every time down court. VJ had great regular seasons but then disappeared in the tourney games in Columbus, both years. The Dad blamed Coach Joyce and shopped him elsewhere.

Same story with Dom Moegerle. Even though the kid had ample playing time for a freshman, including numerous starts and a SC ring, the Dad was not happy with his playing time. He confronted Coach Joyce who wouldn't back down so the Dad had no choice but to find another school. It was not Dom's choice. Dom would have gotten plenty of playing time this year and beyond but the shouting match the Dad started and his inability to reign in his ego resulted in him taking his son (ball) and going home. Will TK cater to the Dad? I feel bad for Dom. He's a good kid, good student and has plenty of basketball talent. But he can be full of himself too. He just bacame the "I" in Hoban's basketball team.
Old 09-07-17, 06:40 PM
All Region

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
Just to update and clarify a couple of your comments. Jakarr Sampson left for a prep school because he was not going to be academically eligible. It had nothing to do with his playing time. It was even stated by his mom he'd have a individualized education program at the school in Connecticut. Actually the Coach at St. John's University made the suggestion for the move and extra year so he'd be avle to get into the university. His brother Justin just graduated in June from SVSM.

VJ King's Dad would coach him from the sidelines. You could see the kid look over every time down court. VJ had great regular seasons but then disappeared in the tourney games in Columbus, both years. The Dad blamed Coach Joyce and shopped him elsewhere.

Same story with Dom Moegerle. Even though the kid had ample playing time for a freshman, including numerous starts and a SC ring, the Dad was not happy with his playing time. He confronted Coach Joyce who wouldn't back down so the Dad had no choice but to find another school. It was not Dom's choice. Dom would have gotten plenty of playing time this year and beyond but the shouting match the Dad started and his inability to reign in his ego resulted in him taking his son (ball) and going home. Will TK cater to the Dad? I feel bad for Dom. He's a good kid, good student and has plenty of basketball talent. But he can be full of himself too. He just bacame the "I" in Hoban's basketball team.
Good kid and good student with BB talent spells well for Hoban. TK will be happy to have all 3. Returning team is a strong group that will welcome Don into the fold and become part of the team.
Old 09-08-17, 12:47 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Moegerle is also a good high jumper.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-17, 02:26 PM
All District

ndforever1967 is on a distinguished road
Dom has the potential to be a D1 college player. Still rough around the edges.

Can TK handle the dad? More importantly can he develop a player with Dom's abilities?

Are the Hipshier boys last Hoban players to head to a D1 program? Were they developed more by TK, or their dad, the ex-HC at Akron?
Old 09-11-17, 11:22 AM
All American

Henry37 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndforever1967 View Post
Dom has the potential to be a D1 college player. Still rough around the edges.

Can TK handle the dad? More importantly can he develop a player with Dom's abilities?

Are the Hipshier boys last Hoban players to head to a D1 program? Were they developed more by TK, or their dad, the ex-HC at Akron?
Has Dru ever developed a player? Or has he just acquired them via free agency or the AAU ranks with the help of Nike and boosters?
Old 09-11-17, 12:12 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry37 View Post
Has Dru ever developed a player? Or has he just acquired them via free agency or the AAU ranks with the help of Nike and boosters?
It's easy, but more than a little unfair to dismiss Dru, or any successful coach, by saying it's all because of the talent. Of course he has talented teams year in and year out. I acknowledge that. And while he may not be the best BB in Ohio, I have seen kids vastly improve as players under his tutelage. Two recent players come to mind. Johnny Robinson from the Class of '15, and John Williams from last year. Both were talented players, to be sure, but to see them develop from their freshmen years to graduation was something to watch. And Dru and his coaches deserve more than a little of the credit.